Making torches more realistic

HoboMaggot's Avatar HoboMaggot6/20/21 8:18 am history
6/23/2021 7:21 am
HoboMaggot's Avatar HoboMaggot
Im planning to make a datapack where torches are more realistic like real life. Here are the features I currently have:
  • Torches are time-limited and will burn out after 30 minutes (toggleable)
  • There will be a glowstone dust substitutes that'll make infinite duration torches
  • Before the torch fully burns out it will turn into a "stick" (lever) and will produce a dim light
  • The burnt out torches can be relit using fire charges/flint and steel
  • The non-infinite torches will extinguish in the rain
  • Sticks will turn into (time-limited, if the previous option is toggled) torches when you right click it on campfires/lava/fire blocks (Also toggleable)

Anyone have any other ideas other than warmth and dynamic lighting?
Will also be bumping each day for a week
HoboMaggot
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/22/2021 8:47 amhistory
Level 32 : Artisan Geek
Hamilton 33
You need Flint and steel to light it
06/22/2021 8:33 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
06/22/2021 9:20 pm
HoboMaggot
Whats the point of a torches block though? A normal torch already outputs the maximum block light
06/22/2021 4:15 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Birb
lloyddominic26
Light a torch by right-clicking a lava.
06/22/2021 4:22 am
HoboMaggot
Already stated that in the description
06/22/2021 4:14 am
lloyddominic26
Make it so that when it is raining, the torch will burn out.
06/22/2021 4:21 am
HoboMaggot
nice idea. Im going to put that in
06/22/2021 7:24 am
lloyddominic26
Also make it so that when the player got struck by a lightning (or near the lightning's x radius), then the torch would be 🔥 lit 🔥.
06/22/2021 8:37 am
HoboMaggot
More like the torch will existnt.
But I should probably turn torches into fireblocks when lightning strikes near it
06/21/2021 9:39 pmhistory
Level 29 : Expert uwu
Micro666hamWasTaken
make it so when torch go out u need to re-light it by having flint & steel and when u place it down u have to light them
06/22/2021 3:49 am
HoboMaggot
Already stated that the torches will be relit with flint and steel, however lighting sticks when you place them down would be too hard on people starting out in their world
06/22/2021 6:50 am
Level 29 : Expert uwu
Micro666hamWasTaken
ok, maybe in hardcore that will only happen or make it togglable in video settings or something
06/21/2021 6:12 am
Level 46 : Master Nerd
KrissieFox1
I quite like the idea of this datapack, I think it would add an interesting challenge as well as a feeling of suspense and fear to caving if you had to worry about maintaining your torches.
06/21/2021 3:26 am
HoboMaggot
reserved for bump
06/23/2021 7:21 am
HoboMaggot
bump 1
06/20/2021 6:45 pm
Level 26 : Expert Sus
Lightspeed_PMC
omg thank you!! this is awesomesauce they actually burn out so realistic
06/20/2021 10:29 am
Level 39 : Artisan Artist
Drumdero
Love this idea. Maybe being able to extinguish a torch on purpose? like if you were holding it and wanted to put it out. Also maybe a lit torch in your hand could also relight extinguished torches. Would be cool if lanterns were toggleable too.
06/20/2021 6:32 pmhistory
HoboMaggot
What actions would you suggest to snuff the torch out and relight it? Relighting especially in the really early game where u dont have flint and steels/fire charges.
Also I don't think you can edit the lighting of lanterns, as its probably hardcoded into the game.

I would like also to limit the difficulty of torches to outside the minecraft inventory (I mean the player inventory is super unrealistic so might as well, with all those buckets/e golden apples so might as well), so while they're good ideas and realistic, I dont think anyone would like them if they have to manually relit them after going out underwater ISeeGoodStuff
An example of this is Terraria, where the dynamic lighting of torches disappears underwater, but the torch item itself is unchanged. However, my datapack wont have dynamic lighting
06/21/2021 7:31 pm
Drumdero
My knowledge of datapacks is pretty limited. I actually just made my first custom item datapack yesterday and learned a lot about how limiting but also how cool datapacks could be. After learning what little I know, my suggestions probably are not possible or would be very difficult. The terraria example would be a good workaround i suppose but if you're not going to use dynamic lighting is there going to be a way for the torch to give off light in the players hand? I guess the player could just use optifine for that though. Regardless i really like the idea. Is it actually possible to make torches burn out or would you have to just create a new torch item?
06/21/2021 9:27 pm
HoboMaggot
I was originally planning to make torch blocks burn out, but not the item.
And other than light blocks and the optifine, there isnt any proper workaround for dynamic lighting
06/20/2021 10:15 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Vampire
ISeeGoodStuff
How about if you as a player gets fully submerged underwater (when you start holding your breath) the torch that you are holding gets extinguished
06/20/2021 10:30 am
Drumdero
Yeah! and maybe the same would happen if you fall too deep into powdered snow. Or in the rain there's a higher chance of the torch going extinguished.
06/20/2021 9:20 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
MJ_mcMaster
nice idea!
if possible maybe some suggestion features?
being able to place sticks (maybe you added it)
some torches burning the whole stick
instead of warmth, how about stuff like if you write in a book and quill near a torch, you get regeneration since it is also good to write/read in bright places and even has stuff to do with health (this one makes NO SENSE tho)

nice data pack anyway, i could barely make one
06/21/2021 3:25 am
HoboMaggot
Ill keep being able to place dead sticks in mind, but imo torches burning the whole stick wont work because in the minecraft torches, you're actually burning the coal (hence the vanilla torch recipe)
06/21/2021 5:18 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lego Builder
MJ_mcMaster
true
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome