So, is Hawaii a good place to move to?

MissMarifire's Avatar MissMarifire8/20/14 4:56 pm
1 emeralds 1.1k 48
8/22/2014 2:01 am
sidtom's Avatar sidtom
As my parents divorce is coming into finalization in late September (My birthday, woo!) we have been recently talking about the subject of moving to another state. While I wanted to go to a modest and quiet state (Maine, Minnesota, Idaho, etc.) my mother instead wants to move to Hawaii and in our family her word is apparently law and I can't convince her otherwise.

What I am curious about is how exactly is the little chain of islands? Is there things to take note of and think about? I kind of feel she's rushing us to do it, as we've never even come close to Hawaii (I mean, the easternmost state I've been to? The border of Indiana.) And if you don't think Hawaii is the place to be, what would you suggest and why?

Try to at least keep this thread civil. I don't want to start banning people for bringing the thread awry, but being a moderator, I won't hesitate to.
MissMarifire
Retired Moderator
Level 32 : Artisan Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/22/2014 2:01 am
Level 26 : Expert Cowboy
sidtom
Kireblue
From my own personal preference, Hawaii is the best place to live. Trust me, I live here. I live on Oahu, and its really great!
Pros:
~ When ever people come to Hawaii, they always think of the old hawaiians and how its not modern, but Oahu is a very modern place... If you like to be around people, I suggest moving to Waikiki. If you like quiet neighborhoods, I suggest Kahala district or the Aina Koa district. I know a quiet street, Halekoa Dr. Its a really nice community.
~ If you hate the cold, Hawaii is the best place you can go. The temperatures are pretty much the same all year round. In the summer the highest temperature is 89-90 degrees. In the winter the coldest is about 60-65 degrees, and that is only at night time. But there are no seasons here, ;-; So you rarely see the leaves changing color and falling. And there is no snow either.
~ There are great schools here, and really nice people. People here live by ALOHA. That everyone is Ohana (family). Its a really sweet and nice tradition that most people here live by.
~ Let see, what else... I suggest moving to oahu. Thats the best place to be if you want to live "modern." If you go to the Big Island, some places are not all that modern... some places don't have internet, plumbing etc. So I suggest Oahu.
~ Another great thing about Oahu is that it is in the middle of the Hawaii chain. So when a hurricane forms (we recently had 1 hit (Iselle)) Oahu usually doesn't get that much damaged (If its coming in from the sides) The Big Island is usually the one to get the most beaten up.

There is always a price to be paid when living in paradise:
Cons:
~ Hurricane/Tsunamis are one of Hawaii's worst nightmare. Hawaii is located in the middle of the ocean. So there isn't anywhere you can go to evacuate to if a Hurricane hits. We have some shelters, but they are all located on the island. So hurricanes and tsunamis are defiantly the worst thing that can happen to Hawaii.
~ Time difference is a major thing. We are the last ones on that "time list," so we are the most behind... 6 hour difference from EST. Its defiantly a bad thing when trying to "collab" with people in other places, but I learned to cope
~ There is defiantly bad traffic... Hawaii is the one of the places that have REALLY bad traffic. And I mean literally... To get out of town during the afternoons, it takes you about 1 hour in the worst circumstances.

So there is a defiant good and bad side to living in Hawaii. But I think its a great place to live. I really love the nice sunsets and the quiet beaches. The amazing animals here, and the nice birds that wake you up in the morning. Its a really nice place to stay. <3

Yeah like our collab ; - ; I crii why does I have to live on the East Coast ; --- ;
08/22/2014 12:24 am
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
Marthellio
I can tell you one thing, its not good as you think, I lived there for 2 months before, the law control there is like bad, equally as bad as some of the worst places in L.A totally serious, I really don't suggest moving there......
08/22/2014 12:21 am
Level 33 : Artisan Wolf Whisperer
SkyGeckoMC
It's a nice place! My grandmother lives on Maui and I'd say if you never want to get bored that is the best place to go. I'd love to live there, but there are of course problems.

Pros:
You'll never get cold
Just surfing

Cons:
Cuts get infected REALLY easily
Ants will eat ANY crumbs
It's, like, very very hot
I heard jobs aren't easy to come by
Everything is expensive
08/22/2014 12:15 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
I think reality will catch up to your mother and she will realize that moving to Hawaii would cost so much, property is value is insane on the main land. If not, I recommend Oregon, It is one the best states in the united states by Statistics, and opinion.

Every type of weather in the world exist here in Oregon.
08/21/2014 2:03 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
Talk to her? Tell her to think things through a little better, after all it is a pretty big decision.

And if she is really dead set on moving there and you hate it, at least when you are older you can move.

Go there with an open mind anyway, its Hawaii, it looks nice.
08/21/2014 1:51 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Taco
Kireblue
SasukeUchiha2214
Kireblue
MissMarifireAs my parents divorce is coming into finalization in late September (My birthday, woo!) we have been recently talking about the subject of moving to another state. While I wanted to go to a modest and quiet state (Maine, Minnesota, Idaho, etc.) my mother instead wants to move to Hawaii and in our family her word is apparently law and I can't convince her otherwise.

What I am curious about is how exactly is the little chain of islands? Is there things to take note of and think about? I kind of feel she's rushing us to do it, as we've never even come close to Hawaii (I mean, the easternmost state I've been to? The border of Indiana.) And if you don't think Hawaii is the place to be, what would you suggest and why?

Try to at least keep this thread civil. I don't want to start banning people for bringing the thread awry, but being a moderator, I won't hesitate to.

From my own personal preference, Hawaii is the best place to live. Trust me, I live here. I live on Oahu, and its really great!
Pros:
~ When ever people come to Hawaii, they always think of the old hawaiians and how its not modern, but Oahu is a very modern place... If you like to be around people, I suggest moving to Waikiki. If you like quiet neighborhoods, I suggest Kahala district or the Aina Koa district. I know a quiet street, Halekoa Dr. Its a really nice community.
~ If you hate the cold, Hawaii is the best place you can go. The temperatures are pretty much the same all year round. In the summer the highest temperature is 89-90 degrees. In the winter the coldest is about 60-65 degrees, and that is only at night time. But there are no seasons here, ;-; So you rarely see the leaves changing color and falling. And there is no snow either.
~ There are great schools here, and really nice people. People here live by ALOHA. That everyone is Ohana (family). Its a really sweet and nice tradition that most people here live by.
~ Let see, what else... I suggest moving to oahu. Thats the best place to be if you want to live "modern." If you go to the Big Island, some places are not all that modern... some places don't have internet, plumbing etc. So I suggest Oahu.
~ Another great thing about Oahu is that it is in the middle of the Hawaii chain. So when a hurricane forms (we recently had 1 hit (Iselle)) Oahu usually doesn't get that much damaged (If its coming in from the sides) The Big Island is usually the one to get the most beaten up.

Cons:
~ Hurricane/Tsunamis are one of Hawaii's worst nightmare. Hawaii is located in the middle of the ocean. So there isn't anywhere you can go to evacuate to if a Hurricane hits. We have some shelters, but they are all located on the island. So hurricanes and tsunamis are defiantly the worst thing that can happen to Hawaii.
~ Time difference is a major thing. We are the last ones on that "time list," so we are the most behind... 6 hour difference from EST. Its defiantly a bad thing when trying to "collab" with people in other places, but I learned to cope
~ There is defiantly bad traffic... Hawaii is the one of the places that have REALLY bad traffic. And I mean literally... To get out of town during the afternoons, it takes you about 1 hour in the worst circumstances.

So there is a defiant good and bad side to living in Hawaii. But I think its a great place to live. I really love the nice sunsets and the quiet beaches. The amazing animals here, and the nice birds that wake you up in the morning. Its a really nice place to stay. <3

You hawaiians must not know what traffic is, if you call that bad traffic. Have you ever stepped foot in LA?

I've been to la. I agree, hawaii traffic is not that bad, but it is still one of the worst. Plus since Hawaii is a small island, there aren't many roads and alternatives to get around the traffic
08/21/2014 1:34 pm
Level 28 : Expert Pirate
HassanPCMR
Kireblue
MissMarifireAs my parents divorce is coming into finalization in late September (My birthday, woo!) we have been recently talking about the subject of moving to another state. While I wanted to go to a modest and quiet state (Maine, Minnesota, Idaho, etc.) my mother instead wants to move to Hawaii and in our family her word is apparently law and I can't convince her otherwise.

Pros:

Cons:

You hawaiians must not know what traffic is, if you call that bad traffic. Have you ever stepped foot in LA?
08/21/2014 1:12 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Taco
Kireblue

Pros:

Cons:

08/21/2014 12:34 am
Level 1 : New Miner
steewped
Great place to visit. But lets be realistic normal people cant afford to do much there and the little bit there is to do gets old fast. The natives don't really like new comers you will be referred to as a "Haole". The place is fun for a week or 2 but you can only get sun burned so many times and make so many sand castles. Hope your mom is loaded and you like not having any friends, they are not very accepting people. In a nut shell fun to visit sucks to live.
08/21/2014 12:22 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Pokemon
EnchantedM
hawaii can be interesting but you do need to think of things.

Hawaii on the big island is a volcano. government will probably have houses far away from it (of course!) but still if you have any type of fear of dying from volcano explosions (what are you talking about mike xD) then you need to think of that.

It will though bring lots of new experiences to your life though.

Water everywhere. Beaches. Hot. It will be fun, for the first few months or years

things will begin to be the same like the tourist attractions.

And then the last thing is tsunamis. Island who are very well known for tsunami disasters. So you need to think of that too.

Houses are way to much into expense and going to california would actually cost a little less.

Then the parasitic and bacterial diseases that are in the water and land.

Giardiasis Its a parasite that is found in water that can give you severe bathroom trips and vomiting.

Yersiniosis A Bacteria found in water, sea food, and dairy products (mostly found in hawaii) that goes for children and gives you mild to severe bathroom trips

Cryptosporidiosis A parasite found in water that gives you severe bathrooms trips, flu like symptoms, vomiting, and if untreated death.

So really its your choice and your moms. It might be better to move to California if you still want to go tropical (florida is a no no) and take vacations to Hawaii but i cant really push you to it. Here where i live (Illinois ) we get cold winters and hot summers and only tornadoes. We have beaches too because of the lake so really its nice here but remember its your choice. Either way HAVE FUN!
08/21/2014 12:20 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Skinner
me7676
Hey. I've never been to Hawaii, but I know a lot of people who have. Let me tell you, Hawaii May be one of the best places to visit, but it's not as much as a good place to live. One reason is everything is super expensive. Another thing is you live on an island, it's just not enough to explore. But this is totally your opinion. I live in Seattle. It's calm here wih lots of green and fresh ocean air, although it can be cold at times, it's perfect in the summer.

Also we have good schools.
08/21/2014 3:29 am
Level 48 : Master Pixel Painter
basicbrick
I live in Seattle too, its really great here.
08/22/2014 12:07 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Skinner
me7676
Yea, I'm on vacation right now in Gaungzhou, and it makes me realize what good a place Seattle, no, U.S.A and Canada, is. To be honest about my opinion in Gaungzhou is that if you travel a lot, it's a good place to visit. I mean, there is a Chimelong Themepark. But if your like me, whose never been to China in like 10 years, it's hard. Seriously, it's very dirty everywhere, it smells horrible, the population sucks, you can't go anywhere without being pushed, people are usually rude, kids pee on the street, and it's way to hot! If you're moving or going to China, I recommend Hong Kong. People are nicer there, it's near the ocean, it's always warm (not hot), and people there speak multiple languages. It makes me realize what a paradise I had in my own little neighborhood house. I'm not saying that Gaungzhou is a bad area to live, I'm just saying it's not for me. Oh, btw, don't move to Arizona, the people are nice, but it's hotter than Gaungzhou there... 109 every summer. If you don't wanna live in Washington or Idaho, I recommend California.
08/21/2014 12:06 am
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
You want to go to dem good schools and colledges hit up mass
08/20/2014 11:45 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Toast
GG50
If she's looking to just get out west, Washington or Oregon would be better options expenses wise. Hawaii and California aren't really worth it in the long run. Our taxes in good ol' Cali make it especially difficult to live here for an extended period of time.
And to the people saying California has a nice climate- This drought is wonderful!
Yes I realize that's a rare occurrence, but hey, I like to be a downer.
08/20/2014 11:49 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
but the drought can cause issues for the whole country. Like higher prices for crops in the store.
08/21/2014 12:04 am
Level 31 : Artisan Toast
GG50
True, but it's hitting our state especially hard, since in many cases our agriculture is a source of income for many families.
08/20/2014 11:36 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
Massachusetts - Best Ed, good climate, rare natural disasters
Cali - Warm, Good Ed, good climate (other than the fact that cali is predicted to be destroyed by a giant earthquake)
08/21/2014 12:33 am
HassanPCMR
Wait what? Now I really wish my house actually does have a basement, and its just hidden.
08/20/2014 11:31 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
I dont think Hawaii is a good choice, yes it is very nice, but you have higher expenses, like someone else said, Hawaii is one of the most expensive place to live, plus you got to deal with the occasional hurricane, which could cause you to be homeless until your home is rebuilt or in financial troubles.

I would recommend that you talk to your mom to moving somewhere else. Idaho is great, if you like small-medium sized cities, moving to the Boise or Caldwell area is nice, small towns, go more north or east. The west is nice, I dont really like california, never have, oregon, and washington are nice, colorado is also nice, Wyoming and Montana are nice as well. But, talk to your mom as she has the final say and tell her why you do or dont want to move to hawaii. If you dont, try to find as many cons and list those.
08/20/2014 11:22 pm
Level 26 : Expert Cowboy
sidtom
Well, I live in Vermont (yeah total opposite of hawaii) so I think it would be quite nice other then the money and the natural disaters.

I'm going to show this to Kireblue because she lives in Hawaii.
08/20/2014 11:14 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
janidorr
Just to add on, remember, you're moving there too. And if your mom could at least sit down with you and you could tell her your thoughts about moving, she might listen. If you're gonna move somewhere new, you deserve to put your two cents into the decision, whether she will allow it or not, at least tell her that you would enjoy moving to XYZ.
08/20/2014 6:13 pm
HassanPCMR
Also before I was born, my family lived in the chicago suburbs, and it was apparently great! But dont jump into that either, because i heard that the city is taking a turn for the worse.
08/20/2014 6:09 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Geek
Skullduggerycain
I've been fortunate in my travel experiences. I lived in asia for a while, and my family has been fortunate enough to have the money to have visited Hawaii many times. My advice to you is this: Hawaii is beautiful year round, and an ideal vacation spot. However there is a smaller level of depression, with the "white man" doing all the actual labor, and the native Hawaiians working dead end, minimum wage jobs. The entire state is now pretty much a complete tourist trap. The big island is great for vacationing, and it's absolutely beautiful, but the non-resort areas are actually pretty ugly. They're full of trash, gangs, and other unpleasant stuff. If you can find a nice enough neighborhood in Hawaii, and you have your heart set on it, I'd say yes, go. But it's not something to jump into.
08/20/2014 5:57 pm
HassanPCMR
but then again, i dont think PMC is the right place to ask about life changing decisions
08/20/2014 5:56 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Architect
awesomecheeseman
I have lived in both Hawaii and Minnesota, here are some advantages and disadvantages.

Minnesota:
Lots of things to do.
Nice people.
Great Schools.
Lakes.
Hipsters.
FREEZING...
Road construction.

Hawaii:
Beaches.
Pretty.
Lots of things to do.
Nice all year 'round.
Traffic.
Tourists.
Higher cost of living.

Best of luck,
cheez.
08/20/2014 5:54 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Zombie
Repson
It's really a tough spot you're in here, With me and my highschool days coming to a close, I recently visited my Girlfriend in Australia, not just to visit her, But to see If I was interested in moving there. And to be honest I love it there but I don't quite have the money, and Hawaii is quite an expenisive trip. So If you have the money you could take a vacation there and then decide if you want to move. But with that much money you could probably move to California or some better place.
08/20/2014 5:54 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Artist
Roer
Well sorry to sound discouraging, but my aunt lives in Hawaii and completely hates it . . .
08/20/2014 5:53 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Cake
Jrcarp
Your mom has 100% custody?
08/20/2014 5:49 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
NikoCoelho
Whatever you do, don't move to Connecticut. It stinks here.
08/21/2014 12:09 am
Level 48 : Master Answer
Refined_Malachite
What he said.
CT is terribly boring, and also it has some of the highest taxes.
And also Gas is 'spensive as something that's very espensive.
I mean besides for like me being there it's pretty lame.

pshshshshhshshsh
08/20/2014 5:45 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
Hawaii is a great place full of wonders and uniqueness. My extended trips were pretty fun there out on the beaches. However, I wouldn't ever want to live in Oahu. Ol' hot Las Vegas is where I'm staying.

Pros:
-Very nice weather all year-long
-Very relaxed place
-The ocean of course!
-Crime rate is extremely low

Cons:
-The cost! Oh god the expenses! You'd be better off in California.
-Not a lot of area to travel within.
-The tourist attractions will get boring really quickly.
-The government is so slow with things. Never understood why.

But again, it's your Mom's decision along with yours. Only you two can decide.
08/20/2014 5:55 pm
HassanPCMR
Hawaii is more expensive than California? Heh noone can live in cali, except for me because i was born here. If hawaii is more expensive than california, i think its a bad choice, and you would be better off in california
08/20/2014 6:06 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
With a simple google search...
Hawaii is the 2nd most expensive state to live in. New York is #1.

California isn't the only place to live in. There are many great places to live in that won't take a bite out of your savings.
08/20/2014 6:11 pm
HassanPCMR
I recommended california because it seemed they had the money to move to hawaii, and in california its a bit less, aswell as having great weather(No tsunamis,tornados etc.),tourist attractions that dont get old, beaches(sadly not as good as the ones in hawaii), and all the drivers in california are typically more careful than in other states.
08/20/2014 6:05 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
Moving to Hawaii is more expensive than moving to California. Living in California is more expensive because taxes are outrageous there. 2nd worst in U.S., after Illinois.
08/20/2014 6:07 pm
HassanPCMR
Ya except with the money used to buy my house in cali, you could buy a mansion in illinois.
08/20/2014 5:29 pm
Level 44 : Master Wolf Whisperer
ImaLittleCreeper
Don't be mistaken, the water at those beaches is FREEZING. It's a pretty place with a close knit community though. Think about it, it's a big difference than what you are used to.
08/20/2014 5:25 pm
Level 20 : Expert Skinner
xXTheArcherXx
It depends on what you like. This is really opinion based, and there is no right or wrong answer. I'm sorry that your parents are divorced.
08/20/2014 5:35 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
NoahTheDog
This.
08/20/2014 5:24 pm
Level 21 : Expert Scribe
PukedOutKiwi
MissMarifire
PukedOutKiwiDo you know why your mom picked out Hawaii in the first place? Is there really nothing you can do to convince her of moving anywhere else? If not, other then the occasional tsunamis (like once a decade, don't worry), Hawaii is a wonderful place. I don't live there, but it's such a beautiful place. I went there with my parents for windsurfing in Oahu, so if you ever want to surf or windsurf, or do stuff on the beach, Hawaii is your place.

If you don't want to move to Hawaii, think of it this way: New Ways, New Life, New Day. By moving, you leave your old home, and live your new life with a new persona. Good luck
She's always been one for being 'unique', and it's very, very hard to convince my mom to not do something. I do see your point there though; it is a new point in life.

Hawaii is in fact, a unique place. Living there would be very different from where you live now. But a unique location shouldn't be looked down upon. Ignore the negatives, look at the positives. There's always a sun behind the clouds
08/20/2014 5:12 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
janidorr
California.

plz
08/22/2014 12:20 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
Yeah
08/20/2014 6:03 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
Money.

plz[/quote]
It's more expensive to move to Hawaii than California. Just sayin'
08/20/2014 5:10 pm
Level 21 : Expert Scribe
PukedOutKiwi
Do you know why your mom picked out Hawaii in the first place? Is there really nothing you can do to convince her of moving anywhere else? If not, other then the occasional tsunamis (like once a decade, don't worry), Hawaii is a wonderful place. I don't live there, but it's such a beautiful place. I went there with my parents for windsurfing in Oahu, so if you ever want to surf or windsurf, or do stuff on the beach, Hawaii is your place.

If you don't want to move to Hawaii, think of it this way: New Ways, New Life, New Day. By moving, you leave your old home, and live your new life with a new persona. Good luck
08/20/2014 5:18 pm
MissMarifire
She's always been one for being 'unique', and it's very, very hard to convince my mom to not do something. I do see your point there though; it is a new point in life.

HawkstormerCalifornia.

plz

Money.

plz
08/20/2014 5:01 pm
MissMarifire
-HarrySmith-
What Island?

Hawai'i/Big Island or O'ahu.
08/20/2014 4:58 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect
SchnauzerGames

What Island?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome