Minecraft complaints from other people, and stupid update or nerfing suggestions.

AGTRigorMortis's Avatar AGTRigorMortis2/20/18 9:34 am
1 emeralds 1.1k 27
2/26/2018 4:33 pm
_ccc_inactive's Avatar _ccc_inactive
https://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/in-defense-of-iron-and-gold-farms-in-18/

I agree with the author of this thread. But I swear, every time a person finds a certain item advantageous in a game, and it becomes known, there's always somebody out there bi***ing about it and calling it overpowered.

I'm not saying there is no such thing as things being too overpowered, but I've seen a few people make ludicrous statements about cobblestone generators and golem farms, even suggesting that they be removed from the game.

I don't want an authoritarian Mojang stepping in and ruining peoples builds just because a minority disagree with an item or its advantages being in the game.

Lava and water were intended to allow infinite cobblestone farming, if it was a bug they would've patched it long ago and plus some people literally need a massive amount of stone to build cities.

and if you went through the trouble of making an ultra large iron factory, you should be allowed your AFK iron farm, why not? you built the thing, nobody else did or helped you, and iron has far more uses in the game than simply armour, we need it for iron blocks, tools and sheers. Personally I got no problem with iron being renewable and I don't see why should anybody else, it's not even the most powerful armour or tool material.

as soon as we go down the rabbit hole of saying iron shouldn't be renewable, it'll likely be done for food items and tree farms as well, and that's a path we want to avoid as making tree or food items finite would break Minecraft.
AGTRigorMortis
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/26/2018 4:33 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Crafter
_ccc_inactive
I'm for looking at the issue from a different perspective.
In this context, my thought when I see any sort of "farming" setup wrt. game mechanics isn't whether that's overpowered- this is a sandbox game, and you can exploit anything that reproduces.

Rather, I think about why that farm is necessary. Grinding sucks in any game IMO, so whenever it becomes common (automated or not) the developers should think about changes that alleviate the issue.

In Defense of Iron and Gold Farms...iron is actually kind of a weak material. Iron tools don't even have twice the durability of stone tools, so if you're doing a lot of mining, you're going to burn through that iron pretty fast, meaning you'll always have to get more and more from somewhere...Iron armor is useful, sure, but hardly OP, so having an infinite source of it doesn't axe the game's difficulty either. A lot of us redstoners like to use lots of hoppers too, which means we need lots of iron, so we like to set up iron farms right away so we have less boring busywork to slog through...

Mining for iron is boring and repetitive, but necessary. This is a Bad Thing. Iron farms minimize the impact of that Bad Thing. +1.

The right decision here is not to "outlaw" iron farms but to consider a solution that makes them unnecessary.

What about a "foundry" structure that could recycle iron items? You'd get iron back, which you could use for newer tools. The foundry would make iron farms, for the most part, unnecessary.

Maybe you could throw iron items into lava, and they wouldn't burn, but rather turn into iron ingots or nuggets you could collect with a hopper.

Too many people like to ban things. Let's find solutions that aren't restrictive.
02/24/2018 2:53 amhistory
AGTRigorMortis
Last statement about this. Like Chandler mentioned and I totally agree with, I'm ok with specific servers disabling iron farms, but not across the board on the vanilla game. If Mojang were to do that at all, at least have it as a world option on survival mode and have achievements and stats enabled regardless if iron farms are enabled or not. That way, everyone gets what they want. and as Nitwick said, there's no reason to remove it from the game entirely unless the majority are in favour of said change.

But I will say this, people who say iron farms are cheating or "abusing mechanics" don't know what they're talking about. Abusable mechanics or glitches were usually accidental programming by the developer. With iron golems and their respective drops it's a different ball game, the developers KNEW that they would drop items and that players would take advantage of this iron bonus ability, just as they do with zombies. It's not exactly cheating if the programming of the mechanics are intentional and accessible to any player. Last edit: 24/02/2018 07:56.
02/25/2018 12:40 am
Level 1 : New Miner
chandlerklebs
Yes because there is a huge difference between what is intentionally programmed into the game and which was a mistake. For example, Missingno in Pokemon was obviously a glitch while the standard 151 were validly programmed in.
02/20/2018 3:16 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
> But I swear, every time a person finds a certain item advantageous in a game, and it
> becomes known, there's always somebody out there bi***ing about it and calling
> it overpowered.

So? Just because you don't agree with their opinion doesn't automatically mean they're bitching and whining. Minecraft is such a massive game that it's inevitable for players to have different opinions about certain aspects of the game. Instead of leaving some room for an actual discussion you're basically shoving the virtual door in their faces by somehow dubbing their opinion as invalid "because".

That's just as bad as whining about certain features "because", just saying...

If you're going to poke at issues from the past (why even go here though, just to cause drama? It's obviously not to start an honest and open discussion) then I think you could do a better job.

> as soon as we go down the rabbit hole of saying iron shouldn't be renewable, it'll likely be
> done for food items and tree farms as well, and that's a path we want to avoid as making
> tree or food items finite would break Minecraft.

Hardly. Some people enjoy realism and gameplay. And fact of the matter is that we can easily grow new food in real life but obviously we can't conjure up new metals out of thin air. There's in my opinion definitely something to be said for the recent changes.

I see you right for farm building (though, in your single player you'd always have this option because you can tweak the game anywhere you'd like) and raise you with the right for straight up gameplay.

See, in my opinion there's no need for this yes/no discussion because I think the whole thing is silly from the getgo. Play the game as you'd want to, as long as you don't try to get unfair advantages over others (now talking about servers).

But I will say this about farm builders... When I play on my favorite server I hardly bother myself with farms. I even hardly bother myself with my Elytra because I enjoy not just getting the results (my spoils) but the process of getting there as well. I don't mind farms, not at all, but it's simply not my style. I like to get iron the old fashioned way: exploring huge caves and digging up what I can find.

So...Right now I've been playing for at least 3 years on the server I frequent. I don't own massive amounts of mats, but I own more than enough to give a random new players a goodie bag to help 'm get started (usually containing several stacks of materials) and I'm still having a good time. There's still plenty of stuff for me to do, projects to work on.

I've also seen plenty of farm builders come and go. They build their farm, started using it, gained some wealth from it and eventually ended up being bored. Because... There wasn't really much more to do in the game. That wasn't just 1 incident, I've seen dozens come and go over the past 3 years.

That is the other side of the medal which some people completely refuse to even consider: Gameplay.

Are farms bad? Of course not, not in my opinion anyway. But they can definitely negatively affect your gameplay. People reach a point where they don't really have much to do anymore and so they move on. Each to their own, but how about actually playing the game for a change?

And that's one of the reasons why Mojang sometimes does what they do. Because it's not always about getting the results, the way you're getting them, so the actual gameplay, is also very important.
02/20/2018 4:58 pmhistory
chandlerklebs
You'll have to excuse my friend AGT here. For him discussions about video games get as emotional as politics. It should not have to be so but he's worried that the features he loves about the game will be removed because others don't like them. So in a way Minecraft discussions with him can turn as terrible as a discussion about gun control. That's because when it's not just a discussion about opinions. It's about the fact that Mojang or Microsoft has the power to removed features from the game that would ruin the experience of the game for people who bought the game because they liked the way it was at the time. He fears that the opinions of some users will sway the developers into doing something that ruins the game for him and others like him.
02/20/2018 5:17 pm
AGTRigorMortis
I wouldn't go that far Chandler, but seeing as the mine cart with furnace was removed from bedrock edition I have reason to believe the fan base has something to do with things like this happening with the game.

You know how you told me you stopped playing Runescape because they made changes which ruined it? that's how I feel about Minecraft, if they go too far with said changes, it might even stop me from playing. Instead I'll just move onto other (better) games, Nintendo ones, single player games which an authoritarian company can't intervene and mess up once you've got the physical copy and play offline.
02/20/2018 6:40 pm
chandlerklebs
Yes that's true and I'm also worried about Minecraft being ruined because of bad changes that Mojang or Microsoft might make.
02/20/2018 7:01 pm
chandlerklebs
And of course the issue is important because it's fundamentally morally wrong for the developers to remove the features of the game the way it was that made the customers buy the game in the first place. It's like removing Pikachu from Pokemon Yellow.
02/20/2018 7:18 pm
AGTRigorMortis
I'm of the view point that some things don't need changing

and I'm not going to accept the silly arguments from people who use realism to justify the removal of iron farming but then ignore the fact iron is recyclable in real life.

and I don't much like the idea of being forced to use stone tools for most of the game, why should I just because others selfishly wanted iron farms removed? I sincerely hope Mojang doesn't listen to those people.
02/20/2018 4:01 pm
AGTRigorMortis
"f you're going to poke at issues from the past (why even go here though, just to cause drama? It's obviously not to start an honest and open discussion) then I think you could do a better job."

so I'm not allowed to disagree with them, is that what you're suggesting? kind of hypocritical seeing as the people who complained about the iron farms in the first place were making condescending remarks and trying to suggest that people who use the farms are cheating, even though Mojang clearly intended it to be part of the game.

How is what I said causing drama? I'm giving the facts, there are people who made threads claiming iron farms are overpowered, and here is a link to another forum with a person who actually did complain about it, I'm not just making this up, please do some background reading in the things you're criticising and then you'll have a deeper understanding of why these things happen or why me and CK20XX 4 years ago authored the topics we did. www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-java-edition/discussion/163727-theres-to-many-infinite-block-sources

"Hardly. Some people enjoy realism and gameplay. And fact of the matter is that we can easily grow new food in real life but obviously we can't conjure up new metals out of thin air. There's in my opinion definitely something to be said for the recent changes."

You're missing the basic point here, the point is you cannot recycle metals like you can in real life in Minecraft, there's no way to do it, if your armour or tools break, they're gone, if you smelt damaged not yet broken ones, you only get nuggets, which is a poor substitute as you get nowhere near the resources back which you started with, making the whole process stupidly inefficient, because then you still end up crafting new armour mostly from ores, if you don't have a golem farm.

How do you compensate for this inability to recycle damaged items efficiently without an iron farm? the mining point I would understand if it were a substance like diamonds, emeralds or lapis, but iron is meant to be a common material, and is a common material in real life, in Minecraft it isn't so much with the ores, you can't multiply the gains with a fortune pickaxe and iron ores are much less common than dirt or stone.

So both you and Nitwick have lost me here, on the one hand you're trying to use realism to justify your positions, but on the other hand you won't even acknowledge the fact in the real world you can recycle iron (or its alloy steel as it is most commonly is nowadays) that without iron farms, there's no real way to recycle iron, not an efficient one anyway.
02/20/2018 12:55 pm
chandlerklebs
I agree with AGTRigorMortis here. It's a slippery slope. First if they make iron non farmable, just wait till then they'll make an update that makes cobblstone farms no longer work as well. Then people will run out of both stone and iron in their area and constantly have to mine new areas which is a terrible idea if playing on a multiplayer server. People such as AGT and I love playing together on his realm and we don't want to demolish the landscapes of our friends or potential new players. Having a way of farming stone and iron is just as important as being able to farm wheat, potatoes, and carrots. Many people would stop playing Minecraft if this happened because it would ruin the fun between friends and ruin worlds where people played legitimately in survival and earned everything they got.
02/20/2018 1:18 pm
AGTRigorMortis
Thank you, and he calls what I said a fallacy but also bases his argumentation for removing farmable iron on realism, when in real life iron is recyclable, so his assertion made no sense whatsoever.

basing a video game on realism doesn't always work either of course, I'm just pointing out the flaw with his argument.

And there are many reasons why people would want an infinite cobblestone or iron farm, rails and stone bricks being among them, because eventually your strip mines do exhaust, causing you to have to relocate to mine for more items, which isn't bad in itself, but if you're trying to get a massive amount for certain building designs I can see why others would become fed up of it, you don't even get bonuses for iron ores by using a fortune III pickaxe as I said earlier.

I could see this being even more of a problem with people playing on smaller worlds, like on the console versions of Minecraft where resources are much more scarce. It's bad enough that Creepers can one shot you now with full iron armour if not enchanted, but people want to take away the only advantages we have in order to annoy us (making torches burn out, people hated that idea, removing mending enchantment or make it inconvenient, making iron or stone non renewable etc)

Certain people need to THINK before posting such suggestions, because it's rubbish ideas like these that can break a game or ruin it for most who are playing it. I don't much like the idea of my work on my factory going to waste, because some idiots wanted iron or stone farming removed and forced on the rest of us, as if it's some rule we broke, even though we didn't.
02/21/2018 2:06 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
If you reply to me, do try to reply to me. I consider the specific point you used a fallacy because you were making an invalid slippery slope argument.

However, if you read what I say, you will eventually realize that I am neither for or against modifying iron farms. I simply don't care. It has no effect on me.
02/24/2018 1:27 amhistory
AGTRigorMortis
Again, it wasn't an invalid slippery slope argument. Chandler already agreed with the points I made because they made sense, And in real life you can recycle used iron, but in Minecraft you cannot, at least not efficiently with the armour smelting feature, since you only get 1 nugget per armour piece, what part of that do you not comprehend? without iron golems or zombie iron drops there's no way to replace the iron lost throughout gameplay, instead what ends up happening is you end up wasting ores when you could be using them for other projects.
02/21/2018 9:29 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Hunter
Brochacho05
I agree with you AGTRigorMortis i have had to deal with little b*****es like this saying things are too "op", AND I AM SICK OF THEM They just go on and on about stupid things. I'm sorry but i agree with you 10/10 on this problem. ps. i subscribed ; )
02/20/2018 2:36 pm
chandlerklebs
Yes it's part of the way the game works. Survival mode is about farming your resources. That's why I play it because you know how I am about farming.
02/24/2018 2:16 am
AGTRigorMortis
and like you Chandler, I'm a fan of the industrial aspect of Minecraft. It's funny that some people call getting iron as a bonus drop from golems over and over unrealistic but then turn around and ignore the fact that materials poofing out of existence isn't realistic, when that happens to be the case in Minecraft, if a Creeper, Wither or TNT blows something up, it's gone forever.

In real life there's a law called conservation, energy cannot be created nor destroyed, but change from one form to another, and let's not forget Einstein's E=mc2.
02/20/2018 9:55 am
raidarr
I'm not a fan of trying to balance this game for some illusion of competitive multiplayer, as that's simply not what the game is to me.Then again, I believe it is and always has been creative mode at the core (provable by the nature of versions before the esteemed Beta), so I really don't care about balancing for these things. If it is a singleplayer issue - bugger off. If it's a multiplayer issue - let the local staff determine if they want such things to be allowed or not.

But, I will say, Iron (but far more especially diamond :p) shouldn't be an easy catch. I think it is a fallacy to equate renewable iron to renewable food and trees, as both are naturally renewable. Iron is only renewable by farming mobs, which is far less natural than renewing with the built-in seeds and saplings of veggie life, or the reproductive abilities of the animal life. There is a fine line between realism and the game - I personally would not enforce realism. But if realism does exist in some form, it would only be the end to farming something which I believe should be semi-rare in the first place.

Though I still think Diamonds are too inflated for an economy. :p
02/20/2018 2:40 pm
chandlerklebs
This is a bigger issue than competitive multiplayer. In fact I've never played this game competitively. It's great for single player or for friends visiting each other's builds or cooperating on builds together. Creative and survival are fundamentally different in why people play them. Sure there is creative mode but survival mode gives you the feeling of have achieved and earned what you build because you had to put the work into harvesting the resources.

I'm fine with specific servers disabling iron farms but not the vanilla experience of the game because it should remain as it has been and people have already made tons of tutorials detailing how it's done and it's also explained on the wiki.
02/21/2018 2:03 pm
raidarr
It is only a bigger issue when people make it an issue. The only people currently making it an issue are people who are apparently trying to head off an issue that currently does not exist yet.

Personally? I don't see the point of Mojang balancing gameplay to the tune of people saying "omg, overpowered!" but people are not doing that. If people do have a problem, they can work to disable iron farms on their own servers. There is no need to advocate doing so across the board unless the majority of the community wants to do it.

But, from what I see, nobody in support of what this thread is countering even exists yet.
02/24/2018 1:34 am
AGTRigorMortis
That's because you haven't researched it thoroughly enough. There's this, and also Youtube comments, granted they are a minority, but the point still remains. True the developers shouldn't change the mechanics simply because some complained, but that doesn't mean the developers won't do it. Who wanted Mine carts with furnace removed, you? I doubt that you did, but in bedrock edition they were taken out by Jeb, Mojang/Microsoft has the power to completely kill the game and it is possible for them to kill the game in the future, that's the point.

www.minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-java-edition/discussion/163727-theres-to-many-infinite-block-sources
02/20/2018 10:03 am
AGTRigorMortis
You're not making a valid case for making iron non renewable, if you're going to compare real life to this then why not allow recycling for materials in the game, in real life you can recycle iron, so long as it isn't too badly oxidised, do you see the problem?

also it is sort of random, but iron ingots can be had off of zombies also, it's chance based however, most of the time they drop rotten flesh and occasionally armour or swords.

Many of us want a more reliable way of gaining iron so we can construct better builds. You can't even multiply the amount of ingots you get by using a fortune pickaxe on the iron ores while mining, with that into consideration I see iron golems being a fair balance, and should remain as is.
02/20/2018 11:41 am
raidarr
I really don't care if iron is renewable or not, so it isn't really a case.

Only thing I was trying to do was slam down your 'rabbit hole', as it is fundamentally wrong. I otherwise do not care - but the rabbit hole you pose is simply not valid in my estimation. Your third text segment would be a far better replacement of the last paragraph in your original post.
02/20/2018 11:49 am
AGTRigorMortis
No it's not fundamentally wrong, that was just your opinion.

Iron in real life is renewable (to an extent) and if realism would be the justification you'd use for removing iron farming, then your argument was self contradicting and illogical.

Maybe you need a physics lesson before going around telling others how renewable items are unrealistic.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome