Trying to learn Japanese

kawaiitoast's Avatar kawaiitoast10/9/14 5:47 pm
11/22/2014 8:37 pm
Morneite's Avatar Morneite
So, I'm trying to teach myself Japanese and I made this chart of words I've learned so far. Can someone who knows Japanese fluently tell me if I did the characters right?
Thanks

kawaiitoast
Level 9 : Apprentice Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/22/2014 8:37 pm
Level 23 : Expert Crab
Morneite
oh and btw, i dunno if it's already been stated, but the more common "i'm sorry" is "sumimasen". "gomenasai" is more used for major apologies. or at least, that's what my teacher told me.
10/11/2014 1:52 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
It's misleading by having 日本の translated to 'Japanese'.
That means 'a Japanese thing' or 'belonging to Japan'.

日本語 means 'Japanese language'. Don't confuse yourself.

My advice for learning would be getting a tutor, or finding a native speaker. Nothing will ever beat learning a language from someone who knows it well. The internet is no substitute.
10/11/2014 1:20 am
Level 40 : Master Dolphin
dolphinsarecool3
There is also for the 'Japanese' one there is 日本語 (nihongo) which means Japanese as in the language and there is 日本人(nihonjin) which means Japanese as the people. Also drop the の 'no' as it is a particle
10/11/2014 1:03 am
Level 23 : Expert Crab
Morneite
I'd just like to point out something that someone has probably already pointed out, good morning isn't "ohayo", it's "ohayo gozaimasu"
10/11/2014 1:53 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
おはよう is a more casual/less formal version.

It's like saying 'Morning' rather than 'Good Morning', which is おはようございます.
10/11/2014 12:59 am
Level 25 : Expert Pony
RamenBrother
First of all, try focusing on learning hiragana/katakana before getting into kanji unless you're desire is to communicate in Japanese through text, and try to learn the orders of the strokes, denshi-jisho shows the stroke order of a kanji character you searched.
Also, I can teach you a bit of grammar so you can engage in regular conversations, but It's difficult to teach since I'm native speaker and I have some natural intonation.

(Anime isn't always a great way to learn Japanese directly, since actual Japanese people don't speak like that)
Good job though, and I wish you luck!
がんばれ!
10/10/2014 12:01 am
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
foxyさんは日本語のクラスをとりますか。:P
10/11/2014 1:42 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
はい =P
でもいちねんせいです。
you sure that "take" really fits the meaning of "attend" in this situation?
する seems like it would fit better.
10/11/2014 2:25 am
The_Big_Dish
Well idk that is how we were using it in in my class so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have also been taking it for a year, working on my second year now. The school only requires 2 years for a language course but maybe I will do a third year if I can fit it in lol.
10/10/2014 1:50 pm
kawaiitoast
nice one
10/09/2014 11:39 pm
Foxy
InsipidTreeDefinitely right. Japanese is wonderful that way. Hard part is that the sentence structure is so different from English.

The basic sentence structure isn't actually too difficult, especially compared to some languages I've seen at least. It almost sounds sometimes like yoda-talk if you keep the placement of the words when translating.
10/09/2014 11:34 pm
Level 26 : Expert Crafter
InsipidTree
The_Big_DishI have a few tips for you, I would focus on learning hiragana and katakana (the basic alphabet) first since they are the fundamentals of the pronunciations and spelling in Japanese and they will help you understand the spelling and pronunciation of japanese words. The nice thing about japanese is most of the words are pronounced exactly how they are spelled unlike in english (with some exceptions of course).

Definitely right. Japanese is wonderful that way. Hard part is that the sentence structure is so different from English.
10/09/2014 11:22 pm
Foxy
The way you've defined a few of the words like "Japanese" here makes me think you might not know exactly what the words are supposed to mean. For instance nihon is Japan and no is just a particle that just shows it's an adjective so nihon no shows that the noun following no is Japanese. You can't use "nihon no" for saying things like "the Japanese"
Soooo make sure you're learning the actual word and not a combination of the word and a particle

You might already know half of what I've said here so sorry if I'm repeating things
10/09/2014 11:21 pm
The_Big_Dish
Foxy
kawaiitoastSo, I'm trying to teach myself Japanese and I made this chart of words I've learned so far. Can someone who knows Japanese fluently tell me if I did the characters right?
Thanks

Things like the end of arigato should be pronounced ga to rather than gat to
konnichiwa should be kohn ni...rather than koh ni...
kitto should be pronounced kit to
(it's actually important)

You might want to draw the top of the Hiragana tsu character longer. The curve at the bottom shouldn't be as long as the top
Your Hiragana no should be a little more even. The end curve shouldn't be below that beginning loop

Also hope you're learning at least Hiragana (and the correct strokes to write them) before you actually start trying to get into words, otherwise things like the small tsu (double consonant marker) might end up confusing you.

Also you probably shouldn't be trying to learn Kanji before you know Hiragana and Katakana well

Correct phonetic sounds is also important unless you want to have a hugely noticeable accent. Many consonant sounds in Japanese are different from English sounds (r probably being the most notably different). Things like sh, r, f, h, and a few others are only written as sh r f h... because those are the closest things we have in English that sound like them.

^^^ good advice

also @minimuzza2 I noticed you either miswrote 3 as "sun" it is written as "san"
10/09/2014 11:10 pm
Foxy
kawaiitoastSo, I'm trying to teach myself Japanese and I made this chart of words I've learned so far. Can someone who knows Japanese fluently tell me if I did the characters right?
Thanks

Things like the end of arigato should be pronounced ga to rather than gat to
konnichiwa should be kohn ni...rather than koh ni...
kitto should be pronounced kit to
(it's actually important)
sayonara should be something like sy yoh rather than sy oh

You might want to draw the top of the Hiragana tsu character longer. The curve at the bottom shouldn't be as long as the top
Your Hiragana no should be a little more even. The end curve shouldn't be below that beginning loop

Also hope you're learning at least Hiragana (and the correct strokes to write them) before you actually start trying to get into words, otherwise things like the small tsu (double consonant marker) might end up confusing you.

Also you probably shouldn't be trying to learn Kanji before you know Hiragana and Katakana well

Correct phonetic sounds is also important unless you want to have a hugely noticeable accent. Many consonant sounds in Japanese are different from English sounds (r probably being the most notably different). Things like sh, r, f, h, and a few others are only written as sh r f h... because those are the closest things we have in English that sound like them.
10/09/2014 10:59 pm
Level 1 : New Network
minimuzza2
numbers in Japanese

1(ichi) 一
2(ni) 二
3(sun) 三
4(yon)  四
5(go) 五
6(roku) 六
7(nana) 七
8 (hatchi) 八
9 (qu)  九
10(ju) 十
and 11 12 ect is
11 ju itchi
12 ju ni
and 20 21 ect
20 ni ju
21 ni ju itchi
10/09/2014 9:39 pm
The_Big_Dish
Kpop2pm
Well, No shit Sherlock

what is with the hostility? I am just trying to give some advice...

I don't think it is that obvious, I wouldn't have know exactly where to start either had I not been taking classes.
10/09/2014 9:35 pm
The_Big_Dish
I have a few tips for you, I would focus on learning hiragana and katakana (the basic alphabet) first since they are the fundamentals of the pronunciations and spelling in Japanese and they will help you understand the spelling and pronunciation of japanese words. The nice thing about japanese is most of the words are pronounced exactly how they are spelled unlike in english (with some exceptions of course).

http://www.realkana.com/

this is a great site for learn the basic alphabet. Hiragana is used more frequently so I would focus a lot on that. Katakana is like same sounds and alphabet just written differently, it is used for foreign words.

THEN the large complex characters like in your chart for senpai/mirai are another set of characters called kanji which are borrowed chinese characters. There is a lot of them and they are frustrating as hell to learn so I would focus on memorizing some of those after you have hiragana/katakana down pretty well.
10/10/2014 1:48 pm
kawaiitoast
Yeah I knew about the three types of characters and I knew kanji was the hardest too XD
But anyways thanks so much for the tips, i will definitley look into that website. Soon I'll be able to watch anime without subtitles!
10/09/2014 9:37 pm
Level 27 : Expert Sweetheart
Exoh
Well, No -snip- Sherlock
10/09/2014 9:31 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Toast
DiscoToad
Nihon go

That's all I found wrong with it. Either that or my mom, aunt, grandma, and cousin have all been saying it wrong.
10/09/2014 9:36 pm
The_Big_Dish
oh right I thought it said just japan, nihongo = japanese language, nihon = japan
10/09/2014 9:29 pm
The_Big_Dish
I am not entirely fluent but I did notice some you misspelled a few (btw I have a blog about japanese if you are interested lol, I don't go too much in depth but feel free to look over it)

baka would be spelled like: ばか you need to add 2 lines that look like quotes above は
japan is just "nihon" 日本 so drop the の

there might be a few other errors here and there but I didn't notice them.

btw you have very good handwriting though in japanese, yours looks much better than mine XD
10/09/2014 9:33 pm
kawaiitoast
Thanks for the advice!
10/09/2014 9:36 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Toast
DiscoToad
Yea, my mom looked over it and she said it would end up saying "haka"
10/09/2014 9:24 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
Z645
Close nuff.
10/09/2014 9:22 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Using my non-existent knowledge of Japanese, I'd say it looks about right.
10/09/2014 9:17 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Programmer
EnderMiner77
I'm trying to learn japanese too so I can read manga. I already have knowledge of chinese, so I think it would be easy for me. So, how do you learn it? A website, or a book or something?
10/09/2014 9:21 pm
kawaiitoast
Well most of the words I've picked up from watching anime with subtitles. I then went to various websites (including google translate) to find the characters and copied them down. I'm trying to teach myself for now, but eventually I will enroll in a program to fully learn the language
10/09/2014 5:50 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Fisherman
Aegeah
(Psssst... simg to make it fit) Nice c:
10/09/2014 9:00 pm
kawaiitoast
Thanks XD
I forgot to do that... hope it works now
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024