So am I overthinking this? Tell me please! :)

SpookyButtz's Avatar SpookyButtz5/24/18 1:56 pm history
1 emeralds 244 3
5/25/2018 12:31 pm
SpookyButtz's Avatar SpookyButtz
" Cold in my professions, warm in ⟨my⟩ friendships, I wish, my Dear Laurens, it m⟨ight⟩ be in my power, by action rather than words, ⟨to⟩ convince you that I love you. I shall only tell you that ’till you bade us Adieu, I hardly knew the value you had taught my heart to set upon you. Indeed, my friend, it was not well done. You know the opinion I entertain of mankind, and how much it is my desire to preserve myself free from particular attachments, and to keep my happiness independent on the caprice of others. You sh⟨ould⟩ not have taken advantage of my sensibility to ste⟨al⟩ into my affections without my consent. But as you have done it and as we are generally indulgent to those we love, I shall not scruple to pardon the fraud you have committed, on condition that for my sake, if not for your own, you will always continue to merit the partiality, which
you have so artfully instilled into ⟨me⟩."

From Alexander Hamilton to Lieutenant Colonel John Laurens, [April 1779],” Founders Online, National Archives, last modified April 12, 2018, founders.archives.gov/documents/Hamilton/01-02-02-0100. [Original source: i]The Papers of Alexander Hamilton[/i], vol. 2, 1779–1781, ed. Harold C. Syrett. New York: Columbia University Press, 1961, pp. 34–38.]
https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Hamilton/01-02-02-0100

So what do you think of this? Am I over thinking that they are in love? I'll post in the replies if there's something else I find supporting the fact that they were probably in some secret love relationship. :) thank you!
SpookyButtz
Level 22 : Expert Birb