Indie Games VS Triple A Games!

AnimeFanFTW's Avatar AnimeFanFTW4/30/15 1:25 am
5/4/2015 12:20 pm
serdarminecraft's Avatar serdarminecraft
Do you prefer Minecraft or Halo?
Call of Duty or Binding of Issac?
Grand Theft Auto or Goat Simulator?

Which do you prefer: Indie Games or Triple A Games?

For me, I'd say Indie games. They seem more fun and creative.
AnimeFanFTW
Forum Moderator
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/04/2015 12:20 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Warrior
serdarminecraft
INDIIEIEEEEIEIIEIE!!!!1111111
05/04/2015 11:49 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
Indie. I'll give you a few reasons:
a) Most AAA games have so many sequels that they will literally blow your mind.
b) Indie games are a lot cheaper.
c) While AAA games are usually similar in concept indie games are entirely different from each other, because they are usually made by different developers. Take Cylne for example, have you seen a game like that?

On the topic of early access:
This feature gets way too much hate for idiotic reasons - bugs. If you didn't read the millions of disclaimers telling you that it is early access and that it will be buggy you don't deserve the help of support.
05/04/2015 10:39 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Honestly, I like both. Evolve, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, and GTA 4 and 5 are all great games. I chose Indie in the poll because it's just a fact that I play more Indie titles than AAA titles. Darkest Dungeon, Project Zomboid, Neoscavenger, 7 Days to Die, and Starbound/Terraria are all really excellent titles and I've found nothing like any of them being published/created by AAA developers.
05/04/2015 10:22 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
You know, I like indie, but putting Goat simulator in the examples just killed it for me.
05/04/2015 7:10 am
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Lacuna Corporation
Jex_Infinite
Ab AeternoStuff about how legit I am.

It seems basic, and I'm not going to buy it, but it's a good entry point. Once the team improves, I might consider future titles.

Unfortunately we couldn't fit everything into the trailer since we wanted to keep it short, but we have a lot more to show. We're trying to keep everything as far away form basic as possible. For example, we have a crime system where, instead of having sheriffs chasing after you if you kill someone, you can hide the body, plant or destroy evidence, and use other sneaky tactics to avoid paying for your crimes. The opposite applies, too- if you are trying to catch the criminals in your town, you'll have to use real-life detective skills to uncovers the perp. We're still working on all of this, but we'll be releasing further trailers to show this system in full.
05/04/2015 7:05 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
Ab AeternoStuff about how legit I am.

It seems basic, and I'm not going to buy it, but it's a good entry point. Once the team improves, I might consider future titles.
05/04/2015 7:02 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
I like good games. If the game is good, I will play it. If it's not good, I won't. I do have preferences (RPGs, really immersive games, excellent soundtracks to accompany the heart-shattering story), but I'll play a racing game (least favourite genre) if it's good.
05/04/2015 6:52 am
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Lacuna Corporation
I'm an indie game developer (an actual developer, not a 10 year old who has a copy of gamemaker), and I of course love the genre. I run a team of 6 staff, and today we released our official launch trailer. To show you what indie games can really look like, please take a look at our trailer below. It's only 1 minute long, but it shows you a lot of content.

[yt]4MJGte8V56k[/yt]

As for early access, we're going to be entering into early access, but we're going to be doing it properly. Too many indie games release into early access with a game which only has enough content to play it for 10 minutes before you run out of stuff to do, or games which are so buggy that you just can't play them full stop.

The only difference between indie game studios and AAA studios is money. Most (if not all) triple A studios started out by building a successful indie game, and then used the profits from that to create another. They just kept doing this, using the money to hire better and better staff, and to build more powerful engines.
04/30/2015 8:58 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Ludicrous
The only flaw in indie games is one huge thing, and one huge thing only.

Early Access.

Many people has lost faith in indie games due to early access ruining their experience in whole, and most of the time, people don't give the genre a second chance. But like most people said, every now and then, a game comes around and blows us away. But not too frequently sadly.

While for Triple A games, the thing that ruins them is high expectations. Gamers tends to see the game to be at a certain height of greatness. But, the moment it doesn't reach the bar, the game's audience is quickly split into two, haters and loyalists. A good example is Mortal Kombat X. Apparently, on the first few days, there were still bugs on it, most notibly the recording bug that made PC users that wanted to play angry, which is not a good sign for a game (although no offense the game is doing good now). Most of the time, game companies forces the game to come out too early, thus the bugs.

There's other reasons why Triple A games tends to be bad (Day One DLCs that are just bad, not listening to their player's comments on the game like youtubers, etc.), but I won't delve into that unless I have to.

I mostly listen to the Co-optional Podcast, they talk about this a lot
05/01/2015 7:51 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
To be honest, I think Minecraft made the idea of "Early Access" popular. Minecraft Alpha was soooooooo popular, and many indie games are doing the same, hoping for massive popularity.
05/04/2015 4:12 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Ludicrous
But the people using Early Access these days aren't even doing it right. Do I dare mention the 'Stomping Lands' incident. Many devs just opens their game for early access, then once they get enough money, they just leave the game and run with the money (mind you, this does not always happen, but when they do, sigh).
04/30/2015 8:49 am
Level 29 : Expert Princess
Hollask
Indie games tend to be far more creative and have wonderful concwpts. Onthe other hand triple A games have the budget to push for new technical advancement and amazing graphics So I would say the two are hard to compare.
04/30/2015 8:37 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Imposter
Jewelman
I only like indie games more because they're more original and creative, most Triple A stuff is just FPS, FPS, FPS! Now, there ARE some original Triple A games like Portal, but in all honesty, I think indie games are 10x better overall.
04/30/2015 8:05 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Triple A games are good, you can't deny that. They're made by big companies that have great developers, graphics designers, music creators etc. Every AAA title would be good if it wasn't for a ton of DLCs though. Don't think that there are not good AAA game developers anymore though (Valve, Rockstar etc).

On the other hand, indie games seem more appealing (to most people) when compared to AAA titles at the moment because of frequent updates, developers caring about their customers (points at EA and Ubisoft) and the lack of massive amounts of DLCs. Most indie games also bring an original story and concept, things that MOST AAA titles lack.

I still like AAA titles more than indie games. Maybe because I've been gaming since
I was 3 years old and I'm used to playing games from Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Valve, Square Enix etc. Indie developers just don't seem appealing to me.
04/30/2015 7:52 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
YTCereal
I Like Both

Isaac is on my wish list
and Goat Simulator
and Gta v my fav game

Cod is my second fav
04/30/2015 7:46 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Lad
Fred
I like both