2d level designvideogame_asset

justamedomz's Avatar justamedomz10/17/20 6:47 pm
10/17/2020 9:16 pm
justamedomz's Avatar justamedomz
I have been working on a video game of my own for quite a while now, I have most of it planned out, but I need some help with level design. The game will be a 2d scrolling platformer (vertical and horizontal) with some special mechanics involved. I plan to have 11 unique zones/worlds with 2 or 3 levels in them. the zones are:
Mountain Ruin Zone: this zone sets the stage for the game and it will foreshadow some events that happen later. It introduces mechanics and shows you how to play.
Lake Crossing Zone: This zone will set you up with some items to use as you progress, it also provides platforming challenges.
Forest Zone: an easier zone with a spookier vibe. Lumber Mill Zone: Where the logs get chopped, full of dangerous saw blades.
Desert Zone: Just an ordinary desert.
Factory/ Nuclear plant (I am unsure at the moment) A zone with contraptions and obsticales that will hurt or help you.
Portal: A labyrinth of mystery which you must traverse to uncover the portal to the perilous path.
Perilous Path: It's exactly what it sounds like.
Final Fortress: A castle that is absolutely massive!
If you have any interest making some levels feel free to let me know in the comments, I will post the temporary tile set so you can use it as a resource. You can use any editor you'd like to make the levels as long as it can be exported as an image file. I would appreciate any help!
justamedomz
Level 59 : Grandmaster Hero

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/17/2020 8:47 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Pokemon
killer_miles
what is it?
10/17/2020 9:16 pm
justamedomz
It's a game I'm working on I need help making some levels. It's a 2d game like Mario, so something along those lines would be good, but I'd prefer if you read all the comments because I go into detail there
10/17/2020 7:11 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
garlicbreathinator
If you could explain what your core mechanics are I can see what I could build around them.Without that, it's hard to tell what will work and what wont.
10/17/2020 7:20 pm
justamedomz
I won't really be using anything that's never been used before, but I haven't seen them all combined together at once. I'll be using a mechanic where you switch between two characters that are in a different place in the level (one is slow and can't move very well and the other will be more agile the slow character will be sort of like Wario in Wario Land 2 and the agile character will be close to most average characters in platforming games). I also want to have levels switch between a top down mode and a side scrolling mode like blaster master or Zelda II (don't worry about the top down areas I have those done already and I'll rework them to fit the themes of each level). It will center around collecting items, so secret bonus rooms will be carry a decent part of it. I also want to have some sort of combat system that doesn't copy games like Mario, Contra, or Batman on the NES. It might switch up based on the way the level is being viewed.
10/17/2020 7:35 pm
garlicbreathinator
Maybe a mage tower with vertical platforming, magical enemies, and stuff like scrolling around the walls?
Requires a bit of a stretch effect for perspective, but see how it goes
Kinda like the tower level from Micky Mania (Genesis) but not necessarily the same thing. Some sections could wrap 460 degrees, others could be flat. Some could have magical clouds and wall-wrapping, making navigating a bit more interesting. There could be magically-disguised secrets or tricky optional challenges on the outside of the tower you could try. But if you fall from up there, there are no platforms to catch you until the next balcony.
10/17/2020 7:39 pmhistory
justamedomz
I was planning for vertical, levels too not just horizontal. it sounds like a cool idea and it won't be very difficult either go for it if you want
10/17/2020 8:09 pm
garlicbreathinator
I might sketch out a concept some time the next couple days if I don't have anything to do. It would just be a basic tile map/tile image of the level, with marks for enemies, particle clouds, collectables, and other objects. If I could get an idea what kind of features your engine has (enemies, moving platforms, swinging platforms, warp doors, sloped tiles, etc) I could better build an environment that takes advantage of them.
10/17/2020 8:11 pm
justamedomz
that's fine, that's exactly what I did to get the stuff I have right now I have about 6 of the scrolling levels done
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome