How safe is a Minecraft Server from potential copyright?

Spy Jay's Avatar Spy Jay3/1/20 8:02 pm
2 emeralds 497 2
3/2/2020 6:29 pm
Spy Jay's Avatar Spy Jay
Hey PMC Community. I'm Spy Jay. I've owned several Minecraft server, one that has been open for years and most of them have been directed at a general fanbase for certain well known topics like Marvel, Greek Mythology, Star Wars, DC. Over the years there has been two occasions where a player holds it over the playerbase's heads that if the server is not affiliated with the actual company in possession of that intellectual property that the server refers to, that we are subject to being taken down for copyright, along with potential lawsuits.

Obviously in these situations the player is most likely just being a vibe killer, or trying to put me as the owner in a uncomfortable position. The first time was a very young and toxic player (if I had to guess he was 11-12) simply threatening me for not unbanning him. The second time, the player was also potentially young and quite naive, didn't seem to have any negative intentions but again it's still discomforting. Anyways, in spite of that, the fact is there is still truth to my server using Marvel, DC, or any intellectual property/copyrighted characters.

So the question still stands.. Let's take my server Marvel MC for example, it's been around since June 2016. Would a server like Marvel MC be subject to being taken down by Mojang per request by Marvel Entertainment/Disney?

I personally believe my server is in the safe. It's been open for years, consistently at that. Meanwhile other servers who have attempted to do the same style/genre have not been able to last very long. Additionally, Minecraft isn't Roblox. Minecraft doesn't a huge history of servers being taken down for infringing copyright the same way Roblox has a history of Pokemon games being taken down by Nintendo. Or does it? I did research, didn't find anything just like I didn't find a clear answer to this question. That's why I'm making this post right now.

Lastly, generally speaking the server is relatively small. This doesn't atone for potential copyright infringement, but it does say something in comparison to the other bigger servers like Harry Potter, Pokemon (or is it Pixelmon?) and Airbending that have not had a problem at all.

So what are your thoughts on this people? I'd love to hear your feedback, especially with experience and extended knowledge on the topic of IP. And if my server is in a dangerous place because of this, I'd love to know what step I could take next to avoid any trouble alltogether.

Thanks for reading!
Spy Jay
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Lad