Contest skins qualification

My5t3ri0u5 R3tr0Boi's Avatar My5t3ri0u5 R3tr0Boi6/12/19 5:07 pm
2 emeralds 256 5
6/15/2019 9:11 pm
Cyprezz's Avatar Cyprezz
I can't be the only one who goes into Planet Minecraft sponsored skin Contests and feel excited for what people may come up with for a contest's subject. But then I find skins that don't really belong in a contest due to not even lining up in the subject of the contest in the first place. Does anyone else share this same frustration?
My5t3ri0u5 R3tr0Boi
Level 1 : New Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/13/2019 3:54 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg
Cyprezz
Judges periodically DQ entries as well as review after the contest entry period ends. As of right now, we've DQ'd 69 entries from the current Scrapyard contest. If an entry doesn't line up with the theme in anyway, they are eventually DQ'd.

ScotsMiser definitely hits on several reasons why some entries are allowed even though the my not fit the theme exactly as we intended it to be interpreted. While we intended for Scrapyard Creations to be literally creations made out different parts found in the scrapyard, some participants are simply entering creations that could be reasonably found in the scrapyard such as workers or scrappy robots / characters. It's clear they had no ill intentions but simply interpreted the theme their own way. All good, in my opinion.

Official creative contests are meant to be fun above all else and it's nice to allow freedom to interpret the themes.
06/15/2019 2:06 pm
My5t3ri0u5 R3tr0Boi
Thanks for commenting Cyprezz. I hope I didn't come off as rude, I just needed to get this off my chest.
06/15/2019 9:11 pmhistory
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg
Cyprezz
No worries. I didn't think it was rude. You're just saying what anyone would feel when paying close enough attention to the entries that come and go.
06/13/2019 7:35 am
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Not speaking to this site's competitions (which which I have too little experience to hold a meaningful opinion), but…

This issue is limited neither to this site, nor to graphics competitions.
There are reasons why apparently unqualified entries may be present in contest:

The persons running contests often wish to avoid being too restrictive in defining the contest, both to avoid limiting creativity and to encourage a reasonable number of entries.
While entering a watercolor in an oil painting contest would obviously be outside the rules both would be valid entires in a contest described only as 'painting'.
When the diverse nature of entrants is included, that some may interpret what is called for in ways quite divergent from both what the organizers intended and the other contestants understood becomes more likely.
[Quite a few years ago, I had occassion to enter a graphics contest where the only description of requirements beyond size and file format was "The theme is 'Symmetry' ". Mine was the sole entry based on radial (rather than mirror) symmetry.]

Another factor (particularly in situations where entrants have a very wide range of skills) is that entries may exist that – while appearingto be irrelevant to the theme (or two-minute crap-slappers) are actually honest heart-&-soul pieces by entrants new enough to the field to be unable to properly convey what they had envisioned.
[Anyone who has ever needed to gently probe to determine the intended subject of a youngster's art work will be familiar with this. ]
06/13/2019 3:04 pm
My5t3ri0u5 R3tr0Boi
Those are extremely valid points, it still ticks me off though.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome