Forge or Fabric/etc?

Clikrz's Avatar Clikrz5/29/23 12:56 pm
6/5/2023 11:18 am
Cubert_4x4's Avatar Cubert_4x4
I have been thinking this for a while now. Ever since Fabric/Quilt/Rift & other etc have popped into existence I have been wondering what is their purpose? Forge by far is the best modding tool out there and has the most mods out of any other mod creator tool out there so whats so special about the others I mentioned? Personally myself I love forge mods, & I have tried Fabric mods but I see nothing special about Fabric/etc. Forge has the most creations by far & now is where I ask your opinions. What is so different about these loaders and their purposes? I hate how some mods are exclusive to Fabric & not forge compatible because these fabric only mods would be amazing on Forge. I will be adding a poll vote for those who only wish to vote, but you're open to share your opinion to me on what's so different or special to these mod loaders/engines.

Poll ended 06/08/2023 12:56 pm.

Clikrz
Level 42 : Master Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/04/2023 11:10 pm
Level 26 : Expert Professor
Cubert_4x4
#FabricGang!!!
06/03/2023 5:28 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Chef
michaelo
I'm not an expert, but essentially... Fabric is a lot more lightweight than Forge, it doesn't have the extensive libraries that forge has built in. This means Forge is normally best for huge modpacks that completely change the game, but it also means it loads way slower, updates a lot slower, doesn't run as well etc, you get the idea. So it really depends on what you want to do. Fabric is most commonly used to run optimisation mods and smaller tweaks to the game, stuff like sodium and all that lot, which is what I do. Doesn't mean it's not good for big content mods, but there's not the vast expanse of over a decade worth of stuff that Forge has.

The owner of sodium sums up the difference pretty well when explaining why they only develop for Fabric:
Forge as a platform has no interest in supporting mods which try to patch game code, and instead insists on being an API that other mods can be built upon. Given the nature of our mods, this has unfortunately led to the consequence that much of the tooling we rely on for developing mods is simply not available (or is poorly supported) on Forge.

So yeah, go with Fabric for performance or smaller modpacks, stick with Forge for the huge 1.12 modpacks. Also the people in charge of Forge are jerks, but that's a whole other rabbithole.

Quilt is basically Fabric. I forgot Rift existed, pretty sure that hasn't gone anywhere since 1.13.
06/03/2023 7:26 pm
Clikrz
Wow thanks for that, you mentioned things I didn't know was a thing. Thank you for that!
05/29/2023 9:08 pm
Level 49 : Master Explorer
spr_Cosmi
Well, depends on what mods you want to use. If you want to use a few QoL mods, or launch the game fast, then i recommend Fabric or Quilt. If you want to use a lot of mods, and want to ensure every single one is very compatible with each other, then go for Forge. Basically: Forge for more mod compatibility and bigger mods, Fabric/Quilt for more lightweight mods
05/31/2023 3:45 pm
Clikrz
What about Rift?
05/31/2023 3:47 pm
spr_Cosmi
Never even heard of it, im gonna search about it
05/31/2023 5:32 pm
spr_Cosmi
Looks like rift is dead for now, seems to be available only for 1.13
05/31/2023 5:33 pm
spr_Cosmi
And got Minecraft when the latest version was 1.18.2, but played with TLauncher from 1.16 to 1.18, until i decided to actually pay for the game
05/29/2023 1:57 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Scapegoat
Papa Enny
I never used Quilt and never questioned it

I only used fabric, which is quite limited(more for weaker devices) and forge which allows you to do more
You can at least port the mods to each other with some differences
05/29/2023 1:19 pm
Level 40 : Master Skinner
Juillyoom
personally forge mods are a bit slow to me so i use fabric or quilt mostly
05/31/2023 3:45 pm
Clikrz
Quilt? What's the purpose in it?
05/31/2023 5:34 pm
spr_Cosmi
Fabric but seems to have more tools for modders
06/03/2023 4:15 pm
Clikrz
How so?
06/04/2023 11:07 pmhistory
Level 26 : Expert Professor
Cubert_4x4
They changed the fabric-api mod to add more things and give it a 'nicer interface' i think. Mainly the mod devs just say it's easier to work with. I'm not really sure either. I use fabric because quilt i think is still in development and only one important mod has moved over 100% and it's lambdaBetterGrass. I still prefer fabric even though i miss that mod.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome