Razer Blade Or Macbook Air?

-VanillaGorilla's Avatar -VanillaGorilla7/9/15 4:15 am
1 emeralds 1.6k 53
7/20/2015 3:09 am
HudsonGamingYT's Avatar HudsonGamingYT
Hey Guys! So I have been looking at laptops that I can use for my Desktop Replacement. My Desktop is quite old and I just love the idea of having a laptop to take with you everywhere. I am a gamer and I like to play:
TF 2
Sims 4
Minecraft
Cities: Skylines
Garry's Mod
Skyrim
And other First Person Shooter Games.

Since I am in school my parents say I should rather get a Macbook Air as it is much cheaper. But I told them I wanted to play games on this laptop.

Which one is better for me?
-VanillaGorilla
Level 10 : Journeyman Narwhal

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/20/2015 3:09 am
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
HudsonGamingYT
Here:

-If your all about that gaming life! use a razor, yes you can use it for school work!
-If you want casual use (example: Quick search with maybe some small games like agario, get a mac, simple) and u can use this for school work though its very slow loading and the keyboard layout is... disastrous.. (nailed that spelling) so i highly recommend using a razor!

[EDIT] If your getting an air... it will be very laggy with gaming and pretty much NO GAMES AT ALL SUPPORT AIR/MACS!
07/16/2015 6:30 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Mramazing10
That's the first time someone has said apple is cheaper!!!!!!
07/16/2015 2:43 am
Level 1 : New Miner
anonpmc1598639
[deleted]
07/15/2015 9:26 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Piercing_Wolf
Don't get a Mac. If your expecting to play games like Skyrim get a razor because Macs do not support practically ANY games. I have a mac they are not good for gaming.
07/15/2015 10:48 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
*facetree* they aren't good for gaming
because that aren't meant for gaming.
Edit: also, sorry to burst your bubble, but HD 5500 can play Skyrim at high-max settings at 60FPS.
07/16/2015 2:10 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Dragon
MrPifflesIV
That's what we're saying he should not get a mac because they are not MEANT for gaming and do not support many games.
07/12/2015 1:54 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1279828
[deleted]
07/09/2015 11:36 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
deleteplz
There is the option to build a computer, get much better specs than both options, and spend less than a Mac. . .
But then again, the modern thing is to try to fit good hardware into fancy envelopes.
07/10/2015 1:50 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/12/2015 2:29 pm
forgot about you
He implied building a desktop, not a laptop. If not, it is hard, if not impossible for the average person to find the parts and to build a laptop.
07/09/2015 5:07 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
-VanillaGorillaHey Guys! So I have been looking at laptops that I can use for my Desktop Replacement. My Desktop is quite old and I just love the idea of having a laptop to take with you everywhere. I am a gamer and I like to play:
TF 2
Sims 4
Minecraft
Cities: Skylines
Garry's Mod
Skyrim
And other First Person Shooter Games.

Since I am in school my parents say I should rather get a Macbook Air as it is much cheaper. But I told them I wanted to play games on this laptop.

Which one is better for me?

I personally own both of them. My Macbook Air is crap, I gave it to my mother because I dislike the performance I have with games. Razer Blade's are designed for gaming. Not much to decided from that.

Contact me if you want a 10% discount on Razer stores. I have a partnership program with them.
07/09/2015 4:33 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
I Iz Shahid
I would get the Lenovo Y50 (UHD optional) if on a budget or a ASUS ROG anything since they have a freaking graphics card. The Mackbook air will be lucky to get 50 fps on MC at medium settings but the Lenovo or Asus will get 125+ FPS at max settings (the screen it locked at 48 Hz for the Lenovo Y50 UHD) so its sorta a given
07/09/2015 12:47 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
I.. Desktop gamer master race?

But um.. There was a thing..

This is a 2k+ laptop, great for gaming.
And a video about it, cuz I kno u want it.
[yt]yCPFezq03zE[/yt]
07/09/2015 12:51 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
I like it. It's expensive as crap, but I like it.
07/09/2015 12:38 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
nammerbom
You absoultely can have the desktop gpu chipset, which it does. Of course it wont have all the fans and heat tubes that a desktop gpu will have, but the performance is still there.

The GTX 980 and 980M are not the same GPU. Yes they're both based on the GM204 chip, but the 980M is cut down (even more than the GTX 970), has significantly less memory bandwidth (160 GB/s vs 224 GB/s) and is clocked slower in order to achieve a certain thermal envelope (122W).
07/09/2015 12:35 pm
forgot about you
nammerbom
nammerbom
The i7 and gtx 980 in the y50 can get double that fps easily

You can't have a desktop GPU in a laptop, and typically the processors in laptops can't be better than each other if they are the same line.(such as i7, i5 etc) besides age.

You absoultely can have the desktop gpu chipset, which it does. Of course it wont have all the fans and heat tubes that a desktop gpu will have, but the performance is still there.[/quote]
I believe you are mistaken for a GTX 980M? And what you said has no logic. It is literally not compatible with a GTX 980.
07/09/2015 12:04 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
OP can you get both a desktop for gaming and a cheap, thin laptop for school (somehting like a chromebook with Linux)? You would have the shear performance of the desktop and the portability of a chromebook.
07/09/2015 11:11 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
bobbiecraftstoday123
I say just upgrade to a macbook pro, it is around the same price as the razorblade 16gb ram, 2.5 gigahertz. And arround 1,999.000 Dollars, so the same price as the razorblade, the only problem, is that a lot more programs are for windows, but you can get something to get those to(windows applications), and there is nothing like that for the windows.
07/10/2015 1:59 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/09/2015 11:06 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
bobbiecraftstoday123
Really, macs are great. I have a macbook pro, it was the BEST CHOICE OF MY LIFE! I used to have a windows, but I always had popups, since more people use windows os, there are more hacking areas to get into it. Mac's come with a defense already installed, making you not have to pay extra to get one. Mac's also are really lightweight, and I haven't lost any keys yet, unlike my windows PC. Though I have a friend who has a razor blade, he says he really likes it, and while it does beat the Mac, at some aspects, as an example, the ram, 4 to 8. The mac still runs fast and is good.
07/09/2015 11:09 am
Level 23 : Expert Nerd
likn
I have a MacBook Pro 2013 Retina too and I love it! But a MacBook air? I'm just not sure you would use that for gaming.
07/09/2015 11:03 am
Level 23 : Expert Nerd
likn
Don't buy a MacBook air for gaming...
07/09/2015 10:51 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
fly1ngdutchman
I bought a 2014 Macbook Air 11", loaded it up with 8 GB RAM, and an I7 card... I almost always have it connected to my 22" Monitor, and it runs MC at anywhere from 50-120 FPS... I know it's not the best frame rate ever, but, if you want a computer for both gaming, and school, I'd say the Macbook Air or even the Pro is the way to go!

-DutchmanGaming
07/09/2015 12:13 pm
forgot about you
You can't upgrade RAM or processor in the Macbook Air, so don't lie.
nammerbom

You can't have a desktop GPU in a laptop, and typically the processors in laptops can't be better than each other if they are the same line.(such as i7, i5 etc) besides age.
07/09/2015 10:58 am
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
07/09/2015 12:28 pm
nammerbom
You can't have a desktop GPU in a laptop, and typically the processors in laptops can't be better than each other if they are the same line.(such as i7, i5 etc) besides age.[/quote]

You absoultely can have the desktop gpu chipset, which it does. Of course it wont have all the fans and heat tubes that a desktop gpu will have, but the performance is still there.
07/09/2015 10:24 am
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Discussing technicalities won't help the OP at all, especially if it raises tensions. Let's get this thread back on track, even though in my opinion the Lenovo Y50 is exactly what he's looking for.
07/09/2015 12:45 pm
-VanillaGorilla
Thank you I am also now considering the ASUS ROG G551JW
07/09/2015 9:32 am
nammerbom
I would highly suggest what Fantasymaster said on the previous page and go with the Lenovo Y50 instead of both the razer blade and macbook. Before i get into it, I would like to point out, as most people have already, that the macbook is not meant for gaming but instead for graphics work and for learning. If you plan to play any games at all, in high quality at least, you would need to cross the macbook of the list. The Razer Blade has very very good, up-to-date hardware that will be good for both gaming and doing the exact same tasks that the macbook is designed for. The main problem however is the price - for the 512 GB laptop youre going to be paying upwards of 2700 dollars (Mostly because of the razer branding). The Lenovo Y50 has the exact same hardware as the Razer Blade, with the exception of the 512 gb SSD, however in turn bringing a 1TB hybrid solid-state hard drive. Not only this, its for a lot cheaper - only 1,299. The Lenovo Y50 is going to operate very much like the Razer Blade for more than half the price, with even more space than the blade, and still be able to do all the functions that you desire (gaming, schoolwork, etc.).

TL;DR: Buy the lenovo Y50 instead. I still recommend you read above to understand the logic, however.
07/09/2015 9:46 am
-VanillaGorilla
Can you please leave a link for the Lenovo Y50 Laptop?
07/09/2015 10:43 am
nammerbom
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/le ... eries/y50/

I would also like to correct myself in the pricing of the y50, its $1,049 USD, $1,299 CAN
07/09/2015 9:08 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Architect
the adman2315
I'd say go with the razer blade, especially since windows 10 is coming out soon, it offers a ton of user friendliness and can be great for work and school as well as gaming. I don't know what everyone else is talking about but unless you are using actual work program i.e. AutoCad or SolidWorks something that is processor heavy you shouldn't need a separate computer to run Microsoft office, maybe an external hard drive or a usb stick at most to back up your school files.
I do agree with the above that you can get a computer for a lot cheaper then the razer blade, which you are only really paying for the name
07/09/2015 6:05 am
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
To be honest, a Razor Blade costs £2,000 for the best model, for that price you could get an absolutely amazing custom PC AND a basic laptop for schoolwork.

But if you must get a laptop, get the Blade, much better for gaming. Mac is only good for work-stuffs, such as animation, coding, etc.
07/09/2015 5:59 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
tobbestark
Getting a normal computer instead of a laptop is recommended for gaming. Otherwise it has to be expensive to get the same experience
07/09/2015 5:41 am
-VanillaGorilla
serdarminecraft
serdarminecraftSo your parents really let you buy a frekin mac? your FREKIN LUCKY dude. some peapole are really poor. cant buy awesome stuff like macs. Now you can get the razer blade if your gonna game, but well Macs are frekin cool. Get the 12" new macbook 2015

This was a joke post. NVM
-VanillaGorilla
Like I said I need something for my desktop replacement. I game and do schoolwork on my desktop. I am also a Hardcore gamer so I dont know if Mac will handle those kind of games.

Razerblade will be fine for schoolwork too. But if your buying the 17" one it wont be so portable. For portability get mac. But you wont do hardcore gaming like playing late 2015 games on maximum settings. But razerblade wont be so portable too. Btw macs are cool.

I need something that will last and not get outdated quick like Macbooks. I want the 14" one which is $900 cheaper.
07/09/2015 5:39 am
forgot about you
*sigh*

Why do people compare macs to gaming computers? These 2 are completely different categories of computers, and they shouldn't be compared.

If gaming, get the gaming one. If doing anything else, get the mac.
07/09/2015 5:43 am
-VanillaGorilla
You can use Mac's for gaming as well thats why it is being compared. But if you get a mac then you wont be able to run the latest games at full settings only at low settings.
But the razer blade was built mainly for gaming. I just dont know if I would even use a macbook.
07/09/2015 5:48 am
forgot about you
You CAN, but people will say macs are sh**, when they really aren't. They game on them when they shouldn't. They aren't meant to take stress like that, which people don't understand.
Just get the Razer Blade. Its better for gaming, just end the fanboyism prone to happen when you mention "apple"
07/09/2015 9:23 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Dragonborn
luigi_vampa
Macs are sh**, overrated and overpriced.
I'm sorry but when you purposely leave off things like sd slots just to sell you extra memory that's a crap piece of engineering.
07/09/2015 10:16 am
forgot about you
Here we go. Macs aren't, you think they are.

They aren't overpriced because they have a beautiful "expensive" design, and the software that you get with it is equal to $100s of software itself.

The Macbook Air doesn't have an SD card slot because it is supposed to be thin and small. Let me see you make a laptop that thin but include the features of a laptop 3x the width?

The Macbook Pro does have "extra" memory, which is upgradeable, and an SD card slot.

It isn't a crap piece of engineering. I'd like to see you do better, when you clearly can't. You look at things the wrong way.
07/09/2015 5:14 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
lets make a simple comparison:
  • Latest macbook air- $1099 (there's a cheaper version but lets keep it at this)
    1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    Intel HD Graphics 6000
    4GB memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    apparently a 12 hour battery life?

For the same price:
Lenovo Y50
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
8 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 8 GB Solid-State Drive
15.6-Inch Screen
Windows 8.1, 4-hour battery life

Macbook advantages:
Big flash storage for fast functioning.
long battery life.

Lenovo advantages
larger harddrive (more space for games: you'll need it)
2x the RAM
Better processor
(possibly better graphics, not sure cause Intel HD 6000 is hard to find)

These 2 laptops have roughly the same price. take your pick
07/09/2015 6:59 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
YonkersTyler
It's the programs within the OS that matter. Ever thought of that?
07/09/2015 7:19 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
As far as I know, the OP is not specifically interested in lots of fancy programs, and is more interested in actual games. For which Macs are less fit than PC in general.

If he were to do something in the art/design direction, however, Macs would become a bit more interesting. My own experience with macs is limited to what my school has of them, but there seem to be a number of graphics and music programs on mac that simply weren't designed to work well on PC. That would be a difference.
07/09/2015 5:11 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
Aanndryyyy
Razor Blade for gaming.
Mac is for work and school.

I have a desktop PC that I use for gaming and a Macbook Pro that I use for Web Development and Work.
07/09/2015 5:13 am
-VanillaGorilla
Can you use a razor blade for work and school as well?
07/09/2015 5:15 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
Aanndryyyy
Mac is better, faster and reliable when it comes to work. You could use a windows machine for work, but I'd preferably use a Desktop one then.
07/09/2015 5:05 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
Get a razor blade. I bought a mac and it was the worst financial mistake ever.

Yes, macs are high quality BUT so are other laptops. Other laptops are half the price and still the same quality! Do not be fooled by Apple's advertising, they rip off!
07/09/2015 5:08 am
-VanillaGorilla
Thank you for being honest. I may be getting a razor blade. But they arent in stock right now, did they stop selling the Non-Touch One?
07/09/2015 4:51 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
serdarminecraft
So your parents really let you buy a frekin mac? your FREKIN LUCKY dude. some peapole are really poor. cant buy awesome stuff like macs. Now you can get the razer blade if your gonna game, but well Macs are frekin cool. Get the 12" new macbook 2015
07/09/2015 5:18 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
serdarminecraft
This was a joke post. NVM
-VanillaGorilla
Like I said I need something for my desktop replacement. I game and do schoolwork on my desktop. I am also a Hardcore gamer so I dont know if Mac will handle those kind of games.

Razerblade will be fine for schoolwork too. But if your buying the 17" one it wont be so portable. For portability get mac. But you wont do hardcore gaming like playing late 2015 games on maximum settings. But razerblade wont be so portable too. Btw macs are cool.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome