† GamersLife ProTip: Pets †

Aethroz's Avatar Aethroz3/17/14 1:39 pm
3/27/2014 2:31 pm
Aethroz's Avatar Aethroz
==Pets==

There are a lot of pets to choose from in the word, and I want you to choose the pet that is right for you. I have owned almost all of the “common” house-pets. I currently have 4 dogs, 2 snakes, 2 crested geckos and 2 leopard geckos. I have also had a parrot, doves, cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, and chipmunks. I have not dabbled in the “exotic” pets-unless you count reptiles as exotic. I’ll rank the pets Low, Medium, or High in 5 different categories. Species are listed in no particular order.As there are many different dog breeds, all the “Dog” sections will be averages.

--Dogs--
Large Breed (indoors)

Companionship: Med-High
Maintenance-Cleaning: Med
Maintenance-Care: Med
Upkeep Cost: Med
Life-Span: Med 9-13 years

Indoor Large Breed Dogs are one of my personal favorite pets. They tend to be kind, nurturing animals with lots of love for everybody. Perfect for a Family Pet. The companionship is ranked Med-High because they are loving pets, but it is hard to cuddle with a big dog while you’re watching TV. The cleaning includes vacuuming or sweeping, as big dogs=big hair. If you live in an apartment complex or something similar, you may be required to pick up after your dog outside (eww). The care of the dog is Med, not Low, because Dogs are very affected by their owner’s feelings. Angry human=Angry dog, but happy human=happy dog . Bathing dogs is also necessary and can become unpleasant. (Bathing Dogs Guide for your convenience.) Exercising dogs is 100% a must. Get your dog spayed/neutered.
Ideal Breed (Family)-German Shepard or Husky
Ideal Breed (Single or Couple) - Husky or Dalmatian

--Dogs--
Large Breed (outdoors)

Companionship: Low-Med
Maintenance-Cleaning: Low
Maintenance-Care: Low
Upkeep Cost: Low-Med
Life-Span: Med

I don’t believe dogs should be kept exclusively outdoors. Dogs are companion animals and need to be loved, not left outside. However, outside dogs are easier to maintain as they don’t shed in the house, and they don’t need to be bathed as often, as you aren’t forced to smell them. Get your dog spayed/neutered.
Ideal Breed-Any Short Hair

--Dogs--
Small Breed

Companionship: High
Maintenance-Cleaning: Med-High
Maintenance-Care: Med-High
Life-Span: High 15-17 years

Small Breed dogs will only be listed as Indoors.
Small Breed dogs are the best companions. They love to cuddle, play, and spend time with you. However, most small breed dogs are what I consider “fancy”. They require more brushing, baths, and more trips to the groomers. PROTIP: The difference between hair and fur is that Hair is always growing and increasing in length. Fur only grows to a certain length. Dogs with Hair have a much higher upkeep cost than dogs with fur. With Small breeds, the cost of food tends to be lower because they eat less (duh), but they need more grooming, so the costs average out. Small breeds tend to live longer (15-17 years). Get your dog spayed/neutered.

--Cats--

Companionship: Low-Med
Maintenance-Cleaning: High
Maintenance-Care: High
Life-Span: High 12-14 years

I have had a few cats in my life. They are nice to have around, chasing lasers, scaring mice, shooting rainbows and flying across the galaxy, all the typical cat stuff. But they don’t like to cuddle. Cats shed everywhere. Not just on the floor like dogs. Cats shed on everything. Plus you have to clean up their nasty (mega eww). Giving cats a bath is as bad as trying to give a cat a bath. Most cat breeds have a long life and can be very loyal pets, guarding your house from rodents and other pesky animals. Get your cat spayed/neutered.

--Guinea Pig/Hamster--

Companionship: Med
Maintenance-Cleaning: Med-Low
Life-Span: Low 2-4 years

Good pets for adolescent children. Teaches them the life cycle and responsibility. Most of the cost comes from the bedding, as food is pretty cheap. The bedding must be changed very often or it will begin to stahnk. Not stink. Stahnk. Nasty smell. They are mini cuddle buddies, but must be handled often so they don’t bite or run away when you hold them.

--“Common” Birds--
Dove, Pigeon

Companionship: Med
Life-Span: Med-High 5-25

Very similar to Hamsters, most of the cost comes from the replacing of bedding, but also treats. Birds love treats especially Millet Seed. Birds can become better companions, following you around or perching on/around you. Sadly, it is hard to cuddle a bird.

--Pet Birds--
Parrot, Canaries

Companionship: High to Med-High
Life-Span: High-Extreme 10-95

Typically, Larger the bird-Longer the life. Kakapo Parrots (common pet) are known to live for the extent of their owner’s life. They are smarter than the average bird, and form very tight very lasting bonds, though usually with only one or two people. They can be as loyal as dogs, but with a much larger vocabulary. Still hard to cuddle.

--Fish--

Companionship: Low
Maintenance-Cleaning: Med-High
Upkeep Cost: Med-High
Life-Span: Low-Med

I think fish are more decoration than Pet. You can’t cuddle fish. Or even touch on most occasions. Cleaning supplies are expensive. Tank decorations are expensive. If you must have a pet but have no time and don’t need physical contact, or any acknowledgement, get a fish.

--Snakes--

Companionship: Med-High
Maintenance-Cleaning: Med
Life-Span: Med-High 9-20 Years

Snakes are not slimy. They are smooth and warm and actually love to cuddle . The two most common breed of Pet snakes are Ball Python, and Corn Snake. Ball Pythons tend to be shorter(3-4 ft) but fatter. Corn Snakes are longer (6 ft) but remain pretty thin. All snakes(and all pets for that matter) require daily-semi daily handling. Maintenance is keeping them moist, and making sure their habitat fits their needs. Snakes love to cuddle. They will find a warm spot(belly, armpit, elbow) and curl up until they are toasty warm, and then they will explore as much as you let them. I recommend feeding your pet snake frozen mice/rats. They are cheaper, and will maintain the pets docility.
Notice on Frozen Mice/Rats, by BrettCarrie
Click to reveal
Just to point out that you should always defrost the rat/mouse before you feed it to the snake (although you still freeze them for storage). I know the OP probably already knows this, but didn't specify and I don't want any prospective snake owners to make their snake reject the food.

Another point, when you thaw it you shouldn't ever try to thaw it in boiling water. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight then warm it up gently in a bowl of warm water and lift it out using a pair of tweezers or tongs.

Most of all, pets require love. That may sound cliché and you may have just groaned in your head, but they do. Right now, go throw the ball for your dog, talk with your bird, and cuddle with your snake, because they will only love you as much as you love them.

Damn that is long. (1059 words if you were wondering)

View the First GamersLife, and see Links to all of them: GamersLife

Please comment with Likes/Dislikes/Criticism, *like* comment if you Like it, Subscribe if you Love it
What should I do next?? Let me know in the comments
Aethroz
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy