Community to Recreate a Star Wars Battlefront Game

youngnill's Avatar youngnill11/29/15 10:21 pm
1 emeralds 1.1k 36
12/15/2015 11:06 pm
irritatedCat's Avatar irritatedCat
Has anyone ever played Battlefront I or II? I found those games to be incredible, and the new EA Battlefront is a disappointment to those who are used to the series.I'm here to ask people to help recreate Battlefront. Using the Unreal Engine, we can create our own version of Battlefront. Of course, the game would be free. I think that if we have a large enough team, we can really make good progress. I really want to keep the base of star wars, yet have improved graphics and quality, as well as adding new features. I haven't dived too deep into everything, but I wanted to know who would be interested in playing, or helping, with this game.
youngnill
Level 34 : Artisan Droid

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/13/2015 12:18 am
youngnill
12/12/2015 12:30 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
LastGhost
Star Wars is copyrighted... Also, you want to make it better, but after finishing the game in 5 years, you`ll have to remake it again, cuz its outdated. This is just unrealistic. Reconsider this again...
12/12/2015 11:11 am
Level 20 : Expert Pokemon
GamingAleks
-snip-
12/12/2015 10:52 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/12/2015 8:51 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
minecraftian2424
Your IQ must be pretty low to even think of that, first off... you can't just make a star wars game without Disney's permission, even having a name, Yoda written in the game would get you sued. Secondly it's not as simple as saying
"Unreal Engine, we can create our own version of Battlefront."

It would take a few years for a small group of people to create a game like that and even they would have to be very skilled, also how would you create textures? Would you just copy them from the original game or what? You really need some talented graphics designers to do that, and do you think people would spend most of their day creating a f2p game for free, I suppose you wouldn't want it to include DLCs, microtranscations, etc etc since that's what makes the game bad so nobody would get paid a cent for it.

You said you wanted to improve graphics which is impossible anyway, since they are already stunning and you can make them 100% realistic with a mod, the game isn't that bad if you have some friends to play with, I mean... graphics are pretty good, sound effects are awesome, optimisation is very good too, but you know typical EA stuff is in it too which makes it a lot worse, but the game had a big potentional and it's not really terrible

If you want to create a game, create a simple one, like most of the indie games are and stop dreaming. I checked the site in you signature and the game looks good, keep working on that instead,
12/13/2015 12:20 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Lumberjack
Sergeant Sarcasm
Yo dawg
Instead of saying "ur stupid lol" and being rude about everything, provide constructive criticism. Also, you should always dream. Creating a Battlefront inspired game would be perfectly fine legally and potentially do-able, if the right team was assembled. Unlikely, but you can still dream.

Edit: Key word is inspired, before anyone goes off on my trying to prove me wrong. Which means similar gameplay and mechanics, not same theme.
12/15/2015 11:06 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
Sorry to drop in out of nowhere, but he did put a lot of constructive criticism in it. I feel like you just saw the first sentence and said "let's nail him on that". Of course, it was rude of him to begin that statement like that, but I see his point. It's not as simple as he fantasizes. You have to find a good team AND, most likely, pay them. If you're planning to make a game with better graphics than battlefront and expect and ol' joe to say, "hey, I've studied 4 years in blah blah blah, I'm willing to work for free". Also, if they use ANY Star Wars related stuff, it would not be "perfectly fine" legally.

And to be fair, the game wasn't terrible. Sure, it may have borrowed concepts from Battlefield (Battlefront, Battlefield... hm...), but doesn't means it's a reskin. You have spaceship combat, giant levels, and plenty of awesome heros.
12/13/2015 12:10 am
youngnill
it was just an idea my apologies i did not mean to offend you. Please do not infer my IQ level based off a thought. I was already told that it'd be a bad idea already, and I already know that it would be copyrighted too.
12/01/2015 3:29 pm
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
because Disney and EA would really appreciate that, we all know how both those companies are, profit or non profit i can 100% guarantee that you will receive a cease and desist order from one if not both of them
12/01/2015 4:29 pm
youngnill
Yeah, well I have seen indie Star Wars games a few times, however if this is true then that's a disappointment. Battle cry is still standing though!
12/01/2015 3:41 pm
Sergeant Sarcasm
This is why going for a more "inspired" game would work better. Different name, very similar mechanics.
12/01/2015 3:21 pm
Sergeant Sarcasm
I like the idea, but legally, it sounds like it could be troublesome. Even if it is non-profit, you can take the example of the Red Sox uniform mod that was made for Fallout 4 that the MLB went after. The mod didn't make any revenue and had no way of doing it, yet the MLB still can sue the poor guy for making it. I wouldn't doubt it if EA would be just as harsh as MLB in this scenario.
Also, not to mention, Battlefront 2 still has an online community, you just have to get a proxy or a program to bypass Gamespy login. It's still pretty dead, though.
12/01/2015 11:50 am
Level 21 : Expert Fish
MrCatSquid
Have fun spending the next 2 years of your life working on a non-profit game, which will most likely be worse than the new Battlefront! But seriously, games aren't easy enough to make in 2 years...
12/01/2015 2:03 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
Alright, so I figured I'll just leave my input on how I think about the game as I'm a huge Battlefront fan.

The first thing that I want to make clear is that people are calling it "a bad game". I'm gunna stop that right there and say that it's not. For a game produced by Dice that is star wars authentic, the game was pretty dang good and I enjoy it every time I play it. However, although I enjoyed the game, I can't call it battle front. They flipped everything around all over the place and made it seem more Battlefield than battle front and hoping people wouldn't notice anything about it. So, although I consider it to be a great game, it'll never be a battlefront worthy game regardless of the name.

Another thing, people need to stop giving EA crap for this game. EA didn't make the game. DICE made battlefront, EA gave them the money. So all of you people out there saying "Oh EA dun goofed up again" should really pay attention to how the creation of this game worked.
12/01/2015 4:25 pm
youngnill
I completely agree with you. I'm sorry if I may have worded t wrong, but while the new Star Wars game is extremely fun, I'm disappointed that that is DICE's view of Battlefront. I would have been happy if it were called something else. Also, I blame EA for on rushing game companies to make games in a certain time period, although it is dices fault. I still do enjoy the new game though.
12/01/2015 3:28 pm
Sergeant Sarcasm
I agree with a decent amount of this, except that the new Battlefront is repetitive. There are few game modes that people actually play, and the ones that they do play get old after a while. It's a great looking game that actually looks like Star Wars, though after a few hours it just gets boring.
Also, DICE did develop the game, but EA has a pattern of pushing expansions and "premiums" that usually make it easier for people who pay for these services to be successful in game. This is not the case in Battlefront, but you can see where they focused their funds and that is not always a good thing. *Cough* $120 full version *cough cough*
Personally, even though I'm a big fan of games with great artistic direction like Battlefront, but in this case, the game is supposed to be fun. Not just look pretty. I would trade photo realistic global illumination for gameplay improvements any day.
12/01/2015 1:35 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
Honestly?
With all these games made by hobbyists lately, I'm pessimistic about this. No one is saying hobbyists can't make a great game, but it is really time and skill consuming to make something even close to Battlefront.
12/01/2015 4:23 pm
youngnill
Yeah I don't blame you. If anything, this is more of just a thought. I would love to have a remake game inspired by battlefront. I wouldn't include half of the features even in Star Wars battlefront because we are just a group of people, not a professional paid team.
12/01/2015 2:05 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
Nah, if anything this is just a rant post.
12/01/2015 4:26 pm
youngnill
A rant about what? I enjoy the new game a lot, I just would love to see a new battlefront done differently than how Dice made it.
12/01/2015 1:14 am
Level 36 : Artisan Procrastinator
VoxelBlox
I have no interest in game mechanics, or development really, I want to be a film major, and almost nothing in the game industry, but I have loved the first two Battlefront games ever since I was a kid, and I would be happy to beta test this game or eventually if you come out with a demo, I would be glad to beta test that as well.

I can do my best to provide feedback, but what I will recommend is that you create what Battlefront 3 was supposed to be, what we saw as the trailers depicted. I would play the hell out of that game to be honest, and I would include multiplayer, but keep it true to the first Battlefront games, and not this skill based game that is out today where everyone has a jet pack and there are orbital strikes on Hoth.
11/30/2015 9:31 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
So wait let me get this straight. are you making a fan type game that's not going to have the original mechanics but more of a tribute, or are you actually aiming to make a better version of the game?
11/30/2015 10:27 pm
youngnill
Well, it would have the conquest game mode, and the choice between the clone wars or galactic civil war era. It wouldn't necessarily be a Battlefront III, but more of a graphically improved version of battlefront 2, with some new things possibly. I wouldn't be adding campaign, probably not multiplayer, but just some good instant action and maybe even galactic conquest.
11/30/2015 8:15 pm
youngnill
Star Wars: Battlecry is a battlefront remake too, however they've been working on it for 2-3 years and have 1 map and 2 models and barely anything to show for in that time. i wanted to get my own community together and focus on a lot on it, however I suppose I should just wait an incredibly long Time for alpha for Battlecry. I am sorry for wasting your time.
11/30/2015 8:11 pm
youngnill
CaptainMurica
Vulture7and the new EA Battlefront is a disappointment to those who are used to the series

I as well as most of my friends have played Battlefront II for maybe a decade now, and we all like the new game. I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at.

Of course it's incredibly fun game I do enjoy it. I just miss the old battlefront and would love to see a revamped and improved version of it. I would much appreciate those whom are intrigued by the concept to reply, and those who aren't interested to simply ignore the post.
11/30/2015 6:47 pm
Level 26 : Expert Pirate
Han Solo
CaptainMurica
Vulture7and the new EA Battlefront is a disappointment to those who are used to the series

I as well as most of my friends have played Battlefront II for maybe a decade now, and we all like the new game. I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at.

Yeah, I thought the game was fun, it's been awhile.
11/30/2015 6:45 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator

11/30/2015 6:36 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1279828
[deleted]
11/30/2015 8:09 pm
youngnill
Lawsuits? It's a non-profit game. GG
11/30/2015 6:50 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
11/30/2015 6:15 pm
Level 26 : Expert Pirate
Han Solo
Why? it's just a game.
11/30/2015 5:25 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
So tell me, mr vulture, do you have experience in creating games?
Do you know anything about game engines, world design, character rigging, animation, texturing, 3D modelling, or even programming in general?

I have followed 1 year of game design so far. I had to stop due to external circumstances, but it has left me with sufficient knowledge to know what it requires to make a game.

And trust me, despite the relatively bad job EA did on battlefront, no group of inexperienced hobbyists is going to create something similar in the next 2 years.
Most people that work at EA have a full education in at least 1 specialization, as well as years of experience. Unless you have that as well, reaching the same level of quality will be difficult.
11/30/2015 8:09 pm
youngnill
Yes mr Ivain. I do believe a group of hobbyists can also great a game.
11/30/2015 1:02 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
AGearBeast
hah, i thought for a second this would be a server. but making a whole new game... hah
11/30/2015 5:14 pm
youngnill
Yeah. The whole point is just getting people together who want achieve the same goal. It is very possibly.
11/29/2015 11:50 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
If I like it, and it's good, and it's free, and if my parents allow, then yes. Sounds fun but it's unoriginal.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome