Building a gaming computer. Windows 8.1 or 10? Is 10 Fixed?

Anxiety Opossum's Avatar Anxiety Opossum1/19/16 10:45 am
1 emeralds 1.6k 50
2/1/2016 11:01 am
HomelessArtist's Avatar HomelessArtist
I've been stuck on this question for a few days now. All articles I can find were from several months ago, and I don't know if any of the issues with 10 have been resolved. Should I get 10, or 8.1?
Anxiety Opossum
Level 74 : Legendary Pixel Painter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/01/2016 11:01 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
HomelessArtist
Currently For Windows 10 build 15 has fixed almost ALL the problems (build 15 is 2 months old) and includes a lot of better stability to games, as well as a better upgrade base due to auto driver install when adding new devices to the inside of the PC.

Go for W10 it's much better and even has a better mineCraft integration. Due to Microsoft owning mineCraft, Windows 10 has a built in virtual memory program so you can add more RAM(ddr3) memory to the game, allowing better running with low lag.
01/27/2016 8:23 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Lumberjack
Sergeant Sarcasm
Latidile
coolv1994Windows 8 is crap and Windows 10 spies on you.

Windows 7 and 8.X got an update to spy on you recently too you know... also theres this thing for windows 8 called Classic Shell and Start8 which pretty much turns it into 7 with a flat theme so that statement is completely false

Also, Windows 10 runs faster than windows 7/8.x

@op i haven't really come up with any compatibility issues so far, I've been using 10 for about 2-3 months now.. if anything I say even Fallout 3 runs better.. even with the occasional "This app has compatibility issues with this version of Windows" mostly everything runs fine. I'm sure that stuff I don't use on a regular basis or just don't use might have compatibility issues.

On the other hand.. since the november update there have been a few bugs... One being that various things in the windows folder and spread around on my drives got corrupted, for example: Explorer, the desktop would't load.. a specific thing that wouldn't let any browsers load unless run in admin mode. etc. mainly stuff revolving apps not loading unless run as admin and no actual desktop

This is quite true.
Also, sure it's an invasion of privacy, but it's purely for marketing. It's not like Win10 is going to report everyone who torrents something to law enforcement anyway, so there's nothing to worry about.
Anyway, there's a python script somewhere on Reddit that I found that will disable all monitoring. You can even make a batch file to do this for you too, there are other threads that have lines of text that you would put in a batch file to do this.
Also, just don't do express installation if you're seriously worried about this.
01/27/2016 6:50 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
coolv1994Windows 8 is crap and Windows 10 spies on you.

Windows 7 and 8.X got an update to spy on you recently too you know... also theres this thing for windows 8 called Classic Shell and Start8 which pretty much turns it into 7 with a flat theme so that statement is completely false

Also, Windows 10 runs faster than windows 7/8.x

@op i haven't really come up with any compatibility issues so far, I've been using 10 for about 2-3 months now.. if anything I say even Fallout 3 runs better.. even with the occasional "This app has compatibility issues with this version of Windows" mostly everything runs fine. I'm sure that stuff I don't use on a regular basis or just don't use might have compatibility issues.

On the other hand.. since the november update there have been a few bugs... One being that various things in the windows folder and spread around on my drives got corrupted, for example: Explorer, the desktop would't load.. a specific thing that wouldn't let any browsers load unless run in admin mode. etc. mainly stuff revolving apps not loading unless run as admin and no actual desktop
01/27/2016 6:42 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
KianPMC
I like Windows 10, and so personally I'd go with win10.
I'm an aesthetics person so yes, Windows 10 does appeal to me. Also keep in mind that by going with Windows 10, you've got the latest version - support (if you need it) will be streamlined and fast.
01/27/2016 5:52 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
coolv1994
Use Windows 7. Windows 8 is crap and Windows 10 spies on you.
Get a 7 disc or run Linux.
01/27/2016 4:24 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Seems like a lot of the stuff that was present when it first came out has been fixed. Either way, I think I'll do 8.1, and then upgrade it right before the upgrade date ends, so that I have the most compatible version possible.
01/26/2016 9:55 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Warrior
notfegel
Windows 10 fried my hard drive.
01/26/2016 4:35 am
Level 24 : Expert Nerd
dooly123
windows 10 literally is just windows 8.1 with a few loose ends attached to it that the public users / beta testers had a say to i have used windows 10 since beta and i have had many problems in the process on 4 - 5 different machines so far as of today and this month windows 10 has worked wonderful it does take a slightly more task able system but has great features and better win7 feel about it then windows 8 or 8.1 windows 8 was hell for ages until 8.1 but you should be able to upgrade from 8.1 to win10 but for future purpose i would go with w10 as it will be supported longer then win 8
01/26/2016 2:42 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Dragon
brostermedia
i made a mistake upgrading from 8 to 8.1. random crashed that couldn't be fixed, all i could do was move mou cursor sometimes, files corrupting. and yes i did scan for viruses with multiple programs and 0 results. after that i upgraded to win 10 and it work A LOT BETTER. so get win 10
01/25/2016 11:06 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Toast
BlogCraft
I have had 0 problems with Windows 10. In my personal opinion, go with Windows 10.
01/25/2016 10:57 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Guys, please note that one of the great issues with this is actual compatibility with games, and programs, as that's the main issue I'm concerned about.
01/26/2016 9:34 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
I don't think I've heard of any programs that ran on 7 or 8 but not 10, and all of the 89 programs I have installed run without issue.
01/25/2016 8:08 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
01/25/2016 7:48 pm
Level 48 : Master Baconator
SonicFan1011
Personally, I love Windows 10. I know a lot of people that say it's glitchy, but I've only ever encountered one glitch.

Go with Windows 10.
01/25/2016 7:21 pm
Leeberator
OP, you're using Skylake parts, right?

Skylake parts will only be fully compatible with Windows 10. In the name of progress, there will not be drivers released for older versions of Windows to add support for some of Skylake's new features. If you want to learn more about it, Tek Syndicate recently released a video in which this issue was discussed. It won't matter as much to you as it would a laptop user, but it's still something to consider.

https://youtu.be/l18nGFMb3fc?t=1h10m
01/25/2016 7:11 pm
Anxiety Opossum
ICEThat

Neither your or Killertoads quote comment appear in this thread. What is this scam

yes, they do.
01/25/2016 6:58 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Alfy
OP windows 8.1 and windows 10 are almost the exact same thing, trust me I've used both. For the time being if you want something more like windows 7 I'd go with 10, although it's a new, most bugs are fixed by a simple and quick restart. Since windows 10 is almost the exact same thing as 8 ALL software made for windows 8 and 7 WILL WORK.

IMO I'd go with 10, more features and regularly getting improved
01/25/2016 6:29 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
ICEThat
xejorP
Killertoad
xejorPIt's static, not dynamic.

I don't recall saying "its static, not dynamic"

Neither your or Killertoads quote comment appear in this thread. What is this scam
01/24/2016 2:32 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Leaftea
KillertoadIt's static, not dynamic.

Software is incredibly dynamic. That's one of the reasons it exists, in fact.

But, yes, an i7 is overkill for gaming. Same goes with a Skylake architecture. Why pay for top-tier hardware to play games? Wasteful.

And, to OP - forget win10, or at least until a service pack is released. Win8 is the way to go, and expect support for it at least 5 years from now.

You took that out of context, I never said software wasn't, I said the fact that it works sometimes, and not other times isn't true. It either works or doesn't work, unless you have something interfering with it.

I still say go with 7 or 8.1, and upgrade to 10 before it's 1 year expires.
01/24/2016 1:33 pm
Leeberator
10 was never broken. There were a few bugs, but it was never nearly as bad as people made it out to be. You'll notice that a lot of the people who hate on Windows 10 either haven't used it or they installed it, ran into a simple issue (like a driver needing to be updated), wrote it off as a Windows 10 "bug," and uninstalled.
01/23/2016 6:46 pm
Sergeant Sarcasm
ThePixelPonywww.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

Neither. The price is too high to pay.

I browse the internet regularly, the most I've gotten is a little adware. It's not as bad as you're making it out to seem.

As long as you're smart, you know what looks sketchy and can use basic judgement, you'll be fine using any OS.
01/23/2016 4:46 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
ThePixelPonywww.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

i still find it funny that you think privacy exists.. as long as the internet exists there is no way out of this "malware" that the internet has

@op i've been running into a lot of problems with 10 lately, from really REALLY slow shutdown time.. i mean like 25 minutes to shut down forcing me to hit the switch, to explorer getting corrupted
01/23/2016 4:37 pm
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

01/23/2016 4:25 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Programmer
deadrecon98
10, no 10 isn't buggy. I've been running it since they released it and have had VERY few issues with it and what issues I did have were fixed in a week.
01/23/2016 4:17 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
mc2squared
Windows 10 is great, I've been using it for a month and really like it. Virtual Desktops will be your best friend BTW
01/21/2016 4:40 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
ICEThat
Windows 10. I haven't encountered any bugs except for the graphics drivers, but that took only a couple of clicks to fix (using Driver Booster by IOBit)
01/21/2016 2:14 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
Get 10. I use it and it's great.
01/21/2016 2:11 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Narwhal
SackHandMann
GO WINDOWS 7!
01/21/2016 2:15 pm
Sergeant Sarcasm
Windows 7 was the OS of the much better and simpler times, when companies didn't bribe Microsoft for users private information. Long live the days of Win7.

Honestly though, Win8 is the Windows Vista of phone OS's.
Yes, I said phone OS's, and that was entirely intentional.
My computer is a computer, not a phone, quit trying to make it that way.
01/21/2016 2:21 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Do you understand the fact that I'm talking about 8.1?

It's not a phone OS. It's optimized for touchscreens, because it came out around the time when that suddenly became popular. I've been using for over a year now, and It's not a bad OS in the slightest. 10 actually is a phone OS.

Also, if you've been saying that windows 8 and 10 have the same problems, but 10 has one more, why on Earth are you pitching 10?

The real question here is "Is 10 Fixed yet." I guess I should change the title.
01/21/2016 2:35 pm
Sergeant Sarcasm
I realize this, I'm conversating and joking. I have stated before, go with Windows 10. I have also stated before, yes, it is fixed. I never said it had more problems, I said it has problems. Every OS has problems, and what I was saying there, is that Win8 has just about as many problems as Win10 in this state. I also say Win8 for short, when I say that it's a general statement about both versions of Win8.
01/21/2016 1:57 pm
Sergeant Sarcasm
I'll still stick by saying Win10 is the way to go for gaming. It's built for it, and the bugs that it has now aren't significant enough to affect you. I can say from experience, that Win10 is perfectly fine. It's not perfect, I have been having this annoying BSOD, but Win8 has that exact same problem in the exact same circumstances. And honestly I don't think I can blame the problem on Microsoft, I think the credit for this problem goes to nVidia. Almost everyone I've spoken to who has Win8 on a gaming PC absolutely hates it. Win8 is best for casual use, I would not suggest it for gaming at all.
01/21/2016 1:24 pm
Anxiety Opossum
'nother bump
01/20/2016 11:20 am
Level 1 : New Miner
jamesdavidwood
I personally prefer Windows 10.
01/20/2016 11:17 am
Anxiety Opossum
bump
01/19/2016 3:22 pm
Level 29 : Expert Pixel Painter
MineOps4321
idk I still use Windows 7 Ultimate lol
01/19/2016 2:46 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
newkdv
Killertoad
xejorPIt's static, not dynamic.

Software is incredibly dynamic. That's one of the reasons it exists, in fact.

But, yes, an i7 is overkill for gaming. Same goes with a Skylake architecture. Why pay for top-tier hardware to play games? Wasteful.

And, to OP - forget win10, or at least until a service pack is released. Win8 is the way to go, and expect support for it at least 5 years from now.
01/19/2016 12:44 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragonborn
BestAnarchy
10 or 7
01/19/2016 12:47 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
BananaInCharge
Windows 10 over Windows 7 if you're building a new computer.
01/19/2016 1:20 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Did either of you actually read the title?
01/19/2016 12:32 pm
Sergeant Sarcasm
To answer your question OP, yes it is safe to use as a new OS.
01/19/2016 12:09 pm
Anxiety Opossum
xejorP
Killertoad
xejorP8.1 and 8 were designed for touchscreen unless your computer is touchscreen go with 10

No? Why would you even think that? Because it has bigger buttons? Then I guess 10 is touchscreen too?

xejorPor go with Ubuntu (I personally prefer RedHat)

He wants to game on his PC, not use twitch and youtube to watch other people play.

Chemical_X_ and co
PS: Make sure you get a NVIDEA Geforce graphics card and a Intel i7 quad core processor and you won't go wrong

nVidia* And why? Other than being a fanboy, AMD has some good GPU choices. They have cards which tie or beat the 970 but with more vram for around the same price. And picking an i7 over a i5 for gaming is kinda ignorant. It's not that big of a difference.

Chemical_X_ and coI would advise windows 8.1, which I think is the best OS ever. PC minecraft sometimes doesn't work on windows 10 and you end up having to use windows 10 edition minecraft. So what I'm trying to say is DO NOT get win 10!

This is not true at all, it doesn't "sometimes" not work, it either works or it doesn't. It's static, not dynamic. If it doesn't work, then its driver issues, or your hardware is just too old, which OP wouldn't run into.

@OP I would go with 8.1 for now, because you can always upgrade to 10 for free later, once they get all the kinks out of the way.

read it better 8.1 was DESIGNED for touchscreen pc's not saying that 10 wasn't but Microsoft has openly admitted that 8.1 and 8 were in fact made for touchscreen

None of this changes the question at hand. I know that 8.1 was built with touchscreen in mind, but it still functions as your average windows system, I've been using it for over a year.

The main problem I'm trying to solve is whether or no the compatibility issues between 10, and a lot of programs have been fixed, and if it's currently safe to use as a new OS.
01/19/2016 11:57 am
Sergeant Sarcasm
Chemical_X_ and co
8.1 and 8 were designed for touchscreen unless your computer is touchscreen go with 10
That is incorrect! You CAN use win 8 or 8.1 without a touchscreen! I hope your PC turns out really well!

PS: Make sure you get a NVIDEA Geforce graphics card and a Intel i7 quad core processor and you won't go wrong

Win8 was designed for touch screens, it's a phone OS for your laptop. You can use it without a touchscreen, but even then Win10 is better. Win8 and 8.1 is slow and not optimized for gaming, Win10 has built in game recording and is much faster with a great startup time. Do get Win10. You won't have to upgrade once games start using higher versions of DirectX, too. So really, there is no point in getting Win8 or 8.1.
I agree with getting GeForce, but an i7 is unnecessary. An i5 is a great processor, the i7 is basically unnecessary as a lot of games don't use as much power as it can put out. I only got an i7 because I use CPU intensive programs that are not games.

Edit: Win10 really isn't that buggy, I've only had one other bug besides the usual which really isn't a problem. The bug occurs on Win8, too. So really, please do get Win10. You'll save money in the long run, because once Win10 is stable you'll probably have to buy the full release.
01/19/2016 11:53 am
Anxiety Opossum
Killertoad
nVidia* And why? Other than being a fanboy, AMD has some good GPU choices. They have cards which tie or beat the 970 but with more vram for around the same price. And picking an i7 over a i5 for gaming is kinda ignorant. It's not that big of a difference.

@OP I would go with 8.1 for now, because you can always upgrade to 10 for free later, once they get all the kinks out of the way.

I'm picking the Nvidia card, due to better Drivers. I actually initially had picked out the R9 390, But I'd rather have more stable drivers, and a cooler card, than VRAM that I probably won't need (I only really need the 3.5 that the 970 has, because I'm not planning on going any further than 180p).

Also, thanks for the input on the OS! I think that it's a good idea to wait until the OS has it's issues fixed before upgrading.
01/19/2016 11:23 am
anonpmc2067386
[deleted]
01/19/2016 11:13 am
Anxiety Opossum
Chemical_X_ and co

I'm getting a GTX 970, and an i5 6400
01/19/2016 11:10 am
anonpmc2067386
[deleted]
01/19/2016 11:09 am
Level 32 : Artisan Network
DevilEskimoGT
Windows 10.
01/19/2016 11:05 am
Level 28 : Expert Modder
Davaxyr
10 is still buggy, and 8.1 is stable. So i would first go with 8.1, and some months later with 10 (free upgrade till July)
01/19/2016 10:59 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome