forum Forumsplay_arrow Discussions fiber_manual_record General

Idea to improve planet minecraft (downloads directly from the website)

2 emeralds4 replies110 views
created 10/14/2018 9:52 pm by SwiftNinjaPro
last reply 10/15/2018 10:13 am
I think planet minecraft should work on hosting download links instead of people going through midiafire first. I think having downloads happen directly on the website could have a few benefits.

1.) The website would be able to make add money

2.) Downloads would be safer if the website has restrictions on file types, and is pickier then MediaFire with the adds, to where users don't as easily risk accidently downloading a virus by clicking on an add.

3.) It could make it much easier for your admins to monitor what is being posted, and make this website much more secure, giving users more of a reason to choose it over other websites.

second idea: add a suggestions category :D

Poll ended 11/13/2018 9:52 pm.

Posted by avatar
SwiftNinjaPro
Level 23 : Expert Engineer

4 replies

10/14/2018 10:20 pm
Level 70 Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Planet Minecraft does support the use of direct downloads from their servers.
They also offer external link support so that people can still use their own system. This feature is offered so that people have freedom to use perhaps a faster download host, or to better track their download audience.

The use of MediaFire is a community choice, and PMC does offer some restrictions on what external hosts are allowed for safety reasons. People downloading from those locations should be aware of the risks they are taking by leaving PMC (as one should do with any website where you link to a different website).
10/14/2018 10:37 pm
Level 51 Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Aside of what Zitz already said, not allowing people to use external hosts and only allowing people to host on our site presents a pretty big challenge logistically in that there'd have to be a much larger dedication of resources to have storage space for all the uploads on our site. Large file share services already have that covered.

Also, additional thoughts on each of your points:

1. I don't really see how this would make any more ad money for the site. The user would still need to go to the exact same place as they do now for a download except there shouldn't be any redirects if we're hosting it from our site. It doesn't make sense to force the user to load a new page if it can be served from the submission page as it currently is for submissions whose owner decides to use our site to host.

2. Restrictions on file types doesn't stop people. It just makes things a little bit more difficult for legitimate uploaders who want to share a non-malicious .exe or other file type that could be used maliciously. Viruses also aren't super typical on our site. Greenlight weeds a lot of nasty things out, our mods are pretty active in checking things that look fishy, and the community flags stuff that we miss quickly. Mediafire, Dropbox, and Mega are all pretty good about making their download links stand out. I feel like you're referring to things like Ad.fly here, which is definitely a concern and something that we've talked about a few times before as a team.
10/15/2018 10:13 am
Level 23 Expert Engineer
SwiftNinjaPro
I meant a more simple restriction, like requiring it be in a zip file for new files, while still allowing old files to be as they are. could also automatically put it in a zip file. and you mention ad.fly, that was mostly what I was focused on. maby even simply taking off mediafire for new uploads would work. media fire isn't very secure anyway, while things like google drive scan for viruses and can't be hacked as easily as mediafire. or at least promoting the use of other downloaders besides mediafire could be good. with it, could be a basic tutorial on how to use a different downloader like google drive and dropbox, just for those who don't know another method.
10/14/2018 10:15 pm
Level 1 New Miner
PleaseBeNiceToDucks
you are a new fangled minecrafter back in my day we could only play with bricks. recently I have been angry at Minecraft because I cant find enough spruce wood to make my house. I cannot sleep at nigh because of this. I am enerexic and am depressed. please donate spruce wood.

Search

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2018
planetminecraft.com

Welcome