PSA: Backup Your Skype Contacts!

elfin8er's Avatar elfin8er1/12/15 4:50 am
1 emeralds 258
Earlier today, I was in a Skype call, when my phone died. I charged up my phone, and tried logging into Skype and it said my account was suspended. A popup then appeared on my computer also saying that my account was suspended, and I was unable to login to Skype.

During the time while my account was suspended, I was really scared I wasn't going to be able to get everything back. Some of my best friends were on my Skype account, and that was the only way for me to contact them. Loosing my Skype account would be loosing all of my friends.

Luckily, I was able to get my account back, and since then, I've backed up my Skype contacts. I'd recommend those who have many Skype contacts do the same. Suspended Skype accounts aren't always recoverable. If you ever loose access to your Skype account, you'll still have all of your friends saved to file, which you can import into another Skype account.

Backing up your contacts is simple. In Skype, go to Contacts -> Advanced -> Backup Contacts to File. From there, choose a destination to save your contact list. I'd then recommend backing up this file somewhere safe online. That way, whatever happens, you can always have your Skype contacts safe. Even if Skype gets shut down for whatever reason, you can still have your contacts phone numbers saved

If you ever have to restore your contacts from the file that you've created, navigate to Contacts -> Advanced -> Restore Contacts from File. Hopefully this will help somebody out in the future in case they loose their account access.
elfin8er
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter