forum Forumsplay_arrow Discussions fiber_manual_record Gaming

Should I get Windows 8.1?

1 emerald30 replies822 views
created 01/20/2014 3:14 pm by IDKCharlie
last reply 01/28/2014 11:29 pm
I currently have Windows 7. My parents won't let me get a new PC, but I was informed by multiple people that upgrading to Windows 8 (really 8.1) will speed up my PC at least a little. I also like the looks of Windows 8.1, and I have an Xbox 360, so I'm familiar with it. Windows 8 is $120, (8.1 is free with it). So, do you think it's worth it?
Posted by avatar
IDKCharlie
Level 30 : Artisan Archer
R.I.P. This thread died because it's been inactive for months. You are unable to post new replies but feel free to read! If you feel this thread should be active again, message a moderator.

30 replies

01/28/2014 11:29 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Taco
acdc3367
Nah just save the money, no point in upgrading when they pretty much do the same thing. save the money for college fund or somthing
01/28/2014 11:28 pm
Level 47 : Master Architect
DiomondBlock
Windows 98 guys. It's the best.

Anywho windows 8 is great I can run Minecraft on my tiny tablet so that's awesome I can go on servers at school
01/28/2014 11:16 pm
Level 47 : Master Lad
evanmoney
Think about it, you could buy about 5 minecraft accounts with that amount of money
01/28/2014 11:09 pm
Level 24 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
With Windows 8.1 you can pick either the Windows 8 desktop, or the Windows 7 desktop.....So there goes the argument for the "confusion" and Windows 8 is by far, wayyyyyyy better for gaming. WAY better.
01/20/2014 6:32 pm
Level 40 : Master Modder
David5886
I say stick with Windows 7. Windows 8 is to improve performance with the big clime of touchscreen monitors, computer, and tablets. Gaming on Windows 8 is the same, same performance and fps. Me personally dont like the new start screen, and sticking with 7 because I prefer the start menu over the screen. Its up to you, you are going to get mix responses. Most people on the internet will say it is horrible. It is just up to you if you want that start screen, reduced areo affect. But remember, if you do upgrade to 8, backup your computer, when you install 8, it will erase everything on your computer (Which is true when you install any windows OS)
01/20/2014 6:21 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Engineer
MadOliveGaming
iSayCr4pAlot
-You need to be online to log in? o.O????.

Thats something thats a bit weirdly implemented. In first case it wants you to create a user account for microsoft in general and have that be your user account on your pc, butyou can work arround this bh simply making sure you have no internet for that part of the setup. If you have no internet it will let you make a local account like in all other windows versions. There is also a way arround without disabeling internet which might be saver cuz im not sure weither internet affects the rest of win installation, but youd have too look on youtube for that.
01/20/2014 5:57 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
iSayCr4pAlot
I vote Windows 7. However, Windows 8 is faster than 7.

Windows 7:
-Very good GUI (Graphical Unit Interface. IE: Start Menu)
-Pretty good with speed.

Windows 8:
-Bad GUI. It is so hard to navigate where you want to go.
-You need to be online to log in? o.O????
-Very Lightweight; fast.
01/20/2014 5:53 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Myrdden
I'm not entirely sure what the bandwagon hatred for Windows 8 is. I had Windows seven and actually by choice bought 8 for full price simply because I thought it was better. Do I regret that, not in the slightest.

Yes, windows 8 takes off of 7 quite a lot, but in truth, the system has actually changed. Windows 8 is far better optimized, coming with many feature and fixes to problems windows 7 had as well as several additions. The whole "Tablet focused" viewpoint is also a load of crap. Sure, the start menu is different and unusual. Some people don't like different and unusual, but in truth once you get used to it it is actually far more efficient and easy to use then the original 7 start menu (Speaking without a touch screen). The only downside in my mind is the apps, however none of them actually have to be used.

So if you want to get Windows 8, by all means, get it.
01/20/2014 5:42 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Engineer
MadOliveGaming
If you do it get 8.1, not just 8. 8.1 is an improved version of 8 and gets rid of some problems some ppl had. About 8 I can say it IS better for gaming, at least a bit and the difference will become clearer in the future. There have been many tests showing how win8 has better preformance overall and in gaming. IK many ppl complain about the thouchstuff, but you can actually make it boot directly to the desktop after you installed it (someone shows how to on yt using win8.1) + installing a tiny piece of free software gives you your old start menu back with even more options than the old one!
01/20/2014 4:00 pm
Level 45 : Master Sweetheart
Repson
I doubt most of the people posting that Win8 is bad for gaming havent even tried it and are going off of what is said.

Win8 is very good, it boots faster and i play minecraft with 120 FPS on max settings.
01/20/2014 3:56 pm
Level 29 : Expert Explorer
Zemor
With a few exceptions, gaming performance is pretty similar.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/win ... ,3331.html
01/20/2014 3:59 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Circuit Craft
That's windows 8, not 8.1, 8.1 brings tiled resources which allows high detail with 8x less ram usage
01/20/2014 3:55 pm
Level 26 : Expert Network
Descripted
yup, a better directx also.
01/20/2014 3:53 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Circuit Craft
YES!!!
It improves game performance by a ton, and the whole system is snappier, but there are a few games that it is not compatible with off the bat, but you can install an update for it.
I have been able to play on ultra with 60FPS on windows 8.1, compared to windows 7, with a mix of medium and high.
There are a ton of DirectX updates for windows 8.1 (directx 11.2 vs directx 11), which includes http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 82880.aspx
01/20/2014 3:50 pm
Level 26 : Expert Network
Descripted
^
gaming is the same.
01/20/2014 3:45 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
ChrisL
It's windows 7 with a few improvements and an app store. Gaming on it is exactly the same as on windows 7.
01/20/2014 3:44 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
I have windows 8. Minecraft runs fine on it plus it runs every other game that I have too.
01/20/2014 3:40 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Nerd
Irish
CrafterDragonStick with windows 7! Windows 8 is more for work and designing. Plus my friend has got it and he said he can't play minecraft on it. Stick with windows 7!

He said he cant play on it? Hate to break to o ya but it is 100% your friends fault, not the OS. I am currently running Win 8.1 with 200 FPS and about.....100 (Or so) mods.

Anyway, for OP. I would reaaaaally recommend it. All of these guys saying ''Win 8 sucks for gaming/overall'' are just going by what others are saying. It is just the same as 7, only it boots up faster and has a different start menu.
01/20/2014 3:39 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Nerd
ColbaltHD
I had windows 7 and upgraded to windows 8. Its SO much better. You need to get used to it which will take like a week. And OS usually does not effect gaming. I know windows 8 does not. Crafter Dragon is lying or his friend has done something cause i play minecraft just fine. So if it was me? I'd go with windows 8.1
01/20/2014 3:38 pm
Level 29 : Expert Explorer
Zemor
LastReachWindows 8 is literally Windows 7 with extra crap you probably don't want at all.

Download ClassicShell.
01/20/2014 3:33 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
Kaev
Oh my lord, how on Earth is it bad for gaming? I'm using it right now, there's nothing wrong with it.
It boots faster, it's better optimised, it's better for gaming in general. Most people who say they hate Win8 are just following the crowd, and that makes me laugh so much. Try it first please, and don't just comment on the layout. Get over it.

EDIT: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/windows/3466588/windows-7-or-8-which-is-best-for-gaming/
Eventually Win8 will become best if you want to play new high end games, with the best possible graphics. Developers are going to take advantage of Win8's features.
Didn't mean to sound like a jerk, it's down to personal preference of course. I'm just saying it's fine for gaming, and will at some point become better.
01/20/2014 3:31 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
xRecklessRobx
I have windows 8.1 on my laptop, and I honestly don't see whats so bad about it. Although my laptop isn't meant for gaming, I still play games like Minecraft and Garrys Mod, and I don't see any problems. My friend also has windows 8.1 on his Gaming PC, and he dosn't see any problems with it.
01/20/2014 3:31 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
FuzionPVPServer
Or go for windows xp XDDDDDDDD
01/20/2014 3:29 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Dragon
CrafterDragon
Stick with windows 7! Windows 8 is more for work and designing. Plus my friend has got it and he said he can't play minecraft on it. Stick with windows 7!
01/20/2014 3:26 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dolphin
notnobody
Windows 8 is literally Windows 7 with extra crap you probably don't want at all.
01/20/2014 3:24 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
CallumTheLlama
I had Windows 8 and went back to Windows 7 because it's so much easier. Windows 8 is more focused around tablets and other touchscreen devices.
01/20/2014 3:22 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Engineer
Strawberrypickle01
as said above it is not really for gaming. so I would advise no.
01/20/2014 3:19 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Architect
awesomecheeseman
Not worth it. It's more annoying than anything.
01/20/2014 3:19 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Goblin
poltercreeper
not if your using it for games
01/20/2014 3:16 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
FuzionPVPServer
Its not for gaming tough

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019