Global Warming

dalton12311's Avatar dalton1231112/14/13 9:58 pm
1 emeralds 1.5k 73
12/21/2013 11:40 am
pistonologist's Avatar pistonologist
Okay, so a lot of people flip out because of GLOBAL WARMING! And truthfully, anybody who thinks that its because of a "Greenhouse effect" is silly. "OH NO! THE NORTH AND SOUTH POLE ARE MELTING! THE WORLDS GOING TO FLOOD!" Well, while ice is melting, water is freezing. The reason someplaces are getting warmer is because of the tectonic plates moving. And while someplaces are getting warmer, what do you think others are doing? Getting colder! I want to know what you guys think!
dalton12311
Level 24 : Expert Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/21/2013 11:40 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Grump
pistonologist
its not gonna do anyhing 4 like a gazillion years soooooooooo yolo
12/21/2013 11:24 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
CaptainRavenAndre
It is not like it can be noticeable in just 1 year.It changes so slowly.

-Andre
12/21/2013 11:24 am
CaptainRavenAndre
It is not like it can be noticeable in just 1 year.It changes so slowly.

-Andre
12/21/2013 9:57 am
Level 23 : Expert Network
SoyMonkey
anyone who believes that global warming is real is a fool because it happens every year or so because of the rotation of the sun being slightly different every year hence why some places get colder than normal and some warmer than others
12/21/2013 10:09 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
I find hilarity in people that try and act smart, but just end up explaining something everyone else knew about (Seasons, like H-MAN said).
12/21/2013 9:59 am
Level 26 : Expert Cake
eccsdee
Thats called seasons... Not global warming... *facepalm*
12/21/2013 10:23 am
Level 43 : Master Ninja
Darkflame2050
Magicman88999
SoyMonkeyanyone who believes that global warming is real is a fool because it happens every year or so because of the rotation of the sun being slightly different every year hence why some places get colder than normal and some warmer than others

I find hilarity in people that try and act smart, but just end up explaining something everyone else knew about (Seasons, like H-MAN said).

XD
12/21/2013 9:55 am
Level 26 : Expert Cake
eccsdee
Darkflame2050
ScootzMCI will say this. Global Warming is real. For those who say: "it's a myth!" "It's Obama's Fault!" Or ridiculous crap like that, just make me mad. One of the reasons of Global Warming is the GreenHouse Effect. Another reason of Global Warming is, bam, Tectonic Plates Moving!

~Scootz

Join My site! http://www.Cylestiacraft.enjin.com

You took the words right out of my mouth...

Agreed.

The IPCC has said this in the first of the three reports it intends to release this year and next. Its attitude is unequivocal. The world is warming, sea levels are rising, ice caps are shrinking, there is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than at any time in the past 800,000 years, and even the most optimistic computer model shows more of the same in the near future. The IPCC says it is “95 per cent certain” – which is the same as saying that the odds are 19 to one that the science is right. Science is rarely surer of itself than this.
12/21/2013 9:52 am
Darkflame2050
ScootzMCI will say this. Global Warming is real. For those who say: "it's a myth!" "It's Obama's Fault!" Or ridiculous crap like that, just make me mad. One of the reasons of Global Warming is the GreenHouse Effect. Another reason of Global Warming is, bam, Tectonic Plates Moving!

~Scootz

Join My site! http://www.Cylestiacraft.enjin.com

You took the words right out of my mouth...
12/20/2013 9:25 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Toast
sigurd4
last year it was way colder than usual and it started snowing in the early november, but this year the winter have seemed rather warm and there is yet no snow. from what i can remember the temperature was slightly more stable before.
12/21/2013 10:35 am
Darkflame2050
Where I live, we used to get snow, and we haven't gotten any at all the last few years. :/
12/21/2013 11:26 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Blacksmith
NewBoss3234
Lol, in Seattle we just got a ton of snow, I had to walk a mile and a half because the school district I belong to didn't issue a cancel/delay.
12/20/2013 9:24 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Pirate
RevolutionalRedStone
ButtsauceSo, if I'm understanding it correctly, your beef with the global warming thing is not completely the concept itself, but rather how you believe it's used by politicians to spread propaganda

Yes, and as a basis to restrict rights.. Some also extort fuels.
12/20/2013 9:13 am
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Neptonic
The thing about Global Warming is that it doesn't just get hotter, it gets cooler too. The extremes are more extreme.
12/20/2013 8:32 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Engineer
HecticGamers
sualeosIt's a real issue, stupid conservatives think it's all a myth. It is because they are afraid that if we reduce our use of fossil fuels, they will not be able to drive cars, fly in planes or light or heat their homes. But all these things can be done using zero emission energy sources, such as solar, wind or nuclear power.

I don't think that nuclear power is a zero emission energy source...
12/20/2013 6:02 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Narwhal
Silver_Fern
Well alot of peeps think global warming is a lie... But there is kinda an explination...

The Earth is wrapped in a blanket of air - the atmosphere, which is made up of several layers of gases. The sun is hotter than the Earth and it gives off radiation that travel through the atmosphere and reach the Earth. The rays of the sun warm the Earth, and heat from the Earth then travels back into the atmosphere. The gases in the atmosphere stop some of the heat from escaping into space. These gases are called greenhouse gases and the natural process between the sun, the atmosphere and the Earth is called the 'Greenhouse Effect', because it works the same way as a greenhouse, it heats up the earth and melts the Ice.

Maybe not End of the world...
But true :3
12/20/2013 5:53 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Modder
Destian_
Don´t worry. Global Warming is norma befor it comes to the next ice age. Yes, there wasn´t just one. They come in a more or less regular period. The incoming ice age is already overdue.
12/20/2013 5:40 am
CaptainRavenAndre
Well techically speaking we are not close to the "World Ending" in this generation atleast, that the poles would melt wouldn't end our world. Yes the sea level would off course rise so houses so close to water would eventually sink, your beachhouse sinking probably won't end the world. Also the Green House Effect has nothing to do with the movement of earth. The Green House Effect is just like a wall around earth that keeps the suns warmth in here (Though a little goes out). So the Green House Effect is that wall will become stronger keeping more warmth in it. This would clearly cause more heat than before, the only way to stop it is to stop driving cars and building factories. Since the wall is strenthened by Coal Dioxide that comes from buring gas/petrol and other burning materials.

-Best Regards Andre 1 thing i am not english so i was not sure what the wall is named in english.
12/20/2013 5:26 am
Level 43 : Master Princess
Buttsauce
RevolutionalRedStoneToo much text to quote without creating an ugly-looking quote pyramid.

So, if I'm understanding it correctly, your beef with the global warming thing is not completely the concept itself, but rather how you believe it's used by politicians to spread propaganda, which leads to the limitation of our rights?
I... can't say I really understand the reasoning, to be honest. When it comes to politicians, last time I checked many of them were actually pretty close with the fossil fuel industry - the most recent example is definitely the way Putin used Gazprom to cement Ukraine's loyalty to Russia. Of course, it's neither surprising nor rare. In America, fuel lobby apparently donated gargantuan amounts of money to the Republicans. Another example, this time from your turf, would be Mr. Tony Abbott, who is a zealous denialist of global warming, which might have something to do with the fact that, according to the AEC, the Liberal Party received donations from five different mining companies and an oil magnate. Again, just a tip of the iceberg.

As Discworld's Samuel Vimes likes to say, "Find out where the money is and you've got it half solved." In this case, the money is definitely with the fossil fuel lobby. It's really not hard to see just who benefits from trying to convince people that global warming is not real, even if it is then it's obviously not our fault, and if it's not our fault then we should just keep exploiting natural resources at an ever-increasing rate.

...Wow, when did we move into the tinfoil hat teritory?

PS. My initial thought was that you were in medicine, biology, or some other bioexperiment-heavy field, and you tell me you have a diploma in chemistry. I was pretty close.
12/20/2013 4:12 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect
NLipcar
I think global warming is coming.

12/20/2013 4:04 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
I live in north Europe and there STILL isn`t snow like it was in the past years.
12/20/2013 3:18 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Dragonborn
pioavenger
IT'S TIME'S FAULT!
If time didnt move nothing would happen.
12/20/2013 8:41 am
CaptainRavenAndre
If time wouldn't exist we wouldn't be able to exist either.
12/21/2013 9:45 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Dragonborn
pioavenger
if we didn exist there wouldnt be a reason for time XD
12/20/2013 3:18 am
Level 36 : Artisan Network
Charlizard
*twitch* why would you even bring this up *twitch*

Try and keep this flame-baiting topic to a discussion level which, on the whole, has been done rather well so far. Let others have their opinions and if you wish to express your opinion as a fact, provide some citations.
12/20/2013 3:16 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
Whether it's real or not, nothing anyone says or does is going to change whether it happens or not.
All the hippies, treehuggers, and radical nature freaks can just stop because if in the end it does happen, not enough people will be willing to take action until it's too late.
12/20/2013 3:12 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Blacksmith
LeafDoesMinecraft
Yu dont really hear much about GW anymore
12/20/2013 3:09 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
Somebody explain to me why one of the options is "tectonic plates moving"?
that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the world is heating up
12/20/2013 2:59 am
RevolutionalRedStone
I've butchered up your post for sake of a speedy reply.

Buttsauce
Modern industry uses more fossil fuels.
Ancient frozen pockets of air prove Co2 levels are high.
NASA's temperature scans show the planet is warming.

I have never doubted those facts, what i did was state that such facts are used by non-scientific bodies to the benefit of political agendas.

Buttsauce
I consider the above research to be infinitely more believable than vague statements like "global warming is a lie invented by politicians!"

Belief is about status and authority. very different to knowledge which is about truth.
Also your summary of my post reads clear and distinct; vague is the wrong word.

Buttsauce
Why would unspecified individual people try to provide extensive research by large organizations to be false !

The question of motives is very easy, Simply listen to the answers which you give yourself after asking these question; what do political bodies have to gain by convincing me my rights are causing global warming ? ... What do random people on the internet have to gain by convincing me to continue my research before settling into this unnatural, illogical and deeply dumbed-down world view ?

ButtsauceUh, sorry if it doesn't make much sense. I don't really know how to discuss such things. *facepalm*

Actually as far as those arguing H.C.G.W you're very logical and polite.

I'm not saying the world isn't getting hotter, I'm not even saying the world isn't getting hotter because of us... however i do state that there is no evidence of these things and that they are instead pushed for manipulative reasons.

Thanks again, i don't have time for anecdotes but i first completed; Cert5 programming ECT then diploma in software dev, electronics and chemistry. currently working as a programmer for Molten Technologies on Interfacing cubic generators.
12/18/2013 5:11 am
Buttsauce
RevolutionalRedStone
ButtsauceOh, and just to make sure we don't get too off-topic here, could you also share your opinion on IPCC reports and EPICA dome data?

The IPCC is 'apparently a reactionary effort', perceived and appointed by politicians to act as an authoritative body of knowledge able to 'validate the danger' of the potential environmental threats projected by said politicians.

As for the dull-referenced Antarctic ice core measurements; remind us where their control data comes from? also against what are they comparing ? because we know the last few million years were undocumented and filled with ice-ages.

Since you obviously HAVE found and accepted various forms of 'evidence' in favor of human-caused climate change... please remind us all; exactly what logic you have based your proof upon?.... a continuous 'increase in Co2' ? that doesn't tell us anything unless we know exactly what would be happening here-now without us humans 'interfering'... not only do i doubt the existence of positive evidence for global warming... I've never even heard so much as a vague mention of evidence which if found EVEN COULD act as positive evidence, there is absolutely nothing scientific which has ever backed this most immature idea -

Exactly what evidence 'could prove G.W.' ? .. no answer ? Ahh you must be talking about some personal idea you just came up with based on illogical trash.

I'll not waste time indulging in talk of my education; but let me regurgitate something that i once learned. Alot of people on the internet are knowledge scientists who's views are worth considering.

Thanks again for your excellent questions,

Thanks for your reply! Um, actually I would really appreciate it if you decided to share your field and education background, for some of your statements are very puzzling to me.

For example, your mention of "control data" in regards to EPICA data. I am not a scientist so forgive me if I mix some things up, but aren't comparisons between control groups (I assume this is what you mean when you mention "control data") used in context of experiments, not data collection?

Regarding the rest of the post: ever since a progress of industrialization has ensured a steady exploitation of fossil fuel, our current carbon dioxide levels has been raising and are now at their highest since 800 000 years. That much is proven by data collected by paleoclimatologists, based on ice cores from Dome C and Vostok and measurments provided by Scripps Oceanographic Institute. NASA's scans of land surface temperature and sea temperature show that our planet is gradually heating up. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas, which prevents heat from being re-radiated back into the atmosphere. Now, is it really that illogical to assume that dramatically larger quantities of greenhouse gases emitted into our atmosphere are going to affect the temperature and lead to potentially dangerous situations, as described in IPCC reports? Perhaps. As I already mentioned I am no scientist (and for a good reason!), but I consider said research to be infinitely more believable than a vague statement like "global warming is a lie invented by politicians!" I find it somewhat hard to believe that NOAA, NASA, NSIDC, NRC, CRU, EPA and other such organizations, both international and region-specific, are not to be trusted because they're apparently doing nothing but spreading political propaganda, and yet unspecified individual people - who might or might not be actual scientists, but I will never know unless I learn where they had earned their degree, what kind of degree it was and where they work - can somehow provide extensive research that proves everything said organizations say be false. How do I know that these "knowledge scientists" you mention are not affiliated with organizations like, say, Heartland Institute?

Uh, sorry if it doesn't make much sense. I don't really know how to discuss such things. *facepalm*
12/17/2013 11:09 pm
RevolutionalRedStone
ButtsauceOh, and just to make sure we don't get too off-topic here, could you also share your opinion on IPCC reports and EPICA dome data?

The IPCC is 'apparently a reactionary effort', perceived and appointed by politicians to act as an authoritative body of knowledge able to 'validate the danger' of the potential environmental threats projected by said politicians.

As for the dull-referenced Antarctic ice core measurements; remind us where their control data comes from? also against what are they comparing ? because we know the last few million years were undocumented and filled with ice-ages.

Since you obviously HAVE found and accepted various forms of 'evidence' in favor of human-caused climate change... please remind us all; exactly what logic you have based your proof upon?.... a continuous 'increase in Co2' ? that doesn't tell us anything unless we know exactly what would be happening here-now without us humans 'interfering'... not only do i doubt the existence of positive evidence for global warming... I've never even heard so much as a vague mention of evidence which if found EVEN COULD act as positive evidence, there is absolutely nothing scientific which has ever backed this most immature idea -

Exactly what evidence 'could prove G.W.' ? .. no answer ? Ahh you must be talking about some personal idea you just came up with based on illogical trash.

I'll not waste time indulging in talk of my education; but let me regurgitate something that i once learned. Alot of people on the internet are knowledge scientists who's views are worth considering.

Thanks again for your excellent questions,
12/17/2013 3:49 am
Level 29 : Expert Network
Oni__
Global warming = What keeps us alive.

Global warming is essentially infra-red waves from the sun hitting the earth giving off heat and then being reflected back onto the earth ~50% of the time by the ozone. Is is a natural process. Don't get rid of it unless you want to die when the sun goes down.
12/17/2013 3:26 am
Buttsauce
RevolutionalRedStoneAs a scientist

If you don't mind me asking, in which field do you work? What is your alma mater?
I've never met a scientist online and I'm curious.

Oh, and just to make sure we don't get too off-topic here, could you also share your opinion on IPCC reports and EPICA dome data?
edit: dumb typo lol
12/17/2013 2:59 am
RevolutionalRedStone
As a scientist; i find it hard to accept in-disprovable claims based on long-term non-knowledge.

There is a possibility the human race could serious affect the atmosphere of this planet, however, There is no possibility that evidence has already been gathered which verifies or quantifies this possibility, no scientist has ever even proposed what could possibly constitute such evidence.

Such 'emerging environmental issues' are clearly politically motivated attempts to impose restrictions on the rights of individuals.

Always remember that credible and honest scientists will never push propaganda or emotional manipulation... such parties are usually sinking ships, beware of them.
12/16/2013 11:05 pm
Level 29 : Expert Dragon
Platydroid
I_heart_Notch
Tooper_ManActually, it is both, tectonic plate movement and the green house effect, but seriously, most people know it's most the green house effect. And if the poles do melt because of global warming, it's going to take a long time.

The poles are losing 3 feet of ice a year.

And they have done so in the past as well. When people drill for CO2 bubbles in ice, they only get the past couple thousand or whatever years because of the natural warming and cooling cycles of the earth.
12/16/2013 11:03 pm
Level 29 : Expert Dragon
Platydroid
The earth has gone through several warming and cooling patterns in the past; the cycles are clear to see. It's not the temperature that is a problem (this is relatively normal compared to past cycles), it is the air pollution and excess CO2 that is a problem. This allows more radiation to penetrate through the atmosphere from a weakening ozone layer and it lessens our air quality.

However, less forest ravaging and smarter manufacturing, not green extremist groups, will solve this problem in a matter of decades at minimum.
12/16/2013 11:03 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Modder
ebrbrbbrbrb
Maybe how the dinosaurs were wiped out is how we are going to be wiped out as well. Time to invest on a real life rapture city like bioshock! But yea if it does flood then i'm sure the governments will work together and figure something out. Possibly rapture? c:
12/16/2013 10:57 pm
Level 29 : Expert Geek
Intelligic
I think the planet is just heating up normally.

Once upon a time dinosaurs were wandering around, and they're giant cold-blooded lizards that use sunlight as energy. For them to exist the planet would have had to have been way hotter than it is today.

Our planet is a rock floating around a giant burning ball of death - and we think that somehow it's going to be the same temperature every year? I don't know.

There's a lot of science behind the claims, which I must say, I haven't really looked into - from memory We're living in the hottest decade to date. Correlation doesn't necessarily mean Causation though.

Regardless However, at the end of the day -it is safer to do something about it and maybe lose some money, then to assume it's nothing and end up screwing up the habitability of our planet. I'm actually in favor of renewable energy - I think it makes far more sense then generating energy finitely. I think even if Global Warming ended up being false, renewable energy is something we should be using.
12/16/2013 10:19 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Architect
grootcamelbridgesun
The Solar System has cycles. Global warming could easily be an effect of humanity, but other planets are also heating up. Check out Mars.
12/16/2013 10:11 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blacksmith
I_heart_Notch
Tooper_ManActually, it is both, tectonic plate movement and the green house effect, but seriously, most people know it's most the green house effect. And if the poles do melt because of global warming, it's going to take a long time.

The poles are losing 3 feet of ice a year.
12/16/2013 9:43 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
PegaSmasher360
Unfortunately not many typical people care about global warming because they don't believe it'll impact THEIR time.

Though many people should be concerned.
12/16/2013 9:37 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
Bbaronx
This is why I am not bothered by the globe warming problem. sualeos listed the power sources that could "save the earth" and whatnot, but all of these energy sources are flawed we can start with the sun
Click to reveal
, due to cloud coverage, weather and the fact that you need constant sunlight, and in most cases plastic(made with fossil fuels) to make power, so if you have a rainy season, solar isn't going to work for you, and you destroy the environment with huge solar farms

next wind
Click to reveal
you need large areas to dedicate to wind farms, plastic and steel (require fossel fuels to build the thing, and if you have a still day, no power, and on windy days any birds that fly by are mincemeat.

and finally nuclear power, there are only 2 LARGE problems, nuclear waste that takes <100 years to degrade and cause cancer, and the fact that nuclear reactors, although very improved you still are using hazardous, deadly materials in a reactor, and that is a funny thing for environmentalists to endorse
that is why i dont care, theres nothing I can do, we would have to get the whole world to agree, and I doubt that will ever happen, we find it hard to negotiate a peace treaty on this rock we call earth, and doubt we could agree to stop using fossil fuels, then find a way to get rid of radioactive waste that is safe, and chances are that we will run out of food or blast each other to bits before we can fix global warming
12/16/2013 10:13 pm
Level 24 : Expert Fish
sualeos
Never did i say that all those can save the earth, i said the main reason people think it's a myth is because they love using fossil fuels. There are many alternatives to this so it's not a valid reason to pretend it's a myth,
12/16/2013 9:05 pm
Level 24 : Expert Fish
sualeos
It's a real issue, stupid conservatives think it's all a myth. It is because they are afraid that if we reduce our use of fossil fuels, they will not be able to drive cars, fly in planes or light or heat their homes. But all these things can be done using zero emission energy sources, such as solar, wind or nuclear power. But these people are motivated by fear and, if they have a substantial investment in the hydrocarbon industry, greed..

http://www.toleranceinternational.com/content/view/125/

Read this, it will make you realize how bad & real this really is.
12/20/2013 8:47 am
CaptainRavenAndre
Well you should delete the nuclear power..... does the word "Nuclear Power" and "Nuclear Bomb" remind you of something? Well it should nuclear devices are the most pulloted things in this world. Just look what happened with Hiroshima.
12/15/2013 7:46 pm
Level 27 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
Save the polar bears! End global warming!
12/17/2013 12:29 am
Level 36 : Artisan Architect
jgrocks2
It would take many . . . and I mean many years to 'end' global warming
12/15/2013 7:40 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Diabetic77
Really? Half don't believe in Global Warming? Oh my god... some people just need to grow up and accept that the world is not perfect and that we have caused serious damage to the planet. Global Warming is entirely too real, but i guess half of us just have our heads up our asses or believe in some crappy argument against it because they heard it from someone else. Oh some people really piss me off. Such ignorance...
12/15/2013 7:34 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Pyro
CrespoChimp
http://iceagenow.info/ This website gives you every reason to tell you that global warming is a load of garbage. There's a new Ice-Age coming people. I mean it. Prove it to yourself by going onto that website with endless reports on the latest cold weather.
12/15/2013 4:58 pm
Level 24 : Expert Dragonborn
dalton12311
bump
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome