Server Idea; Does This Sound Fun?

TriusMalarky's Avatar TriusMalarky6/21/18 3:40 pm history
6/27/2018 12:06 pm
TriusMalarky's Avatar TriusMalarky
Hey, I'm just wondering if people would like my idea for a server. If I get enough people liking it, I might build it, but I want to make sure that there's a market first.

Aspects of Server:

Deathbans:
  • Incremental. i.e. the ban will be longer each time you die, and there will be a cap. For instance, the first time you die it's a free death, but then there's a 5m ban, then a 15m ban, etc.
  • Jailing. It wouldn't actually ban players; it would send them to a jail in which they may or may not be able to get free early if certain objectives are completed. Either way, this allows players to stay on and talk with others, possibly listening to the results of a battle between their side and another, or getting a trade set up for the next time they are allowed back on.
  • Screens immature players. I have seen servers require a test to play, but I find this annoying and restrictive. Deathbans do make it harder, but they efficiently screen newbs, whiners, many hackers, and all the players who generally make servers less fun. It's also useful for staff, as it cuts out many players who would otherwise cause trouble.

Custom Content:
  • Personally, I don't quite like the vanilla setup. While Minecraft's platform is amazing, the base game is dry and unrefined. So, in this server, there would be special structures, mobs, weapons, and more, almost entirely redesigning the game.

Diseases:
  • Diseases can make the server even more exciting.

Races/Class:
  • There may or may not be races and/or classes involved. This depends on what players want. Decide in chat!

Essentially it would have an anarchy-style gameplay, but with an entirely new game. New structures will dot the world for all to explore, special abilities can change how you play, and customized mobs can make it all interesting again.

What do you think?

TriusMalarky
Level 2 : Apprentice Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/27/2018 12:09 am
Level 26 : Expert Explorer
ChronoFury
Banning players temporarily upon death is not a good idea. People will just get frustrated and move on to another server.

I get that you're trying to the server more "hardcore" with the deathban feature but you're just pushing away the majority of Minecraft players who are more casual.
06/27/2018 10:41 am
TriusMalarky
Pushing away "casual" players is part of the goal. if your just there to play around on you off time, maybe staying or maybe not, then we don't need you on the server.
The deathbans definitely can't be super large, however, if they are large enough they keep away the players that you don't want on the server. The point here is that we want mature, skilled players. A mature skilled player(who is interested, of course) will only see the deathbans as a significant setback when they die, giving them more incentive to do well. It can also either increase or reduce violence, because players either know that it's not good to die or they see it as an additional reason to kill their enemies.

I don't know why people think "Oh, I die and can't play for an hou(or a day, etc.), I'd get frustrated and move to a different server. I play Minecraft to goof around and have fun doing whatever with my friends, not get really into the game and get good at it." Really, anyone who is not willing to
  • Be Mature
  • Practice and take time to get good at it
  • Actually use the server as it is intended to be, as a game that you need to get good at, rather than another world with fun content to mess around on
  • Realize that the deathbans are a double-edged sword; pushing away newbs, scrubs, and the like, while attracting the players that it would actually be fun to play with
does not deserve to be on the server. Which is basically what the deathbans do -- get rid of all players who fail the above test, without me banning every single one and ruining the reputation of the server because "the owner bans people he doesn't like." Also, the intended crowd isn't casual players, it's hardcore, into the server players who like it, are loyal, and don't mind the deathbans. EVEN if the deathbans were 15m, you'd feel the same way.

Also, you are making a stereotypical assumption -- that all Minecraft players are fat 12-year-olds. Fat 12-year-olds like it easy because they don't understand what a challenge is. In their minds, anything hard is evil because they can't do it, and they're too flippin lazy to put in time to learn to be able to do it. If all Minecraft players were fat 12-year-olds, then this idea would never have existed, because I would be a fat 12-year-old. And just because you're not fat and 12 doesn't mean you don't have the exact same flippin mindset as the rest of the scrubs who are.

It seems to me that the deathbans are already doing their job : keeping the people it isn't fun to play with off and far away, living in their little Pokeman or faction servers wasting their life and money away.

Also, here's an alternative to deathbans, if that would interest players more.
06/26/2018 6:34 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Princess
PufferJackets
Yes I would play on this, I'd even help in whatever way I can. I want to see this happen! c:
06/27/2018 11:54 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Princess
PufferJackets
thread does not exist
06/27/2018 12:06 pm
TriusMalarky
That should work
06/25/2018 5:20 am
Level 46 : Master Architect
Isz
Deathbans is an awful idea, I'd just log out and go play somewhere else where I can be a noob as much as I want
06/22/2018 11:55 pmhistory
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
thunderbolt73
Seems fine, death-bans are definitely a bad idea though. No real advantage, it just makes people rage and never log in to the server again.
06/23/2018 4:29 pm
TriusMalarky
Of course the deathbans would be balanced enough to not make the server unplayable. That exact plan could be set up as "1st death: none, 2nd death: 5m, 3rd death: 15m, 4th death: 30m, 5th death: 1h, 6th+ death: 2h"
That would cut the unwanted immature players while still allowing skilled players to play.

i.e. Say you had the best set of gear on the server, but you fell into a trap and it killed you. Some players might get angry and need some time to cool down, and deathbans automatically gives them that time while keeping others from the anger, and it prevents it from snowballing(they get mad and cuss in chat, getting them muted, making them madder. This would snowball until they leave for good).
It has its perks against players with anger management problems but are otherwise mature.\

i.e. Say you have a base and it's being raided. Assuming you have a stash(homes may or may not be included in the server), without a deathban you could reequip yourself and dash back to your base, giving whoever is raiding a disadvantage because of the many lives you would have. Of course, having no homes would fix this, but allowing players 2-3 homes will get more players on, as they are fairly standard in normal survival servers, whether it's factions, towny, or something else.

Also, many people see deathbans as inherently "bad." While it does make sense that they are worried of a lack of play time, if you are skilled enough then the only real reason you would die is when experiencing a new enemy or fighting another player, and even then not all the time if you have a decent amount of skill and gear. I have found that many people actually like them as well, so it can be a selling point on the server.

And if someone "rages and never logs in to the server again" then they are probably immature and then the deathbans have just done their job -- keep immature players who would plague the server and make it less fun off the server, without screening them and hurting feelings by banning them for something so trivial as "complaining that they died and they want their stuff back." Banning for stupid things would kill the server, while deathbans only screen out the scum of the Minecraft community. And while some see running a server as a business venture entirely to get players on and donating, I prefer having a server that not only pays for itself and is fun for me and my friends to play on, and immature players can ruin the experience of mature players.
06/23/2018 5:40 pmhistory
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
thunderbolt73
If you fell in a trap and it killed you, immature players would just quit anyways.

The players being raided already have a disadvantage in that the player has a very high chance of not being online. Plus, if they make it far from spawn, they can't really get back in time anyways.

Anarchy servers for the most part filter out immature players by default. 2b2t's spawn for example became the way it is specifically to filter out new people. Death bans would just be annoying. If it is anarchy, you are going to die WAY more than 6 times. A 2h wait is insane.
06/21/2018 10:39 pmhistory
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Seems counter-intuitive. Community-building is where you get long-term players. Using bans as a mechanic that punishes your active players seems like a good way to force your players to go play elsewhere. There's loads of hardcore mode options available on other servers, so unless the abilities, mobs, and structures you mentioned blow all those other options out of the water for miles, I don't see the value here.

I wouldn't personally play a server like this. I'd rather play on a server where I can play as long as I want despite deaths, even if that means losing my progress each time.
06/22/2018 3:26 pm
TriusMalarky
Many people feel that way. That is why it would be targeted towards the mature players -- they understand the necessity of a challenge. However, there is a reason that the proposed system is the way it is -- if you've died once or twice, the deathbans simply server as a short break for you to grab a snack, use the bathroom, and plan for your next move. Afterwards, once you've died enough times, it would really keep players out. The only problem here is that unskilled players will never get to the point where they can stay alive for a period of time long enough to partially negate the loss of a deathban. I have found, however, that unskilled players are also immature and therefore aren't the wanted crowd.

I have previously run a server with deathbans. It was quite similar to this idea, however, I had no time to successfully advertise and it didn't do too well. I did, however, find that players who did get on were very skilled, mature players(with the exception of some weird caps levels in the chat) or they were my friend(some of my friends are immature, I keep in touch because of my lack of easy-to-get opinions).

It does work, however, it requires significant advertising. I asked here because I want to know if players would like a server like this, and if enough liked it I would begin work.

Also, I am slightly eccentric, so content may or may not range from Demonic Sheep terrorizing the world to firearms. Also, this is part of why I like the deathbans -- they're fun for me.
06/25/2018 3:22 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
I consider myself to be quite a mature player (just check my profile if you want) and well... I don't see a challenge here, only a grind. And that can get boring really quick.

Just think about it for a moment: you're basically saying that you'll be forcing me to spend my time locked up unable to do anything but chatting. And that could last for up to 20 minutes? That's not a challenge at all, that's a boring design.

See: I came onto the server to play a game and get some entertainment in the first place. And having to wait before I can play again for no other reason than "because" is really not my idea of a well designed gameplay. Have to agree with Azie on this one: I'd probably log off and hop onto another server to kill the time I'd have to spend waiting, and that's where you'll get into problems because... if I'm having fun there then why would I go back?

See, this is the same issue you have with commercials. When I fall into a movie or series which seems like fun I keep watching. Then when the commercials start (some can last up to 10 minutes) I start zapping. Sometimes I then fall into another program I enjoy and the result is usually that I'll forget about the first channel altogether.

I came to that channel to watch a series or such, not commercials.

Just like I'd hop into a server to actually play a game, not to end up having to do nothing for 20 minutes.

And well, basically you're already admitting that this is flawed. Because a good server wouldn't require massive advertising, if players enjoy themselves then eventually that will attract more.

But in this day and age where the server market is pretty saturated... yah, if people get bored they'll go running.

Just my 2 cents of course.
06/26/2018 6:02 pm
TriusMalarky
You do have some good points there.

I still personally like deathbans though, but then again I am the weird one.

My view is:
I log onto a server that I found that seemed fun. I play around for a while and try it out. Then, say, I die. Now, for me, one death is fine and personally I have plenty of books or whatever if I am banned. However, if I have continued access to the server, I try again, but if I die repeatedly, either by, say, powerful mobs, or spawncamping players, I'm going to get angry and quit the server. However, if I can see enough and decide I like the server before dying, then I'd probably come back. In this way, deathbans are actually a way to get me on a server, so long as they're not more than a day or two.

Of course, depending on what content the server has there might not be deathbans(or I might set up a 2 -5 minute one just because I can). This would, for me anyway, require a super hardcore environment and a lot of content to explore.
For instance, a desert with very little food, water, or even dirt. And a temperature system, diseases, hostile mobs at night, the possibility of finding guns, and you can craft guns, and wood is rare-ish, and plant growth is cut, give or take some, throw in some big, dangerous events that can be predicted relatively well, and that would be epic.

But I'd still like deathbans.
06/21/2018 10:32 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Cake
MmanGamer14
This is an okay idea, but you will still need a spawn. (Imagine getting a deathban, waiting it out, respawning and immediately dying to a spawn camper/lava/aggressive mob/etc. Personally, I think that would suck.) As for jailing, it should be in the spawn area as a hidden area. (Otherwise, all hell breaks loose with overlapping deathbans.) Rules should at least protect players from harassment, forbid hacked clients/xray packs, and anything you feel should be added.

This is just my idea, but have you though about adding time travel/purge/world regen? (Every several months the world regenerates, but playerdata such as inventories and XP should be saved if they reach a specific point, and survive a wave of mobs attempting to survive.)
06/22/2018 3:15 pm
TriusMalarky
The time travel/purge/world regen could be quite interesting.

Of course, there would be a spawn, and a low-ish quality kit available that would really only be useful in the case that you just died.

Also, anti hack plugins and active staff as well as some rules would keep unfair advantages off of the server. I find that hacks are not only used by unskilled immature almost noobs, and they are not only hard to use but require a far better computer to be able to stay on the server( I know this because a couple of my friends kept forgetting to leave their hacked clients off when they joined, as they liked hacking on other larger servers).

I have found that suddenly dying is annoying, and spawn would be designed accordingly. Of course, the deathbans system could be changed if that's what the players want, I just prefer to keep it for aforementioned reasons.
06/21/2018 3:42 pm
TriusMalarky
EDIT: There will be rules. Not entirely anarchy, just rule-less enough to let the staff work on keeping the server running, and the players can do just about anything(no hacks, etc. though)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome