Poll: Do you think that young men aged 17, 18, and 19 are being infantilized like they are children, or do you believe that they are children?

Alex__'s Avatar Alex__5/23/18 10:24 pm
6/8/2018 6:36 am
anonpmc792389's Avatar anonpmc792389
Please explain your opinion in relative detail.
Alex__
Level 1 : New Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/08/2018 6:36 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc792389
[deleted]
05/27/2018 2:51 pmhistory
Level 24 : Expert Artist
raisa
Don't understand completely and I can't go around being like everyone is like this or something, but some people are ridiculously immature and some people are mature and understand. Seen kids that age go get themselves high on all sorts of crap or go get dragged by some random truck and get up in a wheelchair for the rest of their life. Some just live their lives, make rational enough decisions, study, hang out with friends, etc. I just clicked yes because as a 17 and 18 y/o, you are still in school most likely and therefore are, "children." (Might be wrong on that.)
05/26/2018 10:47 pmhistory
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
I'm sorry but your poll does not match your question. It would be very irresponsible of me to make such a huge generalization.
It depends to an extreme extent on the person and the way they are raised.
At age 17 I was quite mature for my age, but still not exactly a model adult. I was quite hot-headed, for instance, and easy to provoke.
I've met and heard about people my current age (22) that act like they're children, and met 16/17-y olds that could pass for a babyfaced adult in their manners. As I said, it hugely varies, and a poll like this will not really give you any useful answers.
Age 16 or 17 is when most people need to start being confronted with the responsibilities of becoming an adult, but most of them will not be ready to bear the burden in its entirety.
It took me at least 3 years to become a semblance of a functional adult after leaving house, though I had some additional challenges to overcome that I'll not go into detail about.
05/25/2018 4:20 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Artist
piglover6349
men are boys at any age
05/24/2018 4:39 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer
BartTheBart
or question with yes or no options
05/24/2018 3:16 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I can't say Yes, or No because I know that everyone is different, therefore pointing this out is really hard.

But! I'm a curios person so I dug a bit :D
Personally I would start by generalizing all the young men I know: I'm 18 and have a lot of friends who are either 17, 18 or 19. For the most part my friends are quite mature (As in we act like adults all the time. Best example is that we all think that "parties" is a thing that you only did when you were a kid. Now we see Parties as a waste of time. Our party is Jazz concerts :p ), and we do like to play around but not like kids. I'm at the Danish Royale School of Music / Det Danske Musik Konventorium and our "playing around" is jamming as a band.
But I know they me and my friends are (compared to others I know) quite different from the others our age. We don't drink, we don't party, we all have the same hate for people, and we're all introverts. Considering that on a global scale Extroverts make up about 50-74% (Link here to see the stats) of all people, and Extroverts are usually the ones we see. The once who express themselves to others on the street, thus giving the image that boys between 17-19 are more childish.

Talking about them being infantilized... I wouldn't say that. I believe most of them act Childish because they know they ain't going to be young forever, but that they still want to be threated as adults.
It's a hard topic to talk about because you can't get an accurate answer, even if you generalize it's still not going to make a perfect answer considering all boys (And all people) are different.
05/24/2018 11:50 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
In many ways, people that age are still children. Very few people I've known have anything in the way of emotional maturity at that age. That's also the age that many people have really crucial responsibilities to take care of too and everyone handles that differently.

Everyone is different though and feeling infantilized while you're an otherwise responsible, intelligent young person can feel extremely demeaning. Sometimes it takes a good conversation with whomever is responsible to explain that they want to be treated as an adult and that they feel it's no longer appropriate that they be treated as a child.
05/24/2018 11:26 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
HbTextures
Years ago I thought, "If I became 18, I would finally be and feel like an adult!"

Well, as it turns out, I still feel like a child, but older and slightly less stupid. Is this how this whole adult thing works? I'm confused through and through.
05/24/2018 10:09 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Too extreme for a question that highly depends on the individual. In my mind, it highly depends on who specifically you are talking about. Some deserve it and some do not, and in any case, legally I'd call all 17 year olds children however technical the term is.

However, some 17 year olds are more mature than others. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
05/24/2018 7:03 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Warrior
PartumCreed
Two questions & choices are "yes" & "no". 😕
I don't know which stands for which.
05/27/2018 3:04 am
Level 1 : New Miner
drives_a_ford
Exactly. The questions posed is "This or that?" not "This?". Therefore the choices for an answer really don't make a lot of sense.
05/24/2018 12:48 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Lad
Spy Jay
I like this question, but there is no direct yes or no answer in reality.

Technically people of this age are not children based on the amount of responsibility they are supposed to have compared to actual children (<15,) but they have not 100% let go of their immaturity to keep the fun that they are used to having since they understood what entertainment was. This does not mean they are immature in a way that should be considered children, but this doesn't mean that they are considerable as certified adults either. I didn't vote, but my first statement still stands. There is no real answer.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome