How is my build?

minecraftjames222's Avatar minecraftjames2228/26/14 10:19 am
8/26/2014 11:39 pm
53MP3RF1's Avatar 53MP3RF1
Hey everyone. I've decided to upgrade from my dell inspiron 17 to a much better computer. My budget is 875$, but I can go up to 900$ if I really need to. I needed my build to have: Windows 8 (Because support for windows 7 ends next year. Extended support will come, but I want to get the most recent version anyways), a screen, a keyboard and a mouse. My objective was to make a good build with not too cheap parts (Apart from the case XD). Anyways, tell me what you think.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KdbP8d
minecraftjames222
Level 49 : Master Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/26/2014 1:07 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
WTFshady
Woody239
If you're going to just play Minecraft (and other CPU-based games), then you should go with WTFshady's build. The processor is better, but the GPU isn't as future usable.
It'll also be a bit more expensive to upgrade down the line, because you'd have to buy both a new CPU and GPU.

The i5 is a better CPU (it might be the best CPU out there for gaming). So, the one that should change the CPU is you. But with mine, yes, you need to change the GPU if you really want to upgrade.

Oh, never mind what I said. You're right. The OP probably won't have to upgrade that CPU for a while. I didn't realize how similar the 4590 and the 4690 were.
And if he's mainly going to play CPU-based games, then the GPU upgrade can wait til like Christmas.

@OP Go with WTFshady's build. It's better for the games you're playing.
08/26/2014 12:57 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Woody239
If you're going to just play Minecraft (and other CPU-based games), then you should go with WTFshady's build. The processor is better, but the GPU isn't as future usable.
It'll also be a bit more expensive to upgrade down the line, because you'd have to buy both a new CPU and GPU.

The i5 is a better CPU (it might be the best CPU out there for gaming). So, the one that should change the CPU is you. But with mine, yes, you need to change the GPU if you really want to upgrade.
08/26/2014 12:46 pm
WTFshady
Woody239
WTFshady
Woody239(Assuming you're not planning on overclocking)
[PCPartPicker part list](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/RtWQK8) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/RtWQK8/by_merchant/)

\PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($50.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.45 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($209.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.82 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.87 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: ViewSonic VA2037A-LED 20.0" Monitor ($104.35 @ NCIX)
Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-SCF-12025KK-RP 43.5 CFM 120mm Fan ($4.84 @ DirectCanada)
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-KM3100 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($17.99 @ Canada Computers)
Mouse: Cobra cobra II Wired Optical Mouse ($11.00 @ Vuugo)
Total: $922.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-26 11:19 EDT-0400

It's a little bit over your budget, but it has a slightly better CPU and GPU.
i3 has a much better single-threaded performance than the 6300. Also, the 280 is a bit better than the 760.

Ok, there are some things "wrong" with this build. You can go for an i5 and get a worse GPU. GPUs these days are overpowered, and GPUs from 1.5-2 years ago will perform similar with up-to-date GPUs (of course, slightly worse performance, but still, not much of a difference). The i3 has quite a big difference with the i5 though. 2nd thing is that the motherboard will not support newest Broadwell CPUs coming out soon. So, to upgrade, you need to change the whole motherboard and install the parts again, and that takes quite a time. For a little bit more, you can get faster RAM with more modules. The case is OK, but there are cheaper cases that have the same build quality (or even better). For that build you don't need a 600W PSU, unless you will do a major upgrade in the future. Also, the keyboard already comes with its own mouse, so you don't need to buy a new one. Or if you buy a separate mouse, get a cheap motherboard and spend most of the money on the mouse. That's all I had to say.

The keyboard/mouse/case were all on the original list, so I just assumed that those were the things he liked the looks of, so I didn't take a second look at them.
For the CPU/GPU facts you said, I was thinking about future usability. The 280 will perform great for a longer time into the future than GPUs from a while ago. Also, if you were to balance the GPU/CPU any better, then later in the future, you'll have to replace both the CPU and the GPU, whereas with the 280/i3 combo, you'd just have to replace the CPU in the future.
I'll admit that I know just next to nothing about motherboards, so I just threw an el-cheapo one into the build.

EDIT: Forgot to mention why I didn't change the PSU. I wasn't really looking at the list pretty hard. I saw the large list of non-performance effecting things at the bottom, and just skipped over them. I didn't see that the Power Supply was down there with them. The little icon next to it looked like an Optical Drive, which I will not really change/look at unless the price is insane.
(If nobody's posted a new build by the time I post this edit, I'll go and edit the original build I posted)

EDIT (Again): I updated the list. I'm still not very sure if the motherboard will support the future CPUs though.

Well, the new generation of GPUs will be here at the end of this year, so you might get a new gen GPU as a christmas gift etc, while Intel postponed the release of the new Broadwell (5th gen) CPUs. So right now, a better CPU is needed more than a better GPU. Also, as OP said in the post down below, he'll play CPU-heavy games too, so yeah.. The new motherboard is the one that I used. Cheap and good quality. It will do the job. Also, the HDD is a bit overpriced. Right now, Seagate Barracuda is cheaper. Also, the PSU is overpriced too. The PSU I got in my build is cheaper and has more watts of power.
08/26/2014 11:43 am
Woodilicious
WTFshady
[PCPartPicker part list](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/RtWQK8) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/RtWQK8/by_merchant/)

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($50.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.45 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-KM3100 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($17.99 @ Canada Computers)

i3 has a much better single-threaded performance than the 6300. Also, the 280 is a bit better than the 760.

Ok, there are some things "wrong" with this build. You can go for an i5 and get a worse GPU. GPUs these days are overpowered, and GPUs from 1.5-2 years ago will perform similar with up-to-date GPUs (of course, slightly worse performance, but still, not much of a difference). The i3 has quite a big difference with the i5 though. 2nd thing is that the motherboard will not support newest Broadwell CPUs coming out soon. So, to upgrade, you need to change the whole motherboard and install the parts again, and that takes quite a time. For a little bit more, you can get faster RAM with more modules. The case is OK, but there are cheaper cases that have the same build quality (or even better). For that build you don't need a 600W PSU, unless you will do a major upgrade in the future. Also, the keyboard already comes with its own mouse, so you don't need to buy a new one. Or if you buy a separate mouse, get a cheap motherboard and spend most of the money on the mouse. That's all I had to say.

The keyboard/mouse/case were all on the original list, so I just assumed that those were the things he liked the looks of, so I didn't take a second look at them.
For the CPU/GPU facts you said, I was thinking about future usability. The 280 will perform great for a longer time into the future than GPUs from a while ago. Also, if you were to balance the GPU/CPU any better, then later in the future, you'll have to replace both the CPU and the GPU, whereas with the 280/i3 combo, you'd just have to replace the CPU in the future.
I'll admit that I know just next to nothing about motherboards, so I just threw an el-cheapo one into the build.

EDIT: Forgot to mention why I didn't change the PSU. I wasn't really looking at the list pretty hard. I saw the large list of non-performance effecting things at the bottom, and just skipped over them. I didn't see that the Power Supply was down there with them. The little icon next to it looked like an Optical Drive, which I will not really change/look at unless the price is insane.
(If nobody's posted a new build by the time I post this edit, I'll go and edit the original build I posted)

EDIT (Again): I updated the list. I'm still not very sure if the motherboard will support the future CPUs though.
08/26/2014 11:36 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
I would go with a i3 and a R9 280. Because games are more demanding on the GPU then the CPU.
08/26/2014 12:23 pm
Level 49 : Master Modder
minecraftjames222
Well, no. The games I'll be playing are gonna be Minecraft, Rust, and Arma 2. These games need a good cpu to run.
08/26/2014 1:15 pm
Afootpluto
Minecraft is actually more GPU intensive then CPU the CPU really only matters when you are playing SSP or host a server. And a i3 will be fine for SSP
08/26/2014 11:18 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
Sheezie
No.. just no..
08/26/2014 11:39 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
53MP3RF1
What do you mean, "No.. just no.."? I don't understand what you're No'ing to. The entire post? The fact that an i3 may not be ideal for playing games? You know, a Pentium isn't ideal for playing games either, but it does the job well enough. An i3 should also be fine. An i5 is where we're at now in terms of the "goldilocks zone" in price-performance (not too high of a price but you still get very good performance), and getting an i7 or i7 extreme is kind of not worth it unless you see a good Xeon for sale.
Side note: This video shows a 660 and a Celeron being used to play BF4 at high settings with playable frames. If that isn't proof an i3 will do the job, I can't be sure what is. Here is the same setup taking on Crysis 3.

ANYWAYS.

Because Minecraft is Java-based, and currently runs on a single thread. This means that the game, at a default level, is more CPU intensive than it is GPU intensive. However, for most games, it is the opposite. The CPU matters in all situations, but Afoot is right. An i3 only loses it's advantage in games if the games being played are optimized for use with more than two physical cores. However, if I were the OP I would suggest getting an i5 and something like a 260x or a 750 ti, because Broadwell CPUs aren't coming out until a year from now (at least) and it seems as though nVidia's 8xx series and AMD's next set of GPUs will be coming out much sooner than the new CPUs, prompting your ability to upgrade to a better GPU when they are released. I think the mid-point (and the build you should go for) is WTFshady's.
08/26/2014 12:51 pm
Woodilicious
It's mainly the CPU to run Minecraft, but I'm pretty sure that the GPU still effects performance in some places. (Lighting, shading, Mipmapping, maybe Anisotropic filtering)
And anyway, the i3-4340 should still get you around 40-60-ish fps when playing Minecraft.

If you're going to play other games, then you should go with the i3 and 280. Most other games are mostly affected by the GPU, so it'll run other games better. (The CPU might slightly bottleneck the 280, though. But the effect will be almost un-noticeable.) Also, if you get the 280, you won't have to upgrade it for a while, because it's a pretty good card. Therefore, you'd just have to upgrade the CPU in the future.
08/26/2014 11:28 am
WTFshady

08/26/2014 11:22 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
Roleplay_Universe
Yep. Looks like a pretty good build. But I would probably go with Woody239's build as it looks like it could do the job very well even though its a little over your budget
08/26/2014 11:22 am
WTFshady
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($208.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($86.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.97 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.97 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($11.25 @ DirectCanada)
Mouse: Gigabyte GM-FORCE M7 Wired Optical Mouse ($9.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $901.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-26 11:22 EDT-0400
08/26/2014 11:19 am
Woodilicious
(Assuming you're not planning on overclocking)

*Go with WTFshady's build. It's better for the games you're playing. The GPU upgrade can wait.*
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: A-Data 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($82.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $922.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-26 12:01 EDT-0400

You're not going to need the CPU coolers/Case fans/Extra Mouse which were on your original build list. The CPU comes with a cooler, you're probably not going to need a case fan, and the keyboard comes with a mouse.
08/26/2014 10:57 am
Afootpluto
I would get a i3 instead of the FX CPU.
08/26/2014 10:49 am
Woodilicious
What is this computer going to be used for?
List what you will be doing with your computer.
What is your budget?
Include amount and currency.
Where do you live? If in the US, do you have a nearby Microcenter?
Your country lets us know what sites you can order from. If you have a nearby Microcenter they have some great in-store only deals that you can take advantage of.
What is included in the budget?
Things like the tower, the OS, peripherals and monitors.
Will you be overclocking?
Overclocking will require different hardware than a non-overclocking build so we need to know this.
Will you be reusing any parts?
If you are reusing parts list them here.
What OS do you want?
Say which OS you want or say if you already have a copy of one.
Any specific case preferences?
Size, color, etc.
Any other special features that you want in the build?
Stuff like an SSD, large hard drive, RAID, and wifi
08/26/2014 10:28 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
minecraftboy3129
Nice.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome