What do you think of gaming laptops?

Navbarry's Avatar Navbarry1/20/14 11:46 pm
1/21/2014 9:00 am
Leeberator's Avatar Leeberator
My question is what do you think of gaming laptops? Personally, I believe they are overpriced and unnecessary, what do you think?
Navbarry
Level 41 : Master Blob

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/21/2014 9:00 am
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
For laptops' usefulness at LAN parties:

A while back (2010?), Motorola made a laptop-style docking station for one of their phones that essentially turned your phone into a laptop. The lapdock uses standard micro USB and micro HDMI to connect. With the right adapters, you can take your gaming desktop, this lapdock, the desktop's power cord, an HDMI cable, a USB cable, and a mouse to a LAN party and play on the 1366x768 screen on the lapdock (with sound).

The things are cheap nowadays; getting something like this set up could cost less than $70 if you find halfway decent deals. It's certainly cheaper than buying a gaming desktop and gaming laptop, and less impractical than lugging around a gaming desktop + a monitor + power cables + peripherals.
01/21/2014 8:53 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
KINGxxDMAN
Ok honestly i travel ALOT I'm constently traveling, and with a good gaming laptop I can go anywhere maybe play a little minecraft some garys mod here and there and boom im a happy camper! But honestly I think desktops are better upgraded able where laptops arent so honestly i have a alienware laptop and i love it!!!! but im saving up for maybe a gaming pc so i can work from home and on the go
01/21/2014 8:45 am
Level 41 : Master Blob
Navbarry
Hmmm well this is interesting, I did not expect such close results.
01/21/2014 8:07 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Programmer
krisdb2009
The vote I would have picked is not up there. So they are ok computers. Not the best. They can handle games better than any other laptop and they are not so light weight and portabke. They are way over priced as is a gaming desktop if you decide to buy a pre built gaming desktop. Se your options for price to performance would be a nice custom build yourself on a sale day on newegg.

If ya got the money and you need it too be a laptop go for it. If you are poor and could suffer a desktop build it yourself and save tons of money.
01/21/2014 7:31 am
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
MadOliveGaming
They are ok. I have one atm, they are pretty good but their peeformance seems to go down quite fast. Ive had it for slightly over 1,5 years and I dont enjoy playing on it anymore.

though mine was only like 800 to 900 dollars. Still I used to bring it to school daily, and thats what made it worth the buy for me. Somif you move alot tomplaces with limited space get one. For even weekly lan parties just get a mITX system, small and with the right case spacy enough for any gpu and cpu and very trasportable. Thats the way I might go for my new pc instead of a massively large fulltower.
01/21/2014 3:55 am
Level 25 : Expert Hunter
bigf
Depends if you're a hardcore gamer. I'm not a hardcore gamer. I'm a hardcore Minecrafter and that still deserves a good PC because of all da mods and stuff. I don't have a good PC.
01/21/2014 1:50 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Pirate
HugoStrangeGames
Alls I am sayin' is, if you're not a college student, on the go 24/7 or bring it to work, why bother? You can save a lot of money buying parts for a tower yourself, and when something goes wrong you can fix or replace anything you need to without fear of voiding manufacturer warranties. I could see it being useful waiting at the dentist/doctor/anywhere you wait. but for $1000+???

Source:
My old buddy bought-well his mother bought him a fully loaded, every bell and whistle possible Alienware M17X. After tax it was almost 3 grand. To top that off withen the first 6 months it started having memory problems, SSD problems(I think one failed), fan problems and constant GPU overheating causing the thing to crash constantly not even under load. It once crashed browsing funnyjunk due to overheating. Essentially it ended up as a $3000 tray to roll joints over. To top that off I built a $1120 rig after tax that performed better. Thats $1900 left over to spend on god knows what. GTX 780s on 780s maybe. 800gb SSDs? Who knows???

Mind you I do know that the market has more reliable brands than Dell overcharging but I still view it as a total waste.

Finally I say this. If you're really going to spend over $1000 on a computer to play video games on... Are you really going outside, you dirty lil' neckbeard? *scratches neckbeard* *tips fedora*

01/21/2014 1:21 am
Level 26 : Expert Mountaineer
alj21
Everyone is under the impression that they're completely useless and underpowered, and if you owned one, you would know that this is certainly not the case. Laptops are great for portability, all-roundness, and the ability to go outside. Where I live in Australia, in the Summer (and sometimes the other seasons) it gets very hot, and being able to sit out on the veranda while playing a game, such as Minecraft, is something you just can't do with a bulky desktop.
01/21/2014 1:09 am
Level 42 : Master Dragon
CrafterDragon
I would just keep to the basic one.
01/21/2014 1:04 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ladybug
McJackson3180
I don't recommend one, they are cool but so inbelievably expensive
01/21/2014 4:14 am
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
Unbelievably .. And not necessarily - I got my laptop for under 800$, and other than the graphics card, it's pretty much a gaming laptop. If I keep it cool and don't have any internet issues, I can play all of the games I want to play on high/high-ish settings with little to no lag..

But yeah, I'd only recommend getting a laptop if you have a lack of space and/or travel a lot .. I got mine because I didn't have much space and was planning to move soon after i got it.. And have ended up moving a LOT, so it's really come in handy. Long bus ride? Pfft.. No problem, especially if they have wi-fi, which most do. ;P
01/21/2014 12:27 am
Level 39 : Artisan Blob
Chrix12
What Magicman said pretty much.

If you don't need portability, you don't need a (gaming) laptop.

I don't even need a gaming laptop to be able to play on a laptop. My 6 years old HP pavilion DV5 runs Fallout New Vegas and Portal 2 just fine. I only have a (4) laptop(s) at the moment, but I don't need portability (anymore) so it is going to change (since my newest PC is that DV5).

Yesterday I ordered some parts for my desktop I am going to build.
01/21/2014 12:16 am
Level 23 : Expert Engineer
Area511
I bought an Alienware M14X for $1200
It's amazing because I can play all my games on bed, outside, friends house everywhere, but don't buy it if your not gonna use for travel.
Also try to get the screen bigger as much as you can or you will have a bad time with it...
I bought an 27 inch monitor and plugged my laptop on it, couldn't deal with small screen anymore so at home : laptop + monitor
outside: laptop.

Good luck!
01/21/2014 12:01 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
If you go to a lot of LAN parties (and I mean a LOT) then a gaming laptop could be a great investment. All you'd need to bring is the laptop, power cord, and maybe a mouse. With a desktop, you'd have to bring the CPU, monitor, speakers (if you wanted sound, which not a lot of people care about at LAN parties), keyboard, and you need to find a spot to it all at.

This, of course, is relating to a portable gaming life. If you don't move around with your computer much, then it wouldn't be very smart, as you can easily upgrade your CPU to whatever you want.
01/20/2014 11:57 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
If you don't have to have the portability, it's a complete waste of money. You can get a more powerful desktop that's easier to upgrade later for less money.
01/20/2014 11:55 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Blue175
Depends If You Play A Lot
01/20/2014 11:53 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter
elfin8er
Well, it all depends on how important portability is to you.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome