Need help with making some unique vampyres for a story

Prince Oceanus's Avatar Prince Oceanus2/9/17 5:59 pm
2 emeralds 426 7
2/10/2017 11:13 am
Karrfis's Avatar Karrfis
As the title might suggest, I'm requiring some help in order to make some unique vampyres for a book I'm writing with some friends called The Story. It takes place in a world where there's both 'modern' (and by that I mean Industrial Revolution Era) technology and magic. Only one area has the Industrial Revolution feel to it, while the others are inspired by things such as the myth of Atlantis, TESV: Skyrim, Roman culture, and many fantasy-genre settings.

However, while working on a combined Herbology and Bestiary for this world, I ran across a problem with one of the creatures in the lore that will be expanded upon in other books (known as the Sidequests): Vampyres. I've looked around and there's not much in the way of unique vampyre stuff, as they all seem basically the same (and also with lots of sparkles -cringe-). So I've decided to ask for some help from this community, as I know a lot of writers are on here as well that know a thing or two about lore-writing and such.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Peace, love, and tridents!
~Ocean
Prince Oceanus
Level 52 : Grandmaster Prince

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/10/2017 11:13 am
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
if you hit me up with a pm or something, last year i got a book for my birthday which is about 200 pages of vampire origins throughout mythology and stories, it goes all the way back to slavic religion, get you some extracts if you're interested
02/09/2017 11:08 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Cid_of_Lufenia
Well I would personally consult the World of Darkness series by Mark Rein-Hagen it's concept of the numerous vampire clans (all with different history, abilities and philosophies involved) for unique vampires.

I would also recommend putting into consideration questions such as, What is the reason vampires drink blood?, How is vampirism contracted?, Can vampirism be easily spotted in an individual?, Can vampirism be cured? and lastly how does vampirism impact the world it is in?

As someone who has written fantasy stories myself I am interested in helping the world-building of this fantasy world and am willing to offer more suggestions!
02/09/2017 10:24 pm
Prince Oceanus
Thanks, will definitely look at these.
02/09/2017 7:35 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Artist
ParadoxMM
Vampires only need one thing: to be blood suckers. To be honest, the legend of vampires goes back quite a ways and has many unique versions in different cultures. I would suggest watching this video for some inspiration and insight into the roots of vampires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ThKRmySoU
02/09/2017 7:13 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
Well, first remove anything that sparkles from your vampires. If I were you, I would stick to Pre-Twilight Vampire Rules.
But now that we have that out of the way, I would like to offer some help in your vampire design. Creating mythical beasts is one of my favorite things to do. However, I will require you tell me at least a faint outline of what you want me to create. If this step is skipped, you will end up with a monster that does not fit your story at all. So when you come up with that, I'll build you a beast.
02/09/2017 8:11 pm
Prince Oceanus
Well, I was going more along the lines of Skyrim's vampyres, since I'm assuming that not all of the vampyres that the characters in The Story will face during that particular Sidequest will be Human, and will more than likely be mixed in with the rest of the several other races we've made for The Story: Tigris (bipedal tigers), Duine (elf-like humanoids), Ursave (winged bears that live in the sky), Freta (amphibious humanoids that live in Atlantis), Dwerg (dwarf-like, disfigured demons that live inside the mountains), Harenam (red-haired, yellow-eyed humanoids that live underground in a desert), and Gnom (tiny gnomes that live in really tall trees). I've done some Skins of these races on my profile page, if you need any reference materials.

I want a creature that doesn't really follow the rules that vampyres usually follow, more of a misunderstood group like the way vampyres are portrayed in the manga Chibi Vampire, rather than the stereotypical "I-vant-to-suck-your-blood-blublublu" ones you see a lot more often, but the fact of the matter is that I'm not that great at changing vampyres as I am with changing werewolves. I definitely agree that the vampires should not be inexplicably sparkly (never read Twilight saga and don't ever plan to, so if someone could just ELI5 that would be great), but there should be at least an amount of defining features that make vampyres distinguishable from non-vampyres.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome