Can you provide feedback on my first website?

Phrontier's Avatar Phrontier9/20/13 4:47 pm
1 emeralds 1.9k 28
9/23/2013 10:34 pm
Phrontier's Avatar Phrontier
Hey guys, I'm currently coding my first website, and I feel I have enough done right now to share it with you.

Check it out:
http://www.howlingyeti.com

Any feedback is encouraged. Try to break the website if you want, as long as you let me know how you did so if you manage to succeed.

Please note, it's not 100% done, there's quite a bit of updating / refining to do.

Thanks,
Phrontier
Phrontier
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/23/2013 5:16 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
DrMedia
I am only 12, but I know quite a bit when it comes to coding and computing.. I suppose if you ever need help with any PHP, I would try and help you
09/23/2013 5:25 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Blacksmith
MCisland
Not quite sure why you would lie about your age, You have a very deep voice on youtube for being 12...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMUlm8JBtE0
09/23/2013 5:30 pm
DrMedia
Trust me, I'm 12. My voice broke when I was 11.
09/23/2013 4:12 am
Level 89 : Elite Birb
Cpt. Corn
Hmm... I'm trying quite hard to figure out how this site can be improved.

I will say that I like how the site's home page isn't cluttered, or that it at least gives some "elbow room" for the user. A lot of sites will bombard the user with too much information from the get-go.

Maybe what you can do, for the sake of reducing eye strain, is that you replace the white background on the sides of your webpage's display with blue Minecraft sky and/or landscape with snow flakes falling. The blue color should contrast better on the eyes as well as making your content in the center pop out more.

Adding on to what I'm saying, the information in the center, if I may add, may also be a bit too big. With ideal proportions, the sprites and information on the page should shrink until it most pleases the eye. So far, it's taking a little too much space for my liking, and it even encourages me to scroll down even when there's nothing there to scroll down for... so maybe a little buffer of space towards the bottom might be necessary to let the user know that there isn't anything to scroll down for.

I think that should work, at least for the home page. Keep up the good work. ;P
09/23/2013 5:13 pm
Phrontier
Thanks!

I understand what you're saying, but I want to really learn some PHP and JavaScript before I edit the site too much. I have some other plans for it and I'm actually pretty new to HTML coding. About the compact-ness, I actually thought the site was pretty small and didn't take up much space. Bootstrap is designed to be responsive to browser sizes, so I'll have to check out what it looks like in smaller windows and edit accordingly. Thanks for the tips.
09/23/2013 3:30 am
Level 26 : Expert Ninja
poplawler
I prefer to use enjin, check out my website www.crafters-retreat.com
09/23/2013 3:20 am
Spectralxp
could u tell me where u got domain host from and could i get the template of day design
09/23/2013 3:10 am
Spectralxp
will u make me 1 like dat i will pay add me on skype spectralxp
09/23/2013 2:29 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
RedSpresso
amazing
09/23/2013 2:25 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
sycoinc
Very good for your 1st site, seems you have your head around bootstrap basics and everything very well... also the design is clean and smooth
09/23/2013 2:02 am
DrMedia
Phrontier
DrMediaHey bud, nice work.. I use bootstrap a lot, too. The only things is, you're using the base bootstrap.. The base bootstrap isn't appealing, and doesn't function that well.. I am currently working on a Clan CMS (Like Enjin) and I use bootstrap for the base site and themes, thing is though, you can't tell I have used it due to the fact that its completely customised. Think about expanding bootstrap, and playing around with it a bit more. I also suggest using parallax scrolling to jazz up your site Good luck!

-DrMedia

Yeah, this is mainly to get me familiar with the documentation, but thanks! Would you mind sharing your website sometime just so I can check it out?

On parallax scrolling, it really cool, and it can make a world of difference if done right, but I'm not sure how it's done currently. I'll look up some examples, check out source code and see if I can replicate effects.

DrMediaOh, I suggest using htaccess to create clean urls.

I'll check that out, I'm pretty new to this, thanks for all the tips!

Unfortunately, my website is hosted on my local server. When I publish it, I will send you a link to get some ideas
09/22/2013 7:29 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
Contacted you under a Private Message. Hope to get a reply.
09/22/2013 7:19 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
In each one of your folders, create a index.html and place in

<html>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="1; url=http://www.howlingyeti.com/">
<center>
<h1>403 Forbidden</h1>
<p>You will be sent back to the main page</p>
</center>
</html>
09/22/2013 5:56 pm
Level 22 : Expert Dragonborn
JWMAN
Wow! I'm thoroughly impressed. What programs did you use? Good ol' notepad? Also, what all does bootstrap do for you? Is it used for the phone style sheet? I have made a website for my church, thoroughly from scratch using Dreamweaver CS5.5. It's a good program. Although it probably doesn't look as good as your website! By the way, nothing too big, but on the mobile version, the footer hides the text on the page. You can easily fix this by using the margin-top class, though. Anyway, great job!
09/23/2013 10:34 pm
Phrontier
I use Sublime Text as my editor, it's pretty neat, and available for free. Bootstrap is a responsive framework, meaning that I can code just one website and it will automatically shift to fit any size browser. I've noticed the footer on the mobile version as well, haven't gotten around to fixing that lol, thanks for the info though. Thanks again for the feedback! I'd love to see your website as well.
09/22/2013 5:44 pm
DrMedia
Oh, I suggest using htaccess to create clean urls.
09/22/2013 2:59 am
DrMedia
Hey bud, nice work.. I use bootstrap a lot, too. The only things is, you're using the base bootstrap.. The base bootstrap isn't appealing, and doesn't function that well.. I am currently working on a Clan CMS (Like Enjin) and I use bootstrap for the base site and themes, thing is though, you can't tell I have used it due to the fact that its completely customised. Think about expanding bootstrap, and playing around with it a bit more. I also suggest using parallax scrolling to jazz up your site Good luck!

-DrMedia
09/22/2013 7:08 pm
Phrontier
Yeah, this is mainly to get me familiar with the documentation, but thanks! Would you mind sharing your website sometime just so I can check it out?

On parallax scrolling, it really cool, and it can make a world of difference if done right, but I'm not sure how it's done currently. I'll look up some examples, check out source code and see if I can replicate effects.

DrMediaOh, I suggest using htaccess to create clean urls.

I'll check that out, I'm pretty new to this, thanks for all the tips!
09/22/2013 2:38 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Cricketsgochirp
looks really good
09/22/2013 2:32 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Architect
creature13579
I found a really, really big problem: you put an apostrophe in yetis. D:
OCD .-.
09/22/2013 5:36 pm
Phrontier
Haha, I'll fix that immediately, just for you (;
09/22/2013 2:29 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Modder
KMCD00
Contact Me On Skype.

I am a coder myself and I can really help your server.

I Know:
Java
PHP
HTML
CSS
HTML5
CSS3
JavaScript
More.

I can provide testing on iPhone 5, iPod 4th Gen, iPod 5th Gen and iPhone 4. iPad Testing Coming Soon.

There are two. I am the one from KenLand USA
09/22/2013 2:04 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
d37asdn43u
Looks good - it has a lot of potential! The look and feel of the site reminds me a lot of another Minecraft server site: the Overcast Network. Some ideas:
- Add a favicon to your <head> section
- You could add a bit more info about the server/gameplay (how it works) and the maps (so people will see what makes your server different from others)
Hm... Can't think of any others
09/20/2013 5:22 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Programmer
DarkEyeDragon
Where is it hosted? on your pc or a webserver?
09/20/2013 5:28 pm
Phrontier
I have a webserver with GoDaddy. Their online support is very slow, but the hosting is good and dirt cheap.
09/20/2013 5:08 pm
Level 20 : Expert Architect
tomtheebomb
Looks awesome dude I could never code this good if I even tried.
09/20/2013 5:00 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Narwhal
bethenna
It's cool! Did you use some kind of website to code it or something?
09/20/2013 5:12 pm
Phrontier
Thanks!

I used the bootstrap framework for it, but it's all coded by me.

Check out bootstrap if you're interested: http://getbootstrap.com/
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome