Opinions on custom Linux Distro?

supernotch893's Avatar supernotch89311/17/14 7:21 pm
1 emeralds 2.2k 21
11/29/2014 9:13 am
supernotch893's Avatar supernotch893
I was working on my own Linux distro. Any opinions, thoughts, suggestions for software I should add?

Distro name: UltraLinux (based on Kubuntu 14.04 "trusy tahr")
Idea behind this distro: A linux distro that is for EVERYONE, yes even for trolls, however it isn't for anyone who does NOT have a 64 bit capable PC and a DVD drive (or a free USB port and a 4 gig USB lying around).
Screenshots:

Included software: The whole KDE software suite, LibreOffice, VLC, Audacity, Blender, Thunderbird, Firefox, Chromium, Minetest (a Minecraft clone), 0 A.D., SuperTuxKart, DOSBox, The GIMP, and more.

Have I uploaded it somewhere yet? No, but I might upload it when I get some feedback on my distro. I'll also start a SourceForge page for it at some point too.

REQUIREMENTS FOR FULL INSTALL:
Click to reveal
900Mhz or better single-core CPU (1Ghz dual-core or better recommended unless your CPU is an AMD C50, in which case, forget about it.)
1.5 gigs of RAM for (2 gigs or more recommended)
30 gig hard drive or a 32 gig SSD for OS install and a little bit of space to save files. (The more, the better.)
Blank DVD+/-R or spare 4 gig USB flash drive or SD card to boot the live system from
64-bit capable CPU (This OS is so heavyweight, I didn't even bother to consider the legacy 32 bit systems, though I will eventually release a 32 bit version of this distro targeted at legacy devices not able to boot Windows 8. Wether I do or not depends on what people think of this OS. If people like it, I'll make a 32 bit edition that will have the same software)
Lastly, a 1024x600 display (1280x720 recommended, and no it won't work properly with less than 1024 horizontal pixels) and an OpenGL-capable graphics card for fancy effects

REQUIREMENTS FOR MINIMAL INSTALL:
Click to reveal
900MHz 64-bit capable (for 64 bit install) or 32-bit capable (for 32 bit install) CPU (1GHz for either architecture recommended)
800x600 screen (1024x600 or better recommended) with an OpenGL-capable graphics card for optional fancy effects
768 megs of RAM (1 gig or higher recommended)
15 gigs of hard disk space for the OS and a little. (The more, the better)
A blank DVD
Blank DVD or 2 gig USB drive or SD card for installation

KNOWN ISSUES:
Steam won't start on the live session. SOLUTION: If you start Steam, reboot the system back into the live session and not load Steam in the first place. Solution 2: Install the OS.
DOSBox won't close. Solution: Try using the terminal command xkill and click on DOSBox
Wine isn't included and is "broken" in the live session. Solution: Install the OS and install Wine from there using the terminal command sudo apt-get install wine1.6 and supply your password

EDIT: This isn't intended as advertising, just asking for opinions wether it's good or bad.
EDIT 2: Switched to SIMG for pictures.

There's the minimal install of my distro for 64 bit machinesand here's the 64 bit full install. 32 bit minimal install coming soon hopefully!
supernotch893
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/27/2014 6:17 pm
Level 1 : New Network
99online
Hmm, looks interesting. Best of luck on it. But personally I think the distro would be alot more...stable if it was a derative of Debian, rather than a derative of a derative of Debian. Just a thought, anyway good luck on your distro! I'm currently running Crunchbang (based on Debian) but it looks pretty cool.
I used Ubuntu before though, but I must say the system I use (Crunchbang) is based off Debian and seems much more stable. Maybe your system will be good though, plus that's a long-term support distro right? Again, best of luck! We'll see how the project goes.
11/29/2014 9:13 am
supernotch893
It IS a derivative of Debian in a way. It's based off of Kubuntu 14.04 LTS, which is based off of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which is Debian-based. So yes, it has native Steam support, and every xx.04 I'm releasing a new ISO with some changes, such as a new boot logo for plymoth (which runs before init!)
11/27/2014 5:48 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Modder
Lpswheat
supernotch893I was working on my own Linux distro. Any opinions, thoughts, suggestions for software I should add?

Distro name: UltraLinux (based on Kubuntu 14.04 "trusy tahr")
Idea behind this distro: A linux distro that is for EVERYONE, yes even for trolls, however it isn't for anyone who does NOT have a 64 bit capable PC and a DVD drive (or a free USB port and a 4 gig USB lying around).
Screenshots:

Included software: The whole KDE software suite, LibreOffice, VLC, Audacity, Blender, Thunderbird, Firefox, Chromium, Minetest (a Minecraft clone), 0 A.D., SuperTuxKart, DOSBox, The GIMP, and more.

Have I uploaded it somewhere yet? No, but I might upload it when I get some feedback on my distro. I'll also start a SourceForge page for it at some point too.

REQUIREMENTS FOR FULL INSTALL:
Click to reveal
900Mhz or better single-core CPU (1Ghz dual-core or better recommended unless your CPU is an AMD C50, in which case, forget about it.)
1.5 gigs of RAM for (2 gigs or more recommended)
30 gig hard drive or a 32 gig SSD for OS install and a little bit of space to save files. (The more, the better.)
Blank DVD+/-R or spare 4 gig USB flash drive or SD card to boot the live system from
64-bit capable CPU (This OS is so heavyweight, I didn't even bother to consider the legacy 32 bit systems, though I will eventually release a 32 bit version of this distro targeted at legacy devices not able to boot Windows 8. Wether I do or not depends on what people think of this OS. If people like it, I'll make a 32 bit edition that will have the same software)
Lastly, a 1024x600 display (1280x720 recommended, and no it won't work properly with less than 1024 horizontal pixels) and an OpenGL-capable graphics card for fancy effects

REQUIREMENTS FOR MINIMAL INSTALL:
Click to reveal
900MHz 64-bit capable (for 64 bit install) or 32-bit capable (for 32 bit install) CPU (1GHz for either architecture recommended)
800x600 screen (1024x600 or better recommended) with an OpenGL-capable graphics card for optional fancy effects
768 megs of RAM (1 gig or higher recommended)
15 gigs of hard disk space for the OS and a little. (The more, the better)
A blank DVD
Blank DVD or 2 gig USB drive or SD card for installation

KNOWN ISSUES:
Steam won't start on the live session. SOLUTION: If you start Steam, reboot the system back into the live session and not load Steam in the first place. Solution 2: Install the OS.
DOSBox won't close. Solution: Try using the terminal command xkill and click on DOSBox
Wine isn't included and is "broken" in the live session. Solution: Install the OS and install Wine from there using the terminal command sudo apt-get install wine1.6 and supply your password

EDIT: This isn't intended as advertising, just asking for opinions wether it's good or bad.
EDIT 2: Switched to SIMG for pictures.

There's the minimal install of my distro for 64 bit machinesand here's the 64 bit full install. 32 bit minimal install coming soon hopefully!

I like it a lot but the UI looks cluttered, try to make it cleaner.
11/23/2014 8:56 am
supernotch893
bump. no moar opiniions?
11/22/2014 9:06 am
supernotch893
bump
11/21/2014 2:59 pm
supernotch893
bump. anyone intrested could put this on a flash drive and try it.
11/20/2014 3:05 pm
supernotch893
bump. adding 32 bit edition, will have same software as 64 bit minimal, and changing look of both 64 bit minimal and 32 bit to look like the 64 bit full edition.
11/18/2014 4:31 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1280016
[deleted]
11/18/2014 4:38 pm
supernotch893
I tried adding wine but it said it was broken, but you can always install it as an option. Also if you want a more lightweight distro, this probably isn't for you but you can always remove what you don't need, at least until I decide to release a minimal release with only the base software such as synaptic, firefox, chromium, steam, libreoffice, vlc, and the whole KDE software suite. All that is also gonna be in the 32 bit release if I make one. And yes, it includes a floppy disk formatter and a modem dialer for those lazy people that like 56k and have tons of time to kill and have probably been fired 1000 times in a single year, or for those who can't afford modern broadband. The floppy formatter is for formatting those old and semi-obsolete disks of floppiness, and unfortunately, it only supports 3.5 inch 720k, 360k and 1.4M and 5.25 inch 360k, 720k, and 1.2M disks.
11/20/2014 3:14 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1280016
[deleted]
11/20/2014 3:38 pm
supernotch893
good point...well, back to revising the 64 bit isos. I'm working on the 32 bit iso atm, and it's gonna be a carbon copy of the 64 bit minimal iso, except...it has the usual 32 bit limits of a little over 3 gigs of memory...but good point.
11/20/2014 6:29 pm
supernotch893
There's unfortunately gonna be no 32 bit version because for some reason I get an error saying /casper/vmlinuz file not found. and it's annoying. Also, zip disk support is included by default. Same with LS120 and 240 disks I think.
11/18/2014 4:18 pm
supernotch893
Update: Added TOR and removed the installer from the desktop so there won't be any quirks in the full install, also added financial tools for those who like cash and managing that stuff. I didn't add any drivers for graphic cards though because I didn't want to add proprietary software to it. Also removed the Ubuntu Software Center because it doesn't work for some reason. Also added more dev tools.

Building the ISO image right now, gonna release the ISO on a forum site and upload it to mediafire (though it'll take ages) and also link my distro here too for any fellow minecrafters willing to try out the 4th revision live cd (yes this is the 4th revision I made, the first 3 i tested myself and on the first one I had to change Ubiquity a little, on the second I had to add Steam, and on the 3rd revision I added a dial-up dialer, and in this revision I added financial tools and removed the Software Center).
Just be warned that you should have a Windows setup disc on hand just in case you goof up or if you have a prebuilt from an OEM, you have a form of recovery media.
11/18/2014 7:09 am
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Trying putting your images in the SIMG tags.
[simg]www.example.com/photo.png[/simg]

As for the OS, looks interesting.
11/18/2014 7:24 am
supernotch893
Changed all IMG tags to SIMG
11/18/2014 6:57 am
supernotch893
Ok, I'll try to do some of these things such as including Tor. Unfortunately, I can't do the transparent menu things because Virtualbox (which is what I did this in) won't allow it due to it not having OpenGL support, but hopefully that's an option that one could enable.
11/17/2014 10:33 pm
Level 29 : Expert Modder
generalcedric
Sorry, but i cant stand not pointing out Uranus in a screeny

Other than that, it looks grrreat!

Try for a little transparency on the menu's, sort of like ubuntu..

You know, if you just preety it up a little, make a user thing, and it was stable and fast, i'd install it!

But who am i to judge, i don't know the slightest bit about making os's xD

Anyways, it looks awesome! Keep it up

-cedric
11/17/2014 7:59 pm
Level 22 : Expert Toast
invincible64
Dats pretty cool. You should include the tor browser in it, for the hardcore privacy advocates.
11/19/2014 5:07 pm
supernotch893
Tor added.
11/17/2014 7:53 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
epixgamer01
no more opinions on this distro and hows it going?
11/17/2014 7:39 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
epixgamer01
._. i wish i could try that...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome