[Petition] Bring Back the Downvote

tyman231's Avatar tyman23111/10/11 8:16 pm
12/3/2011 12:53 pm
Antiqua's Avatar Antiqua
So, I see the downvote button has been removed and replaced with "Diamonds"
Honestly, I do not like this idea. The downvote button is used if stuff is not good. People will complain about their stuff being downvoted, but if you make quality submissions, chances are, most of it wont be downvotes, and instead, upvotes,

So, I am creating a petition to being back the downvote button. If you agree, comment saying so, and I'll add your name to the list. Thanks.

List:
Tyman231
Princess Elemix
Borisr55
Bonnefoy
Deadrat
sebsebsebh
pachesthedog
Conquer
TheZestyLemon
craftykids
mrtopsyt
Z3NITH
s15c
Safety Moose
HawkLight
Terzaerian
justinsells76
midevele1
ML32
[PROTOTYPE]
fadelassaad
julianf007
RockTom
Excision
xJesterJoex
tyman231
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/03/2011 12:53 pm
Level 28 : Expert Elf
Antiqua
ConquerNaa take me off the list i decided that it's heaps better without all the troll downvotes.

We're not getting it back, why necro this?
11/12/2011 12:06 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Crafter
mochabean
I know why it's gone. People make stuff that they frankly put no effort into and they cry when they get downvotes. I think it should return. Downvoting isn't an insult. I agree with Borisr. It's more constructive criticism than everything. Of course there's people who abuse it. But there are more people who don't.
11/12/2011 11:34 am
Level 43 : Master Fox
Fokkusu
Cynically, its better that its gone.
No one can cry about down votes now, you can report the post as well. If you don't like it, you don't have to thumbs it up.

Just move on, considering it was one feature that did nothing to help yourself. (For you self centre'd morons out there)

Cba to argue. /End
11/12/2011 11:57 am
Level 36 : Artisan Architect
Doomgekkie
I couldn't have said it better.
11/12/2011 11:27 am
Level 22 : Expert Toast
kidk91
Do we really need the downvote back? i mean, come on. the downvote lets people who got pissed off by someone else rage on their work, even if it is good. It also could lower self-esteem and possably make someone's day that much worse. If you don't like it, then don't mess with it. comment some constructive critisism in case it really is that bad. The people who operate this site took it for a reason. i reckon there is some sence behind it. If they put it back, they will on their own accord. just give this new idea a chance.
11/12/2011 11:14 am
Level 46 : Master Ninja
Anthrophobic
Why do we need a downvote? If you don't like it don't favorite, comment or upvote it.
11/12/2011 11:19 am
Level 37 : Artisan Goblin
necrontyr
Exactly
11/12/2011 11:13 am
Level 37 : Artisan Goblin
necrontyr
halucidThe funny thing is that half of the people who's signed the petition ARE known trolls, and are likely the very trolls who've been abusing downvoting this whole time. Having their names on that list does nothing for the integrity of this protest.

speaking sense hal.
11/11/2011 9:38 pm
Level 78 : Legendary Unicorn
Block_Fortress
I do not think you guys understand WHY it has gone. It has been taken away BECAUSE of it's abuse.

I hate to use myself as an example. But over my latest 3 submissions I got over 30 downvotes. The thing was 18 of then occurred within a minute. (If that is not screaming troll then I will put you in the 'idiot' bin with that "safetycowhead" or whatever his name is character who thinks it's funny to call half of PMC hippies). That wasn't the first time. It has happened 3 more times before hand. This time was the most extreme.

I can live with downvotes, but 90% of them now-a-days are by trolls. And that's why it had to go.
11/11/2011 9:14 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
LotsaBahts
Sion
Roxthesox
SionNo! We JUST got rid of the damned thing. AT LEAST GIVE IT A WEEK, CRETIN!

You're just saying this because you're a "master modder" Well, i'm a level two skinner, and as you can see on my profile, ALL of my skins have got downvotes.. It didn't start out that way, no. I did something to piss someone off and they decided to down vote all of my stuff. A few other people must've seen my post ranting about it and decided to help the guy out. DO NOT bring back the down vote.

Cretin? Jesus Sion you rage really easily.

But closer to the topic, I think the banishment of the down vote is good. It'll shut up all those who were whining for it being removed. I really had no problem with it, it never swayed my opinion on downloading a skin or texture pack.

Cretin means moron, i do rage easily, but i'm in a slightly bad mood today, i just need to listen to some music to strengthen my nerves so that i don't involuntarily start a flamewar.

If you go around calling people names then don't expect them to like you or your work... if you get a downvote, thats life...it just peoples opinion's man!...who cares about that! I guarantee they don't give a crap about your opinion!
11/11/2011 6:21 pm
Level 23 : Expert Architect
chrounos
i think it was a bad thing to take away the down vote becuase that means if someone doesnt like a project they are more likely to post a rant about how bad it is thus causing the person to fell worse then just seeing a arrow pointing down
11/11/2011 6:30 pm
Level 44 : Master Scribe
Happybandaid
True, except most trolls/people in general are just too lazy/don't care enough to do that. I've never seen it happen. o.o
11/11/2011 6:15 pm
Level 44 : Master Scribe
Happybandaid
You guys have said some really good stuff on here, and I'm pretty proud. There's been no all-out flamewar here, and I think even the sides have been sort of broken down...now there are even more people who, instead of trying to blindly support "their side", are in fact simply working together to bring up suggestions and ideas to help the system and everyone as a whole.

This is great, keep it up guys! Intelligent, helpful discussion for the win.

PMC is a community. I think what we all want is the best for that community, for all of us, and not simply to get our way. Thanks to everybody who's been participating in this discussion thus far.
11/11/2011 4:42 pm
Level 28 : Expert Elf
Antiqua
tyman231
Antiqua
LycandarThose with higher levels and many subscribers (95) it wont matter too as you'll get way more up-votes that down-votes don't ever make an impact. But for us who just scrape enough up-votes to get onto the popular reel suffer from just 1 down-vote and that skin never sees the popular reel again and is lost. We get hit hard by the people who abuse the down-vote.

I was a level 1 once too, believe it or not. I took those downvotes like a man, and progressed into my current level.

You were level one when there weren't that many people on here, especially trolls. So you can't say you took it like a man. Because that is unfair to the other people who do have good builds/skins and have people downvote them out of pure spite.
11/11/2011 4:28 pm
Level 24 : Expert Artist
joshrulz98
Hmm... yeah, I like the diamonds idea, but there are so many things that i wish I could download... because the're so bad and unnecessary. Count me in on the list.
11/11/2011 3:50 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Grump
Pykes
Terzaerian
Pykes
If you feel so strongly about having it this way, then why not just stick with diamonds? If downvotes are just a form of criticism that nobody is going to pay attention to why bother even having it. Also not every bad work needs a full in-depth criticism. Sometimes "This idea has been done a million times." Is all someone needs to say for a person to realize why they are fucking up.
Honestly having an empty downvote just sounds like a lazy way of not having to go through the effort of actually explaining what you don't like, and the downvote has a bigger purpose than that. Perhaps this is a problem too complex for a simple up and down system.

Why do you insist so strongly on having a weapon to damage other people's reputations? People are going to do that well enough on their own. Watering it down with a three-fifths compromise is a half-measure that doesn't solve the problems related to linking popularity statistics to the upvote and the downvote.

Downvotes shouldn't be a weapon, but they should be there.

I'm not saying it should be a weapon. I'm saying that there needs to be a balance of good and bad. Having only upvotes count turns upvotes into an unquestionable, and unstoppable force. That's why downvotes existed in the first place.
11/11/2011 3:49 pm
Level 47 : Master Pixel Painter
Raxos
I stopped caring about this 30 minutes ago, I suggest you do the same and leave it to the mods, Terzaerian.
11/11/2011 3:37 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Necromancer
Terzaerian
Pykes
If you feel so strongly about having it this way, then why not just stick with diamonds? If downvotes are just a form of criticism that nobody is going to pay attention to why bother even having it. Also not every bad work needs a full in-depth criticism. Sometimes "This idea has been done a million times." Is all someone needs to say for a person to realize why they are fucking up.
Honestly having an empty downvote just sounds like a lazy way of not having to go through the effort of actually explaining what you don't like, and the downvote has a bigger purpose than that. Perhaps this is a problem too complex for a simple up and down system.

Why do you insist so strongly on having a weapon to damage other people's reputations? People are going to do that well enough on their own. Watering it down with a three-fifths compromise is a half-measure that doesn't solve the problems related to linking popularity statistics to the upvote and the downvote.

Downvotes shouldn't be a weapon, but they should be there. Whats meaningless is the current system, which suppresses ALL dissent.
11/11/2011 3:30 pm
Pykes
Terzaerian
Pykes All it would say is downvote.

Which is all it needs to say. Some work is so bad that it doesn't merit an in-depth criticism, and even if you were to write one it would likely be erased. Downvotes that have no popularity effect allow that without damaging a person's reputation; which, if they're bad, they're going to do perfectly well to ruin on their own.

11/11/2011 3:14 pm
Terzaerian
Pykes All it would say is downvote.

Which is all it needs to say. Some work is so bad that it doesn't merit an in-depth criticism, and even if you were to write one it would likely be erased. Downvotes that have no popularity effect allow that without damaging a person's reputation; which, if they're bad, they're going to do perfectly well to ruin on their own.
11/11/2011 3:10 pm
Raxos
11/11/2011 3:04 pm
Raxos
Alright, Let us settle this once and for all, TWO petitions.
You know the rest...
Here it goes.
11/11/2011 3:02 pm
Pykes
Terzaerian
Pykes
Terzaerian
People should be free to build reputations on merit, not on statistics. Downvotes that are interfering in that can, as we have seen, be abused. Unhooking them from that metric removes the incentive to abuse while still insuring people have a voice.

At the same time though if downvotes aren't doing anything other than being visible, it's exactly the same as not having downvotes at all. Figure if it took 3 downvotes to counteract an upvote. Trolling someone's work would do pretty much nothing, but crappy work can still be downvoted, it just takes a couple more people.

That's only going to encourage the problem of puppet voting. If your aim is to critique work you should be using the downvote sheerly as a way to express your displeasure, not as a weapon to insure it never sees the light of day.

It is also a compromise that addresses the issue many have with the downvote while still allowing for its existence, and which also removes all incentive people would have to abuse it. Like it or not, compromise is simply a part of living in a complex society. I am willing to compromise with other authors on this matter, but I am not willing to get rid of the downvote completely, and if you like the downvote, you should too.

I see where you're coming from, and I agree that the voting SHOULD be used as a way of critiquing someones work, but this is not a perfect world, and a lot of people see it as a tool to get what they want. Also the puppet account issue is something that would take much more work to prevent, and sadly the voting system will always be affected by it no matter what system we implement. I feel the way I approached this problem is a very solid compromise. Downvotes still have an influence, just not as much. The whole point of a downvoting exist is to have a way of saying "This crappy work doesn't deserve the upvotes." Any useful criticism should be put in the comments because thats the only way a person can improve their work, by being told whats wrong. Getting a downvote doesn't tell you whats wrong, or how you can improve it. All it would say is downvote.
11/11/2011 3:00 pm
Level 28 : Expert Dragonborn
xJesterJoex
Count me in
11/11/2011 2:58 pm
Raxos
You guys want me to start another petition?
This thread is NOT a petition, I don't know what that guy was thinking calling it that
11/11/2011 3:07 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Mage
Lycandar
It started as a petition but i agree with you in that this has become more about discussing the pros and cons of the new system/down-voting generally and trying to come up with a solution that everyone is reasonably happy with.

Having a petition to bring it back to the other extreme won't solve any of the underlying problems, but people discussing it and throwing out good ideas will.

It wasn't a petition that had it removed, as if you remember this was brought about by a large list of complaints,blog,forum topics etc discussing the problem. It just happened to get changed on a day that a petition was made
11/11/2011 2:57 pm
Raxos
I still stick by the idea of votes not having any value, only downloads.
11/11/2011 2:56 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Mage
Lycandar
Terzaerian
Pykes
Either way would work pretty nicely, but personally I don't think downvotes should be just for show.

It wouldn't be just for show. The downvotes would still show up, and we would still have the choice to do it, doing so just wouldn't damage people's standing.

People should be free to build reputations on merit, not on statistics. Downvotes that are interfering in that can, as we have seen, be abused. Unhooking them from that metric removes the incentive to abuse while still insuring people have a voice.

It is true that a lot of the problem was the power that a down-vote had being misused.

The down-votes would show up, but they wouldn't really mean anything as if i went onto a skin and saw that it was very badly made, i wouldn't need the fact that there was ten down-votes to tell me otherwise as everyone can make a decision for themselves as to whether they like it or not. Down-votes having no power would make them redundant except in the sense that the person who made the skin would be the only one it matters to.

But then your back to the problem of good skinners getting these down-votes with no indication why they got it, so it returns to anonymous down-voting again. Just without the negative effects.

One of the reasons it was removed was because alot of the people who made skins/texture packs/projects etc were just getting voted down but with no comment explaining why. It would work against fostering feedback. Even if the author hates the feedback as i've seen on a couple of skins, they are still well in their right to remove the comment. It doesn't affect them or the person who made it, and the author could lose out on improving since he was of a different opinion.

The only stage i could see down-votes being a factor is when you look at the small preview of a skin before you click into the full page, but even then people make up their minds whether or not to give it a look.
11/11/2011 2:55 pm
Terzaerian
Pykes

At the same time though if downvotes aren't doing anything other than being visible, it's exactly the same as not having downvotes at all. Figure if it took 3 downvotes to counteract an upvote. Trolling someone's work would do pretty much nothing, but crappy work can still be downvoted, it just takes a couple more people.[/quote]
That's only going to encourage the problem of puppet voting. If your aim is to critique work you should be using the downvote sheerly as a way to express your displeasure, not as a weapon to insure it never sees the light of day.

It is also a compromise that addresses the issue many have with the downvote while still allowing for its existence, and which also removes all incentive people would have to abuse it. Like it or not, compromise is simply a part of living in a complex society. I am willing to compromise with other authors on this matter, but I am not willing to get rid of the downvote completely, and if you like the downvote, you should too.
11/11/2011 2:54 pm
Level 90 : Overlord Pixel Painter
halucid
TerzaerianThank you for admitting that serious problems existed outside of downvoting. The puppet account issue strikes me as far, far more serious, especially seeing as abuse of it is going to be just as pernicious in the new system as in the old system.

I'm sure we share a lot of views regarding our community's politics. I never wanted to see downvotes go entirely either, but the system obviously could not stay as it was. Even I, too, have suggested the idea of having upvotes and downvotes not affect the popularity metric. It didn't turn out to be a popular idea. In fact, I even thought up an idea that gave people incentive for using the Up/Downvote system as it was intended (which I'll share with you, if you'd like), but Cyprezz wasn't as enthused about the idea as some. I fought for the downvote, like you... but in the end, there's no real way to make downvoting trollproof.

You may hate the change, but the community will live on. I'm sure you'll come to see for yourself, the removal of the feature really won't change a thing, save the reduction of troll victims. Give it some time.

I'll admit to there being a lot of issues that need to be addressed, and I'm certain Cyprezz would too. No one is saying PMC has the perfect system for everything. The only real problem with every system Cyprezz has implemented is trolls. Trolls will always be trolls, in the exact same respect as children will be children. This is human nature. I don't expect Cyprezz to childproof all aspects of PMC.

We agree that Puppet Accounts are a problem. We all do. We simply must not forget that Puppet Accounts and Downvote Abuse are 2 entirely separate problems. Combating Puppet Accounts by downvoting their submissions is not what the Up/Downvote system was intended for.
11/11/2011 2:50 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Finhiisi
I dont like the downvote. I like the diamond system more. For example, some people used downvote shamelessly to troll and annoy. While most of PMC users are the good guys, there are some "bad eggs" lying around.

And what, is it going to ruin Your day (those who like to get downvote back..) to see the work You dont like, on the front page?

Well, if downvote is coming back, there should be a system so You must give some reason to downvote, like, what is it there You dont like etc.... Now, I know this suggestion may get some, or much negative feedback (perhaps..) but thats my suggestion IF their going to bring back downvoting.

SO, no, I dont like downvote, so it is good that they got rid of it. :]
11/11/2011 2:49 pm
Pykes
Terzaerian
Pykes
Either way would work pretty nicely, but personally I don't think downvotes should be just for show.

It wouldn't be just for show. The downvotes would still show up, and we would still have the choice to do it, doing so just wouldn't damage people's standing.

At the same time though if downvotes aren't doing anything other than being visible, it's exactly the same as not having downvotes at all. Figure if it took 3 downvotes to counteract an upvote. Trolling someone's work would do pretty much nothing, but crappy work can still be downvoted, it just takes a couple more people.
11/11/2011 2:41 pm
Terzaerian
Pykes

11/11/2011 2:39 pm
Raxos
Terzaerian
Pykes
So here's what I'm thinking. Why not just make 1 upvote as powerful as 2 or 3 downvotes.

Better yet, bring back downvotes but let them have no effect on the popularity metric at all. That gives us the option to say "I don't like this" in a way that the author can't simply erase without giving trolls a tool to use to knock down people they don't like.

This is the simplest solution to the problem, and the smartest.
I stick by that completely, thank you Terzaerian, you are right.
I will try to contact Cyprezz immediately!
11/11/2011 2:38 pm
Raxos
It does, people want it back because they see a crap skin and want to downvote it for it's authors lack of work and enthusiasm, it happens to me too, everytime I see another honeydew.
But it does adress the situation of cyber-bullying, and if it's the best we can do now to stop trolling, I'd say Cyprezz will stick by that.
11/11/2011 2:38 pm
Pykes
Terzaerian
Pykes
So here's what I'm thinking. Why not just make 1 upvote as powerful as 2 or 3 downvotes.

Better yet, bring back downvotes but let them have no effect on the popularity metric at all. That gives us the option to say "I don't like this" in a way that the author can't simply erase without giving trolls a tool to use to knock down people they don't like.

11/11/2011 2:37 pm
Terzaerian
Pykes

11/11/2011 2:35 pm
Pykes
We're still on this discussion. Let me put in my two cents then because as far as I'm concerned, downvotes were not the problem. The problem was how much of an effect a single downvote could cause.

Those who say that downvotes are important have a damn good point. Work that is crappy, but legitimately made can't be reported. That's where downvotes come into play and make sure the shitfest never sees the light of day.

Then there's those who are glad the downvotes are gone, I think you also have a good reason for feeling that way. You might be a newcomer who spent a while making something really cool, and eventually to your amazment you get on the popular reel. Seems like life finally has purpose... then it happens. Someone downvotes it not because its a bad submission, but because they want their competition out of the way, so that their garbage can get on the popular reel.

11/11/2011 2:22 pm
Raxos
Am I dealing with idiots here? (Don't take this personally please.)
Consider what you are saying, "Trolls would leave hate comments"
Now I'm gonna do a little comparison story:
First a SPAMer goes onto a skin, it's a good skin, made by halucid for example.
He downvotes it, although it's really good, then goes onto the comments and writes: "fkjngfdskjngkjdsgn" or "my dead granny could do better."
Now comes the "Troll": Goes onto the skin, DOWNVOTES, and goes onto the next one on the leaderboards, DOWNVOTES!
I could go on all day...
11/11/2011 2:27 pm
Terzaerian
Just because something can be abused isn't a good reason to ban it for everyone. It means better, smarter enforcement is needed against people who are abusing it.

Getting rid of the downvote is an extremist solution which doesn't address the real, underlying problems.
11/11/2011 2:12 pm
Raxos
If I have convinced the creator of this thread, please close it, otherwise I will make a blog explaining this, then we can talk.
11/11/2011 2:00 pm
Raxos
"People will complain about their stuff being downvoted, but if you make quality submissions, chances are, most of it wont be downvotes, and instead, upvotes. "

You totally missed my point.
I did not have the downvote removed because it was annoying...
Answer this one question: Do you think a troll/cyber-bully cares whether a submission is good or not?
Who looks at the amount of downvotes anyway when you clearly see the skin/picture and can tell instantly whether it sucks or not.
The removal of it has helped, and I see no clear reason to bring it back, the best reason I seen is "The downvote button is used if stuff is not good", This is not a good enough reason to bring back the only way of trolling submissions.
11/11/2011 2:04 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Ranger
niru768
My hero... *sniff*
11/11/2011 2:00 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Ranger
niru768
I don't think it sould come back, people randomly started down-voting my stuff.
I mean i wouldn't mind that much if people LEFT CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIZISM!!
Come on people, if you don't like it, state why in the comments, if you do like it, state why in the comments, that option is there for a reason you know! And if you like it alot, the upvote it. Quite bitchin' because you all can't troll random submissions, i mean, if your level 30-something and up, down votes didn't matter, but they have a big impact on the under 30's like me, and a hell of a lot of other GOOD skinners, that aren't known because of all the already known skinners that happened to get here before us!

-Rant over.
11/11/2011 3:10 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
Deadrat
Even if you get a downvote without criticism you still know someone didn't like it. That's enough for you to say "Ok, I should try something different" Or just say fuck it, who cares if I'm known? You should make skins because you like to. I'm sure most of the popular skinners don't give a damn about their level because overall, it's meaningless. Halucid said that when he first posted skins he got tons of downvotes and trolls. You know what he did? He dealt with it and kept posting because he loved doing it. Now look and what happened to him. He's level 62 (I think?) and a mod.
11/11/2011 2:03 pm
Raxos
Don't bother, noone understands this.
They think trolls only downvote crap submissions...
11/11/2011 1:57 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Dwarf
IBloodstormI
Up with Diamonds and Coal!

A solution that I think solves many problems.
11/11/2011 1:54 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Skinner
DusteroftheCentury
OK how about instead of adding the dowvote thing again, we add an option to classify a comment as a negative one before you post it. Negative comments could also be constructive critisism but they would not give xp like a normal comment. I got this idea from Lycandar.
11/11/2011 2:05 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Skinner
DusteroftheCentury
Why not this?!!!
11/11/2011 2:08 pm
Raxos
BECAUSE WE REMOVED THE DOWNVOTE BECAUSE OF TROLLS, AND THEY DO NOT GIVE "CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM"!
Sorry for the CAPS, I'm annoyed.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome