The biggest threat to civilization today.

Zemor's Avatar Zemor4/29/13 6:35 pm
4/29/2013 9:42 pm
TinyKender's Avatar TinyKender
What do you think is the largest threat to civilization, specifically USA?

To me personally, it would be terrorism and jihad. If sharia law works its way into modern countries, it would have devastating effects.

inb4 libtards and global warming
Zemor
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/29/2013 9:42 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Pixel Painter
TinyKender
The largest threat to civilization is ignorance. That's all
04/29/2013 9:41 pm
Zemor
Find Them CreepersThe biggest threat to ourselves, is, in fact, ourselves.
You see, The Human race is a violent one. We destroy nature without a second thought, create powerful weapons to obliterate our enemies, kill each other for no good reason.

That being said, I think our biggest issue today is Nuclear Annihilation. Of course, most people think this wouldn't happen; But think about it. We've had Nuclear weapons for well over 70 years now, and most countries know how to build/have built them. Again, that being said, they are meant to destroy our enemies, and it all comes back down to Human nature. We're just violent and we can't help it.

I would imagine that the fear of obliterating each other is what will keep us from nuking each other.
04/29/2013 9:39 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
The biggest threat to ourselves, is, in fact, ourselves.
You see, The Human race is a violent one. We destroy nature without a second thought, create powerful weapons to obliterate our enemies, kill each other for no good reason.

That being said, I think our biggest issue today is Nuclear Annihilation. Of course, most people think this wouldn't happen; But think about it. We've had Nuclear weapons for well over 70 years now, and most countries know how to build/have built them. Again, that being said, they are meant to destroy our enemies and deter our rivals, and it all comes back down to Human nature. We're just violent and we can't help it.
04/29/2013 9:30 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
xRuthless
I think North Korea is......Just joking xD
04/29/2013 9:23 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
biggest threat? Keyboard warriors. nuff said
04/29/2013 9:24 pm
Zemor
"lol u dont agree with me so your a feg"

"my epeen is over 9000"

"everybody sucks just go die in a hole"
04/29/2013 9:16 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
As others said, I think the biggest threat is nuclear war. North Korea and Iraq have already threatened use with nuclear bombing; which we are desparately trying to prevent. Syria's uprising is also a major threat. People think Syria may be a country where Al Kaeda can control.

*Fun fact: If you split any atom, voila, nuclear bomb*
04/29/2013 9:18 pm
Zemor
An intervention is needed in Syria, yet military action could bring harsh consequences.

North Korean technology is too far away from achieving that goal. I don't pay attention much to Iran.

The Middle East is a hellhole and everyone knows it.
04/29/2013 9:11 pm
Zemor
Woody239Here's a quick simulation.
-snip-

All out nuclear warfare would be devastating.

TrigonometryWe will be the destruction of ourselves, the world, and any hope of surviving.

A depressing truth.

"The only thing to fear is fear itself".
04/29/2013 8:41 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Here's a quick simulation.

N. Korea/Other terrorist/communist nations gets a long-range Nuclear missile. As they don't understand that the world cant survive a nuclear war, they will launch a nuke at the United States/Other democratic countries. The nuked country, along with its allies will respond by firing 5, 10, or so nukes at them. Their allies will join, fire even more at us. Allies of our allies will join in, fire missiles at all the allies of the communist/terrorist nation, who will call their allies, and then it will be a chain reaction, the same of which started World War 1. A chain of alliances could result in a major war. In this case, it'll be with nukes. Therefore, tens of thousands of nukes will be shooting at everyone. All the land will be either completely wrecked, or unsuitable for life. Radiation will have completely contaminated the land, resulting in only a small area of land being suitable for life. There will be no previous records of writing, just the messages of the ancestors, and oral stories.
So then the Bible would be told, of a coming "Savior" who will come in the future. The "Garden of Eden" is the contaminated area, and "Eve" will go and eat the food from it, to which she will get very sick, and realize what she's done. Then, yada yada yada, and then the "Savior" comes, who will suffer death. Then, yada yada yada, and it's 2013 of the world after the world. Which could have been the world after the world after the world after the world. Then, civilization will be once again destroyed by a nuclear war, all to which will start over again.
04/29/2013 8:27 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Architect
Trigonometry
We will be the destruction of ourselves, the world, and any hope of surviving.
04/29/2013 8:27 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
presmar
Honestly the jihads are just some un organized terrorists..
I think it could be two things

China
They have 1.5 BILLION people....there is 7 billion folks in the world....3.4 million are in america

USA
Most likely our own stupidity will be the death of us.
04/29/2013 8:22 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Engineer
Rawwk
The "Swag" Nation.
04/29/2013 8:18 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
ChrisL
Zemor
Over 20,700 jihad attacks since 9/11. That is only by one group. Dozens of people are blown to bits by suicide attacks everyday.

Yet most of these happen in countries other than the US, usually unstable ones. Suicide has more yearly deaths within the US than 20,000. Terrorism is still a terrible thing and should be stopped, but not the worst problem to ever happen to the human race. Overreacting to terrorism is what causes the loss of freedom, not terrorism itself.
04/29/2013 8:15 pm
Level 47 : Master Lad
Doggle
I think it could either be terrorism or intelligence. Terrorism is a big thing, and the lack of intelligence of society is too an issue. George W. Bush tricked the entirety of the U.S. to go to the Iraq and Iran wars, so imagine what a single man could do with that power, they could trick the entire nation to killing themselves. The lack of knowledge about a situation, you have to trust someone, and a leader such as a president could do such a thing. But terrorism wouldn't be too much of a threat to billions of people, as there wouldn't be enough people to kill billions unless they manage to get their hands on nuclear weapons.
04/29/2013 8:14 pm
Level 46 : Master Blockhead
SilverKytten
Zemor
SilverKytten
ZemorNatural things, mostly, can't be prevented. We shouldn't really focus on it.

Yet! ;D We just have to wait a few [maybe a lot more than a few] years, for the military/government/secret agencies for natural disaster prevention get everything working.

ZemorI see what you're getting at. I won't bring it up as it would be too controversial.

Which is why I didn't go into too much detail. If only PMC had an older age group...

Or a more mature userbase.

Ehh.. Even if they were as mature as they possibly could be, that wouldn't mean they would really understand what's being talked about.

Cid_of_LufeniaDubstep........just kidding it's probably something horrible and overt and nobody will see it coming at all but when then do they will know where they went wrong and that it could not be anything else.

Death by Dubstep?

I'm ok with that..
04/29/2013 8:06 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Cid_of_Lufenia
Dubstep........just kidding it's probably something horrible and overt and nobody will see it coming at all but when then do they will know where they went wrong and that it could not be anything else.
04/29/2013 8:02 pm
Zemor
SilverKytten
ZemorNatural things, mostly, can't be prevented. We shouldn't really focus on it.

Yet! ;D We just have to wait a few [maybe a lot more than a few] years, for the military/government/secret agencies for natural disaster prevention get everything working.

ZemorI see what you're getting at. I won't bring it up as it would be too controversial.

Which is why I didn't go into too much detail. If only PMC had an older age group...

Or a more mature userbase.
04/29/2013 8:01 pm
SilverKytten

04/29/2013 7:44 pm
SilverKytten
It really depends on what you construe as a threat. To me? Low intelligence is a major threat. All of the "Well, everyone else is doing it, so that means it's ok for me to do it, too" attitudes are going to be (And have already started becoming) a serious issue.

Honestly, the only thing that frightens me about terrorism, are the people who don't understand what terrorism really is, why it happens, or the consequences of it. (OTHER than the deaths and injuries.)

It would be very, very simple to completely stop all forms of terrorism, but in order to do that, people would have to give up a HUGE amount of frivolities and rights. Most of the people who want terrorism to stop are also the people who are opposed to things like the full body scanner, at airports.
04/29/2013 7:08 pm
ChrisL
The biggest threat would have to be something natural... terrorism hasn't really killed that many people compared to anything significant, like cancer. Yellowstone National Park, which is an active super volcano, would pretty much destroy the USA if/when it erupts, and the Earth would go through a massive extinction event. In my knowledge that would be the biggest threat besides asteroids or some other space thing. Sorry if that's a downer, but it's not like there's a way to escape it anyways. Also, global warming is proven, though the correct term is climate change(though it isn't expected to be as bad as some predict, and it isn't really that dangerous since it's rather slow)-please don't try to degrade human intelligence.
04/29/2013 7:53 pm
Zemor
Over 20,700 jihad attacks since 9/11. That is only by one group. Dozens of people are blown to bits by suicide attacks everyday.

I don't see climate change as a large enough threat at the moment.

Natural things, mostly, can't be prevented. We shouldn't really focus on it.

HypoLiizethis is PMC, not the world forums.

"Everything Else"

SilverKyttenIt really depends on what you construe as a threat. To me? Low intelligence is a major threat. All of the "Well, everyone else is doing it, so that means it's ok for me to do it, too" attitudes are going to be (And have already started becoming) a serious issue.

Honestly, the only thing that frightens me about terrorism, are the people who don't understand what terrorism really is, why it happens, or the consequences of it. (OTHER than the deaths and injuries.)

It would be very, very simple to completely stop all forms of terrorism, but in order to do that, people would have to give up a HUGE amount of frivolities and rights. Most of the people who want terrorism to stop are also the people who are opposed to things like the full body scanner, at airports.

I see what you're getting at. I won't bring it up as it would be too controversial.
04/29/2013 7:36 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Blacksmith
SkyTechKid
If someone dies by nature, you may thing to yourself, "What could I do? There's no way stopping what happened.."

However, if you die by another person, you feel betrayed by the human race. Being killed by another person does more damage mentally than dying by a disease.
04/29/2013 7:44 pm
ChrisL
That's quite true, though nature still has more power for devastation than fellow humans. The psychological effects of terrorism are powerful enough to harm society, but terrorism still is no where near powerful enough to destroy civilization.
04/29/2013 7:02 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
Schrooms Craft
The Human Race
04/29/2013 8:18 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Pirate
Lightning393
This.

Edit:
And the fact that we do awful things to one another; don't forget the fact that ethics are slower developing than nearly anything in the world.
Buildings collapse every day, killing anywhere from tens to hundreds
Sweatshops and human trafficking runs rampant
All sorts of abuse abuse (sposal, child abuse, etc.)
The environment, nature
War, corrupt governments, gang violence, drugs.

We're honestly on a self-destructive path, if you ask me.

Anyhow, why's this on PMC?
04/29/2013 7:01 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Blacksmith
SkyTechKid
The most we have to fear about is people in our country.

For they can manipulate us, hurt us, and attack us.
04/29/2013 6:49 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Elitesquad1000
Ok mom.
04/29/2013 6:43 pm
Level 26 : Expert Geek
tmplumber
HypoLiizethis is fucking PMC, not fuck the world forums.

I detect a rage war...

Don't spam elite -_-
04/29/2013 6:41 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Mage
19dshriver
Yes, terror and the fact that our country is going downhill.
04/29/2013 6:39 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
meymazda
I feel the same, but this might be too much of a controversial topic.

inb4locked
04/29/2013 6:40 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Dragon
HypoLiize
Feel the same about what I said?
04/29/2013 6:41 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
meymazda
I replied to the topic, not your swear-filled post which will likely get you banned.
04/29/2013 6:38 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Dragon
HypoLiize
this is PMC, not the world forums.
04/29/2013 8:06 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
Quaellen_Wins
It's a bloody social networking site if you didnt know that.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome