Unreasonable Parent Stories

The_Big_Dish's Avatar The_Big_Dish9/27/14 2:17 am
1 emeralds 3.2k 128
10/1/2014 5:19 pm
The_Big_Dish's Avatar The_Big_Dish
This is for unreasonable stories about stuff your parents or other peoples parents. This is not like a thread for reasonable restrictions like like "my parents won't let me do x dangerous thing" or "they won't buy me x overly priced thing". Comments like "parents are 100% reasonable and never wrong in judgment" or "you will understand when you are a parent" are also not appreciated.

Anyway some stories:
My parents have always been terribly inconsistent in what is acceptable and what is not so I never know what they will blow over and what they will not care about.

Randomly at 17 years old my dad tried put a timed restriction on my computer, because he didn't like me going online so late. Like never have done anything like that for my entire youth and when I am borderline legal adult they decide they don't like me on past 12 am...well I just removed it after it was added and he utterly completely forgot about it after a week.

Then a more extreme example my mom "grounded" my younger sister literally because all my sister told her not to tell racist stories to her friends. She was so mad that refused to drive my sister and her friend places for awhile and I think didn't let her go to her friend's house either.

Anyway what is your stories?
The_Big_Dish
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/01/2014 5:19 pm
The_Big_Dish
It is fine snowyfox this is a place to vent lol, post all the stories you want XD
10/01/2014 5:14 pm
The_Big_Dish
Semaphorism
And there is nothing wrong with that. If someone is learning good morals from a show, that is fine.

no nothing wrong I was just joking because based on your avatar it was obvious
10/01/2014 3:57 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Sorry for my hyperlong posts, guys. And I didn't implement bolding this time, because this is one of the first times most of the stuff I write are actually important to the point instead of blatant ranting. So sorry for the horribly-hard-to-read paragraphs.
10/01/2014 4:01 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
Don't worry, your writing is nice to read You put effort into it.
10/01/2014 3:47 pm
Snowyfox
OP, you really were asking for it when you created this thread. Ban me first from PMC before making this.

Mum literally already dished out a few hundred bucks trying to get me to apply pimples cream. She still doesn't catch the drift that I am fundamentally AGAINST using such things. She still keeps believing I'm just being lazy or something. Sure, on one side I agree that I should just shut up and apply the things to stop her from idiotically wasting peoples' time and more money, but on the other hand I can't really imagine a situation where I won't be pissed applying such things onto my face every night and day. And not to mention I am in good standing with pimples; I barely even dislike them.

*EDIT* I have 2 brothers. One is in good standing with mum, and other, not so much. Everytime me or the bad-standing brother tries to talk to mum, we get bashed up to death. Everytime she tries to bash us up, we can't really say anything. It's not really in an abusive way, and it's not like we are literally muted, but I'd attempt to make a snowman if she actually ever listens to what we are trying to say.

I don't pity myself much since I'm a mostly quiet person, and everytime I try to make a minor rebellion, I get shut up by literally everybody else in the house (idk why ppl don't exactly like taking my side), so I already gave up trying to do those things (in fact, I promised to myself I would never attempt to do something of the like to my mum ever again because it'd be useless) (unlike her, I can actually give up trying).
But my elder brother, he's already an adult and he's already having most of his freedoms. He still lives in the house though, and he's not quite an absolute pain to live with (in fact, his cheerfulness helps a bit imo), but he "organizes his stuff" a bit differently compared to the rest of us and has a habit of putting clothing around. He buys things a lot too, even though he doesn't work anymore.

The last two parts, I understand why my mum is pissed, but oftentimes he has to painfully re-sort or search for his items everytime my mum just waltzes into his corner of the desk and rearranging everything. I see how it's a bit messy but I can also clearly see why he puts things that way; he's not the kind of person that would go the extra mile to put stuff in a drawer when he can put his most frequently used items conveniently behind his laptop. Even now in my desk, all my unused stuff are in a box and other stuff like the tablet, phones, keys, combs are well organized but still openly on the table. So I can also see why my mum is a bit unreasonable in constantly trying to enforce her style of organization to his corner of the room.

*EDIT 2* Also, even though I understand why some if not many or all of his habits would be annoying to my mum, I myself don't really care about such things. Maybe because I don't take care of the house. But, I am generally sympathetic to his side since my opinion somewhat lies in sync with his; he's also much more stronger in trying to get my mum to rest and enjoy stuff in life, largely due to his more pressing and louder voice. He doesn't shout or stuff like that tho, what I mean is that he has a more argument-like voice. Publicly against my mum.
10/01/2014 3:45 pm
Level 20 : Expert Toast
Tumblr_Cat
whenever there's people over my bedroom turns into guest's bedroom, and where do i sleep? on the couch while someone(sometimes even a guy that i don't know) takes over my bedroom(once a guy even asked the password to my computer)i have to sleep in the kitchen/living room, and since my dad watches tv while sitting on said couch i have to wait hours before he leaves, and during that time i can't go to my bedroom because someone is using it! How lovely
10/01/2014 3:44 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Geek
Skullduggerycain
Well, it wasn't really my parents fault, but here we go:

So about 2 years ago I suffered from severe depression. My parents decided that instead of talking to me about it, they were going to sign me up to see 3 different therapists every week for as long as it took for my depression to be cured (which took about 7 months). The therapy ended up making it worse, since two of the three therapists literally thought that to cure depression, all they needed to do was tell me how much I sucked and how worthless I was. I'm not exactly sure how this was supposed to help. Nonetheless, I became suicidal because of it. I was cutting myself, thinking about suicide on a regular basis, etc. And thanks to my therapists, and my parents, not knowing what the therapists were saying (but I thought they did), telling me that whatever the therapists said was right, and I should listen to them. Eventually I actually did talk to my parents about it, and they were horrified. We got rid of the 2 nasty therapists, and I went to the third one on a regular basis. Eventually, my depression was cured, and now I live a great life. So the moral of the story is: Yes, sometimes parents may do stupid things, but most of the time, it's only because they want you to be happy.
10/01/2014 3:42 pm
Snowyfox
It's also funny sometimes. I'm not given an allowance, except for random snacks or lunch that I can pay for randomly. But I dare not attempt to save up those cash for something I'd like (usually a digital device). My dad bought me this Alienware X51, and I considerably like it, but at that time (and still now), I was keeping my eyes more on a Raspberry Pi. $80 compared to $1000. Until now, I still have not had a chance of getting the Pi.

But to be fair, these kinds of things are temporary desires. I now like the Beaglebone Black more than the Raspberry Pi. And I keep my eye on the new Dell Inspiron 15r more than either of these two. I don't mind playing in lag; it'd be nice if I have a computer I hand-picked my own, lol. I'm incredibly fussy, which also caused problems at times. Not that I don't like my fussiness, but it'd be nice if I had a way of figuring out which of my wishes were more permanent and which were more temporary.

But seriously, oftentimes I am offered a lot of expensive stuff that I don't like, and I'm always shunned for asking things that are cheaper and stuff I want. My dad is more lenient in these matters, but he's starting to be a bit slightly strict, so I plan to just eventually work and then start allocating some stuff. Maybe $2 per day for my personal use. I feel safer using my own money than others' money, no matter how generous or nonchalant they are about such things.
10/01/2014 3:36 pm
Snowyfox
She also loves playing Candy Crush Saga, Farm Heroes Saga and Pet Rescue Saga. Three games she loves complaining about; she says she often doesn't know what to do (and she has proven it; each of her sons have won her a few games with a few powerups, magical things she never used because she never knows how to use them).

She's also in borderline addiction with it. The only thing that beats her love of constantly losing matches for over 24 hours until she finally wins is her work. I've tried convincing her to ditch the games or allocate the time for a bit of others that I'd introduce to her. Some of the suggestions, I was joking, but some are serious. I'd always recommend her easy and non-stressful games. Honestly, the games I tell her to try out are generally easier than the 3 puzzle games she plays.

But she never listens to me at all. I doubt she even tries to parse the words I say. Her response 95% of the time is "Don't talk to me right now, I'm already dizzy playing these games". Oftentimes this phrase contradicts her denial or even supports my statements. lol. I'm thinking maybe she's a kind of game-masochist, where her fun comes from winning a level after stressful playing (have you seen the way she cheers when she wins? She's always beaming and laughing and sometimes even shouting when she does win). But even if you like playing games like that, where you keep facing challenges until you get a nice plump reward, seeing from the way she plays it, it seems a bit too steep. She should find a game that's similar but lower in difficulty. Something she can win more often.

She's almost level 400 (maybe she passed it, idk) in Candy Crush Saga. I can imagine the pain she would have if suddenly the game shut down or a bug nuked all progress. It's never safe to play a game that hard without any reliable backups.

Typing more. Give me a second.
10/01/2014 3:30 pm
Snowyfox
I've had countless minor ones, but that's because of my belief where I don't see things as right or wrong, so it's both incredibly easy and also incredibly hard for me to justify my parents' actions. I've generally been living with my mum alone my entire life (although before we came to Canada, I was also with my dad a lot, but significantly less than my mum since he's working and she isn't). I don't really commend a lot of the things she does.

Sure, she does feed me and is a bit overkill in keeping her children comfortable, but I've constantly asked her to rest but she keeps insisting that she will not sit down for a few seconds until her work is done. 100% of the time, her "work" is literally multiple hours of work. She has constant health problems but she refuses to stop working. She also nags the CRAP out of us, flipping out after 5 minutes of something "not right". I like to tell her to just leave it there for a while and we'll settle it, and if we don't settle it overnight, intentionally leave it there until the person who did the crime gets pissed by their own actions. She refuses. She won't even leave it there past 180 seconds if she notices. She keeps complaining that we are lazy but yet she doesn't even give us a chance to learn or manage the house our own way. All of us are expected to have the exact same work ethic as her; and imo, that work ethic is suicidal. I cannot bring myself to simply follow along. So it's both of our problems.

Typing more. Give me a second.
10/01/2014 3:13 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Cake
Loyally
If your parents take away your computer make a bonfire in you garden (make sure it's controlled) and when your parents come out tell them if you don't have computers your brain turns to jelly
10/01/2014 3:06 pm
Level 27 : Expert Button Pusher
Zulu 6
forgot to take a shower = No computer for 3 weeks...All i did was forget to take a shower
09/30/2014 8:49 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Engineer
Quanto__
I'm almost 15.

My dad is the worst about computers.

He says:

"All your chores, homework, etc. must be done before you get to play computer."

Ok, that's reasonable.

<Does stuff. Has been playing for an hour>

Dad: "Ok, no more computers today."
Me: "Why? I did all my stuff.
Dad: "It's not productive."

There are other times. Like when I get to the car 1 minute late.

"YOU WEREN'T IN THE CAR ON TIME! NO COMPUTER!"

Sometimes he just gets mad. This happens every month or two. He has a big blowup, and a new regime is made. The regime lasts a week, then it slowly goes back to what it was before.

He also has this thing where he wants us to play sports.

[NEWS FLASH] I'm not athletic.

My mom has two basic rules.

1. No computer on weekdays. (This one kills me. Especially if I have all my work done.)
2. No computers/phones in bedrooms. (Ok... I sorta get that. But it's not like I want to do something inappropriate.)

(No, my parents aren't devorced.)
09/30/2014 8:43 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
Bloon23
OreoVal
IrishChaosMine blame EVERYTHING on my computer, no joke.

I forgot to do something? No computer.
I don't move the instant someone calls me? Must be the computer!
I don't all A's in my school? Again, computer.

This is exactly what my dad does, too.

Eew. Such stupidity. That's kind of sad and makes me cry for humanity
09/30/2014 8:39 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
Ghei
When I first came out as an athiest, my dad was fine with it. My Mom on the other hand....I had to endure weeks of "Well why should you have morals?" "Where did the big bang come from" and, my favorite of all: "If we came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys." I didn't even want to talk about my "religion", but she kept pushing at me until i kinda snapped and said she had less compassion then Stalin. THAT was a mistake of saying...
10/01/2014 12:59 pm
planetminecrafter52342
Quite unreasonable, you don't need to believe something or follow a figure to have morals.

I learned some of my morals from a TV show, you could guess which one, however it is an example.
10/01/2014 3:35 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
Ghei
I agree completley
10/01/2014 1:28 pm
The_Big_Dish
is it...ponies lol
10/01/2014 1:52 pm
planetminecrafter52342
And there is nothing wrong with that. If someone is learning good morals from a show, that is fine.

however; back to the topic, parents have the power to help shape society a lot. If parents raise a child very well, and guide them the right way, that child can become very successful. And the same applies for the opposite, parents can raise them badly, and they could become bad people. Don't get me wrong, not every bad childhood results in a bad person. Unreasonable parenting can and most likely will affect how the child's personality and/or life is like.
09/30/2014 8:28 pm
Level 46 : Master Princess
OreoVal
IrishChaosMine blame EVERYTHING on my computer, no joke.

I forgot to do something? No computer.
I don't move the instant someone calls me? Must be the computer!
I don't all A's in my school? Again, computer.

This is exactly what my dad does, too.
09/30/2014 8:02 pm
Level 1 : New Network
WarpCircuit
My parents have been beyond good to me, so do not take this as me disliking them.

As a child I had ADD (There is no H I am forgetting). My parents rather thought I was asinine and decided to leave me at a public mall for over 8 hours, picking me up at 1 am or so (I was kicked out of the mall and was very scared) Then when I came home they locked me in my room without dinner. Kinda cruel but my mom and dad still apologize about it after I was diagnosed.
09/30/2014 4:33 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
ImpliedPixelOnce I was told to go to bed, and I was saving my art I was making and after two mins later my dad bursts in screaming I SAID GO TO BED and threw my laptop in the floor and tip my chair over and started choking me..

You should be going to the police about this instead of talking about it here. That's child abuse. :/
09/30/2014 4:30 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
ImpliedPixel
Once I was told to go to bed, and I was saving my art I was making and after two mins later my dad bursts in screaming I SAID GO TO BED and threw my laptop in the floor and tip my chair over and started choking me..

Other then that my parents won't let me play any teen games or M games, even though I'm 15.. they think I will go execute everyone at school. If anyone is familiar with the Lego games, they won't let me play them because they have lightsabers and stuff... I can't wait till I move out
09/30/2014 5:44 pm
Level 21 : Expert Archer
Diamondcrafter_3
uumm... if that first pari is true, you should call the police asap. Your dad cant do that. And about the lego games.... that is just sad. I would also want to get out of there asap.
09/30/2014 6:18 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Modder
Calm_Hawk
No doubt, but that sounds too much like a Simpsons episode to be true.but then again, that's why the Homer choking Bart gag has been pretty much removed from the series, because it is wrong.
09/30/2014 5:28 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NonExistingName
I'm sorry but I don't believe that first part. It sounds like something out of the simpsons.

But if it is true, I'm very sorry, and you should def call the police.
09/30/2014 4:34 pm
The_Big_Dish
if your dad does that again you should call the police that is not legal to assault someone, even your child. If you are not comfortable you could try to tell a school counselor or another trusted adult to call for you. Or if you feel too uncomfortable or scared you could just wait till you are legally of age and leave asap. :/

(also M games are technical for people 18 and up they won't even sell them to you without a ID but most of them are not that bad anyway)
09/30/2014 4:24 pm
The_Big_Dish
Semaphorism
NetworkPCE
"Being atheist:Our son worships satan", worshiping satan is the opposite of what atheists do, ,

^^^ Agreed.

For the topic.
It's more of an older parent and child situation, however; My mom's best friend's husband always did harm to her, so she left him (Good thing), however, her mother said she must stay with him because of what she believes., even though it is harmful towards her in both mental and physical ways. It's unreasonable of a parent to think that.

I was debating on posting this, however, it does relate to the topic.

It is related, even adults may have living parents that are unreasonable.

That situation is terrible, I am glad she got out. No one should stay in an abusive relationship.
09/30/2014 3:56 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Scribe
Akeustlom
Once I had a big project over the weekend and waited until bedtime to start it and got grounded. The End
09/30/2014 3:50 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Chaotic Pulse
09/30/2014 3:50 pm
Chaotic Pulse
this is a fos roh dah
09/30/2014 3:43 pm
Chaotic Pulse
my dad is an asshole. he constantly punches mah face and when we muck about, he takes it too far and throws me. and if you sneak up on him he will turn around and fos roh dah you
09/30/2014 3:44 pm
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
There is this thing called the police.
09/30/2014 3:53 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Cake
Loyally
Agree or social services
Or learn ninjutsu and then he'll leave you alone
09/30/2014 3:31 pm
NonExistingName
My parents aren't really restrictive, they let me read, write, draw and build. However my dad thinks he's the overlord of the family. Once he wouldn't let me finish a book I was writing bcs it had "violence" (in one of the scenes a brother, who was effed up in the head, had a dream about killing his sister). I am writing a novel who I put a lot of work into, and I'm not showing, or telling, neither of them about it. Also, my dad once drove off after waiting for me for 5 minutes at school, while I was talking to a friend. When I told him why he did that, he said "You shouldn't had kept me waiting"

Another time, he offered to take me and my friend (we were both at my place, doing an project) to have ice cream. We said ok, and started saving and closing the project. In the meantime my dad stormed off for the exact same reason as mentioned above.

He always thinks I'm mocking him when I take just a little bit more time to do something he told me so. I never do that. I NEVER mock any of my parents. I don't get it, I have good grades, don't get in trouble... *sigh* 1st world problems i guess
09/30/2014 3:38 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Ninja
DatFox
for this, keep telling him your coming
09/30/2014 5:24 pm
NonExistingName
Nah, doesnt work.
Also, be careful with your choice of words. And smilies.
09/30/2014 3:29 pm
planetminecrafter52342
NetworkPCE
"Being atheist:Our son worships satan", worshiping satan is the opposite of what atheists do, ,

^^^ Agreed.

For the topic.
It's more of an older parent and child situation, however; My mom's best friend's husband always did harm to her, so she left him (Good thing), however, her mother said she must stay with him because of what she believes., even though it is harmful towards her in both mental and physical ways. It's unreasonable of a parent to think that.

I was debating on posting this, however, it does relate to the topic.
09/30/2014 2:02 pm
OreoVal
My entire life, I have never been able to have or go to a sleepover. Not with even one friend, whose family my parents trust.
Yet, I'm allowed to go to camp every year, in a different state, for an entire week, with hundreds of people I don't know.
But, I can't have a sleepover with friends?
Unreasonable, much?

And, my parents do other stuff that's weird. Like, my mom sometimes drops me and my brother off at the library for a couple hours. My dad won't let me walk in by myself for 30 seconds to return a few books.
My dad lets me sit in the car by the pump at the gas station while he goes in to pay, but noo, my mom makes me go with her because "gas stations are one of the most dangerous places," even if she can see the car through the window.
My mom lets me and my brother go halfway across the store to grab stuff for her while we're shopping, but my dad won't let me go one aisle over.
It wouldn't seem quite as drastic, if they agreed on all that stuff. xD
09/30/2014 2:58 pm
NetworkPCE
How old are you....?
09/30/2014 4:27 pm
OreoVal
I'm 13.
09/30/2014 1:30 pm
Tumblr_Cat
okay, i am really curious(not sure if i wrote that correctly) but how many can relate to this, what i'm about to write is sort of how parents see the things that you do

staying on the computer:drugs, he's gonna get kidnapped and he is spending our money in horrible drugs things

reading a book:omg our son is an antisocial, he never goes out with his friends

not having a girlfriend:our son is gay

being atheist:our son worships satan

son gets one bad grade: WHERE DID WE GO WRONG?????

as i said, i hope someone relates to this
09/30/2014 4:21 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Explorer
Kenified
i can relate to being atheist (i tryed to tell them once didnt have pc for a week until i told em it was just a joke cause i didnt want to go to church on sunday ._.) and getting one bad grade....
09/30/2014 3:01 pm
NetworkPCE
"Being atheist:Our son worships satan", worshiping satan is the opposite of what atheists do, they don't believe in any supernatural people in the sky or in the ground. Atheist just means not believing in anything. Only a parent who doesn't know the meaning of being "atheist" would say this,
09/30/2014 1:41 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Lad
rotarydial
My friend's parents do this, they blocked websites like amazon and ebay and only let her read books like winnie the pooh and the gruffallo, and although those are cute books and whatever she's twelve years old.
09/30/2014 2:55 pm
The_Big_Dish
That is just so wrong, she needs to read books more at her age level otherwise she might struggle with reading :/ (at least they make you read in class so she might be fine idk).
09/30/2014 2:59 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Lad
rotarydial
She's in the top reading group (lol yes my highschool has reading groups) even though she never has a chance to read at home
09/30/2014 3:04 pm
The_Big_Dish
Oh that is great, school can provide sometimes provide freedom from restrictive parents.
09/30/2014 1:20 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Ninja
DatFox
my dad talks about me behind my back, I know he does and i've caught him lots of times when he thought I was out, my mum tells him to stfu cuz he shouldnt basically and I just ignore it, I don't ever tell him I knew
09/30/2014 1:17 pm
Tumblr_Cat
hello, me again, this one is a short one: basically, when i became an atheist my parents faked to be ok with that but suddently, they invited the priest of the nearby church to dinner so we could discuss about it
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome