Ender_Graphics's Avatar Ender_Graphics3/28/14 8:37 pm
1 emeralds 2.1k 77
3/31/2014 12:37 am
Mishkia's Avatar Mishkia
First (Original) Poem
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
Four-score Men and Four-score more,
Could not make Humpty Dumpty where he was before.

-Samuel Arnold's Juvenile Amusements (1797)

So does that say anything about Humpty Dumpty being an egg? No.
How about the new(er) one from the poet Mother Goose:

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

Still nothing about him being an egg :/

Here is an excerpt from the article on Wikipedia:

[i][quote]The rhyme does not explicitly state that the subject is an egg, possibly because it may have been originally posed as a riddle.[/i]
Source: [url]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpty_Dumpty[/url]
[/quote]
More facts:

In some later publishing's of Humpty Dumpty its does show pictures of him being an egg but not in the original one.
Also, one theory is that maybe he was a cannon.

Anyhow I just want you guy's opinion on this, Is he an egg or some other thing...
Ender_Graphics
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/30/2014 8:15 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Pixel Painter
TheMCBros99
He is the US economy
03/30/2014 9:15 pm
Level 28 : Expert Scribe
Cool_Time22
Achievement Get: Political Joke!
03/31/2014 12:37 am
Level 39 : Artisan Farmer
Mishkia
Lol
03/30/2014 5:34 pm
Level 42 : Master Sailor
Dunlan_Willowbo
He is an egg. Because thats how my mom said the story, and my childhood was not a lie.
03/30/2014 6:52 pm
Cool_Time22
This is a debate whether or not he IS an egg. The original poem doesn't state he is or is not an egg. However, we are all entitled to our own opinions.
03/30/2014 10:25 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
You're funny.
03/30/2014 6:46 pm
Mishkia
For you it could be an egg, for others it could have been the sky, and for others it could be some child who didn't pay attention. No one's childhood is a lie.
But honestly, its just how you believe Humpty was/is.
[Not to seem rude or anythin']
03/30/2014 9:28 pm
Level 42 : Master Sailor
Dunlan_Willowbo
Mommy would never lie to me.
03/31/2014 12:37 am
Mishkia
I wasn't saying she was lieing. I was just statin' that everyone's parents has it told to them different.
03/30/2014 12:13 am
Chron
Tanasmmo
ChronalgaIt never even says that it broke... It just says that it fell, and they couldn't return it to its original position.

It really just feels like a metaphor that can be twisted slightly to represent many different concepts, rather than a poem with a hard and fast meaning and story structure.

Ender_GraphicsFirst (Original) Poem

The bold sentence says he broke.

I was referring to the original. Mother Goose's version is one viewpoint of the metaphor.
03/30/2014 12:07 am
Ender_Graphics
I think this post just died xD
03/30/2014 12:13 am
Cool_Time22
NOPE
03/30/2014 12:18 am
Ender_Graphics
You don't say xD
03/30/2014 12:35 am
Ender_Graphics
Dead again xD
03/30/2014 4:06 pm
Mishkia
YEP xD
03/30/2014 5:30 pm
Cool_Time22
Not if I have anything to do with it
03/29/2014 8:46 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Honestly it could be anything that can be broken from a fall. Which is...a lot of things.
It's most likely a human then. Never sit on a wall.

But as I said, it could be a lot of things. Therefore there is no answer.
03/29/2014 8:41 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Sus
shinadafan2012
#HumptyisthePlaneofTimeandSpace
03/29/2014 5:42 pm
Ender_Graphics
[=UPDATE TO THIS DEBATE=]
Now there is a poll (for voting) and I edited some spacing issues on the post
And now there is a blog! (http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/humpty-dumpty-is-not-an-egg--proof-)
03/29/2014 4:01 pm
Ender_Graphics
wow so many views and comments thanks so much
#HumptyIsACannon
03/29/2014 3:51 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
okoloto
He was a king taht died in a war. All kings men could not put him back together again sugests that they were trying to defend him or heal him. The great fall mean he died
03/29/2014 3:39 pm
Level 24 : Expert Nerd
Fluffyponyy
Man, he could be anything you can break.
Humpty was a PUZZLE.
Humpty was a VASE.
Humpty was a LIGHTBULB.
Humpty was a PORTRAIT.
03/29/2014 3:34 pm
Chron
It never even says that it broke... It just says that it fell, and they couldn't return it to its original position.

It really just feels like a metaphor that can be twisted slightly to represent many different concepts, rather than a poem with a hard and fast meaning and story structure.
03/29/2014 3:36 pm
Mishkia
Ender_GraphicsFirst (Original) Poem

The bold sentence says he broke.
03/29/2014 3:28 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Pixel Painter
TheMCBros99
He could be a desktop computer in the wall....
03/29/2014 3:34 pm
Mishkia
Or an Xbox Controller or a controller in general..
03/29/2014 3:24 pm
Fluffyponyy
What if Humpty was a HEART? What if he broke when, I don't know, his true love (who was on the wall with him) didn't like him anymore? So he fell down the wall and broke.
160 of Kings men tried to fix him, but only his true love could fix his broken heart.
03/29/2014 3:20 pm
Fluffyponyy
Exactly what I mean, Tanasmmo. So that's why I'm scraping Cannon off from the "What Humpty Could Possibly Be" list.
Wanna see the list?
Click to reveal
Egg cannon (not mine), puzzle, egg(bah)
03/29/2014 2:28 pm
Fluffyponyy
And can someone plz explain to me why they thought Humpty was a CANNON?!??! I mean, how weirder can this get?!??
03/29/2014 3:16 pm
Mishkia
I don't even understand how people could put 'Cannon' into context if CANNONS RARELY BREAK! Unless it was rust...then they were cleanin' off the rust...And were really flippin' medieval...
03/29/2014 3:23 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Laxynd
The riddle states that Humpty Dumpty had a great fall, and that the men couldn't put it back where it was. (Referring to original version)

It doesn't mention that it broke.

But I still say it's an egg
03/29/2014 3:33 pm
Mishkia
Two things, none to offend.
One;
You should probably refer to the 'unoriginal' one too, as both matter, cause we're not just goin' with the original. In the 'unoriginal' it states he BROKE, also in the original it could have fell and broke, but only said it fell because it fit and adding "and broke" would ruin the rhythm of the poem.

Two,
You don't need to say 'I still say its an egg.' every reply to someone who has cannon in their comment/reply. If you go with egg, alright you go with egg, if your replyin' to somethin' stating 'I'm with cannon' and you reply to the stating with something how cannon makes sense, alright makes sense, but if your replyin' to someone saying "How does a cannon even break? :/" or something like that, you don't need to add it, cause your answerin' that maybe 'Cannon's cant, lol.' and not agreein' with the cannon if you say it. Not to offend, of course. Just saying.
03/29/2014 2:35 pm
Laxynd
Quoting wikipedia:
From 1996 the website of the Colchester tourist board attributed the origin of the rhyme to a cannon recorded as used from the church of St Mary-at-the-Wall by the Royalist defenders in the siege of 1648. In 1648 Colchester was a walled town with a castle and several churches and was protected by the city wall. The story given was that a large cannon, which the website claimed was colloquially called Humpty Dumpty, was strategically placed on the wall. A shot from a Parliamentary cannon succeeded in damaging the wall beneath Humpty Dumpty which caused the cannon to tumble to the ground. The Royalists, or Cavaliers, "all the King's men", attempted to raise Humpty Dumpty on to another part of the wall, but because the cannon was so heavy "All the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put Humpty together again"

However, the lines in question were not even in the original riddle, and this event happened more than a century before the riddle of Humpty Dumpty was first recorded.

I'm still sticking with 'He's an egg'.
03/29/2014 1:46 pm
Fluffyponyy
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall because he was a silly child or he was protecting something.
The kings men and kings horses might have come because he was of some importance- like for example, the kings kid.
He broke because he was something that you can break and put back together.
my theory is that Humpy Dumpty was a puzzle and the kings men were too dumb to put him back together.
Since this was a child's story and all, the whole world of humpty could have been a world of toys
So the kings men and horses could have been toy soldiers and humpty was a puzzle and the wall was made of Legos
It could have been a life lesson to teach children to:
A) be more careful (not doing this resulting in falling down de wall)
B) learning (not doing this resulting in not being able to put a puzzle together, literally and not literally)
03/29/2014 1:41 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
PMCPlayer123
x
03/29/2014 1:39 pm
Level 48 : Master Baconator
SonicFan1011
I did eventually figure it out
03/29/2014 1:34 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
Seghas
But, it never said they CAME and tried to fix him. It just said that they couldn't if they tried.
03/29/2014 1:37 pm
Cool_Time22
It also never explicitly said he broke.
So much is implied in nursery rhymes that if we took everything literally we could say that Humpty fell off and they couldn't put him back on the wall. We could also say that coming off the wall he fell and broke his foot and they had to cut it off, or that a week later he tripped over a rock and fell down a river... etc... etc....
If we take the poem TOO literally and assume it implies nothing whatsoever, there are hundreds of ways we could go.
03/29/2014 1:31 pm
Cool_Time22
LaxyndThe answer to this riddle, is indeed an egg.
Simply because if an egg were to roll and fall off a wall, it doesn't matter how many people that tried to put it back together, the egg would remain shattered.

The original version of the riddle, never stated anything about horses, or anything suggesting that the men were soldiers.

Four-score[80] Men and Four-score[80] more,
Could not make Humpty Dumpty where he was before

An egg was on a wall, it then fell off the wall. 160 people tried to fix it, but that's impossible, because it's an egg.
There is simply nothing more to it.
The fact that there was 160 people trying to fix Humpty Dumpty does not suggest that he/it was of some importance, but rather emphasizing the fact that it doesn't matter how many people try to fix him/it, it's not going to happen.

And if he wasn't an egg, why was he then later portrayed as being an egg?

However,
the question is then:
"Why did the riddle begin to feature king's men and king's horses?"

But why did anyone come at all if he was an egg? He was probably later portrayed as an egg because someone thought an egg was more childlike and because eggs are easy to break. If it was indeed an egg who the heck cares if it breaks? Only someone with one egg. And even then only that ONE person would try and fix it, not 160 people. Unless 160 people were sharing the egg, but then, why? Too many questions result from it being an egg. It's been portrayed as an egg because the truth (a cannon, a soldier, etc) would be too serious for a nursery rhyme.
03/29/2014 1:09 pm
Mishkia
Cool_Time22
Tanasmmo
Cool_Time22
Well, we also must ask the question WHY was he on the wall? If the soldier was on break, why sit on a wall instead of in the barracks? Humpty could have been an archer on a wall, trying to protect his fellow soldiers, but got shot with a cannon or was attacked, causing him to fall and, indeed, break his bones.
But still this doesn't explain why ALL the king's soldiers and men tried to fix him. Unless he was himself the king.

Ehhh...He was sittin' on the wall cause it had a great view of the place? Or like you said...archer...Or an Archer King! Eheh Archer King...

The king himself could have led the battle, and just happened to stand on the wall to get a better view.

Possible.
If he was a human, not directin' what rank in a king's army, there's many possibility's. For all we know, it was a medic on the wall looking out to battle in case they needed to quickly get to the wounded soldiers.
03/29/2014 1:08 pm
Laxynd
The answer to this riddle, is indeed an egg.
Simply because if an egg were to roll and fall off a wall, it doesn't matter how many people that tried to put it back together, the egg would remain shattered.

The original version of the riddle, never stated anything about horses, or anything suggesting that the men were soldiers.

Four-score[80] Men and Four-score[80] more,
Could not make Humpty Dumpty where he was before

An egg was on a wall, it then fell off the wall. 160 people tried to fix it, but that's impossible, because it's an egg.
There is simply nothing more to it.
The fact that there was 160 people trying to fix Humpty Dumpty does not suggest that he/it was of some importance, but rather emphasizing the fact that it doesn't matter how many people try to fix him/it, it's not going to happen.

And if he wasn't an egg, why was he then later portrayed as being an egg?

However,
the question is then:
"Why did the riddle begin to feature king's men and king's horses?"
03/29/2014 12:31 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
It's pretty obvious it isn't an egg.
"Oh, let's put an egg on the wall!"
"Oh no, the egg fell! Welp, better get the soldiers out here!"
03/29/2014 5:36 pm
Level 22 : Expert Princess
arlodee
What if the egg (Humpty Dumpty) was of great importance. What if he was an upper class egg who was the advisor to the king? or a landlord maybe? It's all left to interpretation.

Just another thing, fables generally don't make any sense. Have you ever observed a wolf blowing houses down?
03/29/2014 12:25 pm
Cool_Time22
Tanasmmo
Cool_Time22
Tanasmmo
Okay. We have our facts.
1. Humpty was on a wall
2. People wanted to help fix Humpty
3. He broke
So using those three facts...He could have been a Soldier on break sitting on a wall, and when he fell he broke some bones, and then he was taken to a medic. Makes sense to me.

Well, we also must ask the question WHY was he on the wall? If the soldier was on break, why sit on a wall instead of in the barracks? Humpty could have been an archer on a wall, trying to protect his fellow soldiers, but got shot with a cannon or was attacked, causing him to fall and, indeed, break his bones.
But still this doesn't explain why ALL the king's soldiers and men tried to fix him. Unless he was himself the king.

Ehhh...He was sittin' on the wall cause it had a great view of the place? Or like you said...archer...Or an Archer King! Eheh Archer King...

The king himself could have led the battle, and just happened to stand on the wall to get a better view.
03/29/2014 12:21 pm
Mishkia
Cool_Time22
Tanasmmo
Okay. We have our facts.
1. Humpty was on a wall
2. People wanted to help fix Humpty
3. He broke
So using those three facts...He could have been a Soldier on break sitting on a wall, and when he fell he broke some bones, and then he was taken to a medic. Makes sense to me.

03/29/2014 12:12 pm
Level 26 : Expert Engineer
Biscuits72
I believe that Humpty Dumpty is a cannon
03/29/2014 1:29 am
Level 33 : Artisan Nerd
LegoSpidermanFan
it could be ar riddle that very few solved
03/29/2014 12:57 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
ShdwBlock
Egg vs Cannon is still strong here...

Cannon falling of a wall - breaking isn't necessarily correct, nor is the egg theory, (A giant egg on a wall... Kids want to hear about a giant egg on a wall... Kids want to know how people couldn't fix a giant egg that fell off a wall... I doubt) but then again, a cannon falling of a wall is completely logical. Maybe humpty dumpty is a teapot. Or a chair. Or a plant. Or a human being like someone in the other page said.
03/29/2014 1:28 am
Cool_Time22
I'm strongly for the human theory. Specifically I think he's the king, because ALL the king's horses and men came to help him, not just some. If he was some soldier no one would care and a duke or something similar to that would get many but not ALL people. Only the king could get everyone - literally all the king's men - to help him when he was in trouble.
03/29/2014 12:50 am
Level 20 : Expert Pirate
Bleyd
What I don't understand is why the story/poem/riddle mentions the king's horses. Sure, get all the king's men to come and try to put him back together again, but what good are horses going to be? Maybe they can get the king's men to him faster, but does anyone really expect a horse to suddenly whip out a tube of krazy glue and reassemble the shattered Mr. Dumpty? And if he's a person and this isn't a metaphor for anything, is one of the king's equines going to don a gown, reveal his secret training as a trauma surgeon, and save the not-egg's life?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome