So people demand I get people to help me make my game..

Jedi's Avatar Jedi7/24/15 8:07 pm
1 emeralds 5.8k 72
8/8/2015 1:38 pm
Chron's Avatar Chron
I'm looking for artists, ones who can make very realistic high poly models of cars, guns, buildings, and misc props.

Photorealism is key.

Where should I find some?

If you want to apply you need to show proof of what you can do.
Jedi
Level 29 : Expert Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/08/2015 1:38 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
/lock
08/08/2015 1:36 pm
Jedi
I've found a way to afford to hire a professional artist.

A moderator has been asked to lock the topic.
08/08/2015 3:05 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
08/08/2015 2:52 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
You can't expect free professional art, models or anything without payment. It's arrogant to think that a paid modeller will come and work for you for nothing, especially if you're "Creating" a game using the most generic engine and offering nothing in return. You didn't even say that they'd get credited for their work.
08/08/2015 12:55 am
Level 34 : Artisan Droid
youngnill
That's pathetic come on. just take him he's offering help and you're gonna be picky. It'll give you a general concept of the game and people can see legit evidence of the game progression. I can see why you're last thread got locked.
08/08/2015 2:44 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
08/07/2015 7:45 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
53MP3RF1
Jedi
I have 90% of the mechanics finished, but without an artist I have NOTHING to show to people. Which is why I can't do a kickstarter/indiegogo.

Whoops, sorry to have taken such a long time to respond on this.

Jedi
GuyThatHasNoLifei didnt read the article but i found it http://www.pcworld.com/article/2017328/ ... cheap.html

I don't need a graphics designer, I need a modeller.

Thanks anyway tho.

First of all, get your team's titles straight. You need an artist to show people things but your need a model-maker, not a graphics designer?

serdarminecraft
Jedi
serdarminecraftSoo im not hired?
:/

While your art style is unique, its not exactly what I'm looking for.

Obviously someone is willing to work with you, either for less of a price than normal or for a stake in the game once it is finished. However, your being so picky makes me think the game will never get off the ground because you're looking for the "perfect model-maker" or the "best graphics designer".

JediWell this got quiet..

Yes, it got very quiet. As others have pointed out, the majority of the reason for that is because you've:
A) turned down resources others have provided you, content in believing some miracle person will come along with a free resource of graphics designers, model-makers, and other highly-skilled people that will do your bidding,
or B) ignored people who were willing to help you make your game, who may have been inexperienced or not as good as professionals but were in it for the satisfaction of making something, the learning experience, or a stake in the game when it is released.

Regardless of this, I still can't see why you can't just make some very bad-looking models etc. so you can show off the actual game, and then figure out some better options once you can get some cashflow from a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo.
08/07/2015 4:01 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
serdarminecraft
btw the models i made, the photorealisim isnt about art. Its about the lighting and graphics of the game, i make models not stunning lighting effects and stunning graphical textures.
08/08/2015 12:42 am
Jedi
I don't mean to be rude but..

No matter how good the lighting and textures are.. It won't change the fact that it isn't shaped like any car I've ever seen in real life.
08/07/2015 8:49 am
Level 30 : Artisan Artist
Creatable
Ugh... Partially that's the truth. But if were to pop a fancy texture onto one of your models, because they are low poly it would look awfully weird, I do understand where you are coming from.
08/07/2015 2:16 pm
serdarminecraft
My models arent low poly
08/07/2015 2:17 pm
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
Yeah that's not low poly at all. Jedi just likes to criticize people and be arrogant
08/07/2015 7:31 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
I don't really think that's the case. Relax.

I personally understand what they meant by "low poly", but I do agree that it's not low poly at all. It just has a certain simpler look, but that can help in many cases, so, can't really complain or praise or give any comments in general.
08/07/2015 8:01 pm
Civeberg
I admit I'm being slightly biased but if you saw his other post and how he handled suggestions you'd agree with me
08/07/2015 3:52 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
08/07/2015 3:38 am
Level 1 : New Miner
BennyBoy1803
-snip-
08/07/2015 1:04 am
Level 30 : Artisan Artist
Creatable
If you need a team so bad, have you tried getting a few buddies together and teaching them the basics, might be difficult at first but if a teams required its an alternative. Another idea is checking around on some forums for some people, PMC might not be the best but there are hundred of game dev forums you can find.
08/07/2015 12:42 am
Level 36 : Artisan Taco
Rice
Jedi
Also I can't afford to pay AT ALL.

If you cant even pay anything at all to hire people for a team, then you wont have a team.

If you dont have a team, this game wont work

i think we all know where this is heading
08/06/2015 11:26 pm
Jedi
Well this got quiet..
08/06/2015 11:42 pm
Civeberg
Maybe because you denied every suggestion of people that tried to model for you, and ignored every post of people that took the time to type out paragraphs of information to help you.
07/31/2015 5:14 pm
Jedi
53MP3RF1
Jedi
You are aware most Americans make less then $10 an hour right?

You are aware that the people making less than $10 an hour are doing unskilled work (e.g. working at a fast food place, being a server at a restaurant, etc.) for the most part? Any skilled profession (e.g. construction, design, etc.) makes a lot more than that. I know someone who, as an apprentice of a woodworking company, made something like $24 an hour. It's skilled labor that drives the economy of countries, and for good reason.

Also, as MissMarifire said:

MissMarifire
You're assuming professional artists, 2d and 3d, are willing to work for you from the get-go for free. This is nigh impossible, if not downright impossible, as freelance work is usually measured by how many hours it takes for them to make what you need. Plus, professional artists have lives, some families, that they need to support, which is supported by the jobs they do, and usually that means if you don't have the money, they won't work for you. This isn't being "cruel" or "a horrible person", it's a business, and in order to get the service you need you have to pay money. Yes, as a game designer you need resources for your game. However, if you are not willing to pay the money to get what you need, obviously you're not going to get the resources. For now, you would be better off either saving the money to hire a professional to make you art for your game, hire someone to make low-poly models for your game (You never know, I have seen low-poly indie games work out very well compared to "photorealistic" games), or make your own models.

For now, I would focus on creating your game and its mechanics. Don't worry so much about texturing or modeling, just create basic shapes. If you can get to the point where it's feasible to hire someone to texture and model for you, go for it. Once you've made significant progress on the game mechanically, I would even suggest starting an IndieGoGo fundraiser or something, so you can acquire the money needed to hire a designer.

I have 90% of the mechanics finished, but without an artist I have NOTHING to show to people. Which is why I can't do a kickstarter/indiegogo.
07/28/2015 2:34 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
found a website of artists, designers that you can hire :
07/28/2015 4:07 pm
Jedi
I can't afford to pay $20-$60 an hour.
07/28/2015 4:12 pm
Konrad
i found someone for like 10 bucks an hour but you can probably negotiate with them
07/28/2015 10:51 pm
Jedi
You are aware most Americans make less then $10 an hour right?

07/30/2015 11:18 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
53MP3RF1
You are aware that the people making less than $10 an hour are doing unskilled work (e.g. working at a fast food place, being a server at a restaurant, etc.) for the most part? Any skilled profession (e.g. construction, design, etc.) makes a lot more than that. I know someone who, as an apprentice of a woodworking company, made something like $24 an hour. It's skilled labor that drives the economy of countries, and for good reason.

Also, as MissMarifire said:

MissMarifire
You're assuming professional artists, 2d and 3d, are willing to work for you from the get-go for free. This is nigh impossible, if not downright impossible, as freelance work is usually measured by how many hours it takes for them to make what you need. Plus, professional artists have lives, some families, that they need to support, which is supported by the jobs they do, and usually that means if you don't have the money, they won't work for you. This isn't being "cruel" or "a horrible person", it's a business, and in order to get the service you need you have to pay money. Yes, as a game designer you need resources for your game. However, if you are not willing to pay the money to get what you need, obviously you're not going to get the resources. For now, you would be better off either saving the money to hire a professional to make you art for your game, hire someone to make low-poly models for your game (You never know, I have seen low-poly indie games work out very well compared to "photorealistic" games), or make your own models.

For now, I would focus on creating your game and its mechanics. Don't worry so much about texturing or modeling, just create basic shapes. If you can get to the point where it's feasible to hire someone to texture and model for you, go for it. Once you've made significant progress on the game mechanically, I would even suggest starting an IndieGoGo fundraiser or something, so you can acquire the money needed to hire a designer.
07/28/2015 2:22 pm
Konrad
i didnt read the article but i found it http://www.pcworld.com/article/2017328/ ... cheap.html
07/28/2015 2:25 pm
Jedi
I don't need a graphics designer, I need a modeller.

Thanks anyway tho.
07/28/2015 2:14 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Dragon
Eternal_Edge
Helpful or not, it's against the rules.
07/28/2015 12:42 pm
Level 48 : Master Robot
Doppla
Unity in my opinion offers more with it's asset store and thriving community.
07/28/2015 12:50 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Kioki
dont change the topic
07/28/2015 1:48 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Network
MissMarifire
Kioki, do not mini-moderate. Leave it to the moderators.

I feel like it's somewhat related, as Unity is a game engine and there was an argument on the thread about it. Personally, I like Unity, it's a very flexible game engine, and I've had my fair share of projects that I've done on Unity. However, this being said, I will not hesitate to lock the topic if any more flaming arises, whether be OP or otherwise, as flaming is not tolerated from anybody, and I certainly won't be hesitant to ban anyone who decides to flame again. This will be the final warning.
07/28/2015 2:02 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/28/2015 4:38 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/28/2015 2:38 am
serdarminecraft
Soo im not hired?
:/
07/28/2015 8:40 am
Jedi
While your art style is unique, its not exactly what I'm looking for.
07/28/2015 3:02 pm
serdarminecraft
:'(
07/27/2015 6:22 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Kioki
I'm so confused...
First you all said (on the other thread) that there are many people who would work for free, but they get some of the profits upon release.

Now you guys are saying he needs to pay someone in order for them to work for him?
07/27/2015 6:47 pm
MissMarifire
Different people responding to different instances. Given the original thread wasn't obliterated off, I myself would've responded about the same as I did in this thread.
07/27/2015 6:07 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
Vigri
MissMarifireI feel as if there's multiple problems with this thread.

#1: You're assuming professional artists, 2d and 3d, are willing to work for you from the get-go for free. This is nigh impossible, if not downright impossible, as freelance work is usually measured by how many hours it takes for them to make what you need. Plus, professional artists have lives, some families, that they need to support, which is supported by the jobs they do, and usually that means if you don't have the money, they won't work for you. This isn't being "cruel" or "a horrible person", it's a business, and in order to get the service you need you have to pay money. Yes, as a game designer you need resources for your game. However, if you are not willing to pay the money to get what you need, obviously you're not going to get the resources. For now, you would be better off either saving the money to hire a professional to make you art for your game, hire someone to make low-poly models for your game (You never know, I have seen low-poly indie games work out very well compared to "photorealistic" games), or make your own models.

There are however obviously exceptions to this, such as Yandere Simulator, whereas talented people have volunteered even to this day. However, the developer of Yandere Sim produced a barebones game as a presentation, and the artists of the game liked the concept that the Yandere Sim developer gave to them, and wanted to support him. However, OP on the other hand didn't really have anything to present as his game, so not only will artists be uninterested in making things for your game, but we don't really know anything about the game in mind. You haven't given us anything about your game, whether be information, a test demo, nothing.

#2:
Click to reveal
DrThreshHi, I've been checking some of the posts in the other thread. Quite ambitious for a single developer to take this on, so people saying you require a team just gives an interest in just how much others want to see this game come to fruition.

That said, and this coming from past experience in the games industry and an even longer experience in 3D, I would be inclined to see base gameplay in action before starting to dress things up. From what I can tell you have a very clear idea of what your vision is, which may help through the concept stages, but at the end of the day, the art is there to support the game, not the other way around. Again, this is under the assumption that it's still early in the development cycle.

Funnily enough, for a year I've been teaching students how to use Unreal Engine 4, and I can tell people that A) it's very easy to use to set up something basic but B) very tricky to try to set up something more complex. Suffice to say, I think it's the best engine out, both in terms of application and price

So I wish you all the best on this endeavour, whether teaming up or flying solo. Either way, you're going to learn something valuable from this experience.

Just remember to stay within the scope

That's my two cents.

Basically what this guy said. Your game is extremely early in development, and rushing one part of the game is not the way to go, especially one with such specific art style. You're better off creating a basic version at first, then once you get the money, you can hire someone and develop your game more thoroughly, using better graphics and refined mechanics based on the basic mechanics you previously had.

#3:
SparkzyeDemand? Dude; do whatever you want. No one is going to run you. It can take longer, or shorter. Nevertheless I don't think no one should be "demanding" on how you should make a game, or something else like it.

This. Another example to be used in this situation is The Sims 2, however it is not the fault of the audience but rather the owners of the franchise, EA. Those who know the slightest bit about the development of The Sims 2 could easily tell you this: Near the completion of it's development EA was angry at the Maxis teams for whatever reason they disliked the game, and told them they had to redo it completely (That or the server fire rumor, although iirc it was debunked as false). They were rushed to remaking the entire game, and at its weakest, buggiest stage it had to be released. Was it a commercial failure? No, it's the Sims, it sold far more than the original ever did. However, were the dev teams able to put in everything they wanted into the base game (weather, better meshes/textures, opportunities)? No, absolutely not, and while some elements were implemented via DLC, many weren't, and the dev team did not create the game they could have if they weren't pressured into remaking it so quickly.

As an indie dev you shouldn't feel pressured by other people to "get your game done", in fact, take your time, look things over, take baby steps to develop your game. Play games similar to that of your own to get ideas that you could put in. Let's say, for instance, you want to make a medieval adventure game, with a fully open world and RPG elements. While in development you decide to play, say, Dark Souls. You could pick up the ideas of having a strong enemy AI, or a flexible, vast combat system, or perhaps a harsh, but not downright inhuman punishment for dying. This sort of tactic could be implied into your own game.

Thanks for making my post into a more detailed explanation. But yeah, I totally agree. If you're not said "hiring" someone to do this, as in paying someone. You're not going to get anyone.
07/27/2015 5:52 pm
MissMarifire
I feel as if there's multiple problems with this thread.

#1: You're assuming professional artists, 2d and 3d, are willing to work for you from the get-go for free. This is nigh impossible, if not downright impossible, as freelance work is usually measured by how many hours it takes for them to make what you need. Plus, professional artists have lives, some families, that they need to support, which is supported by the jobs they do, and usually that means if you don't have the money, they won't work for you. This isn't being "cruel" or "a horrible person", it's a business, and in order to get the service you need you have to pay money. Yes, as a game designer you need resources for your game. However, if you are not willing to pay the money to get what you need, obviously you're not going to get the resources. For now, you would be better off either saving the money to hire a professional to make you art for your game, hire someone to make low-poly models for your game (You never know, I have seen low-poly indie games work out very well compared to "photorealistic" games), or make your own models.

There are however obviously exceptions to this, such as Yandere Simulator, whereas talented people have volunteered even to this day. However, the developer of Yandere Sim produced a barebones game as a presentation, and the artists of the game liked the concept that the Yandere Sim developer gave to them, and wanted to support him. However, OP on the other hand didn't really have anything to present as his game, so not only will artists be uninterested in making things for your game, but we don't really know anything about the game in mind. You haven't given us anything about your game, whether be information, a test demo, nothing.

#2:
Click to reveal
DrThreshHi, I've been checking some of the posts in the other thread. Quite ambitious for a single developer to take this on, so people saying you require a team just gives an interest in just how much others want to see this game come to fruition.

That said, and this coming from past experience in the games industry and an even longer experience in 3D, I would be inclined to see base gameplay in action before starting to dress things up. From what I can tell you have a very clear idea of what your vision is, which may help through the concept stages, but at the end of the day, the art is there to support the game, not the other way around. Again, this is under the assumption that it's still early in the development cycle.

Funnily enough, for a year I've been teaching students how to use Unreal Engine 4, and I can tell people that A) it's very easy to use to set up something basic but B) very tricky to try to set up something more complex. Suffice to say, I think it's the best engine out, both in terms of application and price

So I wish you all the best on this endeavour, whether teaming up or flying solo. Either way, you're going to learn something valuable from this experience.

Just remember to stay within the scope

That's my two cents.

Basically what this guy said. Your game is extremely early in development, and rushing one part of the game is not the way to go, especially one with such specific art style. You're better off creating a basic version at first, then once you get the money, you can hire someone and develop your game more thoroughly, using better graphics and refined mechanics based on the basic mechanics you previously had.

#3:
SparkzyeDemand? Dude; do whatever you want. No one is going to run you. It can take longer, or shorter. Nevertheless I don't think no one should be "demanding" on how you should make a game, or something else like it.

This. Another example to be used in this situation is The Sims 2, however it is not the fault of the audience but rather the owners of the franchise, EA. Those who know the slightest bit about the development of The Sims 2 could easily tell you this: Near the completion of it's development EA was angry at the Maxis teams for whatever reason they disliked the game, and told them they had to redo it completely (That or the server fire rumor, although iirc it was debunked as false). They were rushed to remaking the entire game, and at its weakest, buggiest stage it had to be released. Was it a commercial failure? No, it's the Sims, it sold far more than the original ever did. However, were the dev teams able to put in everything they wanted into the base game (weather, better meshes/textures, opportunities)? No, absolutely not, and while some elements were implemented via DLC, many weren't, and the dev team did not create the game they could have if they weren't pressured into remaking it so quickly.

As an indie dev you shouldn't feel pressured by other people to "get your game done", in fact, take your time, look things over, take baby steps to develop your game. Play games similar to that of your own to get ideas that you could put in. Let's say, for instance, you want to make a medieval adventure game, with a fully open world and RPG elements. While in development you decide to play, say, Dark Souls. You could pick up the ideas of having a strong enemy AI, or a flexible, vast combat system, or perhaps a harsh, but not downright inhuman punishment for dying. This sort of tactic could be implied into your own game.
07/27/2015 5:06 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
Vigri
Demand? Dude; do whatever you want. No one is going to run you. It can take longer, or shorter. Nevertheless I don't think no one should be "demanding" on how you should make a game, or something else like it.
07/27/2015 2:08 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/27/2015 8:16 am
serdarminecraft
By the way, im not good at making materials and textures. So these models will look MUUUUCH better when textured by someone else.
07/27/2015 8:05 am
serdarminecraft

07/27/2015 12:48 pm
Jedi
uh...

I'm pretty sure I said the word "Photorealistic" somewhere..
07/27/2015 4:49 pm
serdarminecraft
Umm, well these models would look much nicer with better textures. Im just not a good texturer. If someone else can texture these it would look much more better.
By the way, I can be better at making small random props like phones, bottles, money, etc. And also some buildings.
07/27/2015 7:57 am
serdarminecraft
Rendering screenshots. First screenshot of the car rendered.
07/27/2015 7:13 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/27/2015 7:13 pm
Level 49 : Master Modder
minecraftjames222
Actually, you pay 5% royalty if you make sales over 3k. 5% really isn't much for what they gave you.
07/28/2015 4:32 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome