GSA help?

solarspectrum's Avatar solarspectrum8/31/16 7:26 pm
1 emeralds 614 5
9/1/2016 9:39 pm
NakuMog's Avatar NakuMog
Hey, so a few of my friends and I are working to start a GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) at my school. We have a teacher willing to host it and we have the required number of members needed to start a club (though we were unaware there was a rule that you needed to have 10-15 members, as some clubs have around 6). Here's our problems:

- worried about student confidentiality. currently we have a set of rules that requires anyone involved in the club to sign a contract saying that releasing a student's information without them knowing or consenting is against the rules. any student found to leak information will be kicked out of the club and brought to the principal. apparently this isn't good enough for the administration so we need another way to prevent student info from getting out at the start. this is or main issue.

- worried about conservative parents. this is a before school club, so the parents need to drop their kids off early. we just need solutions to this, anything helps. even changing the name of the club.

- our club to them is considered a "hang out" space. In reality, it's a safe space to combat the school's perspective on lgbt youth and allies. we work everyday to eliminate the use of harmful slurs and make the school a welcoming and friendly environment. how can we convey that to them, and what activities can we do?

Thanks to everyone who can help out.
solarspectrum
Level 6 : Apprentice Artist