Project: Erea - Pyrotheum Games

Hydraheads's Avatar Hydraheads10/4/15 5:59 pm
1 emeralds 1.3k 19
10/14/2015 8:20 pm
Hydraheads's Avatar Hydraheads
Project: Erea
by pyrotheum games

Introduction:
Yes, another game development thread. We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Anyway, we're Pyrotheum Games (stylized: pyrotheum Games) And yes, we have people working on it. Specifically 9 people, so no we're not hobos that want make a game. We are all extremely talented (if I don't say so myself) and we won't quit half way through. So now you know you can support us.
We have our basic mechanics down, and also a future for our studio. We plan to greenlight the game for Steam full release, while we're not going for Early Access we will share development progress with the community, and will take their suggestions into consideration. And before any of you flock to the comments and say "make goku a character", No. Just no.
Anyway open the beautiful spoilers to view our the information.

Backstory:
Click to reveal
40 years ago, there was a rift in space. Out of it came a great Neo-Archean mage. He made himself known to the world, and posed one question to the people. "I can give to you anything your world has to offer. What would you request?" A shady figure replied, "We want more than this world has to offer already." In exchange for granting the people true freedom, he requested that the silent orb be granted to him. It was keeping the world limited to laws and science that weren't in the universe's plan. They gracefully gave it up, not realizing the mistake they had made. He took it, and made his leave back to his own world which much needed the orb. 40 years later, people were just scratching the surface of what amazing power this wish had created. Now this is a world of will. Of struggles, of betrayal, of death. But also, of life and happiness, and taking the steps needed to fix a problem. It is not a world of destiny or limitations. Nor is it one to lament about. It is one to rejoice.

Current Sprites:
Click to reveal

Planned Features:
Click to reveal
1. Dialogue: All choices matter
2. RPG turn-based battle system with "turn gauges"
3. Anime Cutscenes with voice acting
4. Transformation/Ultimate System
5. Enemy Skills system
6. "Mod Sphere" System for customizing characters like materials and crystals.
7. Large nonlinear dungeons
8. No random encounters: enemies appear and run up to you
9. Story-driven
10. Unique characters with fleshed out backstories.
11. 32x32 pixel art

Extra Mechanics(outdated):
Click to reveal
1. The main character has no formal health system after he reaches q certain early point in the game. After his invisible "hp" is reduced to 0, he transforms into his ultimate form, Diablon. But this form is exhausted causing a KO when he uses too many attacks/gets hit enough times in this form, usually quantity over quality.

2. No missable "magics" or "summons" or anything. Maybe some missable nonweapon Items.

3. Weapons level up with use for all but one character, who levels up weapon proficiency instead. All weapons are balanced.

4. A mastery system.

5. A materia-like system. (mod spheres) Orbs have 3 sizes, and a single 4th orb which the player doen't choose. Orbs can be "fused" to create the second size, and the third size is its own thing. Every character has a circular pool of orbs with a certain amount of slots for each size.

Battle Mechanics:
Click to reveal
The battle system will be turn based. Skill and strategy are very much prioritized over grinding/weapon tiering, which have been reduced tremendously. Three party members are out at once. They all have access to mod sphere commands, but the attacks and super attacks they learn depend on the character. All characters eventually acquire an "absolu", which is a super transformation, but they need to get in a certain emotional state to use it, indicated by the emotion indicator. There will be a focus on debuffs and dynamic enemies.

Closing:
We'd love to hear from you, comment on the thread and tell us what you think! We'll have more updates soon, we'll also have kickstarter and indiegogo campaigns up soon aswell. See ya!

Now of course some people will want to join us, so here is our recruitment page: going-make-rpg-need-help-t513587.html
!PLEASE DO NOT POST APPLICATIONS ON THIS THREAD!
Hydraheads
Level 54 : Grandmaster Necromancer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/14/2015 8:20 pm
Hydraheads
starcatcher77To late for that, I'm the game dev in house. And yes, I do love getting philosophical. (Hydra already knows, cause me.) You can just tell by the OP, cause I wrote it.

XD
We prefer a balance of philosophy, literalism, contextualism, optimism, and nihilism. Just not nepotism.

I fail to see how the "we're not a bunch of hobos" is philisophical, but OK.

Anyways, I think I could survive any forum. ANY. I am very talented at mediation. So there will be no arguments about how the game will be by nondevelopers coming from the unity forums. But I am not certain what forums I'm going for and when.
10/14/2015 7:59 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
starcatcher77
PrototypeTheta
Hydraheads
PrototypeTheta

@Hydraheads I suggest you start making noises on forums that are actually about game development rather than PMC, you might get some more meaningful feedback from people who actually know a thing or two about game development. If you're using an engine start making noises on that engine's forums.

Thanks for the advice. Have any forums in mind? (Other than the engine's forum which I will use)

If you're using Unity, unity forums are very helpful, practically everyone there has either made their own game or is in the process of making one. They can help you a lot on the technical side. Not to mention you'll also find people who've already gone through kickstarter's, greenlight, ect (and you might find some surprises about these systems).

I'll warn you though, game devs love getting all philosophical.

To late for that, I'm the game dev in house. And yes, I do love getting philosophical. (Hydra already knows, cause me.) You can just tell by the OP, cause I wrote it.
10/11/2015 8:02 pm
Hydraheads
Battle mechanics and sprites added.
10/06/2015 7:27 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
By one up I think he means prove they are better than you. I haven't seen anything like that yet. And by philosophical I mean get ready for textwall debates on game design.
10/06/2015 7:55 pm
Hydraheads
Well, I certainly wouldn't want people arguing over how a game they aren't even a part of will turn out, so I think I'll avoid those forums. Or at least post in the original post to not make recommendations for how the game will work and just for story/character suggestions. Thanks for the clarification.
10/06/2015 11:28 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
10/06/2015 6:24 pm
Hydraheads
amazoDog161
PrototypeThetaIf you're using Unity, unity forums are very helpful, practically everyone there has either made their own game or is in the process of making one. They can help you a lot on the technical side. Not to mention you'll also find people who've already gone through kickstarter's, greenlight, ect (and you might find some surprises about these systems).

Well, I personally think there are a lot of worse places for game development discussions than PMC, and the people over on the Unity forums start getting a bit annoying, and alot of them will try to 1UP you all the time. I'd say PMC has a good community for almost anything, and its a much more familiar place to alot of people than other forums. Myself, I'll stick with PMC for now, unless I find a game dev/technology forum with a community as good as PMC.

1st of all, what do you mean by "philosophical" and "one up you"? Are they like, content stealing priests or something?
2nd of all, amazodog, I am the one here in charge of the forums we are adding it to. So I need you to explain the pros and cons of the various communities.
10/06/2015 1:36 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
10/06/2015 8:29 am
PrototypeTheta
Hydraheads
PrototypeTheta

@Hydraheads I suggest you start making noises on forums that are actually about game development rather than PMC, you might get some more meaningful feedback from people who actually know a thing or two about game development. If you're using an engine start making noises on that engine's forums.

Thanks for the advice. Have any forums in mind? (Other than the engine's forum which I will use)

If you're using Unity, unity forums are very helpful, practically everyone there has either made their own game or is in the process of making one. They can help you a lot on the technical side. Not to mention you'll also find people who've already gone through kickstarter's, greenlight, ect (and you might find some surprises about these systems).

10/05/2015 5:23 pm
Hydraheads
PrototypeTheta

10/05/2015 2:58 pm
PrototypeTheta
amazoDog161
PrototypeTheta
SheezieFor a game like this 32x32 pixel art won't cut it. There are already to many games with such simple texture and they are all so visually a like that it's dull.

Actually, done right, 32x32 pixel art is pretty timeless and will never grow old. It's something that came about due to technical limitations, yet it's still an accepted, in depth and very interesting art form. Not to mention damn difficult to pull off.

Sure, a lot of indie games use low quality 32x32 to cut corners and save time, but done right, it is certainly not "simple" or "dull".

Sheezie
No one needs another Minecraft based texture game or another old school final fantasy.

This irritates me. You're implying that because you have a negative opinion on the style, everyone else should feel that way (spoiler alert: they don't, this is a very popular and well respected style). Minecraft based texture game? What on earth are you on about?

I think PMC is fine for this stuff... Also, if you're good at pixel art, wanna help out?

Going to have to decline, already working on my own game. And I wouldn't call myself "good" at pixel art, just good at cheating.

In all seriousness, PMC is good for some external opinions, but you do want to spread yourself over a few sites to start gaining some support. It's also very useful to talk to people who work in the industry and do this sort of thing for a living.
10/05/2015 2:55 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
10/04/2015 11:37 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Architect
CaptianDynamite
Try 64X64 textures, it'll look far better. But otherwise the game sounds like it would be good.
Good Luck!
10/04/2015 11:58 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter
PiCubedModding
Try telling that to our main artist...yeah, she barely wanted to do 32x32 xD
10/05/2015 3:01 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
Sheezie
Then it sounds like she isn't up to the task. No one needs another Minecraft based texture game or another old school final fantasy.
10/04/2015 11:26 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
Sheezie
For a game like this 32x32 pixel art won't cut it. There are already to many games with such simple texture and they are all so visually a like that it's dull.
10/05/2015 2:41 pm
PrototypeTheta
Actually, done right, 32x32 pixel art is pretty timeless and will never grow old. It's something that came about due to technical limitations, yet it's still an accepted, in depth and very interesting art form. Not to mention damn difficult to pull off.

Sure, a lot of indie games use low quality 32x32 to cut corners and save time, but done right, it is certainly not "simple" or "dull".

Sheezie
No one needs another Minecraft based texture game or another old school final fantasy.

This irritates me. You're implying that because you have a negative opinion on the style, everyone else should feel that way (spoiler alert: they don't, this is a very popular and well respected style). Minecraft based texture game? What on earth are you on about?

10/05/2015 11:28 am
Hydraheads

The anime cutscenes and every battle sequence will be more like 64x64 and the main game will look a little higher definition then the second one there. (this is a sample image I found online)

So, unless you know anyone who could do such definition, the art style is pretty much destined to be in 32x32.
10/04/2015 6:27 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
starcatcher77
Welcome to our new forum page!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome