forum Forumsplay_arrow Discussions fiber_manual_record General

Minecraft has come to a point where you can't be safe.

12 emeralds78 replies907 views
created 03/21/2019 7:51 am by Geeri
last reply 03/28/2019 3:53 am
Hey there!
Today at 9:43 AM three guys made an application to the server I'm playing on. They seemed like they'd fit in the community of the server so I added them to the whitelist. I had a feeling they were up to something so I got into spectator mode and checked what they were up to. They were just doing all the basic survival steps, went out from spawn, chopped some trees, got some basic tools. When I saw that I thought everything was fine and I can go and do my things in real life.
When I came back few hours later I got spammed by few of our community members telling me and the other staff members to come and help. Spawn was completely ruined. We have an awesome big spawn town with shops, and areas when we can trade and hang out. All of this was built in survival with no Admin powers interfering, yet these men thought it'd be funny if they just destroyed this beautiful piece of art. (It took months to make.)
We have a plugin that allows us to check every single block in the world and even roll the damage back. When we got on the server we banned two of them knowing what they did. The third one pretended to be innocent. Later on I asked him why he'd do such a thing and he denied every single word I said.
I'm just interested. Why do these people exist? Have you ever done anything like this before? If so, why? I'm not going to judge any of you and you shouldn't either. I'm just trying to understand the "reasons" they had.

I'm sorry for my English and for the rushed post but I'm so upset.
Thank you for reading and please help me I have no idea why would anyone do such a thing.

One of the builds that got griefed:
Before:

After:

Random build they did:

Posted by avatar
Geeri
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer

78 replies

03/27/2019 11:08 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Dragon
Kord
I am so very sorry that you experienced this kind of stuff...yet it surprises me in no way whatsoever. Honestly? My whole reason for becoming active here on PMC lately is because I have just about zero given up on the kind of people I see floating through servers anymore, and I am a HUGE Minecraft enthusiast yet feel that about 90% of the garbage players drifting through public servers anymore happen to be there for nothing but chaos like the type you describe. The poeple here on PMC truly love Minecraft for reasons other than being *insert crude insult here* sorts...so I've been very happy to focus my time here and on my personal whitelisted server now (to whom only 2 friends have been added and ever will be added) with little attention at all to the places that I know are infested with vermin like the type who destroyed your spawn.
03/28/2019 3:53 am
Geeri
First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply! Do you mean most people here never did such a bad thing because only the core of the good players come here mostly? Yes that was something I should have kept in mine while posting. Although on other community forums such as Hypixel's the community is toxic too just like these sad griefers. I would have only got answers like: "why u whitelist em" which isn't an answer to my question at all.
03/27/2019 5:58 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
ItzWulf
Dang man I hate that so much. And the fact y'all made it all in survival?? Horrible, but I'm glad you could roll it all back and good luck man!
03/28/2019 3:49 am
Geeri
Thank you!:D
03/27/2019 3:56 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
BratzeliStudios
Look at anarchy servers. They are literally 100% griefers screwing with each other. Of course, anarchy players are hardened griefers that would backdoor the server just to blow someone's base up, but the point is there.

There will always be people who can only find happiness in causing pain. Having controlled the emotion myself(it can be hard), the only thing I can tell you is that they just haven't found a creative outlet.

Even if one finds an outlet, there will still be graffiti artists -- those who have mastered the art of griefing and now do it not because it hurts others, but because it brings them joy to see their creation, or destruction, succeed.

For instance, the weaponized flying machines on 2b2t -- those are amazing creations that took hours on end of intelligence to create, but they were used to cause pain.

Just be wary of those who gain your trust to the point you'd leave your child with them, and then stab you in the back like you're pond scum. Those are worse.
03/27/2019 10:57 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Demolitionist
busterdogtnt
2B2T motto
trust no one
03/24/2019 8:04 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Skinner
Sir_Craftypants
So I'm new to this game and it's my Son who's got me into it, he's 6 so I'm teaching him how to use a computer at the same time as Minecraft. I'm creating a world for him and his Cousins but it's advancing so well that I want to host the world for all players, with that said this situation is a concern and I'm a novice as far as running a server goes so have a random question if you don't mind.

Is there a way to prevent things created by the host from being destroyed by anyone other than the host, whilst permitting visiting players to create and destroy each others creations whenever? Forgive my lack of Minecraft knowledge.
03/25/2019 3:27 am
Geeri
If the server is public you can always just do "/whitelist on". If its not so you are playing on a LAN server with your Son its fine, nobody else can access that.
03/25/2019 7:06 am
Sir_Craftypants
Sorry, what I mean is, is there a way to make a Minecraft Server public to all but, restrict the ability to destroy the host creators creations so that only the host creator can destroy said creations?
03/25/2019 7:26 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
edy_the_boss
Yes! Alot of ways :) The best way is to use World Guard! restrict plaayers without permission to build there, or alot of faction plugins where you can "Claim" Your land. but the best is World Guard! Have fun :) and it's imple to host, use a site like Fluctis hosting or GGservers!
03/25/2019 7:31 am
Sir_Craftypants
Thanks you, appreciated.
03/25/2019 10:43 am
Geeri
Yes these are solutions, not here though.
03/24/2019 6:52 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Toast
Boriedashi
There are just toxic, destructive, plain evil people out there and it sucks. Last week my town got robbed and griefed by 2 people we thought we could trust. And when we questioned them, they said "In our opinion minecraft is just minecraft"
03/25/2019 3:25 am
Geeri
Sorry to hear.
03/24/2019 6:28 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
DraggyPigeons
I blew up half a house on a private server, long story :(

But if you want to be safe, you--

--i forgot what I was going to say.
03/25/2019 3:24 am
Geeri
Nice.
03/23/2019 5:23 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Warrior
spaceblade9
my question is why did none of your staff members ban them before they started destroying your spawn?
03/24/2019 4:06 am
Geeri
It's a small staff team with 4 active members. Two of them are busy most of the times and I was too at the time this happened.
03/23/2019 11:35 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Archer
Kwanatla
Yes, I always ask myself why people do things like that. There's nothing in it for anyone (except maybe a bit of fun for them? I wouldn't know).
03/24/2019 4:06 am
Geeri
Fun.. yes..
03/24/2019 5:08 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Archer
Kwanatla
ik
03/24/2019 4:12 am
Geeri
Updates:
- World Guard as of right now isn't a solution.
- Staff members were all busy at the time this happened.
- The thing is, most new players were all fine.
03/23/2019 7:26 pm
Level 20 : Expert Dragon
xia
i'm sorry this happened to you. :/
03/24/2019 4:07 am
Geeri
Don't be, not your fault and nothing happened really.
03/23/2019 5:44 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Rebooted34
RE: Minecraft has come to a point where you can't be safe.

I guess there are a few questions I would have to start off with before I respond to your questions. For starters, yeah, pretty lame of people to grief people's hard work especially if it were against the rules. From my understanding, you don't use world guard on spawn? Simple plugins can fix the problems that you encounter. Likewise, server owners should know about plugins. I'd love to help you if you needed it because sometimes the plugins and process can be confusing. Now, the title of your piece is pretty misleading. "Minecraft has come to a point where you can't be safe." Not sure I understand where the safety of a user is in the hands of a griefer... but maybe the toxicity of certain players puts users in-game property at risk sure.

Why do those people exist? If they were anything like me, noticing that the server doesn't have proper protection protocol is just an open invite to have fun my way. People love breaking rules and it's anonymous. It's a small server so people don't see it as a big deal.

Have you ever done this? Of course I have, I run an Anarchy server, it's part of the process. Even in non-anarchy servers, I have had my fair share of having my own type of fun.

Overall: I suggest making sure server owners secure their server. A few plugins can drastically reduce your stress that you and your players encounter. Especially in a "community" server, it's important to protect your community properly instead of waiting for something to happen. I can understand the frustration but you have to pick up on the mistakes to further your knowledge on how to deal with the bad players.

-Rebooted
03/24/2019 4:10 am
Geeri
Thank you for taking the time to write that I really appreciate it.
Although nearly all of you said the plugin World Guard which I thought I knew. I still don't understand. So. Spawn is made by players and it keeps expanding. We can't make a region called "Spawn" or whatever then give it a flag which denies every block breaking / placing event. As I said this is a player built spawn.
03/24/2019 4:07 pm
Rebooted34
At the same time, make two categories of members on your server. The default user maybe is the rank that you give everyone for their first month, After that, they get "trusted" and added to the group that can build at spawn. Don't restrict yourself from protecting yourself just because you want everyone to have building access.
03/25/2019 3:24 am
Geeri
That's an idea for sure.
03/25/2019 6:18 pm
Rebooted34
And in no way did I mean to criticize, I am truly sorry if it came off that way. It's just super important as a server owner to know about what you need to do to protect your server.
03/23/2019 5:29 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Architect
Hegemony
Thing is there are always assholes in life, and it only takes one to ruin things, while I admire your decision to go survival and give new players the benefit of the doubt, it just takes one to screw things up
03/23/2019 1:47 pm
Level 29 : Expert Grump
Marjory
That obsidian build ain't just a lump of obsidian and a smiley. I'm pretty sure its "Something else".

But people tend to grief because A- its fun for them. and B- They either don't like the server, or hate something about it or C- They are just jealous about you.
03/23/2019 1:53 pm
Geeri
I know, I just put it there so you guys could see what level of stupidity these guys had.
03/22/2019 4:09 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Fish
CHorse
No, it's always been like that :L
03/22/2019 4:14 pm
Geeri
:(
03/22/2019 3:03 pm
Level 28 : Expert Spider Rider
InfamousArgyle
Some people have gotten bored of minecraft, and/or are of an age where its uncool to like a "kids game" (it isnt but still) and only pick it up once in a blue moon to grief with their friends who are also "too cool" for the game. You should always expect people like this and have measures in place to prevent it. People have been trying to grief my server since 2013 so it's not a new problem. As long as there are and were multiplayer games, people will try to grief. You definitely need worldguard or some other method of grief prevention (like Residence or Towny) because you can't just read an application and tell that someone isn't going to grief you.
03/22/2019 3:13 pm
Geeri
Yeah I get that now. Why do people keep saying World Guard? I thought I knew that plugin pretty well... The problem is that its a player built spawn, and we can't just remove the block breaking function of players.. They keep expanding, upgrading it. Is there a solution to that in World Guard? We have other plugins though.
03/22/2019 9:59 pm
InfamousArgyle
There definitely is. There are ways in worldguard to add people as "members" to a region, so you can just add players to be able to build there after a certain amount of time and you've sort of gotten to know them and found that you can trust them enough. It's a good way to protect your builds so that you can build cooperatively with less risk.
03/23/2019 4:49 am
Geeri
Alright.. We do things such as pranks. It'd be impossible to fool a staff member for example. Also if bad people can do this, they could ask for permission too. They'd just play as a normal player and when they have the opportunity they'd ruin the server.
03/23/2019 1:32 pm
InfamousArgyle
That's something you always run the risk of tbh. However, waiting a certain period of time for people to gain your trust weeds out most offenders simply because many griefers aren't patient enough to wait around on a server to do so and just want to get access quick, grief, then leave. Unfortunately there isn't just one foolproof solution, the way many things in life are...
03/22/2019 8:09 pm
Level 1 : New Skinner
shoe_theif
this is just horrible.
03/23/2019 4:47 am
Geeri
Yes it is.. I guess I'm just naive
03/21/2019 12:17 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Engineer
ShelLuser
So there's something I don't understand...

You added them to the whitelist and moments later they destroyed spawn? That makes me wonder why you're not running WorldGuard or maybe GriefPrevention while adding admin sections?

But yeah, some people are simply jerks, plain and simple. Which is why I would never run a server without WorldGuard and/or GriefPrevention.
03/21/2019 12:45 pm
Geeri
I wrote that down underneath your comment:
"This is a survival server as I wrote in the post, nothing needs to be protected. We do have LWC but spawn is player made so we can't protect it. And if we would, they'd find something else to ruin. The point of the post wasn't this. Thanks."
03/21/2019 12:58 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Engineer
ShelLuser
It was, in my opinion anyway. You literally wrote: "Please help me", which I did :)

Consider installing WorldGuard and using that to protect buildings you value. Or be more careful with the players who allow access to your server.

Anything beyond that is, once again in my opinion, a waste of time. Don't bother exploring the "why", sometimes even the offenders themselves can't answer that, instead you should be exploring the "how"; how to prevent this from happening. In my opinion your users deserve no less.

No offense but... I think you should straighten our your priorities here.
03/21/2019 1:36 pm
Geeri
"Why"
Is the point of the post. The server is fine and we don't need or even we can't use such a plugin.
03/21/2019 1:20 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Explorer
ShastaGaming16
Unfortunately, there's a TON of these jerks(I could say another word for this, but it would be reported) all across the Minecraft community. As a few other PMC users said, the people who are responsible for this significant damage won't give a good answer on why they did it. If you're asking me, they want attention and they have some sort of joy out of destroying an individual's hard work.

I do recommend to using WorldGuard to protect your community's builds. If you still don't want to add that, it's all fine and good. The best thing you can do is ban them, roll back the builds, and move on from it. If they did manage to come back, IP ban them. It goes for all griefers that may come onto your server in the future.
03/21/2019 1:37 pm
Geeri
Thank you!
03/21/2019 9:09 am
Level 48 : Master Dinosaur
DinowCookie
There can be various motives. Some people just find it fun to see other people's misery. Others do it out of revenge or disagreement with either server staff or other server members... It's a shame that these kind of things happen, but on the other hand it is great that there are plug-ins available to help us protect our servers against mess-makers like this. I'm glad you were able to restore your server spawn. 😊
03/21/2019 9:15 am
Geeri
Yes I was thinking the same, checked IP's and everything. They are not previously banned players being salty, and none of our members seem to know who they are.
03/21/2019 9:26 am
Level 48 : Master Dinosaur
DinowCookie
Must've just been the kind of people who simply enjoy making a mess for the sake of it. ;-;

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome