Are these specs good?

Dr_Steve's Avatar Dr_Steve1/1/16 11:55 am
1 emeralds 297 7
1/1/2016 8:24 pm
Dr_Steve's Avatar Dr_Steve
What sort of specs should I have for a PC that I have that I can SteamOS on, because I was told somewhere that I need these minimum specs:

1. Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor
2. 4GB or more memory
3. 500GB or larger disk
4. NVIDIA graphics card (AMD and Intel graphics support coming soon)
5. UEFI boot support
6. USB port for installation

But...could you

3. Use a smaller than 500GB SSD instead, such as for the OS itself (boot volume/drive) and put the games on the HDD?

4. run SteamOS on other other GPUs like from MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, EVGA, etc. too?

5. run it on a legacy BIOS too, because people might not necessarily use UEFI BIOS PC's?
Dr_Steve
Level 43 : Master Creeper

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/01/2016 8:24 pm
Level 43 : Master Creeper
Dr_Steve
My numbering began at 3 because I might have thought that if I did the questions starting from 1, people reading this thread might not know which answers are for which questions, even though I did put the 1st answer for the first question at the top of the list, and so on.

And I just had to know for sure if I could be able to play Steam or run SteamOS on some older hardware, because I had these Core 2 Quad and Pentium 4 HT (dual core w/ Hyperthreading @ 3 GHz) PCs laying around that my friend gave to me
01/01/2016 12:58 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Princess
craftergurl
You didnt say what number graphics card you just said NVIDIA can you specify?
01/01/2016 1:01 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
BananaInCharge
Any Nvidia GPU is supported
01/01/2016 12:45 pm
BananaInCharge
Also why does your numbering for the questions start at 3?
01/01/2016 12:38 pm
BananaInCharge
Took me 2 seconds to Google search this and find exactly the answer.

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

About the GPU: MSI, EVGA and the other names are just brands who make graphics cards, they don't have their own GPU architecture or anything. They use either Nvidia or AMD GPUs in their cards, both of which are fine for SteamOS.

I don't really know why you would want to build your own Steam Machine, to me it seems ridiculous to build a gaming PC that can't play the majority of games because it is limited by a Linux based OS. I'd recommend that if you're building a gaming computer then just use Windows because it is a lot simpler and supports a hell of a lot more games.

With SteamOS you run into a lot of the same issues people who use Linux based operating systems run into, except SteamOS is more restricted in what it is allowing you to change.
01/01/2016 12:26 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Ranger
SkytechCEO
Take a read through this site, this should clear up all of the confusion, also the question on the gpus is quite easily answered, you should be able to do it on any GPU, from any make/manufacturer, and as far as I know, it can run on a legacy bios.

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown
01/01/2016 12:14 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
CompositionC4
Okay, if you tell me what your budget is I could compile a build for you. Is this to be a console killer build?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome