[Update]Is this okay?

Blaciate100C's Avatar Blaciate100C6/5/19 5:46 am history
6/11/2019 3:33 am
Blaciate100C's Avatar Blaciate100C

Scroll down to see the update.

STORY

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I found this website because it featured my latest project. At first, I though it was gonna be an article/review about my project. NOPE

It's just literally my project's pictures with my old description. Like this:

I tried downloading my own project there to see if its real. I got to this page:

The Premium download concern me because I created the project for FREE and I don't see how this support the mods creator when it's the uploader's name is bolded, not the author. Also I get popup ads when clicking on it :P

So, I downloaded the "project" and the contents is same as mine except it has extra notepad talking about the website. I was wondering if it's okay to redistribute project in this method? Asking for opinions.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: But first,

I would like to say thanks to Nighthearted, ScotsMiser, Geforce and The Weaker One for giving me insights on reposting sites and copyright law. Also thanks to Vampaa for suggestions & anonpmc1572080 for the effort to help with my problem. Lastly, thanks bhfdh for answering the question and Heroder55 for trying to insert a gif? I don't know if its helping the problem but I'm just giving shoutout anyway, Heroder55 :p

GOOD NEWS! Sort of...

Yesterday, I sent an email to the site hoping they would either take down the project or edit the project. Although they don't reply back, I noticed that they do linked the Author to the my PMC profile :D However, they still use the modified zip file(notepad ads is still there) and my old description(maybe my instructions wasn't clear enough xD). Maybe if I give them a proper download host(like Media Fire) then they might change the download like so no one had to go through ads or Premium downloads. Just to be clear, I'm not interested to sue the site and I think the admin refuse to take down my project. Maybe I keep requesting them to change the project(like description, giving credits) until I'm satisfied. What do you think?

Also here's their email I used to contact the site involved: modslineofficial@gmail.com
Blaciate100C
Level 53 : Grandmaster Nether Knight

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/11/2019 3:33 am
Blaciate100C
Can anyone check on that site to see if the download option is there? I just check on the site and the download button doesn't appear to me🤔
06/07/2019 7:04 am
Level 20 : Expert Miner
anonpmc1572080
[deleted]
06/06/2019 9:03 am
Level 41 : Master Magical Boy
The Weaker One
These people used a site to not only repost but also earn money from downloads. Not only that, but they broke the rules of THAT site, being you can only post video game mods ( im pretty sure projects dont count ).
06/06/2019 7:08 am
anonpmc1572080
[deleted]
06/06/2019 7:56 am
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
"I'm starting to think this website was made by an 8 year old with the help of his mom or something."

The art of intransigence is harder than you might think: this sort of thing can be designed to boost page hits and ad views (and may be used for phishing).
Making it technically possible (but prohibitively difficult) to comment or contact the site, particularly where even a rudamentary scan would likely have flagged your comment (use of words like 'sue' 'take…down' 'warning') is another way of extending the life of such a site.

My guess would be that quite a bit of skill and effort (if no great knowledge of English) went into the design of this website.

I applaud your effort, but hold no real hope anything but a proper C&D from the owner of the content would be likely to precipitate action. [The C&D would likely need to be on the letterhead of a legal firm, for that matter…]
06/06/2019 6:53 am
anonpmc1572080
[deleted]
06/07/2019 1:05 am
Blaciate100C
Seems they don't want to take down my project(cuz they think its gorgeous). However, they do listen to one of my request which is linking the creator to my PMC profile :)
06/06/2019 6:00 amhistory
ScotsMiser
Unfortunate that this happened to you, but glad you are publicising the issue…
Short answer: No, it is not right.

Long[er] answer:
Formally, you have probably [legal disclaimer] been the victim of copyright infringement.

As a practical matter, the time and expense to pursue the matter legally is very likely to exceed any damages you could claim.

Unless you have registered the copyright[s] (a process that requires filing forms and paying money) you would [as of my last information] be limited to collecting 'actual damages'.

You may be certain that the site involved has a competent legal team as a sunk cost.
(I don't know that particular site, but a quick check confirmed that the TOS page includes "Copyrighted material [sic] are also strictly prohibited." so it is likely you would be unable to sue the site itself. The person who uploaded your work is unlikely to have sufficiently 'deep pockets' to be worth suing even if they live in a jurisdiction that honors US copyright [or other Berne convention country] laws.)

Having had similar situations arise in a number of other creative communities with which I have been associated, the general conclusion was that the best course was to:
► share the offending sites (thus [hopefully] decreasing their profit),
► tag your images ("Build by Blaciate100C first posting at >site name< ), and
► treat the thefts as flattery of your skills.
[Not as satisfying as paupering the offender[s], but often the best solution possible departs greatly from the best possible solution.]
06/06/2019 9:03 am
Blaciate100C
Thanks for the insight and the suggestion! I'm not planning to sue the site nor the person involved because I dont know much how legal process work. This is the first time I encounter the situation. Hence, I made the tread asking if its right or wrong. I'm looking for possible solutions such as what you said in conclusion. I'll keep that in mind when I make future content:. :)
06/06/2019 9:24 am
ScotsMiser
Something else I thought of:

One might include a 'signature' within the build in the form of a signed book (placed either in an item frame or a container).
This would give space to include a fair amount of information about the build: made by whom, when, for what (eg. for the Preversving World Heritage contest at planetminecraft.com Spring 2019) and anything else one might wish.

Unless the reposter… <_< thief was willing to download. alter the map, and reupload (unlikely in my experience) anyone who did download the piece and explore it would be made aware of the authorship.

Again, by no means a perfect solution, but something….
[Contest judges might want to make clear that including this (possibly under some limits) would not be considered during judging.
Where the judging is intended to be 'blind' contestants might be asked to provide two versions: one anonymous for judging, the other tagged and to be posted at the end of the contest.]
06/06/2019 10:06 am
Blaciate100C
Well... the site has already changed the download file. Plus they copy my old description where I forgot to put the link to the contest. That would bring the people here. If only I was quick enough to change my description.
06/05/2019 12:46 pmhistory
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Modder
Geforce
These type of websites steal content creators' work and make money off of them. They don't care about any type of licensing or anything that you attach to your project, they're going to steal it anyway. And the kicker is that they sometimes attach malware to their "mod" downloads as well. Free money for them and infecting users' PCs in the process. Lovely.
06/06/2019 1:40 am
Blaciate100C
Malware are the worst part. I feel bad for people who just want to look into builds but had to deal with these infection. They might blame the content creator who had no idea that their project has been modified and reposted. Wish there's a way to tell people that there's a legit malware-free download option here. But then again, I'm cant edit my own "project" on that site nor at least leave a comment there :p
06/05/2019 9:38 am
Level 34 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
bhfdh
Wait, this is illegal
06/06/2019 3:29 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Cake
Heroder55
*insert FBI destroying house with axes*
06/06/2019 8:39 am
Level 34 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
bhfdh
Yea boiiii
06/05/2019 6:55 am
Level 49 : Master Batman
Vampaa
And in the case of wanting taken down, you should get in contact with any website admin or creators.
06/05/2019 11:06 am
Blaciate100C
Yeah, I just send them an email. Now waiting for their response.
06/05/2019 6:16 amhistory
Level 72 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Nighthearted
These are bad sites that repost mods and projects without the creators' permission in order to get ad revenue from site visits. They are basically stealing people's hard work and earning money off of it. You can learn more about this at StopModReposts. You may be able to take down the reposted project by issuing a DMCA takedown against them, but this is an involved legal process and it may or may not be worth your time. The unfortunate reality is that these scummy sites will do nothing to listen to you unless you issue serious legal action against them.

Edit: And get yourself an adblocker extension. The internet is much better without ads :)
06/05/2019 9:07 am
Blaciate100C
Thanks for clarification! I updated my project to warn others about these sites.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome