forum Forumsplay_arrow Discussions fiber_manual_record General

A U.S. Rant: Why can't younger people get jobs?

1 emerald50 replies1,088 views
created 08/28/2014 10:40 pm by Kickbuttkaleb12
last reply 09/06/2014 11:33 pm
I'm sure this will end in flame but I want to bring up something that I seem to only recognize. Young people(in the U.S.) can't get jobs like at Walmart or any official store or something. I'm sure they have laws about it but everyone including kids should have a source of money. If you are like me, then you have tons of ideas but only one BIG thing stands in your way, money. I don't get allowance I get the right of living and I just feel a little offended that I can't go and get a job somewhere to save for a new game. Well there is entrepreneurship and stuff but I feel younger people should have a way to get money or be included. It is like social exclusion except in society. xD. I'm not looking for any flame or fights just I want your opinion in the subject.

EDIT: I think this was slightly misunderstood. What I mean is a summer job when people don't have to be study.
Posted by avatar
Kickbuttkaleb12
Level 22 : Expert Modder

50 replies

09/06/2014 11:33 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Narwhal
coltensplat
I'm 15, in 10th grade. Here in Minnesota, the legal age of employment is 14. I don't know about you, but most people need transportation. Most people, myself included, drive to work. Besides the point, it would be kind of awkward having a 11 or 12 year old handling my order at the McDonald's drive thru. In fact, most places here won't even hire if you're under 15 or 16.
09/04/2014 8:11 pm
Level 23 : Expert Archer
Jetra
In most places these days, there's so much red tape to avoid lawsuits that it's better to just outright deny them working. I know here in Chicago, you can't just go knock on a door and ask to walk your neighbor's dog out of nowhere. There are several dog walking companies that get hired out to do that sort of thing, are authorized to do so along with who knows what else (Actually got to talk to someone who does this, it's pretty much like babysitting agencies)

Back when I was younger, babysitting pretty much involved a bored teen, a weekend, and making sure the kid didn't hurt themselves as well as went to bed on time. Now, you need a course in behavior study, child psychology, first aid, nutrition, and soo many other things along with giant disclaimers in case the child does end up injured.

Basically, they just want to avoid fines hiring under 17 in most cases. However, by me, there's a lot of high school students working at McDonald's, so...
08/29/2014 9:25 am
Level 34 : Artisan Modder
Calm_Hawk
pokemonboy21
datmoedoeI'm sure you've heard these before, but I'll list them anyways
Get a Paper Route
I have one now and it is great! It pays $60-$80 a month, depending on the amount of flyers in each paper. That's just enough to buy a game every month Also its a little bit of physical exercise which is always good and its only twice a week.
Walk Dogs
Walk Dogs. Get $$$
Babysitting
Make the kid some popcorn. Sit them infront of a TV and whoooosh the night is over and you got your money.

that guy is the worst baby siter ever, though he is better than many parents
That's not how it works lol
08/29/2014 8:59 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
DuskRaine
SasukeUchiha2214
ChaosExpertBecause you're supposed to focus on education so you can get a great job, instead of working at McDonalds and getting paid minimum wage.

^

And @OP, if your under the age of 14, don't even think about this idea. You are obviously just a kid that is mad his parents wont buy him something.

Uhh.. Thats not true, i'm under 14 and My Parents haven't bought me something that i wanted other than a holiday/special occasion. I have always bought my own stuff, Because I save money. I really dont want a job, i'm better off without one for now, I just dont like it how "Kids" Dont get any respect.

PS. If your 12 and over you can legally babysit, just saying. And im over 12, thank you very much.
08/29/2014 8:46 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrthus
because thats how the world works
08/29/2014 7:51 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Hunter
bigf
Two words

Stress
Inexperienced
08/29/2014 6:39 am
Level 92 : Overlord Fish
FiskFille
I'm just gonna say one thing:
Young != Inexperienced
08/29/2014 9:17 am
Calm_Hawk
ha, ha, true, and I love Java
08/29/2014 7:27 am
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Button Pusher
Ash
Young generally means inexperienced. That's why it's a generalization. While it's true that not every young person is inexperienced, the vast majority are. That's just how life is; it's a learning experience.

When it comes down to the end of the line, young people aren't suited for most jobs, which is why there are laws based on age and who can work. Laws aren't there to stop people from having fun, getting money and buying what they want. They're there to stop exploitation and to keep people safe.
I wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone younger than 18 working where I do; it's unsafe for kids to be running around a truck yard. Just as it is unsafe for younger people to be working at WalMart (or whatever it is where ever you are) or other casual jobs often reserved for people a little older.
08/29/2014 5:10 am
Level 38 : Artisan Spider Rider
SpiderMatty
*facepalm* I think we are good without 6 year olds in every Walmart
08/29/2014 5:35 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Artist
Morneite
"hello sir can you please tell me where the toilet paper section is?"
"L0L N00B G0 G00GLE IT N00B"
08/29/2014 5:08 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
datmoedoe
I'm sure you've heard these before, but I'll list them anyways
Get a Paper Route
I have one now and it is great! It pays $60-$80 a month, depending on the amount of flyers in each paper. That's just enough to buy a game every month Also its a little bit of physical exercise which is always good and its only twice a week.
Walk Dogs
Walk Dogs. Get $$$
Babysitting
Make the kid some popcorn. Sit them infront of a TV and whoooosh the night is over and you got your money.
08/29/2014 7:41 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
MatronixPVP
That's not how it works lol
08/29/2014 4:00 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
Well, that means you could as an adult just pump out babies and make them work for you?
08/29/2014 9:20 am
Calm_Hawk
UMMM, wat???
08/29/2014 3:34 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Lumberjack
Playful
You should look into summer internships! The only one I know of currently is the Youth Conservation Corps (Website here: http://www.nps.gov/gettinginvolved/yout ... ms/ycc.htm) I think they take on kids as young as fourteen, and you get like a thousand bucks - probably more now - a month for two months. You have to be in pretty good shape to do the a lot of the outdoor work, but there are a lot of fun activities included that you get paid for. Although it isn't the most conveniently timed work opportunities, it really is a rewarding and useful experience so you don't fall into the employment paradox of being unable to be hired for a job because of lack of experience, but then not being able to find anyone willing to give you experience.experience.
08/29/2014 1:46 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
You can do unofficial jobs like maybe you could ask for parents, neighbors, or friend's parents for some pay to help with work around the house assuming you don't already do that. Also you could try to make money online though most places will not let a younger person open say a paypal (people still do anyway). Or there is always asking for money for christmas/your birthday. If you are crafty you could always sell homemade things online or at craftshows though I hear it's not very profitable.

Another good tip if you don't have much is to save up money and not spend it on trivial things. (I saved like over 200 dollars just by doing this when I was younger)
08/29/2014 12:29 am
Level 21 : Expert Zombie
Goku_LSSJ
Satisfaction of a real job???

and making bank helping older people has no satisfaction?
08/29/2014 12:24 am
Level 34 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
(In Massachusetts) You can get jobs at 16... That's still pretty young. It's 16, not only because of child labor laws, but partially because you can't get a drivers license until you're 16. If you don't have personal methods of transport then you can't have reliable work hours, because it would be based on someone else's schedule instead of yours.

And even if you could walk to the place, other children your age wouldn't be able to walk to it, so they wouldn't be hired, and would complain about other kids his/her age having jobs, but they don't. The amount of complaints would annoy the business owners and the state's government, so they made it an age where everyone is eligible for personal transport.
08/29/2014 12:16 am
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Button Pusher
Ash
As someone who started working at 14, and now several years later is working full time 7 - 5 weekdays, working sucks. I'd would have rather not have the money than the stress of a job.

And then, when you get older, all of your money either goes to rent or bills
08/29/2014 12:11 am
Level 41 : Master Architect
CascadianX
Younger people aren't looked to for hiring because they have no prior experience. Who knows how you are suppose to get some if you don't have a chance, they also look for 19-25 year olds for jobs at which the average younger 15-18 year old would be looking for, because 19-25 year olds are priority for college funds and etc.

I also find it that no one wants to deal with the endless approval process for the younger ones below the age of 18.

I worked my first job as a web developer and still do to this day.

I had a side job at McDonalds for two weeks and it absolutely sucked and never want to do it again in my life.
08/29/2014 12:22 am
Kickbuttkaleb12
Some jobs don't require prior knowledge, those are the jobs I'm trying to recognize. Also I learned from a cousin that if I could get a job at a fast food place I like but was bad for me, to work there cause you wouldn't want to work there xD
08/29/2014 12:10 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Max123786
I agree. What I actually do is I sell stuff I do online, like GFX art or animated Intros. I do it on this very forums, on the server parts. It can get you some nice cash if you're good at it.
08/28/2014 11:29 pm
Level 26 : Expert Architect
PizzaPenguin_
You're a kid. Kids should have fun. Play games. Go to a park. Go over to a friend's house. You don't need to be worried about racking up cash as a kid.

If you really care about it that much, go mow some lawns, babysit, or something else of that nature.

Technically you can get a job at some fast food restaurants at 14, but they usually won't hire at that age.
08/29/2014 12:08 am
Kickbuttkaleb12
I'm weird and am always thinking ahead instead of now. Always planning instead of enjoying That doesn't mean I don't enjoy just want to have a good amount of money to start my life. I hope everyone can understand.
08/29/2014 12:11 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Max123786
I agree, and at points, I just have fun doing what I do to make money, because I usually do it in a way that I enjoy working.
08/28/2014 11:15 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Taco
Duckgod
I'm kinda sure you should send an e-mail to the government instead of the PMC forums.
08/29/2014 12:02 am
Kickbuttkaleb12
I like to hear what others have on this before doing that.
08/28/2014 11:11 pm
Level 28 : Expert Artist
TheCartoonHero
Kickbuttkaleb12I'm sure this will end in flame but I want to bring up something that I seem to only recognize. Young people(in the U.S.) can't get jobs like at Walmart or any official store or something. I'm sure they have laws about it but everyone including kids should have a source of money. If you are like me, then you have tons of ideas but only one BIG thing stands in your way, money. I don't get allowance I get the right of living and I just feel a little offended that I can't go and get a job somewhere to save for a new game. Well there is entrepreneurship and stuff but I feel younger people should have a way to get money or be included. It is like social exclusion except in society. xD. I'm not looking for any flame or fights just I want your opinion in the subject.

EDIT: I think this was slightly misunderstood. What I mean is a summer job when people don't have to be study.

i agree
08/28/2014 11:11 pm
Goku_LSSJ
GG50
Goku_LSSJeasy job at a retailer

Such a thing exists?!

well easier then mowing laws for hours on end...especially in the summer

but its a rewarding life experience and you can get paid BANK
Like I'm saying 200$'s a day if you work hard enough
08/28/2014 11:08 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Toast
GG50
Goku_LSSJeasy job at a retailer

Such a thing exists?!
08/28/2014 11:05 pm
Goku_LSSJ
you can work retail and restaurant at 14 you can work at private businesses at 12
you can mow lawns and rake leafs at any age you want! Magic huh

your argument is also invalid because the choices of the age is up to the retailer

tbh I think your just lazy and want some easy job at a retailer
08/29/2014 12:04 am
Kickbuttkaleb12
1) While the retailer may be choosing the age limit they have a specific age group they have to pick from.

2) There is a difference from laziness and the satisfaction of having an official job, so I can know that I'm helping officially in some way.
08/28/2014 11:02 pm
Level 26 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
If you are looking for some money, you can do "unofficial jobs" like babysitting or mowing lawns for neighbors. I find mowing lawns can bring in some good money without that long of a job. However, you would have to have a lawnmower + gas + other lawn supplies to do this. So babysitting might be better. Or, you could offer to rake people's leaves from their lawn come fall. You might get say 5 bucks or so by raking up a lawn.
08/28/2014 11:01 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Mostly because people are living longer and people are being born faster. It's kind of grim but people work longer so there's less opportunity for younger people to get jobs.
08/28/2014 10:57 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
funny bunny
I don't understand how you could rant about this. Time as a child should be spent having fun and playing with your friends, not worrying about who is going to hire you. When you grow older, such as 17 or 18 then you should be worrying about that, childhood is about learning and having fun, not working 8-9 hour shifts.
08/28/2014 10:59 pm
Kickbuttkaleb12
Guess I'm a rare breed of person then
08/28/2014 10:54 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
HaemstrLSX
Younger people are usually more immature. I'm twelve and make a lot of money online with bitcoin mining and botting PrimeDice, it's not too hard.

It's the same thing with staff on Minecraft servers. If you're younger than 13 they probably won't accept you unless you can prove your maturity.
08/28/2014 10:51 pm
Level 24 : Expert Network
-Kali-
Many ways to earn money. I had a friend who was 10 (but he's a genius, already learning pre calc and advanced physics blahaha) and he earned a couple grand off stocks
08/29/2014 8:45 am
Level 1 : New Toast
hexagonalpotato
You wouldn't really make any money off of stocks until your 18
You would have to have a parent or guardian sign the account in their name or use an UGMA account until your 18 then you would get the money

I probably said alot of stuff wrong xD idk
08/28/2014 10:47 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
53MP3RF1
While I feel like you have a valid point in saying that everyone should have an income, ChaosExpert is right. As a child, you should focus on learning rather than working. Many of the child labor laws we have today are put in place because people took advantage of the system, forcing children to work for less than minimum wage and basically working them to death. Today, however, if you have a low-income family, it is possible to apply for a worker's permit, which allows you to work and get paid in order to help supplement your family's income. However, if you need to apply for a work permit, I would think you should be concerned about keeping the lights on in your home and getting food on the table rather than Battlefield 5 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4, or whatever the newest ones are (I've lost count, there are too many). What I'd suggest is trying to get a summer job (although it's almost over for us here in the USA ) and save up money by babysitting on weekends, doing chores around the house, etc. You'll get there eventually, and saving up your money will teach you a valuable lesson when you finally get your game: saving is worth it.
08/28/2014 10:46 pm
Kickbuttkaleb12
I understand education is important but I mean like a summer job when you actually have time.
08/28/2014 10:49 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
Depends on where you want to work, your age, and how you look.

Desk jobs are out of the question.

Retail and fast food? Maybe. Depends if you look mature and not have the look like you're eight years old. People don't really respond well to younglings serving them their Filet O' Fish. Also the past history of child labor prevents some companies from hiring.
08/28/2014 10:44 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
ChaosExpertBecause you're supposed to focus on education so you can get a great job.

Sometimes education is working a job. Because say if you want to learn how to do IT work one of the best ways to learn is on the job experience.
08/28/2014 10:44 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Get a work permit and you can get a job. Younger people aren't allowed to work without one to prevent child labor. Education is important
08/28/2014 10:43 pm
Level 26 : Expert Pirate
HassanPCMR
ChaosExpertBecause you're supposed to focus on education so you can get a great job, instead of working at McDonalds and getting paid minimum wage.

^

And @OP, if your under the age of 14, don't even think about this idea. You are obviously just a kid that is mad his parents wont buy him something.
08/28/2014 10:43 pm
Level 44 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Probably because you (most likely) can't drive...? And what Chaos said.
08/28/2014 10:42 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Ladybug
McJackson3180
I have a job and I'm 15
08/28/2014 10:42 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
Because you're supposed to focus on education so you can get a great job, instead of working at McDonalds and getting paid minimum wage.

When I was younger, I realized that education is more important than working, to a point, as jobs do take time.
08/29/2014 9:14 am
Calm_Hawk
no, no, no, that is not why, it is to prevent child labor, and often managers don't trust a kid, and most of the time they shouldn't. and soon working a t Mc.Donalds the rest of you life and getting paid minimum wage will be more than enogh, with Obama president, soon minimum wage will be $16.00
ps. I don't like Obama

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome