Minecraft Model Editor

McHorse's Avatar McHorse9/3/16 3:39 pm
10/2/2016 2:52 pm
McHorse's Avatar McHorse
Hello there!

I'm developing a model editor for my mod, so people could use custom models instead of only one that is provided with mod. This model editor is web based (web app).

It's called McME. It's capable of manipulating minecraft-like boxy model and texture that is mapped to the model. There's lots of features, but most of them are really basic. Full list of features are covered in release ToDo list.

There might be some bugs in the code, so if you this app does something unexpected (or otherwise app doesn't do something expected), could you provide a way to reproduce the error or at least provide the error message (see error console in your browser). Thanks!

Some screenshots:

By the way, you can create simple renders with this model editor of your models. I'm going to use this feature a lot (for my youtube video thumbnails). Before that, I used my other web app, it's way simpler.

So, what do you think about this app?
McHorse
Level 71 : Legendary Unicorn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/02/2016 2:52 pm
McHorse
I created a video tutorial for this model editor, which shows how to create custom model for Blockbuster mod:

[yt]V9n1xeIewN0[/yt]
09/23/2016 3:24 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
tobbestark
Wow, this actually looks really amazing. Hope to see more from this
09/27/2016 1:05 pm
McHorse
Thanks!

Another update, I finally finished with a machinima that uses custom models:

[yt]Q-IdY4VsMFk[/yt]

This is the first machinima that uses custom models from my mod (unless somebody already using bleeding edge build of my mod ). In the middle of the machinima, there's acting sheep, and somewhere toward the end, there is a puny remake of squid model
09/23/2016 1:40 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
craftykids
This looks really cool! I might actually use the mod at some point because this is something that I've wanted to do in the past.
09/23/2016 12:51 pm
Level 40 : Master Droid
Scott
What are you using to render it? Three.js or other system?
09/23/2016 12:35 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
minecraftboy3129
How would i import my skin?
09/23/2016 1:57 pm
McHorse
In the texture editor (right part of the screen), there's a cog button in the right top corner, click it, and there would be a "Import skin" button

What are you using to render it? Three.js or other system?

Yes, I'm using Three.js. It's amazing library if you don't want to get involved with raw WebGL (which is harder to learn and use)

This looks really cool! I might actually use the mod at some point because this is something that I've wanted to do in the past.

Thanks

I'm thinking that this mod can be used not only for creating machinimas, but also as some aesthetic mod that allows players to morph themselves. This might be used in some funny ideas like animal SkyWars or something like gmod's props hunt where people would disguise themselves into different blocks and drive hunters nuts

P.S.: I didn't finished with the update, I'm in middle of testing and as soon I'll be done with testing, I'll finish update ToDo list and create create change log and "how to create custom models" videos
09/05/2016 2:28 pm
Level 49 : Master Creeper Hugger
Cookiesz
It looks really good imo, nice job!
09/06/2016 3:05 am
McHorse
Thanks!

The update for mod is coming really soon. The models are working, but there some stuff left to finish before releasing. Also, I have a specific iteration process in which I:

1. Write code for update to work
2. Make a pre release and a machinima that previews the update
3. Fix bugs or add small features that would be helpful for final release
4. Make video tutorial for update, if somehing goes wrong during video tutorial, I fix it and then continue doing it

This iteration process makes every release almost error and bug-proof.
09/05/2016 2:19 pm
McHorse
I made a quick demo video which shows approximate result you'll get in the game from using this model editor:

[yt]Ejad8wrVstM[/yt]
09/03/2016 4:19 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
What models will it export as?
Also, how will you make this mod multiplayer compatible?
09/23/2016 12:23 pm
McHorse
If you still interested in how it is implemented, I implementd it and there's an explanation:

So, every player that joins the server (dedicated or intergrated), server sends JSON models and skins, for those models, when a player logs in. Then client uses those downloaded data from server to render actors. If you play at LAN, host's models and skins are being sent too.

This is really hardcoded, and probably would be a bad idea to use my mod on servers with such functionality, however, I'm planning to improve this, by adding GUI for managing resources and upload them to server, configuration and stuff.
09/03/2016 5:11 pm
McHorse
As JSON text file. Scheme is described in source code repository.

About multiplayer, would you like to know techincal details or brief explanation?

Edit: the mod itself is actually aimed mostly on single player, because its job is to aid users creating machinimas without involving other people.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome