New Indie Horror Game

Civeberg's Avatar Civeberg8/9/15 3:49 pm
8/16/2015 2:40 pm
Mercer's Avatar Mercer
Hey guys, a 3D game using no engine is just too hard to do. I'm sorry, I might try this idea up again once I get better at coding, but I'll start making 2D-only games.

Here's the only post if you still want to view it:

Click to reveal
Hey guys, I'm Vai and I've recently started development on a new indie horror game. I haven't gotten much of the plot worked out yet, but I have a basic idea and a start on the game itself coded.

Genre: Horror / Adventure / RPG
Name: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A player is alone in a field stripped of all life. He sees movement up ahead and follows it along through various stages of the game, such as caves, abandoned cities, etc. As he progresses the graphics go from being 2D pixelated to a 3D styled game as he recollects items about the story through each mini-stage of the game. The movement he follows becomes clearer until he realizes that it’s himself and the items he’s been collecting are memories from before. The world had been at war and his country had been nuked, him being one of the only survivors and having to undergo brain surgery. The story was about him making it through the surgery and piecing together slowly what happened to him.

Notes:
[1] There’d be puzzles in each stage you’d have to complete before continuing, like exiting a building or something with something chasing you or trying to find the proper tool to open a door or get somewhere

[2] Special items you collect will help you unlock secret rooms as well, but there are also some items that will be required before continuing.

[3] Throughout the game there might be something chasing him, that he has to outrun or dodge before it catches up which would result in him dying. (The brain surgery failing)

To-Do:
Click to reveal
Develop basis of plot
Greatly improve terrain generation and render times
Add flashlights, lanterns, other forms of portable light

Suggestions/Comments:
Click to reveal
This just feels like a story with no interaction. If we can add some kind of interactive element to it, I’d LOVE it. I was thinking something like Slender where you have to evade something.
Yeah, of course there’d be interaction. I wrote this quickly, but I just wanted to get the story line laid out here, not the specifics. I was thinking maybe some other creature or something that if you don’t progress fast enough catches up to you which results in you dying or something going wrong in the brain surgery. Not sure yet but I have plenty of time to work out that part, just wanted to know people’s thoughts on the story itself. Also you’d have to collect certain things, like a photo of your family and other personal things like that which would help jog the character’s memory and give hints about the story.

Sounds exactly like what I had in mind. I think there should be multiple creatures in different sections of the map with some instant killing you, others just hindering your progress.
Yeah, added a note about it. Reorganizing the page

Screenshots:
Click to reveal

Beta Build Download:
Click to reveal
Also currently not avaliable. Will add one as soon as i get a playable first portion of the game coded.

Extra notes: If you are a graphical or sound artist, or someone good at 3D modeling, I need your help! If you're interested reply here or you can PM me! And if you can think of a good name for it, leave it here too!
Civeberg
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack