I want to start coding plugins. Where do I start?

UnceCrafter's Avatar UnceCrafter4/24/13 11:42 pm
1 emeralds 235 7
4/25/2013 1:43 am
UnceCrafter's Avatar UnceCrafter
Guys, I want to start coding plugins, but I have no idea where to learn what to do, or what to do at the start. Simple guides to creating Minecraft plugins don't really help because they just teach you the basics. Can anyone help me start?
UnceCrafter
Level 10 : Journeyman Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/25/2013 12:16 am
Level 48 : Master Technomancer
undeadkillz
Well, it all depends on what type of learner you are. I learned by reading other people's codes, and changing bit by bit, until the whole code changed, from that I learned how to work on plugins. I would suggest learning the very basics, like If Statements, Variables, Functions and the rest will come as you code. I would also suggest searching Bukkit forums for coding help, there is almost 95% of the time a question asked, which you have too. Sometimes you could even see different style of coding, and learn new ways to expand your knowledge.

Click to reveal
That 5% is mostly packets or something advanced.

Go on simple Bukkit plugin pages, and search for the Source, usually found on GitHub, and try to make a similar project to the one they made, and see how far you get, without using their code. Of course this is after you have learned the very basics.

This is the one of the easier methods to learn, other methods would be watching Youtube videos, or reading books about Java.
04/25/2013 12:05 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
CrystalClearMC
Hey,

I have made a few plugins myself! Let me tell you this, it is not very easy unless you know basic Java skills. You should learn some basic Java before thinking about developing Bukkit plugins.

My favorite tutorials are made by TheNewBoston. I have linked you to the very first video in the beginners tutorial playlist.

Enjoy,
Dylan
04/25/2013 1:43 am
UnceCrafter
Thanks Dylan, that's exactly what I was looking for
04/25/2013 12:00 am
Level 49 : Master Modder
stepeffect
First off, you'll need to learn some java. I know this isn't what most people want to hear, but unless you just want to create various "new block" plugins, you'll need to understand how the code actually works and NOT just which words to switch out to change the colour or strength of a block and whatnot. Find a beginners guide to java. You could look for online websites, but I would recommend books instead, as they're better. You can download e-copies of many for free. Then, once you can make a few basic programs on your own (should only take a week or so to get to this point, if you read a bit each day) and have a basic understanding of what symbols and structures java uses, go into the minecraft code and start reading it, "decoding" it and figuring out what each part does. (There are many guides on how to download and use the Minecraft Coder Pack to decompile Minecraft into readable files.) Experiment and make couple simple mods, just to get the hang of it. THEN, you should head on over to the bukkit forums, and from the resources there you can learn how to adapt your mods to multiplayer plugins.

NOTE: I haven't made any minecraft mods since before the internal servers and new modding support (I think?) were added. So my experience is circa 2011/ 2012.
04/24/2013 11:55 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
drab
Well if I were you i woudl look on the bukkit fourms Link = http://bukkit.org/

And look for a modder (Dev) and ask for help
04/24/2013 11:50 pm
UnceCrafter
Im hoping maybe some people who actually create plugins tell me where they started
04/24/2013 11:47 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Engineer
Rawwk
Youtube.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome