Are online games dying?

Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox2/28/14 5:20 pm
3/1/2014 9:57 am
Jetra's Avatar Jetra
It doesn't happen as much as of the past year or so, but I clearly remember before that about how I often became frustrated as every online game I play, from MMORPGs to FPSes all die some sort of cruel death or just suddenly have most of their old fanbase run off.

A popular example is how Jagex took over Runescape, did a bunch of changes and now a lot of the old community are pissed and ditched the game behind while a new community is slowly growing.

I abandoned CrossFire because it was suddenly invaded by too many hackers. Same thing kinda happened with Soldier Front, although that game still survives today under AeriaGames.

What about you guys? What do you think?
Snowyfox
Level 26 : Expert Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/01/2014 9:57 am
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Moved to Gaming and Technology

Personally, I don't think that online games are dying, just undergoing some re-structuring as developers are trying new ways to fight piracy by having games constantly connected to the net.

/move
02/28/2014 10:30 pm
Randomness3333
Games die and others come to fill their place. If anything online gaming is expanding and not dying.
02/28/2014 8:48 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Blob
Chrix12
I wouldn't say dying, but the player base is spreading. Every time a new game comes out, the players have to come from somewhere. Which often is, from the older games.

As for Runescape, I have played it for 9 years and I prefer it as it is now compared to what it was before. Though some things do need fixing/changing/updating.
02/28/2014 8:00 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
Snowyfox
bmanrulesNo one seems to actually be relating to the title lol.

Hey, at least everybody said something about online games.

bmanrulesHeck, DeathMatch Classic still has servers almost 2 decades after it came out.

DeathMatch Classic is just 13 years old, so, not really that old...
Runescape is similarly aged and still is going well. Kind of.
I'm still upset that melee is pronounced "maylay" instead of "millyy". Voice acting really takes down a lot.

By the way, guys, I'm talking about online games for personal computers and gaming consoles, not phones.

I wasn't trying to divert the topic to mobile games, but if you're talking about online browser based games, mobile/Facebook games are quickly replacing the traditional flash games like Newgrounds and Miniclip (Sadly)
02/28/2014 5:56 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Pyro
CrespoChimp
I myself am one of the old Runescape players who prefer the old way. I guess after about a year of downhill from Jagex they finally listened and now they've introduced the old combat systems back in the game with an some of the new systems. It's true that most MMORPGs and FPSes have an older age base because they started out a decade before most games like Minecraft came out. They are getting too old for this sort of stuff and the MMORPGs and FPSes are finding trouble bringing in new players to help keep the community and games running. The trouble is that all these steam and Minecraft games are pulling all the fan-base over to their side resulting in MMORPGs and FPSes dying. It's unfortunate but true. Runescape lost half of it's players after eoc but since then it has been very slowly and gradually increasing. We don't know the future and it is hard to tell for these good ol' online games.
02/28/2014 5:45 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Snowyfox

bmanrulesHeck, DeathMatch Classic still has servers almost 2 decades after it came out.

I'm still upset that melee is pronounced "maylay" instead of "millyy". Voice acting really takes down a lot.

By the way, guys, I'm talking about online games for personal computers and gaming consoles, not phones.

Well, melee is French, so the pronounce it how they want...

Sure, some of the smaller ones are dying, but... When The Elder Scrolls Online comes out, the thought of online games dying will be terminated.
02/28/2014 5:40 pm
Snowyfox

02/28/2014 5:34 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
No one seems to actually be relating to the title lol. I don't think multiplayer games are dying at all, if anything they're improving and gaining larger fanbases (Heck DeathMatch Classic still has servers almost 2 decades after it came out. For browser based games, They're dying due to mobile games. It's faster to turn on your phone and launch an app than find a flash game. Jagex made a mess of Runescape and a mess of Ace of Spades.
02/28/2014 5:29 pm
Level 28 : Expert Lumberjack
BLESS_YO_FACE
I personally think the whole definition of gaming is dying because of the newer games like COD.

Back in the day(such hipster) I would play Pacman. I wouldn't beat the first level and then be forced to buy the "Second Level DLC" I wouldn't have 8 year olds screaming in my ear, calling me a "hacker".

And games like Call of Duty make me sick, or I should say the FANDOM of COD makes me sick. I hate people who buy the latest Call of Duty game just because it says Call of Duty on the cover. They can slap new textures on it all they want, it's still the same game. I can buy a slightly older, but the same Call of Duty for $30 on amazon, but now you have the new Ghosts, costing like $60, it's absurd!

I had some respect for Battlefield 3, as it took everything wrong about COD, fixed it and put it into a game. However now it's starting to turn into every other game.
The only differences that I see in BF4 is the fact that buildings can fall, and that some new textures have been implemented.

All in all, I miss the days when games actually had effort put into them.
02/28/2014 5:26 pm
Snowyfox
nolez15PC gaming is far superior to console gaming and the numbers of pc gamers to console gamers is like, 10:1 or something.

...Unrelated reply?
02/28/2014 5:25 pm
Level 24 : Expert Toast
nolez15
Quite the opposite, really.

PC gaming is far superior to console gaming and the numbers of pc gamers to console gamers is like, 10:1 or something.

Everything must come to an end, even popular video games, but as a whole, online gaming is growing steadily.
02/28/2014 5:51 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
This
PC gaming is becoming bigger, NVidia even predicts consoles will no longer exist soon enough,
02/28/2014 5:24 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Scribe
xxbabygirlstar
I think people just don't like change. At all. So when the player base changes, the people who were around before start acting like old people with the "back in my day" routine.

I don't think online games are dying. I just think people are growing up. Some people get jobs and families and stop caring about online games while the new generation is picking up where they left off.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome