Opinions on Windows 10?

1 emerald55 replies2,186 views
created 07/30/2015 1:34 pm by LanceuhLot
last reply 08/09/2015 5:22 pm
What are your opinions on Windows 10?
Posted by avatar
LanceuhLot
Level 1 : New Miner

comment Login or register to post a reply.

55 replies

08/09/2015 5:22 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Code_7
CaptainMurica
Dr__Steve
WIndows 7 (and Windows Server 2008) is still supported, they still make patches.

For the enterprise, yes. Support ends in 2020 for enterprise licenses.

The dates for Home users and Enterprise is the same.

Mainstream Support for Windows 7 ended last january (1/13/15)
Extended Support ends 1/14/2020

After 1/14/2020, all versions of windows 7 (server or desktop) will be unsupported and not receive any updates or security updates.
that is.. unless someone pays microsoft to support the OS for an extended duration (like banks did for XP when it hit EOL)

Mainstream support means.. the ability to contact microsoft about issues your having with windows 7, features being added or taken away from the OS, or Bug fixes/Hotfixes ect
Extended Support basically means security patches

so like right now, for the poor number of people that are stuck on XP. (yes they do exist) they are not receiving any sort of security updates to the OS. so as time wears on, more and more bugs will be found with windows XP and it'll be easier and easier to crack into.

Sources:

Windows 7 (Desktop) Support dates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=14019
Windows Server 2008 R2 Support dates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?sort=PN&alpha=Windows%20server%202008&Filter=FilterNO

meaning of Mainstream vs Extended: http://www.networkworld.com/article/2453561/microsoft-subnet/the-difference-between-end-of-mainstream-support-and-end-of-extended-support.html
and.. if you'd like a microsoft website instead.. : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

PS: this is WAAAAY off topic lol
08/09/2015 4:49 pm
Level 27 : Expert Blockhead
minthus
i dont think im gonna switch now on maybe later on
08/09/2015 4:30 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect
Pi Time Productions
I'm also getting sick of the "modern" look. It's too simple and lacks visual design. I could have designed the window frames in MS Paint. I liked windows 7, especially the aero glass, it looked so nice!

I've heard alot about DX12, but it doesn't matter to me, since I suck at most video games (I'm only good at sandbox games), especially the new resource-demanding ones.
08/09/2015 4:49 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
LeeTheENTP
08/09/2015 3:45 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1072506
[deleted]
08/09/2015 3:41 pm
LeeTheENTP
Dr__Steve
WIndows 7 (and Windows Server 2008) is still supported, they still make patches.

For the enterprise, yes. Support ends in 2020 for enterprise licenses.
08/09/2015 3:37 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect
Pi Time Productions
Don't wanna deal with issues with compatibility, moveing my files around to proper location and getting the settings to how I want the settings to be. I'm waiting about half a year or until it is perfect.
As I mentioned elsewhere, I still use Windows XP and Windows Vista for special reasons.
08/09/2015 3:22 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Robot
Dr_Steve
CaptainMurica
UltraFireFX
XP isn't getting security patches anymore

Neither is Windows 7. Not for consumers, at least.

closer75 JRHEWell considering it requires your current 7/8 OS to be perfect and it will still have many errors when trying to update, currently have to give it a 0/10.

My laptop upgraded with no issues, and my desktop only had one issue that was resolved by just running the media creation tool again.

Additionally, windows Vista support is ending on April 11, 2017, can't wait till then!
08/09/2015 3:17 pm
LeeTheENTP
UltraFireFX
XP isn't getting security patches anymore

Neither is Windows 7. Not for consumers, at least.

closer75 JRHEWell considering it requires your current 7/8 OS to be perfect and it will still have many errors when trying to update, currently have to give it a 0/10.

My laptop upgraded with no issues, and my desktop only had one issue that was resolved by just running the media creation tool again.
08/09/2015 3:11 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1072506
[deleted]
08/09/2015 2:34 pm
Level 1 : New Network
EpicChicken_YT
My Windows 10 is horribly laggy. The start menu and search features just refuse to work, and it takes my desktop icons ~2 minutes to load.

Before you say it's because my PC sucks, here are my specs:

Intel i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Cruical 32GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM

OS is installed on a 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
08/09/2015 2:05 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Explorer
supernotch893
I love Win10. It's faster (slightly) than Win8.1 on my desktop, and since I had to reinstall Windows on my mom's notebook recently due to too many viruses, I upgraded it and reinstalled. To my suprise, everything worked without downloading a single driver manually (the only time such a thing happens).
08/09/2015 6:01 am
Level 22 : Expert Ninja
_benjimaestro
ThePixelPonyWindows 10 is a bot-net

You can literally turn it off.

08/09/2015 5:27 am
Level 22 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
Its free.
08/09/2015 3:57 am
Level 21 : Expert Cake
Halorules555
Well, it's faster!
08/09/2015 3:50 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
YTCereal
Good and i just lost 3 GB of Internet.
08/09/2015 2:17 am
Level 36 : Artisan Programmer
deadrecon98
It's amazing, I don't see what's not to like about it. Let them spy on me I say, i've got nothing to hide.
08/09/2015 2:02 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
xTechHoe
#Linux. I only feed my machine the best.
08/09/2015 1:56 am
Level 40 : Master Mage
Pixel
Windows 10 is a bot-net.

Quote:
Windows 10 has just arrived and there’s a new Privacy Policy and Service Agreement from Microsoft coming swiftly in its wake.

The new policies take effect on 1 August and there are a few unsettling things nestling in there that you should be thinking about if you’re using the company’s services and software.

The Privacy Statement and Services Agreements combined come to 45 pages. Microsoft’s deputy general counsel, Horacio Gutierrez wrote that they are “straightforward terms and polices that people can clearly understand.” The reality is, you’re probably not going to read them. So I did…

And, like so many other companies, Microsoft has grabbed some very broad powers to collect things you do, say and create while using its software. Your data won’t be staying on your computer, that much is for sure.

Data syncing by default
Sign into Windows with your Microsoft account and the operating system immediately syncs settings and data to the company’s servers. That includes your browser history, favorites and the websites you currently have open as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords.

You can deactivate that by hopping into settings, but I’d argue that it should be opt-in rather than on by default. Many users won’t get round to turning it off, even though they would probably want to.

Quote:
Cortana is a sexy spy in the machine
Turn on Cortana, the virtual assistant, and you’re also turning on a whole host of data sharing:

To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device.

Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more.”

Lots of things can live in those two words “and more.” Also note that because Cortana analyzes speech data, Microsoft collects “your voice input, as well as your name and nickname, your recent calendar events and the names of people in your appointments, and information about your contacts including names and nicknames.”

Realistically, Cortana can’t work in the semi-magical way it does without being able to gobble up all that information. But it’s worth being aware of just how wide-ranging its access to your and your friends’/contacts’ data is.

Whatever happens, Microsoft knows what you’re doing…
The updated terms also state that Microsoft will collect information “from you and your devices, including for example ‘app use data for apps that run on Windows’ and ‘data about the networks you connect to.'”

Advertisers will know exactly who you are
Windows 10 generates a unique advertising ID for each user on each device. That can be used by developers and ad networks to profile you. Again, you can turn this off in settings, but you need to know where to look:

Source - http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

If you're going to bash me for telling the truth, I want every single point made here opposed with valid arguments or don't even bother.
08/09/2015 12:37 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Santi9809
So I heard a lot about issues with Windows 10 and whatnot, but I got bored of playing it safe, so I'm kinda upgrading right now. Looks pretty.

I'll update when I finish upgrading to ten.
08/09/2015 12:08 am
xXDaChimpXx
#WIndowsXP Forever. I have spent over 3k on my pc and i went with good old XP. So windows 10? I think i'll pass eh'
08/09/2015 2:20 am
UltraFireFX
I under stand that you don't want to use Vista/8/8.1/10 but please, use 7, XP isn't getting security patches anymore and if you spent 3k on your PC you are either running a good gaming rig or wasted your money on expensively useless parts, and if you are you should still use 7, it's sweet as once you get used to it.
08/08/2015 10:47 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Lumberjack
Al CatSplat
About a week ago I reserved my WIndows 10 upgrade but it hasn't arrived yet :/
Well at least I have lots of time to backup my files
08/09/2015 1:45 am
Code_7
you can force it to update instead of waiting a "magical" time for it to appear

option 1: open a command prompt and run "Wuauclt /updatenow"
option 2: follow the steps here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install
08/08/2015 10:39 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Engineer
Liam
fast on my pc, but im now having an issue where the damn thing wont activate
08/08/2015 10:11 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
juliancz37
Not very good to be honest. Have a lot of problems.
08/08/2015 9:11 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I'm probably going to wait to update until more things are updated to work well on Windows 10. I heard lots of stuff about people that updated the day it came out having issues with other games they play and applications they use and I don't want to deal with any issues.
08/09/2015 7:08 am
Level 1 : New Network
-RAD-
This happens everytime, usually with members who have low end PCs and rage if any one problem occurs . trust me, it is extremely modernized and smooth, you will not get errors. Besides, you will get Minecraft windows 10 edition for free, which is far better than Minecraft itself. You can play xbox games, as well as the new DirectX 12.

When upgrading, all of your files will remain intact, untouched, wherever they are and your settings will be unchanged too. *but then too keep a backup of important files just in case something bad happens.
08/09/2015 9:29 am
Level 22 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
Don't like the look of it.

Minecraft on win 10 for free is shucks, nothing good just PE ported to PC but WAIT, with crafting!

WOHO I can play games on XBOX I don't have nor ever will, waste of money.

Only thing good is DX12, that's all.
08/08/2015 9:06 pm
Level 24 : Expert Archer
5gatorboy
Upgrade it right now! JUST DO IT!

No seriously, it is so great! Runs super smoothly and lets just face it, Windows 8 straight up sucks. In windows 10 they bring back the start menu AND they finally got rid of that stupid side bar thing that rarely worked. Trust me, it is very very worth it.
08/08/2015 9:19 pm
Level 26 : Expert Nerd
skillet4eva
At least the installation properly worked, windows 10 installation screws up your computer for a lot of people.
08/08/2015 8:52 pm
skillet4eva
Couldn't even install it because it screwed up my pc, not impressed. Don't know if windows 10 is even worth upgrading to because of the major bugs that stop even the basic installation.
08/08/2015 9:15 pm
Code_7
How old is said computer?
08/08/2015 9:19 pm
skillet4eva
Christmas last year I got my current pc, it's only over 6 months old and kept up to date with security and updates.
08/08/2015 7:56 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Warrior
Aredcreeper
It's great but minecraft, not so much cause now you need a port (similar to mcpe) to join a multiplayer server, (any 1 know the mineplex port cause I only know the us.mineplex.com ip) but it very good other than that!
08/08/2015 8:56 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
This is about windows 10, not the new minecraft version for it (and just saying, it's considered a different edition of mc. It doesn't replace the other pc version, it's just made to allow more interactivity between other microsoft editions of mc and the hololens).

So about windows 10, I like it a lot. Everything worked great from the moment I upgraded and I the only minor problem I have is that starting up (for me) seems to take more time now.
08/08/2015 7:44 pm
Code_7
I think Windows + G will be quite popular in the coming months lol
(make sure you have a game open when you press the two buttons )
08/05/2015 9:13 am
Level 20 : Expert Network
risha
Love the search on taskbar, good for looking up crafting recipes. The new browser is cool too.
08/05/2015 8:27 am
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Nerd
Irish
im installing it today, so Ill check back with my first impressions.
08/05/2015 8:00 am
Level 25 : Expert Engineer
InfiniteBlocks
I had windows 8.1 before and i already see a huge improvement using windows 10.
I play Planetside 2 when i want to take a break from minecraft and windows 10 really gives a good boost.

Planetside 2 (With Windows 8.1) = High with solid 30 fps.

Planetside 2 (With Windows 10) = High with solid 60-70 fps

On same computer without any hardware upgrades.
DirectX 12 is really good.

Sadly the Xbox One will run DirectX 12 (Windows 10) and will make Xbox one a lot more powerful than the PS4. So yeah, gg playstation players.
07/30/2015 7:59 pm
Level 43 : Master Network
dunem666
First new release of a Windows version where everything works right off the bat.

I cant complain so far, its very smooth and less "clumpy"
08/09/2015 2:17 am
UltraFireFX
LOL! You are so wrong! Just have a look at this link here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/29/windows_10_bug_alert_start_menu_breaks_512_entries/, Windows 10 is just what Windows 8 should of been and I don't really see much of a reason to upgrade from something like 7, maybe in 3-6 months but not now... no...
07/30/2015 7:33 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Warrior
yoshee08
Sheezie- Try leaving it overnight.

My personal opinion: Let me quote microsoft directly. "It's everything windows 8 *should* have been."

I am super happy with it so far, although I've heard reports that Xsplit does not work. But...I don't use it, so I don't care.

I like the layout- very similar from my windows 7 upgrade (on this computer), and is a lot better when I do the windows 8 upgrade (on my other computer). Works a whole lot better on my notebook, which only has 1gig of ram. The notebook *had* windows 7 ultimate, and very very commonly froze up. Once I upgraded it to windows 10 this morning, I have not had a single freeze. It also seems to be compatible with all the programs I have, and I like the windows app "normal window" mode, instead of the full screen.
07/30/2015 7:43 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
Sheezie
I did leave it over night, woke up to it on 85% and waited three more hours, and no changes.
07/30/2015 7:21 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
Sheezie
Well since It won't even install on my system, so far I don't think it's good. Gets stuck at 85% on Configuring Windows 10 screen.
08/09/2015 6:40 am
Level 1 : New Miner
KittyCatGamr
You have to wait!!!!
07/30/2015 7:02 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Ladybug
Xenoniuss
I'm going to wait atleast 3 months before I'm going to upgrade, after that time there should be enough reviews and "big" problems should be fixed by then ^^
07/30/2015 6:50 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Terraformer
Myyoyo
It's very slow.
08/09/2015 5:30 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Narwhal
-VanillaGorilla
I totally agree with this. My PC is amazing but Windows 10 just cant keep up.
It took me a while just to figure things out ( I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10)
By the time I figured it out I must have disabled something and my pc just froze and I had to take it to the shop and pay a lot of cash.

I dont recommend getting it now, maybe in like 4 months.

(PS: the minecraft on Windows 10 sucks...)
07/30/2015 7:43 pm
Code_7
I think this is going to be more and more common as time wears on.

-Everyone and their grandma tries to update to windows 10
-People with low-end computers are forced to realize (thx to win10) how low-end their pc really is
-eventually, we'll be getting compatibility problems creeping up, basically microsoft telling us when we should get a new computer

Conspiracy I say!

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome