What game engine should I use?

Nedyar10's Avatar Nedyar106/12/16 6:09 am
1 emeralds 288 2
6/12/2016 6:23 am
anonpmc1231920's Avatar anonpmc1231920
Recently, I've been searching for "game-making applications" lately. I've found stuff like "Game Maker", "Gamesalad" and "Unity" but I don't know what to choose out there. I know this is probably the wrong site to ask this but I'm curious to see if there's anyone out there who is way more experienced at making games. I would like to know what you use for this.
(ps. I am using mac)
Nedyar10
Level 15 : Journeyman Lumberjack

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/12/2016 6:23 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
06/12/2016 6:20 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Modder
OhLookItsHeybrid
Well it depends on what you plan to do...
As far as I'm aware (I've never used it personally...) Game Maker is more for casual games and takes less coding and has more easy to use default assets. However, engines like Unity, Unreal or CryEngine have much more customization but generally take more skill. If you have good knowledge of C# or C++ (If you know Java, C# shouldn't be too hard) then I would jump straight into one of the more professional game engines like Unity or Unreal Engine. Whereas if you are more of a beginner and just looking to make a quick game without doing much coding then I would go with something more like Game Maker or RPG Maker.

Essentially, Unity and other engines like it are much more powerful, professional and useful, if you are looking for a job as a developer knowing how to use these tools will come in handy. However, Game Maker and other engines like it are much easier for beginners and will slowly ease you into programming and of course you will be able to make some awesome 2D games with it as well.

It doesn't really matter what engine you use as long as the end-product is good and you have tried hard, putting in the necessary effort.

tl;dr - Unity = More Powerful, Game Maker = Easier, It's up to you
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome