Great way to learn a language?

Lufuu's Avatar Lufuu5/16/15 8:29 pm
1 emeralds 553 9
5/31/2015 9:30 pm
IceCream_Sundae's Avatar IceCream_Sundae
Im interested in becoming a small time game dev, but i dont know what languages to use or how to learn them, anyone got any sites they wanna share or anything?
Lufuu
Level 21 : Expert Toast

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/30/2015 10:54 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
Phrontier
spires33
FurryYoutube.

Nuff 'Sed.

& CodeAcademy

this
also what language you learning? i suggest c++ cuz then you can put it up as a indie game on xbox. and its faster

This post makes me giggle. Tell us more about what you know about coding please.

wut...?
05/30/2015 10:42 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Phrontier
spires33
FurryYoutube.

Nuff 'Sed.

& CodeAcademy

this
also what language you learning? i suggest c++ cuz then you can put it up as a indie game on xbox. and its faster

This post makes me giggle. Tell us more about what you know about coding please.
05/30/2015 10:15 pm
Phrontier
-Woody-I would not recommend CodeAcademy. Although it teaches you the language itself, it doesn't teach you very much on structure, and doesn't teach why stuff works how it does.

I would agree with you on some of that. I've only used Codecademy for a couple weeks so I'm not too far into the course, but I do wish it said why to do things certain ways.

It's like, give this div the class type of jumbotron. Ok sure, but now I have these questions:
1: What's a jumbotron?
2: Why am I naming it a jumbotron and not something else?
3: What are the other class types?

Then it never answers these questions and moves on.

It does seem like a great way to get a solid foundation however. You may end up reteaching yourself proper style but that's not too difficult to fix.
05/30/2015 10:06 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
I would not recommend CodeAcademy. Although it teaches you the language itself, it doesn't teach you very much on structure, and doesn't teach why stuff works how it does.

I've never tried Youtube, but I would assume it's a bit better than CodeAcademy (since you don't have to read everything, and you see how things are typed), but since you can't ask questions, it might be a bit difficult to troubleshoot problems.

The best way (from personal experience) to learn how to code is to either invest in a private tutor, or learn it in a computer science class in school. I learned a decent amount of Java in school, and I found it exponentially easier to learn than from online tutorials. In school it gives you the ability to work with other people, it allows you to ask questions and get an immediate answer, you can get help from other people when you're troubleshooting a program, and it's just a better learning environment.

But if you cant do either of those (school or private tutor) then you should use both Youtube tutorials and CodeAcademy together.
But as I said before, if you've got the money, investing in a private tutor will make learning it exponentially easier
05/30/2015 8:43 pm
Level 26 : Expert Grump
IceCream_Sundae
duolingo!

You can go to duolingo.com (safe link, I promise) and learn a number of languages for free. It's like Rosetta Stone, but you do not need to pay.

I'm learning German (slowly), and improving my French.
05/30/2015 8:46 pm
Phrontier
Bahahahaha, a coding language mate. He said he wants to become a developer.

Anyway, I agree with YouTube and Codecademy. Codecademy is a great resource for web development and there are endless tutorials on YouTube. Also, invest in a good book. I can recommend a few for Java, C and Lua if you're interested. Read through the book if you want to learn everything new and then you can always use it as a reference tool if you ever forget or want to skip to something complicated.

As for languages, C is the starter language for just about everyone. It's simple and really powerful and will introduce you to a lot of concepts. You can move from C to Java which is considered a little more complex but I personally like Java more. You can also learn C++ which is a more modernized C language that deals with a lot of the complexity of the C language.

Sources: Self-taught myself originally, now currently a Computer Science major.

Best of luck.
05/31/2015 9:30 pm
Level 26 : Expert Grump
IceCream_Sundae
I'm an idiot, hahaha! I totally missed the computer part and just saw "languages". I need more sleep, I'd think
05/16/2015 8:34 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
05/30/2015 10:36 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
this

EDIT: because c++ translates to whatever code the computer uses normal like the numbers and stuff. so i believe it kindof like opening up a program on your computer or something like that. not sure though only just started with c++
also no codecademy i took a class all i did is copy and past code. it ticks be off! cuz now i have to go back to square one when i'm updating my mod
(its not posted on here)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome