Things that ruin games

LetsGoTrippin's Avatar LetsGoTrippin5/13/15 5:48 pm
1 emeralds 1.2k 38
5/15/2015 8:42 pm
LetsGoTrippin's Avatar LetsGoTrippin
Hello, today I will be writing about things that ruin games. Since the title is pretty self-explanatory, let's get down to buisness.

1. Glitches. These things are the worst. They interfere with the game's playability, and makes it useless. Sure, there are ones that are relatively pleasing, like the cat fountian in Minecraft and the bouncing carriage in Red Dead Redemption, but most of the time...they suck.

2. Boring/Confusing/Nonexistant storylines. Story is a big thing in games, like books or movies. But without one, what is the point of making a game? Unless it has some other thing that makes up for it (like the building potential for Minecraft), stories should always be included.
A good example is FNaF. It's storyline is extremely confusing, as there is little to no story in it at all. Yes, FNaF fanboys and fangirls,you may say it does have a "storyline", but most of it came from Markiplier or The Game Theorists (and a tiny bit from the game itself), and in my book that isn't really a story. Also, to all the people theorising about Golden Freddy and worshipping Scott Cawthon as God on earth...

3. Useless characters. These are pretty commonplace in Action/Adventure games that have two players in singleplayer. But 95% of the time you're in Singleplayer, they are mind-numbingly stupid. They run into walls, walk off cliffs, don't help you in a fight, and so many other dishonarable things that would take an extremely long time to list in this post.

4. Bad AI. In FPS, RPGs and many other abbreviations enemies are a big thing. They run at you, trying to take away that one last life from you. But in certain games, the AI are just mind-numbingly stupid, running away from you to bump into a random dumpster in the back alley. Good for the characters, bad for you.

5. Difficulty. A perfect game needs to be balanced on difficulty. Not too easy, like a Lego game, or not too hard, like Dark Souls. This gives the game a good playthrough, and promises for replays. But when it is too easy, you feel like the game is not giving you enough challenge, and thus you get bored. If it is too hard, you will try and try again until you ragequit. So a decent game must have a mediocre difficulty, or else it will suck.

6. Graphics. Graphics effect how people percieve the characters, and how to make theirs look better. Without good graphics, you cannot tell the diffrence between a man and a hotdog.

What do you think makes a game terrible? Comment!
LetsGoTrippin
Level 37 : Artisan Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/15/2015 5:39 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragonborn
okoloto
???
05/15/2015 8:42 pm
LetsGoTrippin
The first guess you made in the orginal comment.
05/15/2015 1:00 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Prince
Prince Oceanus
05/15/2015 12:57 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
xXCrAcKiNpNuTXx

Btw check out the game No Mans Sky (anyone) it looks so epic

^ Vouched, is a great game indeed.
05/15/2015 12:47 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
Well there is a difference then being bad from the start and ruining your experience while playing the game. There are games that can just god awful when you start playing for the first time but since we're talking about things that ruin the game it'd definitely be the people who complain about other things ruining the game.
05/15/2015 12:49 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
xXCrAcKiNpNuTXx
truth,
Btw check out the game No Mans Sky (anyone) it looks so epic
05/15/2015 12:44 pm
xXCrAcKiNpNuTXx
Audible, with over 150,000 books!
05/15/2015 12:06 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
1. Glitches
It depends.
2. Storyline
Are we forgetting that Minecraft is literally kill a dragon and nothing happens? This only depends on what the game is trying to be. Also, I know the FNaF "The community sucks, it sucks, blah blah" but seriously. No story? You're pretty much listing things.
3. Useless Characters
*cough dark pit cough*
4. Bad AI.
Oh, dear me...
Creepers: Outsmarted by a three block high tower of dirt.
5. Difficulty.
Never found this as a problem. Most games have easy, medium, etc.
6. Graphics.
If you're really posting this on a Minecraft forum, you must have very low expectations.

I like your points, but I can only agree with Useless Characters and Glitches. It all depends on the game.
05/14/2015 9:45 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pokemon
Ramman1526
Konami.
05/14/2015 3:49 pm
okoloto
I disagree. Lego is the hardest thing on earth.
05/14/2015 5:34 pm
LetsGoTrippin
05/15/2015 4:35 pm
okoloto
What? I don't see it myself. Did I just make an unintentional pun that I don't understand or what?
05/15/2015 5:30 pm
LetsGoTrippin
The former.
05/14/2015 7:35 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
KingRex35
Gamers
05/14/2015 8:39 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
+PixelPirate+
Thank you, MatPat.
But anyway, Scott Cawthon, God? More like the anti-christ.
05/14/2015 3:06 pm
LetsGoTrippin
Well to some, he's god, and to others, he's the devil.

Here's Spock's opinion.

Why did you have to buy Star Trek, Disney?! WHYYYYYYYYYY
05/14/2015 7:24 am
Level 48 : Master Botanist
Sbia
why not "not being fun"
05/14/2015 7:09 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Kpfs
When Ea released The Sims 4 too buggy and glitchy even if you bought it like a month later now its fixed but i think that game was a bit rushed.
05/14/2015 7:11 am
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
05/14/2015 4:31 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Kpfs
i forget about that game.
05/14/2015 6:55 am
forgot about you
Ludicrous
Rushed Games, you'll have to wait for a patch first to actually play it properly.

*cough* FNAF FNAF *couh*
05/14/2015 12:54 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Ludicrous
Day One DLCs even when the game isn't good.

Rushed Games, you'll have to wait for a patch first to actually play it properly.

Bad Greenlighted Games, no, just no.

Day One: Gary's Incident
never buy it to make youtube videos of it.
05/14/2015 12:50 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
RenegadeRad
EA
05/14/2015 12:53 am
forgot about you
EA. So many things wrong. Soo many.
05/14/2015 12:30 am
forgot about you
when people dont follow the rules on a game that is really fun when you follow the rules, but it is so easy to break the rules.
05/14/2015 12:25 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Also idiots in TTT, I killed a traitor once and I was permanently banned for RDM'ing
05/13/2015 10:42 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Ubisoft
05/13/2015 10:56 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Kioki
Yep, they make a decent game like AC: Black Flag, and the sequel comes out months - 1 year later and remove all the fun aspects of Black Flag and because it's only been a couple of months/ a year many glitches and bugs will probably annoy you.
05/13/2015 9:39 pm
xXCrAcKiNpNuTXx
the millions of 5-12 year old squeakers who play and get mad when you win fair at pvp.... Gee what game am I talking about? (Hint, its in the website name...)
Also when you 360 no scupe RDM someone on TTT(Gmod) or TMT(Minecraft) and they're a traitor, then they call hacks
05/13/2015 9:32 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
LCD75
When a singleplayer or a multiplayer is shoved in, I can't count how many times this has impacted a game. Examples of games that didn't need multiplayer include Tomb Raider 2013 and an example of a game that didn't need single player is Battlefield 4.
05/13/2015 8:55 pm
Level 29 : Expert Princess
ItsMorgan
So, here I go.

1-Glitches are bad, yes. But I can stand them if they're not too game breaking. After all, I play Skyrim. Heavily modded. So, glitches ahoy.
But some glitches are good. Like in Civilization, with Big Red Button-happy Ghandi (You know, as in "Trigger Happy" and "Nukes". I'm funny like that)

2-Not all games need storyline. See Pong, Minecraft, Civilization.

3-I get what you're saying, but I don't think we really need to know the backstory of every grunt in Double Dragon.

4-Yes, I guess I agree. After a while, all the "Squishy archers attacking my Lvl 20 Sage" in Fire Emblem gets boring.

5-I have been called, and I quote, "A videogame masochist". I'm playing SMT: Nocturne on Hard difficulty. On my first playthrough. So I think you can already guess; I don't hate extreme difficulty. I revel in it.

6-Graphics are nice. Nothing is more satisfying than watching a Muton (X-COM) falling down a 3rd story building in all its gory glory. But the graphics don't make the game, Nidhogg and Minecraft are nice examples.

So that's it.

Cheers.
05/13/2015 7:59 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
1. Yes, glitches do kill the atmosphere of a game for me. In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter how stupid the game is supposed to be. Unless your game is advertised as a "glitch" game, which would probably sink quickly for other reasons, if it has tons of glitches or even a few big ones it just doesn't work. (second part aimed more at the first response)

2. Storyline is subjective on a game-by-game basis. You might as well call minecraft bad for its storyline. But yes, in a game where the storyline makes the foundation, a bad one or poorly presented/thought out one kills the mood.

3. Bit of a perspective thing, but there is a difference between making characters that fit and are well thought out vs just slapping them in there.

4. AI has a limit before it just isn't playable without facepalming. So I do agree there fully.

5. Difficulty lies on audience and intent. That said, some games can go too far in one way and become flat stupid. I don't think it's difficulty that is the problem as much as how it's presented. Well blended difficulty that you can get angry at yourself for not seeing as a possibility I find immensely better than difficulty of multiplying stats on a boss.

6. Graphics also depend on other things. You can have easily retro or "crappy" graphics that would lure me in while others would be disgusted simply because they look like work was spent into them. I would like to see someone complain about minecraft's graphics if taking into consideration the scheme and the theme of the game, kind of like hating on retro games for the graphics.

It's when the game has obviously sloppy graphics, and even worse when the maker tries to defend them.

What kills a game for me, besides considerations above, are horrible communities (I'm looking right at FNAF - the community is a primary reason) and developers that decide to slice games into pieces and sell them bit by bit (DLC). Part of the charm of minecraft is that you get it, and you're done paying. You don't even have to think about buying anything else to get gameplay components. Subscription games I don't like as well; there's a reason why I don't pay subscription games and have never been on one. I like to buy something and have it. If I wanted monthly payments I would upgrade my internet.
05/13/2015 7:46 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Dragon
Malaionus
Fred
PandaMCGames like Goat Sim are good with the glitches because it's supposed to be a silly game with silly stuff

Goat Simulator is not really a good example since, those are not really "glitches." OP is talking more about glitches that ruin the gameplay.

But for me things that ruin games are in-game purchases (pay-to-win) and confusing storylines, not in the sense of a complex one, but more of one that does not make any sense.

Good point. But they could still be considered glitches
05/13/2015 7:28 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Lad
Fred
PandaMCGames like Goat Sim are good with the glitches because it's supposed to be a silly game with silly stuff

Goat Simulator is not really a good example since, those are not really "glitches." OP is talking more about glitches that ruin the gameplay.

But for me things that ruin games are in-game purchases (pay-to-win) and confusing storylines, not in the sense of a complex one, but more of one that does not make any sense.
05/13/2015 6:09 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
05/13/2015 9:16 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hate DLC's. (Even though I have all of them on BF4 )
05/13/2015 6:03 pm
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Kickbuttkaleb12
When there are billions of fankids that annoy the crap out of everyone when they make it know 10,000 times that they like the game.
05/13/2015 5:57 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Dragon
Malaionus
I only agree with a few of these

Games like Goat Sim are good with the glitches because it's supposed to be a silly game with silly stuff

Story lines aren't needed in some games, like indie games (ex: Minecraft, Terraria, Goat Sim, etc)

I kind of agree with this, because what's the point of having a character if it won't do much?

Yeah, bad AI isn't good. NEXT

Some games add the difficulty for challenge, and some games do it well. And some add it because it's supposed to be (ex: Unfair Mario, Hyphen)

Graphics aren't all that important, but it helps. Though some games do it on purpose.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome