A few questions about coding

samfinity's Avatar samfinity8/24/14 8:08 pm
8/24/2014 9:14 pm
Spud2451's Avatar Spud2451
1. I'm looking to learn to code games not mods, what language should I learn first?

2. I've started learning to code python, should I continue with that? Or stop completely and learn something else?

3. Is there any coders that I could add on skype to ask about anything I don't understand, or something like that?

If you think I should learn a different language, I'd like it if you could link me to a site where I could learn it. Thanks
samfinity
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/24/2014 9:14 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Architect
Spud2451
I actually do quite a bit of coding in python, and have even released a commercial game in it. If you have any questions just pm me and I'll skype with you.
08/24/2014 8:59 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Toast
WillyWonka125
Stick with Python. It's a good language to start with, and although it's not the best to make games with, it'll teach you the fundamental mechanics of how programming really works. Once you feel comfortable with writing code, regardless of what language you choose, you can start to expand into other languages.
08/24/2014 9:03 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Xero -
Python is a "2 step" based language, when most languages are bracket. (Sorry, I forget the actual terms for these types of languages). So that considered, it's not really the "best" language to start with unless you want to head into lightweight scripting in the future. I do agree that it's not the best to make a game with. That would be like using JavaScript to handle CSS, although it works, it's not the best option.
08/24/2014 9:08 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Toast
WillyWonka125
You could really start with any language, I guess it just depends on what background knowledge you've obtained over time. And since he's already started learning, he'll be a step ahead
08/24/2014 8:55 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Modder
OfficiallyPolarFluid
Java, not JavaScript
08/24/2014 8:50 pm
Xero -
Thanks, but read this. Although your story doesn't correlate with "Minecraft" specifically, you should still take a look at it.

post3188489.html
08/24/2014 8:47 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
samfinity
Thanks everyone, for your quick replys, I think I'm going to finish the "book" I'm reading on python, than move onto something like c++ or Java
08/24/2014 8:37 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
Fangs1000
I think you should go for C#, its a EXTREMELY powerful language and once you master that, move on to things like Python, Javascript, and whatnot
08/24/2014 8:45 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
Python and Javascript are downgrades compared to the power of languages like C#. C# is also quite similar to Java, so learning one or the other will give you a good grasp of both
08/24/2014 8:58 pm
Xero -
Actually JavaScript has nothing to do with either of the two. JavaScript is just a ECMAScript standard language that is used for web-based projects for client processes. Although there is alternatives for server-side "JavaScript" called NodeJS. But this has nothing to do with games.
08/24/2014 8:20 pm
Level 40 : Master Nerd
Rawstrus
Python is a great language, work on that!
08/24/2014 8:18 pm
Level 21 : Expert Artist
Retro_Pixel
Hey if you get into 2D retro style games I'd love to help make textures for it. You can give me a PM or Skype message me at retro.alpha for more information & such.
08/24/2014 8:16 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
samfinity1. I'm looking to learn to code games not mods, what language should I learn first?

It all depends on the type of game you wish to create, whether you want to use a game engine or start from scratch. The main 3 used for game development at the moment are C#, Java and C++, though WebGL/HTML5 games are starting to become more popular (Javascript).

samfinity2. I've started learning to code python, should I continue with that? Or stop completely and learn something else?

Again, it all depends on what your aim is. Python isn't exactly a great language for game development (Pygame isn't bad but you can do better)

samfinity3. Is there any coders that I could add on skype to ask about anything I don't understand, or something like that?

I'm sure there are, though it can often be easier to use forums such as StackOverflow to find answers, or even just Googling. Programming isn't always easily explained

samfinityIf you think I should learn a different language, I'd like it if you could link me to a site where I could learn it. Thanks

http://www.google.com
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome