forum Forumsplay_arrow Discussions fiber_manual_record Gaming

1

Windows 10: Will you be getting it or not?

1 emerald75 replies2,983 views
created 07/29/2015 7:13 am by Tabbin
last reply 07/30/2015 7:05 pm
Hey, so I'm going to be upgrading to windows 10 once I get 'chosen' to do so. Are you going to be?

Also, if you're. What are you most hyped about?

Personally, I love the idea of the new broswer and also the compatibility of being able to connect my xbox one to my pc! It means I can record without an elgato!
Posted by avatar
Tabbin
Level 56 : Grandmaster Batman
50

comment Login or register to post a reply.

75 replies

07/30/2015 7:05 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Ladybug
Xenoniuss
Will upgrade, but not anytime soon. I'm going to wait around 3 months, bug shoulds be fixed by then and there would be enough reviews.
07/30/2015 6:50 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Trickyshade
I've already upgraded. It's really awesome! (ps I only upgraded for the new edition of mc)
07/30/2015 6:48 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
tywilburn16
Like i said (maybe not here, dont remember) windows 10, to me, is fancy windows 7.
07/30/2015 3:46 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Artist
ItsJustVanilla
My main computer right now is a MacBook Air, running Mac OS X, and I'm alright with that.

However, I do own a Dell laptop from 2011 running Windows 7. However, the OS basically broke. Here's some of the things I was unable to do after the OS broker for no reason:
1) I couldn't change the date or time
2) I couldn't open files (I could only open them by using the search bar in the Start menu)
3) Some websites require a specific plugin in order to run an application, but the prompt at the top of the browser that asks if you want to run the plugin doesn't show up.
I'm thinking about getting the free upgrade for Windows 10, and just doing a Clean Install, which I hope can fix said issues with the laptop. Not only that, but I have TONS of junk on the hard drive, so I'd like to wipe that off as well during the Clean Install.
I'm still not 100% sure if I WILL upgrade, but I'm considering it.

Short answer: Probably.
07/30/2015 4:13 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Seems like you might have a virus, or just outdated plugins. Or both.

Have you done a Malware scan? If not try these free ones ^v^
https://www.malwarebytes.org/
https://www.avast.com/

I hope you can download them. If not you can download Avast! on your Mac and if you have a USB then plug it in and make a Rescue Disk. Then plug it into your Dell. Restart your Dell and make it boot of the USB. Hope that helps! Gl

*edited to english*
07/30/2015 1:56 pm
Level 40 : Master Mage
Pixel
07/30/2015 3:27 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
I tried the Technical Preview. Didn't have a Microsoft account so I couldn't use Cortona. Meh... :/

Windows 10...

Most likely some Linux lover trying to convert everyone!
07/30/2015 2:08 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Modder
GamerBah
I'll take a guess you have a mac

Edit: Saw your post about Linux.
I'm sorry for your loss.
07/30/2015 2:20 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
i love pmc
You aren't losing anything by using Linux, lol
Edit: My bad, a game or two. You get just about everything else that Windows doesn't offer besides that.
07/30/2015 1:48 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect
PurpleWillow104
Just got Windows 10. As far as I can tell, it's hardly different from XP, 7, or 8 besides the layout. Doesn't seem to be an improvement.
As for the Minecraft Windows 10 version, I downloaded the "completely free" version, which is actually only a trial, and found out it's pretty much like MCPE. There are about five options and no resource pack availability, it seems. I tried to open the old Minecraft, but it just keeps crashing. I'm not able to go back to Windows 7 'cause I can't back it up.... My Minecraft life is pretty much ruined. If you haven't yet, don't "upgrade" to Minecraft Windows 10! It's not an upgrade at all.

Tell me if I'm wrong.
07/30/2015 3:42 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
RiotShielder
The Windows 10 literally is the MCPE version. It's not replacing the desktop client.
07/30/2015 2:19 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Modder
GamerBah
If you can't play the "old" Minecraft, try updating video drivers... that's all I can say. It runs fine for me.

Back to the main topic of this, I got Win 10 and I'm very impressed. The Layout is really good looking, everything is smooth, and Cortana is pretty cool! Haven't seen any problems besides having to update my NVIDIA drivers.
07/30/2015 3:36 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect
PurpleWillow104
Well, I wasn't able to update those.... My mom helped me, though, and it turns out that I could downgrade to W7, I just had to be on the admin login.

Sorry for the little rant, by the way, I just kinda hate W10.
We're each entitled to our own opinions.
07/30/2015 1:38 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Archer
Blurgzy_
No way bro Win10 Evil 666
07/30/2015 1:32 pm
Level 47 : Master Baconator
BenDragonsword
My family's probably going to hold off until the end of the year, see how many issues they fix and how the general reaction is, and then upgrade if there's not any glaring problems.

I mean, it's free for this year, so unless there's something that makes it overall worse than Windows 7, we'll update in November / December.
07/30/2015 6:46 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect
Pi Time Productions
I agree.
07/30/2015 1:21 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pixel Painter
TaterTotQueen
I'm actually typing this from a windows 10
07/30/2015 1:16 pm
Level 43 : Master Dragonborn
Valar_Morghulis
Since my laptop keeps randomly shutting down, the monitor frame is snapping off and my cooling fan is getting destroyed, I'll get it once I get a new computer.
07/30/2015 12:45 pm
Level 1 : New Network
deleteplz
Linux for life. Working on my own distribution right now.
07/30/2015 11:10 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Click to reveal

#YouJustGotSpoilerd

I used Ubuntu before. It was ok... It's harder to get programs though and requires using terminal a lot.

I will eventually upgrade because of the Direct X12. Unless somehow Windows 7 will support it in the future
07/30/2015 10:06 am
Level 25 : Expert Network
Okita
Loving Windows 10!
The layout is convenient and the colors are so crisp!
Check out the media player window! http://prntscr.com/7yu08m
07/30/2015 9:42 am
Level 72 : Legendary Pixel Painter
AudioOwl
Honestly, I actually really like windows 8.1 It's grown on me, and I like the start menu. It seems like all this version really is, is a downgrade to windows 7, with a modern look, and a few new features.
07/30/2015 6:03 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrthus
it's too early in it's days for me, i have until 29th/07/2016 to decide if i want it, by then i wont have this computer and my reservation will no longer exist
07/30/2015 6:01 am
Level 27 : Expert Nerd
TehDansorz
ThePixelPonyHow about you get Linux? Windows is just for people who are either clueless, don't believe in Wine or love paying licence fees to a massive corporation that destroys your privacy... or maybe haven't considered alternatives? I was there too!



Using Windows is not fine!

Microsoft gives you Windows. Linux gives you the whole house.


[quote='NoodleBot™' pid='47233293' dateline='1438198918']

No.... People still don't get it.

Giving something away to millions of users for free is probably the easiest way to get them "infected" with your spyware.
Nothing in this world is free.


I second this statement, which, by the way, is not an opinion. It is a fact. The privacy policy is written down in black and white.


As long as you're using "WinXP", "Win7" or other "WinCrap", you lose freedom and privacy.[/quote]

4chan best source 10/10
If you'd actually understand anything then you'd know that you can turn any unwanted feature off very easily, most not even requiring third-party programs.
07/30/2015 5:39 am
Level 25 : Expert Network
Okita
Just got Windows 10, few issues, but liking the layout
Major issue: won't connect to my monitor through HDMI (laptop)
07/30/2015 5:33 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
I have used Linux before and it's a great OS with its own advantages, but I'm now a windows user because most stuff actually works with it (which is very nice). I wasn't even that mad at win8.1 but I must say that win10 is a lot better.

The upgrade didn't break anything for me, which is nice. If it did for you, try updating your drivers. So all in all:
- upgrade from win8? yes
- upgrade from win7? yes

PS
Read what Nubslayer said above, I completely agree with that.
07/30/2015 5:08 am
Level 22 : Expert Ninja
_benjimaestro
ThePixelPony
tywilburn16
ThePixelPonyHow about you get Linux? Windows is just for people who are either clueless, don't believe in Wine or love paying licence fees to a massive corporation that destroys your privacy... or maybe haven't considered alternatives? I was there too!



Using Windows is not fine!

Microsoft gives you Windows. Linux gives you the whole house.


[quote='NoodleBot™' pid='47233293' dateline='1438198918']

No.... People still don't get it.


Giving something away to millions of users for free is probably the easiest way to get them "infected" with your spyware.
Nothing in this world is free.

I second this statement, which, by the way, is not an opinion. It is a fact. The privacy policy is written down in black and white.


As long as you're using "WinXP", "Win7" or other "WinCrap", you lose freedom and privacy.



LOL. i had linux once...biggest mistake i ever made. Heck, why get a program named after a beverage that runs windows programs? Ive tried many different viersions of linux, all of which crapped my PC out and its a pretty strong one. I am sticking with windows 10. also, windows 10 isnt a virus.


If you're not going to back up (validate) even a single point that you make, do not bother replying.

> Heck, why get a program named after a beverage that runs windows programs?
Why name an OS after a house component? This point is invalid.

> Ive tried many different viersions of linux, all of which crapped my PC out and its a pretty strong one.
I've* versions* Linux*
What does "Strong" mean? GNU/Linux is more lightweight than Windows, so this is a blatant lie.

> also, windows 10 isnt a virus.
Isn't*
Destroy the points made in that image or don't make this invalid point. Oh wait, you can't because the image above contains truth. Windows is effectively malware.

Maybe because of the rollercoaster loop of a learning curve Linux has. Do you foam at the mouth every time Windows is mentioned, or are you just some kinda OS missionary? As part of /r/pcmasterrace, our thing is choice. That's probably the biggest advantage over consoles. So why not choice over OS? Let people be and let them use whatever they want. I use Windows because it's the best OS for gaming. Oh, SteamOS uses Linux? That's because they aren't gonna build their own from scratch or pay MS to use Windows. I use both Win and Linux, because both have advantages. I do prefer Windows because I have never had major issues with it, like y'know, half of my stuff not work with it. Nothing in the world is free? Oh so you can use the whole 'Linux is free' argument but when Windows is free that's so awful isn't it. You can literally turn off any anti privacy stuff you don't like. Windows update P2P? Turned off. WiFi sense? Turned off.

TL;DR
Leave people alone to have whatever software they want, that's what's so great about PC. Why do you care so much about something that has nothing to do with you?
07/30/2015 2:43 am
Level 25 : Expert Dragon
amazoDog161
Oh ye, LINUX
07/30/2015 2:43 am
Level 25 : Expert Dragon
amazoDog161
I'll get it. Have to tweak the privacy settings though. That new agreement is some s***. Let em' go through my emails, speech data, messages, online purchases and then sell it for $. Gotta block that.
07/30/2015 2:11 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
Just got windows 10 today, and i must say:
It is worth it.
They brought back the start menu with a windows 8 twist, and Cortana is awesome!
Controlling different windows is even easier now as well. And all the new icons and file explorer layout are just awesome...
07/29/2015 8:55 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Taco
krookyj
I'm gonna see how good Windows 10 is, and if it's good enough, i'll upgrade.
07/29/2015 8:46 pm
Level 24 : Expert Lumberjack
Alva
Had it for a while now, about half a year. Performance wise I haven't seen any improvement from Windows 7 Ultimate which i had previously installed, but I don't know how much better it will work on a slower computer. At first I wasn't a fan of the new GUI and design but you gradually get used to it.

Also: To the people that are confused about this, for the next year, anyone who has Windows 7 or 8 can download Windows 10 for free. After the year, you still get to keep Windows 10 permanently and receive future updates, but people who haven't already upgraded will now have to pay.

Also also: Guys the discussion is about Windows 10 let's keep it that way because it seems everytime someone makes a good post it gets locked
07/29/2015 8:45 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
DCK1234

i'm sorry but IT students are using Linux. The only reason for this is because it's opensource. this means that they can make their own applications for it, what would be a nice thing for an IT study. but to do all the other stuff, all the IT students have a second OS which is or IOS (from Apple) or Windows. And they are using this OS for the general stuff.

So IT students use it. Makes sense I guess. My point referring to students, however, was not to their specific study but related to that most students have a tight budget and dont want to spend money on stuff they dont have to (not counting pizza or getting wasted, but thats another matter (though unfortunately not a stereotype)
07/29/2015 8:03 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
xxlinuxyxx
I tried the Beta and the rc of Windows 10. I think it pretty good to release to the public.

But I think Linux Mint is better
07/29/2015 7:57 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
tywilburn16
Well, you wont be let down by windows 10. though, to me its just fancy windows 7.
07/29/2015 7:33 pm
Level 45 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Bookmarking this so I can clean this up when I get to my computer. I thought we knew better than to bring up anything related to PCs...

Anyways, I plan on upgrading soon. Looks nice to me, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Granted, I haven't heard much, but it still seems promising.
07/29/2015 7:29 pm
Level 26 : Expert Pig
Dark_Alpha_
ThePixelPonyHow about you get Linux? Windows is just for people who are either clueless, don't believe in Wine or love paying licence fees to a massive corporation that destroys your privacy... or maybe haven't considered alternatives? I was there too!
Bla Bla Bla Bla you can read it above here


someone is being paranoid.

and by the way, as long as you use google, you don't have privacy at all.
google is far worse than any other company. the only thing that can top google in this area is the government of the Netherlands.

FantasymasterPixelpony, will you please stop with the bloody linux? we all understand that you think linux is superior to everything. However, despite all its amazing features and being free, its not being generally used. Not even by students and cheap people that go out of their way to pirate stuff and save money in tons of other methods.
So there must be something holding back the penny-pinching masses, no matter if the reason is rational.

Now please get the hell out of the windows-fanboy thread that all of us fanboys are complaining about windows in, and stop acting like a jehovah's witness.


i'm sorry but IT students are using Linux. The only reason for this is because it's opensource. this means that they can make their own applications for it, what would be a nice thing for an IT study. but to do all the other stuff, all the IT students have a second OS which is or IOS (from Apple) or Windows. And they are using this OS for the general stuff.
07/29/2015 7:19 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
Pixelpony, will you please stop with the bloody linux? we all understand that you think linux is superior to everything. However, despite all its amazing features and being free, its not being generally used. Not even by students and cheap people that go out of their way to pirate stuff and save money in tons of other methods.
So there must be something holding back the penny-pinching masses, no matter if the reason is rational.

Now please get the hell out of the windows-fanboy thread that all of us fanboys are complaining about windows in, and stop acting like a jehovah's witness.
07/29/2015 7:13 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
ThePixelPony
tywilburn16
ThePixelPonyHow about you get Linux? Windows is just for people who are either clueless, don't believe in Wine or love paying licence fees to a massive corporation that destroys your privacy... or maybe haven't considered alternatives? I was there too!



Using Windows is not fine!

Microsoft gives you Windows. Linux gives you the whole house.


[quote='NoodleBot™' pid='47233293' dateline='1438198918']

No.... People still don't get it.


Giving something away to millions of users for free is probably the easiest way to get them "infected" with your spyware.
Nothing in this world is free.

I second this statement, which, by the way, is not an opinion. It is a fact. The privacy policy is written down in black and white.


As long as you're using "WinXP", "Win7" or other "WinCrap", you lose freedom and privacy.



LOL. i had linux once...biggest mistake i ever made. Heck, why get a program named after a beverage that runs windows programs? Ive tried many different viersions of linux, all of which crapped my PC out and its a pretty strong one. I am sticking with windows 10. also, windows 10 isnt a virus.


If you're not going to back up (validate) even a single point that you make, do not bother replying.

> Heck, why get a program named after a beverage that runs windows programs?
Why name an OS after a house component? This point is invalid.

> Ive tried many different viersions of linux, all of which crapped my PC out and its a pretty strong one.
I've* versions* Linux*
What does "Strong" mean? GNU/Linux is more lightweight than Windows, so this is a blatant lie.

> also, windows 10 isnt a virus.
Isn't*
Destroy the points made in that image or don't make this invalid point. Oh wait, you can't because the image above contains truth. Windows is effectively malware.

first of all, how would one of the biggest companies be legally selling an operating system made for a botnet
you can easily disable windows update even though they don't give you the option. if there's hacks and tweaks to make windows 8.1 look like xp there's a tweak to disable windows update

who said you NEED to be connected to the internet to use windows.

cortana is optional.

has wine been updated to work perfectly with ALL APPS AND GAMES?

wifi sense... DONT USE WIFI using a broadband cable is faster anyway

so your point has been quite invalidated

also "Someone suggested it, so i made it" how do you know he isn't just reading facts some person made up? its hard to believe anything from 4chan or whatever *bs*chan that comes from i swear you are just a troll or someone who makes up random bs about windows just because you don't like it... here's an idea IF YOU DON'T LIKE WINDOWS, WHY POST HERE? this post was meant to ask people if they were upgrading, not to bash on windows in general
07/29/2015 7:00 pm
Level 40 : Master Mage
Pixel
tywilburn16
ThePixelPonyHow about you get Linux? Windows is just for people who are either clueless, don't believe in Wine or love paying licence fees to a massive corporation that destroys your privacy... or maybe haven't considered alternatives? I was there too!



Using Windows is not fine!

Microsoft gives you Windows. Linux gives you the whole house.


[quote='NoodleBot™' pid='47233293' dateline='1438198918']

No.... People still don't get it.


Giving something away to millions of users for free is probably the easiest way to get them "infected" with your spyware.
Nothing in this world is free.

I second this statement, which, by the way, is not an opinion. It is a fact. The privacy policy is written down in black and white.


As long as you're using "WinXP", "Win7" or other "WinCrap", you lose freedom and privacy.



LOL. i had linux once...biggest mistake i ever made. Heck, why get a program named after a beverage that runs windows programs? Ive tried many different viersions of linux, all of which crapped my PC out and its a pretty strong one. I am sticking with windows 10. also, windows 10 isnt a virus.


If you're not going to back up (validate) even a single point that you make, do not bother replying.

> Heck, why get a program named after a beverage that runs windows programs?
Why name an OS after a house component? This point is invalid.

> Ive tried many different viersions of linux, all of which crapped my PC out and its a pretty strong one.
I've* versions* Linux*
What does "Strong" mean? GNU/Linux is more lightweight than Windows, so this is a blatant lie.

> also, windows 10 isnt a virus.
Isn't*
Destroy the points made in that image or don't make this invalid point. Oh wait, you can't because the image above contains truth. Windows is effectively malware.
07/29/2015 6:36 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
tywilburn16
ThePixelPonyHow about you get Linux? Windows is just for people who are either clueless, don't believe in Wine or love paying licence fees to a massive corporation that destroys your privacy... or maybe haven't considered alternatives? I was there too!



Using Windows is not fine!

Microsoft gives you Windows. Linux gives you the whole house.


[quote='NoodleBot™' pid='47233293' dateline='1438198918']

No.... People still don't get it.


Giving something away to millions of users for free is probably the easiest way to get them "infected" with your spyware.
Nothing in this world is free.

I second this statement, which, by the way, is not an opinion. It is a fact. The privacy policy is written down in black and white.


As long as you're using "WinXP", "Win7" or other "WinCrap", you lose freedom and privacy.



LOL. i had linux once...biggest mistake i ever made. Heck, why get a program named after a beverage that runs windows programs? Ive tried many different viersions of linux, all of which crapped my PC out and its a pretty strong one. I am sticking with windows 10. also, windows 10 isnt a virus.
07/29/2015 6:32 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Dolphin
RiditMan
I might idk im excited for two things: the old start menu plus the new start menu and Minecraft Windows 10 edition!
07/29/2015 6:30 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
RoboShadow
me1001No, i'm not dealing with the hassle of getting my programs and documents backed up for windows 10. I have absolutely no problem with windows 8 since I got Classic Shell and Custom themes. I haven't even seen the reserve button in my taskbar. I have no use for Cortana (don't have, and don't want a microphone) or xbox integration (i don't have an xbox). Plus, the forced updates (i'm talking about the feature ones) arent very appealing to me.

But there's directx 12 and better security and windows 10 will be supported longer then 8.
07/29/2015 6:05 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect
Pi Time Productions
No, i'm not dealing with the hassle of getting my programs and documents backed up for windows 10. I have absolutely no problem with windows 8 since I got Classic Shell and Custom themes. I haven't even seen the reserve button in my taskbar. I have no use for Cortana (don't have, and don't want a microphone) or xbox integration (i don't have an xbox). Plus, the forced updates (i'm talking about the feature ones) arent very appealing to me.

EDIT: I still use a windows xp computer (not connected to internet ) Because i have my only copy of office on there. Also have a windows 2k computer for DOS programs

EDIT 2: I still use local accounts cuz i do not wish to sign up for a microsoft account AND i do not have windows 8 devices to sync to.
07/29/2015 5:52 pm
Level 40 : Master Mage
Pixel
How about you get Linux? Windows is just for people who are either clueless, don't believe in Wine or love paying licence fees to a massive corporation that destroys your privacy... or maybe haven't considered alternatives? I was there too!



Using Windows is not fine!

Microsoft gives you Windows. Linux gives you the whole house.


[quote='NoodleBot™' pid='47233293' dateline='1438198918']

No.... People still don't get it.

Giving something away to millions of users for free is probably the easiest way to get them "infected" with your spyware.
Nothing in this world is free.
[/quote]

I second this statement, which, by the way, is not an opinion. It is a fact. The privacy policy is written down in black and white.


As long as you're using "WinXP", "Win7" or other "WinCrap", you lose freedom and privacy.
07/29/2015 5:49 pm
Level 28 : Expert Artist
Jedi
I've decided to upgrade my Windows 8.1 laptop, if I like it I'll be putting it on my gaming desktop.
07/29/2015 5:22 pm
Level 40 : Master Modder
David5886
Currently upgrading my main laptop to it. My moms laptop has it installed and it is pretty nice. I am loving it so far
07/29/2015 4:21 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
tywilburn16
I got it, and i have to say im impressed. It comes with its own screen recorder, but doesnt do sound, but other than that works GREAT. It seems to take up less recources than windows 8.1 did.
07/29/2015 4:16 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
Animatrix
My main OS is Linux (Ubuntu MATE on desktop, Arch on laptop) but my Windows partition hasn't given me the option to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm fine with Windows 7 seeing as I only use Windows for gaming and editing Word documents, plus i'm not entirely sold on Windows 10. I want to see more of the final release before I put it on one of my machines.
07/29/2015 4:11 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Mlem Mlem Bat
Boja
I'm just waiting for it to say my download is ready .-.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome