home Forumsplay_arrow Discussions play_arrow Gaming

Harddrive/OS question

1 emeralds6 replies169 views
created 11/23/2015 12:49 pm by Xelonz
last reply 11/23/2015 3:01 pm
Hello! This may be a really dumb question so I am sorry, I know little to nothing about computers. But I am going to be building a new computer soon, as of right now I have a all in one pc that has a 1 tb hard driver with windows 10. Would it be possible to take out the hard drive from this and put it in the computer, and if so would everything work fine, like the os? I know, this is a REALLY dumb question but like I said, I know nothing. Thanks!
Posted by avatar
Xelonz
Level 1 : New Miner

comment Login or register to post a reply.

6 replies

11/23/2015 2:43 pm
Level 48 : Master Lumberjack
Sergeant Sarcasm
Look up a guide on how to swap drives. You'll have to install drivers accordingly, though. Windows should automatically do that once it detects new hardware changes.
11/23/2015 2:22 pm
Xelonz
Alot of them are downloads though? How would that work?
11/23/2015 3:01 pm
Level 45 : Master Button Pusher
LeeTheENTP
You don't buy Windows downloads, you buy license keys. You download the Windows installer utility directly from Microsoft, make a bootable flash drive with the utility, install Windows, and input the key to activate Windows.
11/23/2015 2:18 pm
Level 45 : Master Button Pusher
LeeTheENTP
You could always pick up a copy of Windows from /r/microsoftsoftwareswap.
11/23/2015 2:14 pm
Xelonz
Well, I was only asking because I just wanted to save abit of money. I already used the free windows 1o upgrade on this all in one pc, but was just hoping I could use the same hard drive that had the os on it to save abit of money, but I guess I will have to spend another £70 something on another os . Oh well, thanks for your help!
11/23/2015 1:27 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
BananaInCharge
Assuming you have to correct tools to remove the hard drive, it will most likely have a standard SATA connection so you can just use a SATA cable to connect it to the motherboard like a regular HDD.

Some All-In-One PCs use laptop sized 2.5" HDDs so it may be screwed in with hexagonal head screws so unless you've got a correctly sized screwdriver it may be difficult to remove.

It will probably be a lot better to buy a brand new hard drive and use the Windows key you already have for Windows 10

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome