Intel or AMD: Which proscesser is better?

awj001's Avatar awj00112/28/12 10:39 am
1/6/2013 4:43 am
WaterNode's Avatar WaterNode
What one should I use for my computer?

Yeah. Intel i7.
awj001
Level 8 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/05/2013 4:59 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Warrior
josheyhalo
i have found that
intel is the best for hd stuff and games like garrys mod and half-life 2
amd is build for gaming and is ok at other things
it depends on what you play
but to make intel better for gaming get a nvidia gpu

my vote is on intel
01/06/2013 4:43 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Engineer
WaterNode
Processors don't really have much to do with HD anything...
01/04/2013 3:09 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Pirate
RevolutionalRedStone
This has developed into a really interesting thread.

Personally i much prefer the principles behind AMD, since the start they have had strong, wide and simple instruction architectures.

Intel has however always had extremely vast amounts of money, and they used there money to bend, contort, twist and atomize there architectures during the pinnacle of the RISC race.

Intel is an extremely monopolistic company; happy to use the latest half written programs for messy optimizations as long at the resulting core out-performs the competition.

P.S. MP companies ARM and MIPS shit on these guys ( tho there delegated smaller problems )
01/05/2013 8:09 am
Level 28 : Expert Blockhead
dajakos
I prefer AMD although I would also be find with Intel. But why the hell are you talking about these two? Look at your name, it may be slow but god dammit it's redstone!
01/03/2013 11:08 pm
Level 28 : Expert Scribe
Alt_F4llout
God I love Sebastian. Known him forever and the guy never ceases to amaze. The fact that he would write that much for a simple topic... Sebbby, I'm fairly certain we might just be related somehow!

=|:J{O
Exciting!
01/03/2013 10:54 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Wolf Whisperer
DeleteThisPleaseThan
completely depends on what you use it for,
i go for amd for its low prices, but high end in some factors.

i do find intel a bit overpriced, but there is the equivalent.
01/03/2013 10:44 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
sebbby
This has been a much discussed topic almost everywhere mainly because there are only two options and both are very alike. BUT depending on what you need, one will be better for you than the other. Currently Intel owns 71% of the processor market but recently, they have been slowly losing this. Just a few months ago they were at 74%. The lowest that they have ever been was in 2006 in which they only had 52% of the market. (http://www.cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html) AMD is more about parallel computing, aka more cores, hence the AMD FX-8000 series, the only native 8 core desktop processor series. Intel is more centred around single core and if you compare the usage of single core processing by Intel to AMD, Intel just blows AMD away. But AMD, in the multi-core testing scene, blows Intel away. Most games nowadays are better on single core than multi-core mainly because its easier to do so. Many games also offer support for multi-core, though. Some through mods/dlc (Optifine has an option for multi-core rendering) and some have it built-in.

Intel's flagship processor line would be the Core i7 series, the i7 CPUs are definitely powerful and less power demanding than the AMD CPUs but are very expensive. AMD's Flagship processor line would be the FX series. It boasts easy overclocking, fast processors, and many cores all at a good price but are very power demanding and are not as powerful as the Intel core i7 line. AMD's FX-8350 is the first native 4GHz processor and it has 8 cores, one of four desktop processors to have this many cores. (FX-8350, 8320, 8150, and 8120)

I have an AMD FX-8350 and I run it at normal speeds with a 1GB GDDR5 Radeon 7770 Video card and 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM. I get about 100-250 FPS in Minecraft on Fancy, Far render distance. I also get about 250 FPS in TF2 at max settings. I highly recommend the 8350. It has been able to handle everything that I've thrown at it including massive renders with amazing resolution. The FX-8350 starts at around $190 CAD and ATM only has in box stock fan cooling but I believe that like AMD did with the FX-8150 and include water cooling they will eventually do the same with the 8350. (I got my system for around $600) Also, no cooling compound should be needed if you're doing stock cooling as there is already a patch of thermal compound on the stock fan. My processor runs at idle at 30C and around 35-40C when under intense gaming so AMD has definitely either, made a better stock cooler, or improved temperature and performance.

Also, I believe that an AMD processor will go together better with an AMD Video Card than a Intel processor with a AMD Video Card. They would still work with each other but with full AMD, I would expect less incompatibilities and such. (Correct me on this if I'm wrong on this)

Also, while we're talking about AMD or Intel, NEVER get Integrated Intel Graphics. I had a computer with Intel integrated graphics and they decided to drop support for it just before Windows 8 was released... I, not knowing this, nor did I expect it, upgraded to Windows 8 only to find that Intel had stopped supporting their 6 year old product. (AKA the integrated graphics chip became "legacy") MEANWHILE Nvidia, around ten years after their product is released, drop support. In other words, don't get Intel powered graphics chips or expect your product to be dropped earlier than if you got video from a different brand.
01/03/2013 10:56 pm
DeleteThisPleaseThan
Your the only person besides Zemor, Paril and Cypress that i have seen that has an IQ higher than 100.
01/03/2013 11:00 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Zemor
That's flattering. *blushes*

Also, sebby, I would have to agree.
01/03/2013 6:10 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Miner
Phrozenbit
Depends on where you need the CPU for. I'd prefer Intel because of it's stability, and heat dissipation. I also prefer Intel compiling code.

I have had some issues with AMD in the past, both with gaming and compiling code, not sure how that goes now though, I tend to stick with Intel.

I guess AMD could be a good solution for a bit lower budget gaming rigs, as long as the cooling is well taken care off ( proper heatsink and fans, good thermal compound, proper air flow in the case etc ).

It's a matter of preference really.
01/03/2013 10:58 pm
DeleteThisPleaseThan
Sounds like you were stuck with the Bulldozer issue.(8150)
they just patched that last year<.<
01/04/2013 2:46 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Miner
Phrozenbit
Nah AMD has let me down several times, Intel hasn't. That simple
01/02/2013 10:42 pm
Level 1 : New Engineer
ap1922
I have an AMD A6 Quad Core in my laptop at 1.6GHz and it is still faster than my friends Intel Core i7 Quad Core 3.1Ghz (OC'd) Laptop. Also AMDs generally have better built in graphics. That is if you do not want to buy a graphics card (AMD A-Series has ATI Radeon HD built in)
01/02/2013 10:57 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
MrWaffler
My computer is running on the ATI Radeon HD 3200 Integrated.

I can't complain. I'm playing games all day. Nothing over-ly much like skyrim, but I can do some Left 4 Dead and Portal 2 and some newer games that aren't as intensive at a decent FPS.
01/02/2013 10:15 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Pyrominecraft2
This is kinda obvious. I don't know.

Intel Core i7 holds up unnecessary amount of memory taking up the RAM your computer holds. However, AMD takes out the memory your computer doesn't need so your percentage of memory is lower.
01/02/2013 10:08 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Artist
Beastlyblu
I like KFC.

More processed than Intel AND AMD.
01/03/2013 10:50 pm
Level 44 : Master Enderdragon
l_Pro_Assassin
hehe, I see what you did there.
01/02/2013 9:38 pm
dajakos
I like the AMD-FX 8350, I have seen people over clock it to 8.5Ghz!
01/02/2013 10:06 pm
WaterNode
So they used liquid nitrogen cooling?
01/03/2013 5:49 pm
dajakos
They do that that speed, but I can run mine at around 5.5 Ghz average.
01/02/2013 9:17 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
MrWaffler
As I find, the Intel is highly priced, and you get matching performance with AMD.

AMD offers higher OC speeds. The only downside I see to buying an AMD is heat. I find AMD processor run way hotter than Intel, but I don't care about heat. I can put cooling systems in for heat issues for way less than the Intel Processor would end up costing me.

I guess I am just an AMD fanboy, but I like their products over Intel.
01/02/2013 10:06 pm
WaterNode
I agree.
01/02/2013 8:27 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
JoshDylan
Its a simple choice. Use Intel if your looking for a quality processor. For a low cost processor, you have amd.

In my experience as a Red Hat Certified Engineer, Intel is far superior when it comes to servers.
01/02/2013 9:02 pm
WaterNode
It really depends, as I said, Intel is better with bigger and fewer processes, while AMD is better with smaller and more processes. I'm guessing the servers you work with have fewer and larger processes.
12/30/2012 5:31 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Engineer
shizzle22
AMD, Intel doesn't like to work with alot of things.
12/30/2012 5:30 pm
Level 29 : Expert Network
Oni__
I'm pretty sure I7 is only minimally different from I5 according to the ict team at my school.
12/30/2012 5:29 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Hero
GarretSidzaka
i only run AMD on all my systems and server. i will admin that intel is really snappy in speed, but amd's price point and power consumptions are amazing!!

so my vote is AMD
12/30/2012 7:45 pm
WaterNode
Intel is better with bigger and fewer processes, while AMD is better with smaller and more processes.
12/30/2012 5:27 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
GamePlayer02
WaterNode that is true one coer amd processer reached a speed of like 5.6
12/28/2012 6:43 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Zemor
Intel is great, am using an i5-3470 currently.

AMD is definitely cheaper, more for budget builds.
12/28/2012 10:51 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Miner
HexicDragon
nu intel...

i7 hit the world record for the fastest commercially available processor...

...or something like that
12/30/2012 4:27 am
WaterNode
Actually, AMD's processors are the fastest, and holds the record for fastest overclocked.
Although, speed isn't everything.
12/28/2012 10:46 am
Level 23 : Expert Network
Kytoko
Intel have a faster processor on the market right now but their parts are expensive, where as AMD can compete with speeds and has cheaper parts.

It's a no brainer
12/28/2012 10:45 am
Level 38 : Artisan Nether Knight
thegameguy311
Intel. I have an intel core i7 processor and it is amazing.
12/28/2012 10:44 am
Level 23 : Expert Pixel Puncher
DrainEMmax
Intel, I Run 3rd Gen i7 and It Is Super Fast.
12/28/2012 10:40 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Architect
xXpigswagXx
intel ftw! i run on an core i5 but there is the i7 i think intels are faster
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome