[WIP] Ideas for custom phone build - "Project Light"

CaptainRogue's Avatar CaptainRogue7/8/15 4:15 am
9/30/2015 2:28 pm
Bubz's Avatar Bubz
Hello everybody—

My name is CaptainRogue. I am a technology designer and developer and I am starting a new project called "Project Light". I plan this to be the process of building a light, easy to use smartphone using a custom OS designed for the phone's unique interface. I will be creating the phone's OS off of another simple phone operating system I have created.

This summer, I will have loads of time on my hands. I will be working on this phone and it's OS all summer long and I'm not sure if it will be finished by the end of summer. I'd like to have it done by the first day of eighth grade, as then I can show people that I can build phones and I can take my custom phone building company into business. I plan to build custom phones for $450 in 2016, as I am saving for some more expensive equipment that can help me speed up the process of designing, developing, and manufacturing a device such as Project Light.

Anyways, I am looking for ideas that will make the phone user friendly by design. Where should the wake button (more commonly known as the "lock" button on iPhones) be placed on the device? How do you hold your phone so often that it would make your day to have the lock button moved there?

I'd like this phone to have a very nice, crisp design so that it feels comfortable in a user's hand. The user shouldn't have to reach across the device to lock it, they should only have to move their finger a very short distance from the main touch screen to be able to lock the device.

I know what I'm doing, and I'm prepared for anything that may come on the way. I currently have a budget of $16,400 for extra supplies or resources that I may need. (profit from business sales) I already have equipment I need, such as boatloads of computer parts (very wide range of accessories) and a 3D printer, which I use quite often to make an outer shell for electronic devices.

Any design ideas? Thanks.
CaptainRogue
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/30/2015 2:28 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Blockhead
Bubz
Locked for necroposting.
09/30/2015 1:23 pm
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
Will the system be a Gnu/Linux one that completely respects privacy? If so, I'm in.
09/30/2015 12:47 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
LastGhost
Sooo, how far are you?
07/09/2015 2:52 am
CaptainRogue
YonkersTylerI wouldn't put that "Need a custom built phone? I build and ship for $950. Customized OS included. Learn more by PM'ing me." in your signature, unless you're taking this more seriously. Nobody is going to buy a "phone" made by a 13 year old for 950$, as you can get a PROFESSIONALLY made phone for way less then half of your price.

You're absolutely right. I wrote this in the dead of night, very tired. I'll probably just put something like "Want a custom built phone? (website here)" in my sig. Nothing too fancy.

Also, in your post you asked about prototypes, sketches, etc. This project is just barely getting started. I can show you screenshots and physical photos of my last project to show you that I am legitimate if you want.

Anyways, I'll be posting a sketch of the main phone's design in a few days after I get a few things sorted out. I'll keep you updated if you'd like.
07/08/2015 10:58 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
YonkersTyler
Do you have a website?

I wouldn't put that "Need a custom built phone? I build and ship for $950. Customized OS included. Learn more by PM'ing me." in your signature, unless you're taking this more seriously. Nobody is going to buy a "phone" made by a 13 year old for 950$, as you can get a PROFESSIONALLY made phone for way less then half of your price.

Can we get any pictures of: prototypes, sketches, what the OS will look like, coding language?
07/08/2015 8:52 pm
Level 28 : Expert Pixel Puncher
RolePlayMASTER
Honestly, with google creating the "Project Ara" thing, I don't think getting into the Phone business is a great idea. I know I'll buy a well known and good company's phone that allows you to build it yourself, so you get what you paid for, before I get some random dude off the street's phone (no offense).

If you haven't heard of Project Ara, look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Ara
http://www.projectara.com/
07/08/2015 9:58 pm
CaptainRogue
Meh, thanks for the post. I don't plan to actually end up making over 100-150 phones during this process, I'd just make them and sell them potentially cheap to school friends. I don't plan for this to be a large, international phone manufacturing corporation. Just a small business that many people locally wouldn't of generally expected out of a "small business." I mean, a custom phone with a custom OS generally doesn't just jump out every now and then, and this might be interesting.

Also, some of the intent of this project was to maybe learn something new and have fun. Since I know what I am doing, I can really build whatever is possible with the budget I am given. Sweet!

Anyways, thanks for the scoop on Project Ara.
07/08/2015 8:39 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Kioki
-Bookmark-
07/08/2015 9:54 pm
CaptainRogue
Thanks dude, support helps.
07/08/2015 8:11 pm
CaptainRogue
Bumpy bumpy!
07/08/2015 3:49 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/08/2015 3:52 pm
CaptainRogue
Nice! Glad to hear somebody wants to know about the progress I will make with this project.

Thanks dude.
07/08/2015 3:16 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/08/2015 3:38 pm
CaptainRogue
Website coming soon. I think the site design looks good so far.

100-200 sounds good, but sadly the resources I am using cost too much and my budget wouldn't cover all of it. 900 is good for me (atm) as then I can make profit and enough to cover the demand of resources needed. Once a few phones are sold, I can lower the price. (possibly ordering better equipment.)
07/08/2015 2:49 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/08/2015 3:01 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Pirate
Tyrtle
He robbed a bank.
07/08/2015 3:33 pm
CaptainRogue
So true lol.

Computer business profit.
07/08/2015 3:08 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/08/2015 2:47 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
LastGhost
Hmmm. Nice topic, I could draw a sketch. Soo, bending a phone would be hard wouldnt it . Sooo, how about you have your home button in the middle and the lock/sleep/turn off button on the left side to the bottom, because i have my pinkie there (righthanded). Or just put it there where apple had with the IPhone5. Also the Volume changer thingie should be on the right top side, for the thumb is there, and easier to reach when watching a video. I would prefer a "Before" button which all android devices have next to the home button. An aux cord entry would be at the top of the phone, same with the speakers. It shouldn`t be too light nor too heavy, just so you actually feel it in your pocket or hand. Your Logo could be at the back, same with the Camera...

Sorry for all of this Mess, but I really support your Idea, and love it. I would like to help you alot with design and stuff. If it works perfect, I might even buy it, but you have to consider this: What about apps if you have a different interphase? This would mean you would have to make your own "App Store" or do you have something in mind?

Well if you need help, just PM me back, and I`ll give you my skype

-Vincent
07/08/2015 3:35 pm
CaptainRogue
Thanks! I like your ideas
07/08/2015 2:47 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/08/2015 3:39 pm