Odd video game facts.

DekuHero's Avatar DekuHero8/2/13 1:40 pm
8/16/2014 12:30 pm
Skeltal's Avatar Skeltal

Left to right: Talon, Malon, and Ingo from Zelda
Who do these people look like?
Left to right: Mario, Peach's and mario's daughter, and Luigi
SideNote: notice the pendants resemble bowser.

Kangaskhan above is kind of a mystery.
A kangaroo pokemon that never evolves and when hatched, is born with a baby in its pouch.
Prior to its original release into the pokemon world cubone evolved into kangaskhan and at some point in time the developers removed the link between cubone and kangaskhan and replaced it with a non evolving Marowak. Instead of deleting the old code, they just gave the pokemon index number a zero.
If you are aware of the glitch known as MissingN0 around Cinnabar Island than you should also know thatMissingN0 Is actually short for Missing number 0. When MissingN0 evolves, it evolves into a Kangaskhan.

The little sisters in the popular game Bioshock were not always little girls, but rather tiny mole creatures who went around rapture collecting adam. Early game art depicts them as retro 50's style robots as well. I think I would have liked to see the robot version myself.

Sonic the hedgehog used to be the name of a gene on chromosome 7 in the human genome.
DekuHero
Level 48 : Master Nerd

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/16/2014 12:30 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Princess
Skeltal
In the old days that game used cartridges,people would say that blowing into the cartridges that no longer worked would make them work.
08/16/2014 9:58 am
Level 22 : Expert Taco
FLAMESS123
Most ppl know, but Dr eggman used to be Dr Robotnik in Sonic
and princess peach used to be called toadstool in Mario
08/16/2014 9:56 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
KingRex35
The first game was a space shooter game.
08/16/2014 9:55 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Sus
shinadafan2012
08/16/2014 9:51 am
Level 25 : Expert Nerd
Bobbinz
bump

Oh yeah and the lightning in Minecraft has no texture it's coded into the game

EDIT: I MEAN LIGHTNING AS IN THUNDER NOT LIGHTING AS IN SHADERS
08/06/2014 1:12 pm
Level 37 : Artisan uwu
ItsJustVanilla
Here are two more facts:

1. Yoshi's full name is T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas, according to a 1993 Nintendo Character Guide.

2. Mario Party was originally gonna support the Nintendo 64DD.
In the American version, having a 64DD connected to the N64 will just display a black screen.
In the European and Japanese versions, having a 64DD connected to the N64 will actually display an error message. This error message will be displayed in a different language depending on what language you selected!
Here's the error screen:
07/19/2014 1:03 am
Level 26 : Expert Zombie
Halorules555
I will say a bunch of facts for 2 of games.

Halo: Before the forerunners, there was an even more advanced civilisation called The Precursors. They were massive beings that are nine meters tall (3 times taller than a Hunter).

The Covenant are horrible at making there own technology. Instead they just re-engineer Forerunner technology. They would be less advanced than Humanity.

Around the time of the Forerunners, Humanity is just as advanced as them and even found a way to reverse the effects of the Flood. The research was destroyed during the war that the Forerunners won, which was unintentionally started when Humanity was forced to invade there territory. I found all this out before the release of Halo 4 and I can remember it off by heart.

Fallout: The UN was disbanded when petroleum was running low. This lead to Chine invading Anchorage, Alaska to steal it's resources. After a sort, brutal campaign, the U.S Army defeats the Chinese and takes back the city.

Russia was most likely on America's side as they had strong relations.

These facts are like prologues. But not many people know these "facts". I can remember all this off by heart like I said before.
08/16/2014 10:10 am
Level 29 : Expert Explorer
TheHipster
It's funny how you went into so much detail, when you later realize; Oh wait, it's just a game.
07/19/2014 12:49 am
Level 20 : Expert Zombie
Goku_LSSJ
Heres a fact most girls will turn you down if you use odd video game facts as a conversation starter D
08/16/2014 9:59 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Sus
shinadafan2012
07/19/2014 12:32 am
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
I think Mario's voice actor also voices Paarthurnax, the most epic dragon of all time.
07/19/2014 12:36 am
Level 44 : Master Wolf Whisperer
ImaLittleCreeper
Yup it's true
07/19/2014 12:39 am
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
07/18/2014 11:19 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
Ghei
Sonic being a hedgehog wasn't near the first design choice for him, in fact, Dr. Robotnik was an idea for the hero, but became the villain instead
07/18/2014 11:10 pm
Level 27 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
You might see many champions in League of Legends the look like characters from other things...
also...
in b4 thread gets locked
07/18/2014 11:01 pm
ItsJustVanilla
The PS2 version of Dead or Alive 2 is actually unfinished.

While the team was porting the game from the Dreamcast to the PS2, the sales manager of the company asked to "borrow" a copy of the unfinished game so they could play it. Instead, they took the game straight to publishing.
06/12/2014 9:27 pm
ItsJustVanilla
Yay. I think I revived this thread.
06/12/2014 7:33 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Artist
PhoenixMagic
1). In The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening, the advisor from the SNES version of Sim City, Dr Wright, appears in a house. He's named after Will Wright, the creator of the Sim series.

2). Star Fox Adventures originally started life as Dinosaur Planet, a game developed entirely by Rare. It starred a blue fox called Krystal, who later became part of the Star Fox crew.
06/12/2014 7:14 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
Mooosh
Bump
06/12/2014 6:49 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Dragon
Malaionus
You can get to the cake in Portal 1 by cheating
06/12/2014 6:22 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Princess
Skeltal
Did you know Pac-man was known as Puck-Man?
06/12/2014 6:11 pm
ItsJustVanilla
In LittleBigPlanet 3, Oddsock is the best thing ever!
06/12/2014 6:09 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
mine craft build
In little big planet
Sometimes when you move you move your head and sometimes you move your hips
06/12/2014 6:04 pm
ItsJustVanilla
Oh boy... time to post in this thread again...

Did you know that you can eject the Animal Crossing disc from the Gamecube and still be able to play it?
It's because Animal Crossing's file size is very small, due to the fact that it was originally an N64 title. Due to the small file size, the game can be loaded entirely into the Gamecube's RAM.
From what I've heard, you still won't be able to play the NES games in-game without the disc. Not sure if this is true, though.

Obviously, you'll be able to continue playing without the disc until the Gamecube is either turned off or reset.
08/19/2013 9:56 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Skinner
Reptillion
Diablo 3 has been in development for a bout 11 years O_O And it's STILL not out!
08/19/2013 9:52 am
ItsJustVanilla
I hope this'll bring this topic back to life...
*ahem*
Spyro's skin color was originally green, but was changed to purple to stop his skin from blending in with the grass.
08/09/2013 4:54 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Psychocrap
The puck-man thing is true. It was changed because whoever created it was scared that vandals would change the "P" on the arcade machine into an "F".
08/06/2013 12:15 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
DanTheYellowYoshi
Kirby was originally just a place-holder sprite, which explains his simple appearance. Masahiro Sakurai liked Kirby's design, and made him the star of the game.

Miyamoto originally wanted Kirby to be yellow, and Sakurai wanted him to be pink. It was eventually decided that he would be pink. NOA was never told what color Kirby was supposed to be, so he was displayed as white on the American box art of Kirby's Dreamland, just to be safe.
08/05/2013 11:42 pm
ItsJustVanilla
A game for the PlayStation 2 named Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love was released in Japan in 2005, but wasn't released until 2010 in North America.
08/08/2013 9:15 am
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
I name this a blatant truth!
08/05/2013 8:12 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pokemon
Creamyman
the space miner in dead space 1 is a girl O_O
also where does sonic keep his rings?
08/05/2013 8:14 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
DragoPug
his arms
08/05/2013 12:11 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Hero
sed11
(Some of these might not really be "Odd".)
Porky from Mother 2 was called Pokey in EarthBound, or the USA version of Mother 2.

Mother 3 was planned to be EarthBound 64 for the N64, but was delayed and never released by that name, and eventually released as Mother 3 for the gameboy advanced in Japan only.

Banjo Tooie has unused code for a "Devil Bottles" controlled by player 2 that can be activated with a GameShark.

Minecraft's Creepers came from Notch failing a pig model.

Nintendo's R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy) was advertised as a toy instead of an NES accessory used for games due to a "Video Game Crash" that happened in 1983. (I saw this somewhere....)

The name of the main character of EarthBound (Ness) is an anagram of SNES.

On Pokemon Stadium, if you have a Pokemon gameboy cartridge with MissingNo., and you transport MissingNo. over to Pokemon Stadium and view its data while in Professor Oak's lab, it looks like the model used for a pokemon that uses the move "Substitute". If you try to use MissingNo., the game freezes.

Giga Bowser is in Super Smash Bros. games only, and Bowser is the only character to get a monster-like transformation that is unplayable in Melee.
08/04/2013 11:06 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Narwhal
egamosthe2
Charles Martinet voices Mario.
08/04/2013 1:54 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
The original Animal Crossing came out on the N64 for Japan, but was released on the Gamecube for the rest of the world.
08/04/2013 1:15 pm
Level 25 : Expert Nerd
Bobbinz
Okay this may be old but:

In Half Life 2, at the start of the game in the playground, you can hear some old sound files for a NPC (Child Worker) that was never implemented.
08/04/2013 12:14 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
peach was almost replaced by daisy
08/05/2013 9:51 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
It's not Hell Valley... It's Shiverburn Galaxy (mainly), and then it might also be in Melty Monster Galaxy and the fifth section of Grandmaster Galaxy.

I guess the background could kind of be Hell Valley-ish...
08/04/2013 12:15 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
:O

the shadow people have invaded mario!
08/04/2013 12:02 pm
Level 26 : Expert Zombie
trolz666
Just go to didyouknowgaming.com for facts.
08/04/2013 11:59 am
CalPal_
There’s a difference between the Japanese and US versions of Resident Evil 4. It occurs whenever Leon is killed by Mr Chainsaw. In the US version, his head is chopped off by the ‘saw. However, in the Japanese version, it cuts off part of Leon's face, exposing half of the front of Leon's skull and a single eyeball.
08/04/2013 11:57 am
CalPal_
MrCreep3r1337
MinecraftGuysBlogOkami was originally going to have a realistic look, but it proved too taxing for the PS2, forcing the devs to change to it's epic, painted look.

Isn't there an easter egg that lets you see footage of the game's realistic look?

Yeah, once you beat the game, you unlock it.
08/04/2013 11:54 am
ItsJustVanilla
MinecraftGuysBlogOkami was originally going to have a realistic look, but it proved too taxing for the PS2, forcing the devs to change to it's epic, painted look.

Isn't there an easter egg that lets you see footage of the game's realistic look?
08/04/2013 11:53 am
ItsJustVanilla
A tech demo at Spaceworld 2000 called Mario 128 was made to show off the Gamecube's power. Some features from the tech demo were used in later games.

For example, the controlling of 128 Marios was later used in Pikmin, and the sphere based movement was later used in Super Mario Galaxy.
08/04/2013 11:52 am
CalPal_
Okami was originally going to have a realistic look, but it proved too taxing for the PS2, forcing the devs to change to it's epic, painted look.
Mega Man is known as Rock Man in Japan.
FFVII Was originally going to be on N64, but had to be moved because the game would have taken up 13 N64 cartridges.
08/04/2013 11:42 am
ItsJustVanilla
Jaxtrm_Did you know that Pokémon Gold and Silver were supposed to be the final games?

Yes. I did. Besides, they quote-on-quote "wanted everything about these games to be gold and silver".
08/04/2013 11:06 am
Level 32 : Artisan Blockhead
3Ravens98
I don't know if it's odd or not but I thought it was interesting.

Michael Jackson composed the music for Sonic the Hedgehog 3, but wasn't given any credit.
08/04/2013 11:43 am
ItsJustVanilla
The reason he wasn't given credit was because he wasn't satisfied with the way the music sounded after being put on the cartridge.
08/04/2013 10:02 am
Level 24 : Expert Taco
Jaxtrm_
Did you know that both Delia and Ash Ketchum are voiced by the same person?

Did you know that Pokémon Gold and Silver were supposed to be the final games?

Did you know that Gold and Silver went through a development cycle of over 4 years?

Did you know that in the Legend of Zelda, a dungeon is shaped like a swastika? However, in Buddhist religion, swastikas represent something much different that Hitler's use. Swastika can be translated to, "to be good," or, "being with higher self."

Did you know that Whitney's gym is shaped like a Clefairy?

Everyone knows the Uno Dos Tres of the legendary birds, but...
DID YOU KNOW that if you look at the headcrests on the legendary beasts, you can see the X-shape on Raikou, 5 points on Entei, and a hexagon on Suicune? Don't get it? 4, 5, 6.

DID YOU KNOW. That Arcanine was supposed to be a legendary, but they thought it would be too confusing for there to be 2 birds and a dog, so they just slapped a pre-evolution on him and made Moltres.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome